(Topic ID: 226906)

Has a theme or art package ever stopped you from buying a pin?

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by John_I
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acdc dcl (resized).jpg
    Pump up your collection.jpg
    3BD4C3C1-4731-463C-BA8A-0E93D1F7CA06 (resized).jpeg
    03C338B8-6797-4053-83A6-770D4F2CDEF0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I want a future spa to play, I don’t want to look at a future spa...

#52 5 years ago

WOZ & Iron Maiden are horrible themes .. for me .. themes matter a lot . A non license is better than a bad theme

#53 5 years ago

I passed on a Laser Cue about 15 years ago because of the backglass. I always regretted that decision, because it’s such a unique and fun pin. So I was elated to finally pick one up last weekend, in much nicer shape. Never pass up a game you love because you’re worried about what someone else will think.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

So, fellow mad lad, what's your jump ramp record? We talking double digits or triples here?

Oh jesus no. I had at least 2 fresh magnets in mine...I don;t think I ever made it over 4

#55 5 years ago

I absolutely can't stand the way Stern photoshops actors' faces all over their machines. Hence, I don't own a single Stern machine.

#56 5 years ago

I would really like to have a Metallica pin - one of my favorite groups, have all their records, only big name act I’ve seen live in many years, the game itself looks really nice..., game is loads of fun, but,
    - I don’t like music pins as I already have CDs
    - I struggle to get past the tastelessness of electrocuting somebody as a major feature
    - then they play Creeping Death during Sparky multiball - what’s up with that ? - should be Ride the Lightening
    - what’s with that awful hammer - doesn’t look a thing like on Kill ‘em All
    - so much focus on death - coffin, tombstone, Sparky - sure Metallica’s texts are super gloomy, but in my view this game really trivializes Metallica’s message
    - where does the snake come in - except as a little squiggle on the cover of the Black Album...

on the upside, it seems to be the only music pin where the band was involved (except Alice Cooper), so they seem to like it - who knows, maybe I’ll get one eventually.

#57 5 years ago

IMDN -- art and music are well done, just not my bag, baby!

Dialed In -- great shooting pin but I can't get past the "simcity/cell phone/Lawlor does disasters again" theme. You do the same pin with an Edgar Allen Poe theme for example and it would have been lights out (and non-licensed, there's no copyright on 19th century literature)...or any number of other themes...

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bwilson:

If it's a great player who gives a shit what's on the outside...

Me

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

I absolutely can't stand the way Stern photoshops actors' faces all over their machines. Hence, I don't own a single Stern machine.

What? only a few and mostly older games from Stern have this, kinda of a stupid reeason not to buy Stern pins but I've gotten use to that on Pinside. Its a great place to be stupid sometimes. Stupidside?

#60 5 years ago

Big Buck Hunter. Hard pass for animal killing.

#61 5 years ago

Lotr. I don’t like theme, or the artwork. Someone was trying to trade me one for a game I had bad... there are others I wouldn’t buy, but this was surely a chance that fell into my lap an I passed for sure!

#62 5 years ago

I once owned Gold Wings so no......

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

- then they play Creeping Death during Sparky multiball - what’s up with that ? - should be Ride the Lightening

Totally agree with this!

- what’s with that awful hammer - doesn’t look a thing like on Kill ‘em All

I don't know, but it seems like they were trying to mash Kill 'em All and the Hammer of Justice into a single object. I don't particular care for the look of it, but it is a cool ball lock.

I'm not going to challenge your other opinions on the game, but I think you might be over thinking it. I like/love Metallica (at least the earlier stuff). It sounds like you are a big fan too, so I'd suggesting just enjoying it.

#64 5 years ago

Would never stop me from buying a great playing pin but has cost me more to buy an LE vs.premium. I went with the LE on ST, TWD, GOT, Metallica and now IMDN mainly because of the art package. I like Metallica and IMDN premium art, just not as much as LE. Especially don’t like it when they put actor images all over the cabinet. Fewer actor images the better for me - unless they’re wearing masks.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

but I think you might be over thinking it.

You may be right about that.

Regarding the hammer, when I type Metallica Hammer of Justice into Google I get a lot of T-shirts with hammers that kind of look like the hammer in the Stern game - probably not a coincidence. No idea if that is an official band image. May be.

#66 5 years ago

I go by gameplay and if I have fun playing it. If themes mattered to me like they mattered to many other guys, then I would've missed out on cool pins like Baywatch and Big Hurt. I feel those two games in the lineup, along with The Shadow, offer some fantastic features that are very well integrated and allow the player fun interaction and control over the balls.

#67 5 years ago

I can overlook a lot of bad art if the game is good. Premier put out a lot of innovative, interesting games that are awful to look at.

But I'd never own a Lethal Weapon 3, Maverick or Nugent because having those racist a**holes staring back at me in my own home would be infuriating.

Also, The Sopranos, because the backglass features the ugliest cast ever assembled for a TV show.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Dialed In theme, audio and art turn me off so much that I would rather not even play it. I like the layout though, except the mick on a stick guy.

Funny how people are different. I wasn't sure what to think of DI until I played one. Theme and art really come together and I get it. It's refreshing to have a unique theme and a lot of it reminded me of 90's Lawlor B/W pins. It's a bit cartoony and goofy but I love that. Pins are supposed to be about having fun. Love to get one if they weren't so dang expensive.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Funny how people are different. I wasn't sure what to think of DI until I played one. Theme and art really come together and I get it. It's refreshing to have a unique theme and a lot of it reminded me of 90's Lawlor B/W pins. It's a bit cartoony and goofy but I love that. Pins are supposed to be about having fun. Love to get one if they weren't so dang expensive.

Agreed, DI is spot on.

I really like Woz as a theme as well.

To

#70 5 years ago

WOZ the sound made my ears bleed

#71 5 years ago

I do not mind a bad art package but annoying sound package can be a deal killer

#72 5 years ago

TX Sector's horrific backglass ruins an otherwise awesome art package/game.

#73 5 years ago

I love Sopranos and The Walking Dead but would never have those in my house around kids. I love Ripley's as a game but the world doesn't need more fake patois.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from classicgamefan:

I didn't buy an AC/DC pro (original version) because of the giant Angus head on the playfield.

Totally agree. I started working on a decal for that angus head but lost interest.

acdc dcl (resized).jpgacdc dcl (resized).jpg
    #75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Totally agree. I started working on a decal for that angus head but lost interest.[quoted image]

Nice.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Different strokes for sure and that's all good. I don't bag on anyone for having a DI, it's just no my cup. And I dig many of Pat's older Bally/WMS games like Banzai, ES, WW, FH, TAF, TZ etc but DI is downright cringe worthy for me.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

JJPotC, sadly.
    I just can't ever see myself getting one, despite the layout, toys and rules being absolutely awesome.
    I don't like PotC very much, and having Depp-face staring at you from in between the flippers ... that's a big no from me.
    Had this been commissioned after DI's acclaim, I could see it having been an original pirate theme ... but the license was acquired years ago when PotC was more relevant, and Depp didn't seem like such a toxic character.
    Given that they were allowed to use so little footage in the end, it would have made more sense for it to be an original theme, in retrospect.

$12500 CE version gets you Deppless between the flippers...

#78 5 years ago

I want to take back what I said about Batman 66. I never watched the show growing up but if I'm being honest with myself the game looks like a lot of fun. The code support for the game has been incredible and Lyman has created a very deep objective based ruleset for the game. I could see the great code support along with the cool toys being enough of a reason for me to buy one in the future.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Guys those are couch issues but not couchguments. You have to directly correlate pinball machines to couches, using the terms completely interchangeably, for it to be a couchgument.

If you're Canadian it's a Chesterfield-gument.

#80 5 years ago

For me the two that come to mind are LOTR specifically Path Of The Dead! Over and over and over and over and.... oh sorry. And of course STTNG. I really loved the Next Gen but that theme kills it for me. The game play and artwork awesome!

#81 5 years ago

Family Guy, KISS and Dialed In are themes that I could never stomach in my house. Fortunately none are good games in my mind, so not a big deal. On the other hand, Iron Maiden is a really good game despite the horrendous music. I could easily see myself owning one and swapping out the music for something more enjoyable personally.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Totally agree. I started working on a decal for that angus head but lost interest.

I really like it, dig Luci peeping out of corner. If you decide to make them I would take one. Willing to pay $20-$25 for one. Please let me know if you decide to make them.

Thanks

#83 5 years ago

Bay watch and ACDC. Bay watch actually IMHO plays pretty well but I just can't get by the artwork, or photo shop work is a better description. Love ACDC music but that angus head is absolutely pathetically done!

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Bay watch and ACDC. Bay watch actually IMHO plays pretty well but I just can't get by the artwork, or photo shop work is a better description. Love ACDC music but that angus head is absolutely pathetically done!

There's no Photoshop art on Baywatch - it's all hand-drawn and the backglass is a painting.
    I'm with you on ACDC, though.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

. Love ACDC music but that angus head is absolutely pathetically done!

Get a Premium. Problem solved.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-a-theme-or-art-package-ever-stopped-you-from-buying-a-pin/page/2?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.