(Topic ID: 198116)

Has 2017 been a bad year for Stern code support?

By PanzerFreak

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is 2017 Sterns worst year for code support?”

• Yes 163 votes
      88%
    • No 23 votes
      12%

(186 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bm66 (resized).png
    c (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago

I waited 2 years to get be able to earn an extra ball in Tron. *shrug* Game was still fun to play prior to that.

It is too bad code updates take so long from Stern. They should be like all the other companies that release feature complete and bug free code right at launch.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Hacked script kitty cut-n-paste jobs

I'm sure Dwight and Lonnie appreciate being called 'script kiddies'.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I can't think of a single reason beyond it would make them look real bad when the customer's pump out better code than they do.

Haha. Not any other reason? That's it?

That must be the reason no one else has open source on their pins, right? JJP, Spooky, etc.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

JJP I can understand they are kinda at the forefront of tech right now. Way more complex with animation and graphical content. Stern I can understand being protective of their newest pins. Is anyone going to gain or steal from the single color DMD era games? Its not like the firmware is secure in any way, you can pull any and all licensed content out of it.

I think you should broaden your search for reasons beyond tech theft.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Like I said custom code is already available. No liability issues that I am aware of have ever come up, nor any issue with licensing. I understand Stern would obviously not publicly release any licensed content if they opened their code. I'm happy to hear what I am missing that is a concern?

Custom code is available? You mean I can have the sparky magnet in Metallica pulse every 3 seconds during game play like I wanted?

I'm hoping I can lock all coils on until the pin catches fire because Sterns are all piles.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Like I clearly stated the most basic disclaimer would cover them. People run custom code in all kinds of consumer items and its not an issue. My car has it and I could easily melt my engine with it. I actually did melt the motor in my Smart car but I couldn't resist the more than 60% horsepower gain it got me, the little bastard was a rocket. I toned it back in my VW after that Actually when I think of it, my car, phone, pins, gaming systems even my TV all have custom code running on them. I even ran custom code on my CD Mp3 walkman back in the day. This stuff has been around forever.

What custom code runs on Sterns? I know you can replace assets (music, call outs, etc) but to my knowledge that's it.

I hardly think a disclaimer would stop a lawsuit after someone alters code on a pin that burns a children's hospital down and kills 42 sick kids. How would you prove someone altered the code after everything has melted into a pile of radioactive goo?

And if it's no issue, why does not one pinball company use open source code and allow end users to alter their games?

#101 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Your children's hospital is not a valid point, they won't even let you plug in your phone in a hospital for exactly that reason. Everything needs to be approved in a hospital and they don't just allow any old electronics plugged in.

http://projectpinball.org/ - you should donate.

Quoted from Darscot:

I haven't done much with my pins but I thought someone had pong running on the DMD.

Care to provide a link to that? I'd be curious to see it.

Quoted from smokedog:

And if it's no issue, why does not one pinball company use open source code and allow end users to alter their games?

No answer to this question?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smokedog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-2017-been-a-bad-year-for-stern-code-support?tu=smokedog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.