(Topic ID: 226906)

Has a theme or art package ever stopped you from buying a pin?

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by John_I
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acdc dcl (resized).jpg
    Pump up your collection.jpg
    3BD4C3C1-4731-463C-BA8A-0E93D1F7CA06 (resized).jpeg
    03C338B8-6797-4053-83A6-770D4F2CDEF0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

For me theme and art are important but overall fun gameplay and rules are more important.

I was thinking how I don’t love Iron Maiden music. I had never really listened to Maiden so I thought maybe I just never gave them a chance. So lately I’ve looked their top songs on YouTube and if they come on the radio I let the song play instead of instantly changing. But they just don’t do it for me. So I was thinking if I could buy a Maiden in spite of the theme? I would say yes because the art is good, the music is not my cup of tea but I think I could tolerate it.

In the past I didn’t want to buy AcDc because I thought the art was bad but otherwise everything else was great so I did buy it. Just got around to change the translight art which I far prefer.

So my answer would be that in most cases I would buy something with bad art or theme. I’m sure if there was ever a horrible theme like say Backstreet Boys pin that would probably never buy but 98% of themes I think would be ok.

03C338B8-6797-4053-83A6-770D4F2CDEF0 (resized).jpeg03C338B8-6797-4053-83A6-770D4F2CDEF0 (resized).jpeg

3BD4C3C1-4731-463C-BA8A-0E93D1F7CA06 (resized).jpeg3BD4C3C1-4731-463C-BA8A-0E93D1F7CA06 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

I know i have never purchased AFM or MM because the themes don't really do nothing for me on those games they are great games but for that kind of money i rather buy a great game with theme i like.

#3 5 years ago

I’d love to have a P3 Lexy Lightspeed-Escape From Earth, but the art package and (cabinet and back box) kills it for me.

#4 5 years ago

I absolutely cannot stand one of the worst shows to ever grace television.....Baywatch. Dumb, stupid, horrid cheese that made me change the channel instantly back in the day.

Yet.....the pinball sits in my basement. Why? Because the game is fantastic.

Go get yourself that Iron Maiden. You won't regret it...

Later,
    EV

#5 5 years ago

Oh yeah just about every pin is killed for me because of it. If it plays amazing I might be able to get over a theme that doesn't interest me or terrible art but it won't last long thats for sure, However whether the art is good or bad if its just a awful shitty theme no chance, Dialed In/WOZ

#6 5 years ago

Whenever Bible Adventures comes out. That will be the first.

#7 5 years ago

Theme is big for me. Too many good games out there not to have what you can relate to and enjoy. I like playing Iron Maiden, but not sure it would last long in my home. I really never listened to their music and I am unable to relate. Same goes for BM66, I am sure it is turning out to be a great game, but for me I never grew up watching it and so I have zero interest. Now when it comes to cheap b titles-you can have some flexibility because you get a lot of bang for your buck. I probably would not own Barbwire if the layout and game play sucked. It has a unique, fun layout and so I look passed the cheesy theme. As far as art goes, the only pinball that would be banned in my home is Hard Body-the cheese factor is just too much.

I want to pump up my collection-but unable to look at possibly the worst pinball theme ever produced!

Pump up your collection.jpgPump up your collection.jpg
    #8 5 years ago

IMDN music sounds to me like cats fighting in the alley. I can't even listen to a complete song.........I bought the pin after playing two games on it.

#9 5 years ago

Has the “art package” on a person ever prevented you from sleeping with them?

I suppose there may be a few who “take every opportunity”, but people are visual. If it doesn’t check some boxes visually, not going to the dance.

#10 5 years ago

Yes I don't have many limitations in the household but theme is one of them. I'm prohibited from buying pins like TWD, ACDC, and BSD because of the young grandkids.

On the other hand I own Met and Indy 500 those themes
    Weren't on my need to buy list. Great pins.

#11 5 years ago

Hardbody and Future Spa. Had chances to buy both cheap and just couldn't do it.

#12 5 years ago

I like playing Ironmaiden, but I won't buy it.

#13 5 years ago

I would love a Walking Dead, but the theme just doesn't work in my house. The gameplay and theme are everything I'd want, but because of the theme it most likely won't be part of my long term collection.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Duvall:

Has the “art package” on a person ever prevented you from sleeping with them?

Yes

#15 5 years ago

Art killed Game of Thrones for me right off the bat. :/

#16 5 years ago

WOZ. Will never buy it due to the theme.

QSS

#17 5 years ago

Theme has prevented me from buying a game for my home. Both Batman 66 and Iron Maiden are two themes I just can't justify spending $5.5k to almost $8k on. For that type of money I need to really like the theme. I didn't grow up with the original Batman show or listened to Iron Maiden growing up so that's why I'm not a fan of either themes. Same goes for Munsters, never got into it as I didn't grow up with the show. However, I'll happily play both games on location as they are fun to play pins.

In regards to artwork usually I can overlook average or subpar art but that's not the case with GOT. The entire art package on that game is disappointed in my opinion and I can't believe the pro translite looks like it was made in MS Paint.

#18 5 years ago

Art package not so much, but theme definitely. I will play anything, but I have to like the theme to own one. Main reason I have never had a JJP game. Like others have said, also has stopped me from purchasing BM66, Iron Maiden (although both of those are lukewarm for me so maybe in the future). Also why I could never see myself buying a Munsters even if it lives up to all the pre-announce hype.

#19 5 years ago

Never. If it's a great player who gives a shit what's on the outside...

#20 5 years ago

No I've owned a No Fear.

#21 5 years ago

Well, thanks to Rudy’s creepy head and the carnival theme, my wife will not allow me to ever get a Funhouse...or Roadshow. She’s deathly afraid of clowns, mimes, the circus, ventriloquist dummies or anything closely related to all of the fore mentioned! Lucky for me I have a local friend who has a FH!

#22 5 years ago

Sure. I would not buy a several thousand dollar toy that does not appeal to me.

#23 5 years ago

Yes. Plenty of them, especially most of the recent ones.

#24 5 years ago

Depends. Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's just something I am not familiar with like a movie I never seen. Band pins are tough. Music can be very polarizing and if I don't like the music gameplay cannot save it. Art is very subjective. I don't mind bad art if the gameplay is good. Good art cannot save a pin with mediocre gameplay that's for sure. It's nice when they look pretty but they gotta play great. Bad art can sometimes have it's charm but it really comes down to price. Higher the price, the more I expect. With prices up on everything, tough to justify buying anything.

#25 5 years ago

Iron Maiden, The Walking Dead, and Metallica come to mind, especially the first two. Love the game play, theme will not get them into my house. 3 of the best gameplay pins Stern has made in the last 10 years, but they are no-go for me in terms of adding to my collection. Luckily Metallica was rethemed into GOTG, so it's an option......

Seriously though, if IMDN and/or TWD were rethemed to a more family friendly theme the rethemes would jump to the top of my next pin list immediately!

#26 5 years ago

Theme is huge for me. I have to look at these big ass machines sitting in my living space.

Have you ever bought a couch or a piece of art you felt looked like shit!??

I certainly never have- and I will never own Dialed In and many many others. I can go play games at a location and will enjoy most any pinball, just like I look at all the art in a museum but would shudder to imagine some of it on my wall. No different to me.

Its all personal preference and there is no wrong answer IMHO.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

Have you ever bought a couch or a piece of art you felt looked like shit!??

Remember everyone, you can say you were there the day the "couchgument" was born.

#28 5 years ago

I didnt buy Iron Maiden due to the band. Game played great and I had money for a premium set aside. After playing at sfge I passed. Really tried to like the music but there are so many other games I just passed. Gone are the days we have limited options if we want nib. Love jjp potc had money for that set aside and passed on that too after the changes were made. I may still own the game just not at full nib cost.

When buying for you home you can be very choosy where to put that money.

Art package led me to sell GOTLE.
    Theme led me to sell TS years back.
    It's all fun dont take it too seriously , very few of us have long term keeper Collections.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

you were there the day the "couchgument" was born.

I don't know, technically there has been plenty of couchgument's if you include all of the people with big couch's in their gameroom that took up valuable space and whether or not to ditch the couch in favor of more machines.

I do look at pinball as art as well, I do have my MMR sitting in the middle of my family room. #1 rated machine deserves to be looked at daily.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Remember everyone, you can say you were there the day the "couchgument" was born.

Actually I brought it up several months ago. If only you knew what I had to go thru with Lazy Boy when they delivered a defective couch.

#31 5 years ago

JJPotC, sadly.

I just can't ever see myself getting one, despite the layout, toys and rules being absolutely awesome.

I don't like PotC very much, and having Depp-face staring at you from in between the flippers ... that's a big no from me.

Had this been commissioned after DI's acclaim, I could see it having been an original pirate theme ... but the license was acquired years ago when PotC was more relevant, and Depp didn't seem like such a toxic character.

Given that they were allowed to use so little footage in the end, it would have made more sense for it to be an original theme, in retrospect.

#32 5 years ago

Guys those are couch issues but not couchguments. You have to directly correlate pinball machines to couches, using the terms completely interchangeably, for it to be a couchgument.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Guys those are couch issues but not couchguments. You have to directly correlate pinball machines to couches, using the terms completely interchangeably, for it to be a couchgument.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder/page/12#post-4356792

#35 5 years ago

I thought we were supposed to pick on Maiden not Woz. Woz is a fantastic theme for a pinball machine.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I thought we were supposed to pick on Maiden not Woz.

If I keep picking on all the themes I think are lame, they are gonna permanently boot me off this website. Couchguments be damned!

#37 5 years ago

I didn't buy an AC/DC pro (original version) because of the giant Angus head on the playfield.

#38 5 years ago

Yep

Can’t stand the Simpsons so never played and will never played any simpsons pin.

Can’t stand metal music also...unless I could replace songs like on Met. Would love another GNR pin.

#39 5 years ago

Dialed In theme, audio and art turn me off so much that I would rather not even play it. I like the layout though, except the mick on a stick guy.

#40 5 years ago

WOZ, DI, WWE, BBH, RS.

#41 5 years ago

When I have all the space and budget I need to get the pins with the themes and playability I want, then theme alone won't matter. So, yeah, not likely.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Dialed In theme, audio and art turn me off so much that I would rather not even play it.

ditto.....

#43 5 years ago

Not sure if it would have stopped me from purchasing a TWD but I can't stand the LE and Pro artwork, I had to opt for the Premium instead. The other two packages came off as kind of cheesy to me.

#44 5 years ago

I might own an IMDN at some point. I don’t like the theme or music, but the art is amazing and the game is fun to play. It’s like a couch that is super comfortable and looks amazing but squeaks every time you move.

#45 5 years ago

Nope

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No I've owned a No Fear.

You truly have no fear.

...Or I guess had.

So, fellow mad lad, what's your jump ramp record? We talking double digits or triples here?

#47 5 years ago

Dialed In has got to be the king of this concept for me........What a waste of an amazing layout design. I still would argue JJP should consider retheming this pin.

#48 5 years ago

Wow that did not take long, someone else agrees with the couchgument, Dialed in is horrid.

I rest my case

#49 5 years ago

I would never get a Family Guy, which is a shame since I've heard it's pretty decent.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from NovaPin:

I would never get a Family Guy, which is a shame since I've heard it's pretty decent.

That's a shame, as you heard correctly....

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-a-theme-or-art-package-ever-stopped-you-from-buying-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.