(Topic ID: 254358)

Has a dream theme made you LESS interested in a title?

By Fizz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hawks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Does anyone else feel like a dream theme can actually hurt your chances of wanting to buy a game?

There have been a couple games recently which I really thought would be an instant, must buy for me. But then I just didn't like the integration of the theme. For example, for me, both Star Wars and Willy Wonka were games that I really thought I would have to own. But, to me, they missed the mark on theme integration, and that pretty much means I'm not going to buy them regardless of the game play.

Now, on the other hand, if the theme is so-so, meaning that I like it but don't care all that much about it, then my buying decision is based only on gameplay. If the theme is not well integrated, it doesn't matter much and in many cases I wouldn't even know if it's well integrated or not.

For example Deadpool is a really fun game, but I don't know the theme well at all, outside of seeing the two movies. But it's just fun to play. So at this point I'd be much more likely to buy DP than Wonka or SW.

Which when I think about it, seems crazy. Anyone else find themselves actually less likely to buy a game with their dream theme?

#3 4 years ago

Yeah that's a great example, I know a lot of people who are big fans of the theme were disappointed by that one. But for me, that's a so-so theme, and I think I actually like the game better than a lot of people who love the theme.

Another example, I have some friends who are really into monster movies, including the Universal monsters. But, they're purists. So, they really dislike Monster Bash, because it presents the monsters in a humorous way.

But I think it's one of the best games ever.

So again, being too much of a fan of the theme makes them dislike the game.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t quite get the MB attitude - I guarantee I’m just as big a fan of the Universal squad, but I love that game.
    But given your example, SW definitely turned me off because i just felt like it wasn’t all there. The Hyperspace thing is REALLY cool, but it’s really just an upgrade of Getawat’s Turbo charger. Not much else is super compelling. Even the screen graphics are just atrocious

Yeah you summed up SW perfectly. For me, the problem with that game is just that it's lacking... stuff. I mean there's so much they could have done.

With WW, the problem for me is not so much a lack of stuff, but that the way they used the things in the game (Wonkavision, Gobstopper) are not representative of how they were used in the movie.

As for MB, yeah my buddies are super into that stuff but they don't want the characters made out to look silly. I don't get it either! To me it's a blast.

I honestly think I'd like both Wonka and SW a lot better if I wasn't a fan of the themes.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I’ve never had the same experience with Play Boy the pin as I have had with the magazine when I was younger.

Hmmm, maybe that’s a good thing? At least for anyone else who touches your games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-a-dream-theme-made-you-less-interested-in-a-title?tu=fizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.