(Topic ID: 198116)

Has 2017 been a bad year for Stern code support?

By PanzerFreak

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is 2017 Sterns worst year for code support?”

• Yes 163 votes
      88%
    • No 23 votes
      12%

(186 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bm66 (resized).png
    c (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Is it just me or does 2017 seem like a bad year for Stern code support?

First off I believe that Stern has some amazing programmers, that they are very talented and that they put out great work. However, I also believe that Stern management is the main cause of 1 year + code update delays due to the number of games they are now putting out and that their programming staff is stretched thin.

Below are 2017 update counts by game

KISS: 1
    GOT: 0
    Ghostbusters: 1 (back in January)
    Batman 66: 6, still pre 1.0
    Aerosmith: 2
    Star Wars: 1, still pre 1.0

Its obvious by the counts above that the focus for updates are on the latest games. The counts also include code updates that are mainly smaller bug fix updates. Numbers for just updates that add at least 1 new mode would be lower.

So, what's going on here? Why is Batman 66, a game that cost more then any modern Stern, still on pre 1.0 code? Why hasn't GOT received another code update since last year? Why hasn't one of Sterns most recent games, Ghostbusters, received a code update since early January?

As Stern has continued to raise prices they have also raised expectations of buyers. For $5k-$9k, or in the case of Batman 66 SLE $15k, owners shouldn't have to wait 6 months, one year, longer or never in some cases for code updates.

There's also a big difference between code that is just average versus deep and unique that works an entire playfield in interesting ways. At these crazy prices more buyers expect deep and unique code.

Personally I won't even consider buying a Star Wars pin until Stern completes the code for Ghostbusters.

What do you think? (Wheres the code?)

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I voted no because I still think 2015 was the worst on record.... mind you 2017 is not done yet. Back then the backlog was enormous
    Mustang
    Avengers
    Xmen
    WWE
    Walking Dead
    Star Trek LE (features that didnt work for more than a year)
    KISS
    To name a few

Oops, I forgot to edit the name of the poll when I posted the thread. I meant to use the name of the thread as the title of the poll as well.

Yeah, 2015 was bad.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

This is one of Sterns biggest issues with their lack of code development time/support. There really isn't any excuse for a game to still be missing it's wizard mode 18months after kooreveal/release.

Exactly. We are talking about a mode for a pinball machine not NASA programming code for a new nuclear powered Mars rover. Heck, NASA is probably quicker. This is not a knock against Sterns programmers who are awesome but rather about Stern management stretching programming staff thin.

If Stern is going to announce a mode and put an options entry for it in the games menu then it should and needs to be completed in a resonable amount of time.

#39 6 years ago

Apparently my original code update counts were off, I've updated them.

Change logs often have multiple entries that get released publicly under one update. After searching through Sterns Facebook page going back to January 1st, which always announces code updates, I've updated the totals.

Below are the exact dates for 2017 Stern code updates in order of release.

January 12th: Batman .65
    January 17th: Ghostbusters 1.13
    January 31st: Batman. 68
    February 17th: Batman .69
    March 16th: Aerosmith 1.02
    March 23rd: Batman. 70
    March 30th: Aerosmith 1.03
    April 28th: Batman . 71
    May 25th: Batman. 75
    August 8th: KISS 1.30
    August 15th: Star Wars .89

So 11 public code updates in all for 2017. Again some of the updates are mostly bug fix updates versus those that add to gameplay.

By comparison I recall Keith Johnson putting out 12+ code updates for WOZ over the course of a year. This doesn't mean anyone else is more or less talented then Keith but rather shows what type of code support can be offered when programmers are given enough time to create deep and unique code.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Star wars has had two updates not just one. Also what year did keith put out 12 updates for WOZ within a year?

That was between spring of 2013 and spring of 2014.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Okay so you are comparing a company that released 12 updates within a year, for the one machine they had out at the time, to a company who currently has different machines running on the production line and has also released 12 updates within the 9 months that have passed already?
    Of course Keith is going to release as many updates as possible, he had nothing else to code for and he still wants to receive a paycheck doesn't he?
    Seriously these trolling threads are stupid (on both sides of the JJP and Stern fanboys) there is no point to them and nothing productive comes from them other then to get the two sides fighting with each other.

It's not a trolling thread. It's to bring awareness and discussion about the ongoing complaints with Stern code update delays after owners have spent $5k, $8k and in some cases $15k on a pinball machine.

#161 6 years ago

LOL! Classic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-2017-been-a-bad-year-for-stern-code-support?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.