(Topic ID: 198116)

Has 2017 been a bad year for Stern code support?

By PanzerFreak

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is 2017 Sterns worst year for code support?”

• Yes 163 votes
      88%
    • No 23 votes
      12%

(186 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bm66 (resized).png
    c (resized).jpg
    There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't believe that Lyman is able to work on BM 66 exclusively until it is finished. Stern has been pulling him in all directions for years.

You're right, though Gomez has made statements that Lyman was going to do bi-weekly updates until BM66 is finished. We all know that he's certainly helping tweak Spike as necessary, and common sense dictates that he's probably doing some work on his next game as well (Elvira ?). Given the pitiful code progress, he might have done a stint in the Peace Corps as well.

I suspect Stern has been sitting on the next BM66 update waiting to release it just prior to expo, based upon rumors in other threads that GotG won't be announced then and that BM66 might be featured in some form or other. That makes me think the greedy b@$t@rds are more worried about undoing their BM66 public relations damage and setting up their next over priced boutique game, while we BM66 owner suckers have been forced to piddle around on Alpha code for a year.

Seriously, if anyone out there is considering over paying for their over priced boutique game (Elvira ?), I hope they hold off in solidarity with us BM66 suckers to send a message to Stern, or at a minimum not to take our place as the next suckers.

#152 6 years ago

'..hold off in solidarity with us BM66'

Why single out Batman 66. If people would have "held off" on WOF and IJ4 we could've nipped this whole incomplete code debacle in the bud like a friggin' decade ago!

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Why single out Batman 66. If people would have "held off" on WOF and IJ4 we could've nipped this whole incomplete code debacle in the bud like a friggin' decade ago!

Comparing a 4k game to a,in some cases, 15k+ game is not exactly comparing apple and oranges. I definitely understand his point. #wheresthecode for the win!

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Comparing a 4k game to a,in some cases, 15k+ game is not exactly comparing apple and oranges. I definitely understand his point. #wheresthecode for the win!

People that bought a $15k BM66 are no more (or less) entitled to functional code than people that bought the standard version. Or people that bought a $4k Pro.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

People that bought a $15k BM66 are no more (or less) entitled to functional code than people that bought the standard version. Or people that bought a $4k Pro.

I was just saying that the price difference makes it so. If you buy a Nissan Mirca Vs. Lincoln MKX you would expect your perks, service and features to be different. If Gomez promised biweekly updates, then owners should expect bi-weekly updates and get put in front of the line. I'm not jealous if they do because they paid a premium for such service. Now all that is missing is that service. I'm not knocking down that everyone deserves functional code. All I'm stating his the order of priority that code should be released. And in the grand scheme of things, Lyman should not be working on anything else but BM66 at this point and at least 2 coders should work on the other games to release code in a timely fashion. Stern has essentially committed suicide with their Kapow brand. How many people that bought BM66 will buy the next Kapow title?

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

GOT thrones premium needs update. when it says "gold targets" for lannister. they are, in fact, red on the playfield. am i the only one that noticed that?

You mean the gold standups? that is, the standups that collect gold?
    I would say its within reasoning to call them gold standups.

#157 6 years ago

IDK, I think the $15k Batman guys got their perks in the form of the baseball cards or whatever. If Gomez promised biweekly code updates he should deliver, of course. Not because one version of BM66 was overpriced, but because that's what he promised.

#159 6 years ago

The fact that the sales for BM66 seem to have been pitiful could mean that they abandon the code as not worth their time financially.

They have done that with other games so it would not surprise me at all. Avengers did not get a decent code update for years and required a huge outcry from us to get that.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The fact that the sales for BM66 seem to have been pitiful could mean that they abandon the code as not worth their time financially.

If they don't finish...bye bye kapow brand line. And they can say goodbye to big spenders.

#161 6 years ago

LOL! Classic.

#162 6 years ago

If they don't finish...bye bye kapow brand line. And they can say goodbye to big spenders.

Good point, but some will still be stupid enough to pay $15000 on a Beatles Super LE.
    80 super LEs at $7000 pure profit off the top is over $500k profit just for the supers.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

People didn't buy WOF - that's why it went on clearance for $2400. And that being said - WOF's unfinished code is way more complex, creative, interesting & finished than what's been coming out lately.

Is IJ4 unfinished or just shitty and boring?

#164 6 years ago

Stern needs to adopt the Agile framework and hire some younger folks along with a few Agile Coaches/Scrum Masters. This would clean up very quickly.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Theme sells games and gets players to drop coins in it. The players at my location love star wars and don't even notice it's missing so many features. Unfortunately I think we pinsiders are the vocal minority on this issue.

i think Stern is behind the times if they are paying more attention to the desires of randos dropping coins in bars versus the people who actually buy their games.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Is IJ4 unfinished or just shitty and boring?

Much more of the latter. It's just a chop wood game on a very easy to shoot layout.

#167 6 years ago

I know Gomez has a pretty good sense of humor.
    Hopefully even he is laughing at that.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from jefryan:

Stern needs to adopt the Agile framework and hire some younger folks along with a few Agile Coaches/Scrum Masters. This would clean up very quickly.

No... because that would mean they'd be forced to actually tow "management's" desire to only focus on games next on the production line.
    Agile doesn't fix management problems... it would only highlight that nothing on the priority list gets bandwidth.

I do agree that they need to budget more developer resources ... but we've all been "told" that code was a priority when it clearly isn't. Fool me once....

#169 6 years ago

'..only focus on games next on the production line.'

Even new games coming down the pike are far from finished. It's starting to be a log jam with churning out too many titles per year. Pre-Alpha code under 1.0 at launch might become the norm.

Example 8 months ago, 'I heard Dwight is busy working on SW the next title'. SW comes out. Still not done. What was he really doing for 8 full months!??

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Isn't the game impossible to complete on the LE?

I honestly have not made it that far in the game, but definitely read about it in the wrestlemania thread, looks like the gates aren't coded to close during the final mode so the balls can't enter the ring where pin falls are needed.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

I honestly have not made it that far in the game, but definitely read about it in the wrestlemania thread, looks like the gates aren't coded to close during the final mode so the balls can't enter the ring where pin falls are needed.

If that's correct it's truely pathetic on Sterns part, honestly how difficult would that be to change/add to the code!?

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

If that's correct it's truely pathetic on Sterns part, honestly how difficult would that be to change/add to the code!?

It won't sell more machines, so they don't care.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

It won't sell more machines, so they don't care.

However it speaks to their integrity. If true.

#174 6 years ago

However it speaks to their integrity. If true.

Bingo. If they can leave one game unfinished, they can leave any game unfinished. Even a shitty unfinished game like WWE will affect sales of cool games.

#175 6 years ago

2017 has been a very good year for threads exactly the same as a million other threads but with clever clickbait titles.

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Isn't the game impossible to complete on the LE?

Not impossible, but close to it. And that says a lot because it is already insanely difficult to do on the Pro. Issue is that both controlled gates stay up on the LE during Royal Rumble and one of the requirements to win the Intercontinental Championship is 4 pins during the MB and then a final one to complete the mode. You have to get lucky and not have the balls go all the way around and fall into the ring instead from a weaker shot or balls knocking into one another up top.

Pro has the same issue, but since there is only 1 controlled gate up top, any shots up the right ramp will drop into the ring. I've never beaten it before, I was the final pin shot away once but I couldn't get it. I don't know of anyone anywhere who has legitimately completed Royal Rumble on a Pro or LE. Then the real kicker is you have to go through everything again to light it and try to beat it again and there is no progression saved from the first attempt.

#177 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

2017 has been a very good year for threads exactly the same as a million other threads but with clever clickbait titles.

While we might not agree sometimes....you sure as hell crack me up with your posts. Yes threads like thee are a broken record but they seem to be more of them which should be a sign of something.

#178 6 years ago

While we might not agree sometimes....you sure as hell crack me up with your posts. Yes threads like thee are a broken record but they seem to be more of them which should be a sign of something.

personally i think in this thread he is coming off like an apologist for sub-standard products.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Not impossible, but close to it. And that says a lot because it is already insanely difficult to do on the Pro. Issue is that both controlled gates stay up on the LE during Royal Rumble and one of the requirements to win the Intercontinental Championship is 4 pins during the MB and then a final one to complete the mode. You have to get lucky and not have the balls go all the way around and fall into the ring instead from a weaker shot or balls knocking into one another up top.
    Pro has the same issue, but since there is only 1 controlled gate up top, any shots up the right ramp will drop into the ring. I've never beaten it before, I was the final pin shot away once but I couldn't get it. I don't know of anyone anywhere who has legitimately completed Royal Rumble on a Pro or LE. Then the real kicker is you have to go through everything again to light it and try to beat it again and there is no progression saved from the first attempt.

Great post. I really can't believe the game does not save progression, it sux how you have to start back at the US title, Stern really have left this game on the shelf.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

Great post. I really can't believe the game does not save progression, it sux how you have to start back at the US title, Stern really have left this game on the shelf.

One wonders why they ever released it in the first place

#181 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

One wonders why they ever released it in the first place

To test Spike

Wouldn't want a blockbuster mega selling title using unproven boards (recalls/repairs would be too costly)

#182 6 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

It saves progression in that it shows you beat the US and Tag Team Championships still, but once you play through everything to get back to Royal Rumble MB, there is no progression save, so if you were one shot away, you start all over. It is the Optimus Prime MB blocker on super steroids because getting back to Royal Rumble is no easy task either. It requires so many more Money in the Bank shots and you can only get those by winning matches or off the plunge. I think I have only ever gotten back to Royal Rumble a couple of time ever in the same game before.

1 week later
    #183 6 years ago

Well, finally news about imminent code updates. Happy to see this

STERN OF THE UNION ADDRESS - OCTOBER 2017
    Welcome to the inaugural Stern of the Union Address! This will be a monthly update on the status of all things Stern Pinball, touching on many different topics. Without further ado my fellow pinheads:
    Status of Code:
    We are continuously working to update and improve software for our machines. There are always code updates and bug fixes in various stages of development; as usual we will release them as soon as possible. Here’s a sneak peek at two games that will have updates coming very soon, as well as status on a few other titles:
    - Star Wars with its newest asteroid video mode and intense lightsaber duel!
    - Batman ’66 with the new major villain cliffhangers!
    - Ghostbusters: As soon as Star Wars is complete, we will be focusing on a final update for Ghostbusters.
    - Aerosmith: Aerosmith will also be getting a little more polish.
    - KISS: We will be revisiting KISS code very soon to create a final update.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That's always been the conundrum about pinball and what it is. Is it just a 2 minute time killer in a bar, or is it a "real game"? I'd like to think it's a "real game", a game of skill...and games of skills have to have sound rules and logic - AKA, complete code & bug free. If Stern was content to just make time killers, why are they bothering with these deep (and confusing) games like GOT, GB & SW? In 2010, they went in a different direction. IM, Tron, Avatar, BBH, and TRS have very simple rules...practically cut 'n paste with a few tweaks. They wanted to "dumb things down" since location players had no idea what to do on deep games...and deep games had to have longer ball times. With IM they made something fast, fun, quick, addicting, easy to understand, hard to master. Collectors didn't like those games at first, Iron Man sold like crap - so they went back to more complex and deeper games to lure the home buyer...because the home buyer KNOWS a good game from a poor game, and expects a bit more depth and thoughtful gameplay than a location player. That's why games like TSPP & LOTR sold so well.
    Fast forward, people ended up LOVING games like IM and it went back into production with the Vault Edition. Home buyers started to favor fast paced quick balltime games vs. LOTR type stuff (hence the Hobbit-hate). So, based on current tastes & customers, I have NO IDEA why they're still attempting deep games and not just doing IM/Tron type stuff. Like you said, average person doesn't notice...and they just don't have the schedules to make super deep & polished games. Maybe they need to go back to their 2010 design philosophy.

This post may illustrate exactly what the problem is: they're really not sure what to do at this point. American pinball seems focused on the home buyer. JJP is definitely focused on the home buyer - but Stern wants a piece of that too, and are unsure where the industry is going.

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Welcome to the inaugural Stern of the Union Address! This will be a monthly update on the status of all things Stern Pinball, touching on many different topics. Without further ado my fellow pinheads:
    Status of Code:
    We are continuously working to update and improve software for our machines. There are always code updates and bug fixes in various stages of development; as usual we will release them as soon as possible. Here’s a sneak peek at two games that will have updates coming very soon, as well as status on a few other titles:
    - Ghostbusters: As soon as Star Wars is complete, we will be focusing on a final update for Ghostbusters.

Yeah this is great to see and read, if it all comes to fruition and proves true, it will certainly be a course change for Stern in a good direction, if they continue this moving forward its certainly in their best interests and is great for all of us to see on regular updates/intervals.

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

What's code support?

Alternately... "Has Stern EVER had a good year for code support?"

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Status of Code:

Very cool if true. Then I wouldn't have a good reason not to get a Ghostbusters.

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Alternately... "Has Stern EVER had a good year for code support?"

Yep, I don't know what this year has anything to do with past years? Same thing.

When you charge nosebleed prices, 1000% because of the HUO buyer, you better deliver nosebleed service, quality and overall experience.

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This post may illustrate exactly what the problem is: they're really not sure what to do at this point. American pinball seems focused on the home buyer. JJP is definitely focused on the home buyer - but Stern wants a piece of that too, and are unsure where the industry is going.

They need to do both, complex and deep game with reasonable ball times and fast and furious games with simple rules and short ball times. It's not one or the other, they need a healthy mix of both types of games with how many new titles a year they roll out with.

Diversity is the spice of life, Stern needs to keep a diverse floor of product.

#190 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

They need to do both, complex and deep game with reasonable ball times and fast and furious games with simple rules and short ball times. It's not one or the other, they need a healthy mix of both types of games with how many new titles a year they roll out with.
    Diversity is the spice of life, Stern needs to keep a diverse floor of product.

Can't argue there. Except it's "Variety"
    (Just being pedantic). They really should do another fast, simple(r) car theme game. Fast & furious?

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Except it's "Variety

I was twisting the famous quote just a little to make it my own.

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-2017-been-a-bad-year-for-stern-code-support/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.