Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Breadfan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dickerson.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Searched for previous topics on this, and there were stunningly none (unless I used the wrong search terms). I've had airballs on my IJ that hit the glass pretty hard (hooray for superbands!). Does anybody know of an airball shattering the glass, and is this a common occurrence?

#2 9 years ago

Never seen or heard of one.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

God I hope not!!!

#4 9 years ago

I have been collecting for 40+ years, and never have I heard of one incident where this has happened. I have however seen a few shatter / pop when one of my numbnutz friends Fist pounded the glass after a House ball.

Brian
    Madison heights MI

#5 9 years ago

Balls often get stuck behind the Sanctum drop target on The Shadow. During the ball search, the drop target goes down, the ball rolls over it, then the drop target is fired upwards, causing the ball to hit the glass at a perpendicular angle, and quite hard. This has not chipped or fractured, never mind shattered, the glass on my game. I can't imagine too many airballs hitting the glass with as much force (anything off the flippers will hit at quite a shallow angle), so I don't think there's any danger of genuine pinball glass shattering. If ordinary glass has been used to replace the original glass however...

#6 9 years ago

You can pretty much crack the middle of the glass with a ball as hard as you can and it wont break. It's the edges that are delicate. I had one just shatter in my hands one time and I hit nothing with it. It just went to pellets all over the floor of a bar. Same thing happened to an employee once. It was the oddest feeling right before it shattered. It was kind of like a strange vibration. One second I was holding it and the next second it was all over the floor.

#7 9 years ago

If somebody was to use non-tempered glass, I'm sure it would. I have received games with non-tempered and replaced it promptly. You can tell by the sharp edges.

#8 9 years ago

Didn't someone recently post that some cusp or something above a VUK failed and the ball went straight through the glass from the extreme amount of vertical force? o_o;

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It's a jarringly loud sound (as you all know), and was wondering if I should wear goggles.

#10 9 years ago

funkyfresh fred smashes them all the time. el o el

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks for the replies. It's a jarringly loud sound (as you all know), and was wondering if I should wear goggles.

I would not worry unless you have plate glass. Of course plate glass should be swapped out immediately if you know its there anyway.

#12 9 years ago

Never seen this, but I did have a playfield glass explode in my hands years ago at Allentown Show. Had just removed it & never touched anything. It wasn't plate glass.

#13 9 years ago

Had the walking dead drop target reset the the other day and the ball rolled over it throwing it up into the glass...didnt break but scared the crap out of me!!!

#14 9 years ago

The people who had glass shatter in their hands - wearing rings? Just curious if that's the culprit or if the glass flexed and shattered....

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackster:

Just curious if that's the culprit or if the glass flexed and shattered....

Temperature change or glass hit by sound waves.

LTG : )™

#16 9 years ago

I was an operator for over 10 years and never had one break in a game while being played but I did take one out to clean and touch the floor in the wrong way and poof it was gone, But my mistake not the game! Really a bitch to clean up, lol

#17 9 years ago

I'd find it hard to believe it's never happened, but it would be a rare occurrence. Likely with already damaged/scratched glass.

#18 9 years ago

I have seen this question several times before and I have never seen a post with anyone hearing of it happening.

It is kind of amazing it doesn't but safety glass is pretty tough stuff. That is as long as you don't bump the edge!

#19 9 years ago

Many games are designed to make the ball hit the glass (Comet, Whitewater....) so if they thought that the glass was at risk, Williams would not have done it.

#20 9 years ago

Wearing these during pin play should be standard (for you cupcakes)

dickerson.jpgdickerson.jpg

#21 9 years ago

I don't wear any jewelry. I think it was just random failure of the glass (likely due to age & stress over the years). No temperature change & it wasn't that noisy at the time.

#22 9 years ago

I saw a Centaur game shatter the glass at a show from an airball. Wow....what a mess! It was quite a noise too.

#23 9 years ago

If I were to put my money on which game would shatter glass it would be Whitewater or Devil's dare, but have never heard of it happening. I think I would still be afraid to put a piece of $300 no glare glass in WW though.

#24 9 years ago

Heard of an EM game being played with the playfield glass off, and an air ball took out the backglass. Yikes!

#25 9 years ago

I wonder if a powerball being ceramic would do a better job of it.

#26 9 years ago

Has anyone ever been hit in the boingloings with an airball while playing with the glass off?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

Has anyone ever been hit in the boingloings with an airball while playing with the glass off?

No, but I've had the ball hit the backglass when I had the glass off (no breakage, just heart attack).

#28 9 years ago

Fun Arcade In Miami Fl. Funhouse.. Trapdoor Shot the Ball up And Yes Busted the Glass. Was Playing A Addams Family Next to it when it Happened..1995. So it was a Factory Glass..

#29 9 years ago

I wasn't wearing any rings when the glass shattered in my hands. Nor was the employee who had it happen.

#30 9 years ago

On my Haunted house I got the same problem , sometime the ball hit pretty hard on the glass !!

#31 9 years ago

If you have ever played AC/DC prem/LE,the bell when hit just right will hit the glass so hard it makes you flinch. I used to worry about it,but now it makes me smile when it happends

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-an-airball-ever-shattered-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.