Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bonzo442
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Harvest Moon Backglass (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi there,

Does anyone have a good condition 1948 Gottlieb Harvest Moon backglass or a crystal clear (hi-res) image of one?

The image on IPDB is great for historical reference, but it is too low-res for my needs.

I am either looking to buy a real backglass for this machine or have a translite made from the art.
    The cabinet is good, the backbox electronics are good, the playfield is decent and certainly salvageable and the playfield electronics are solid.
    The cabinet (lower) electronics are garbage due to rodent damage. The wood legs are excellent.

The backglass wasn't stored properly and has flaked away fairly horiffically, as they tend to do.

Thanks for any leads or help.

PS - the image I have posted is from Pinterest. It is not a shot of my actual glass, which is in much worse condition.

Harvest Moon Backglass (resized).jpgHarvest Moon Backglass (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for the reply. I had never heard of Shay before. I will keep this in mind as an option. $300.00 might be a bit steep for an old backglass, but then again maybe its age is the reason for the price.

Again, thanks.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

Hi Alex,
    Thanks so much for the reply. I had never heard of Shay before. I will keep this in mind as an option. $300.00 might be a bit steep for an old backglass, but then again maybe its age is the reason for the price.
    Again, thanks.

Well, it's not an old glass. It's a reproduction. And it is expensive no doubt but is a true silk screened glass like the original. Can't say if it's worth it but it's always a nice feeling installing a brand new glass in an old game. I always thought Harvest Moon was a neat looking machine.

#5 2 years ago

It's cool. I got it for free from my cousin who has had in her life since she was a kid. It had fallen off of a truck and her dad, my uncle, went to help the man who lost it get back on his truck. The top glass had been shattered and he offered the man $100.00, which the man accepted. They never replaced the top glass and so, as a kid, she said they used to love to cheat because they could get their hands inside and mess with the ball.

My one necessity for taking it off their hands, for free, was that the playfield needed to be decent, which it is. Dirty, but decent. I think every thing else can be managed.

My biggest problem is too many restore projects. This machine, a Gottlieb Totem and a '66 Chicago Coin Eldorado Shuffle Bowler. LOL

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

I got it for free from my cousin who has had in her life since she was a kid.

That's not a bad free pin.
    I'm thinking there's not many around even with poor backglasses.
    A few years back, I traded a Harvest Moon with a really nice original
    backglass to Shay, and that's the glass he needed and used to do the repros.
    He knows woodrails. I met him on the road, and although I told him the glass was nice, he still seemed impressed with it's condition..
    That was the only Harvest Moon I've seen..

#7 2 years ago

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I mean, they only made 500 and it's 74 years old. So, yeah...I'm sure there aren't too many.

#8 2 years ago

It’s rare enough I just had it added to the Pinside archive when I saw this post made.
    Shay makes original backglasses, very high quality. Just as they did at the factory

#9 2 years ago

+1 for Shay I have bought several from him. It’s not cheap but you get what you pay for.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

Hi Alex,
    Again, thanks.

I love the artwork on Harvest Moon! Some collectors would give their left nut for a brand new silk screened backglass for their game. Just sayin' as they're not available for all woodrails or even later EM's.

Good luck with your restoration! Here's a great parts source if you're not already familiar with them:

http://www.pbresource.com/

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

I mean, they only made 500 and it's 74 years old. So, yeah...I'm sure there aren't too many.

Fact. But because you didn't know Shay, I easily took it you didn't know a tremendous
    amount about pinball..

#12 2 years ago

Tuna_Delight Thanks. And yes, I do use PBResource. Great guy. Love to support him.

#13 2 years ago

Mopar

Yep, I know pinball and restoration very well. I've just never needed a backglass until now. And oddly, Googling for backglass with several different search terms in regards to buying backglasses, does not turn up Shay...at least not anywhere near the top of the list, so I simply never came across them.

That is one of the many reasons, I am happy for Pinside's existence. We share the knowledge, learn something and have a great time doing it.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

Tuna_Delight Thanks. And yes, I do use PBResource. Great guy. Love to support him.

Good deal! Shay's backglass repros are very nice and FWIW (in case anyone is not aware of him), Ron Webb is another Gottlieb licensed backglass reproduction vendor that I'd highly recommend.

Not as many offerings, but his repros are first rate as well.

http://pinballglass.homestead.com/

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from MinnPin:

And oddly, Googling for backglass with several different search terms in regards to buying backglasses, does not turn up Shay...at least not anywhere near the top of the list, so I simply never came across them.
    That is one of the many reasons, I am happy for Pinside's existence.

The ironic aspect: Shay doesn't post here (that I've ever seen), but still posts on rec.games.pinball from time to time, and the main way people monitor what's being said on r.g.p is through Google. It just goes to show that "googling" is not what it used to be; every individual gets a different stack of results. When I search on Google for "pinball backglass reproduction shay" I get Shay's site as the first result. If I search for just "pinball backglass reproduction", his site is third on my list. Google must have analyzed my search habits in such a way that it thinks Shay is more relevant to me. Nowadays, you can't tell someone to do a Google search with a bunch of given words, because the results are so individualized.
    .................David Marston

#16 2 years ago

Great song by Neil Young backglass kinda matches song.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from jpinb:

Great song by Neil Young backglass kinda matches song.

Funny that’s the only reason I looked at this thread cause I love that song

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harvest-moon-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.