(Topic ID: 198116)

Has 2017 been a bad year for Stern code support?

By PanzerFreak

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is 2017 Sterns worst year for code support?”

• Yes 163 votes
      88%
    • No 23 votes
      12%

(186 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bm66 (resized).png
    c (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

Genuine question: Does GoT need an update?

No, it's solid. That said, it could be made better. I'd love to see modes adjusted with newer content from the show instead of just season 5 plot points. Have the modes be ramdomized a bit to give us greater emersion with the show.

GoT is a level below Metallica and TWD code wise but it has the potential to be better than either with just some minor tweaks and score balancing.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

By comparison I recall Keith Johnson putting out 12+ code updates for WOZ over the course of a year. This doesn't mean anyone else is more or less talented then Keith but rather shows what type of code support can be offered when programmers are given enough time to create deep and unique code.

In my opinion losing Keith to JJP was one of the biggest blows Stern ever took as a company. They didn't feel it right away but the hole Keith left is readily apparent now.

I think the game designers themselves need to take more of an interest in seeing their games code brought to a better place and at a quicker pace.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Apples and Oranges. Games at JJP in have gestation periods of 2-4 years. If Stern were releasing a new title every 4 years instead of every 4 months it might be a relevant comparison.

I'm not so sure about the comparison not being fair. If just one more Stern game per year had knock out code to level Keith codes there would be much less complaining.

Just think if BM66 had as much thoughtful code as DI! Or if Kiss had as much thoughtful code TH. If BM66 and Kiss were both at a complete and master code level (with everything else being the same) do you think there would be this many people disappointed with Stern's code efforts?

One more masterpiece of code game per year would make a huge difference in perception. It's apples to apples.

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And there's a guy named Lyman Sheets who I believe is doing the code for that one - maybe you've heard of him? Pretty good coder as far as I can tell.

Straw man argument. Obviously Lyman has a good history, you act like that is not known. Many of us have faith in Lyman, but past results are not indicative of future performance and as of right now BM66 is far behind the various representations that Stern's agents have made.

DI! and BM66 were officially announced around the same time, BM66 was actually announced earlier. Not sure why you would give Stern another three years to work on BM66 before you thought it was a fair comparison, but such your personal prerogative...

Glad you are satisfied with Kiss's code. Many are not. Many dumped the game.

2 weeks later
    #189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This post may illustrate exactly what the problem is: they're really not sure what to do at this point. American pinball seems focused on the home buyer. JJP is definitely focused on the home buyer - but Stern wants a piece of that too, and are unsure where the industry is going.

They need to do both, complex and deep game with reasonable ball times and fast and furious games with simple rules and short ball times. It's not one or the other, they need a healthy mix of both types of games with how many new titles a year they roll out with.

Diversity is the spice of life, Stern needs to keep a diverse floor of product.

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Except it's "Variety

I was twisting the famous quote just a little to make it my own.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-2017-been-a-bad-year-for-stern-code-support?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.