(Topic ID: 279710)

Harry Potter is the next Kapow game from Stern (Speculation)

By MRG

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-28 143110 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    F5D3FF48-8C02-468F-ABE3-34D0F20E376E (resized).jpeg
    E05AD2D9-3485-483B-A93C-9B5C304610E5 (resized).jpeg

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Wow there are so many manly big men here. They are even more manly since they dont like Harry Potter! Give me a break. People like what they like.
    Im 39 and would buy a HP pin on the spot. Not only do I love HP but my children do as well and we would enjoy it together. To me I could give to shits about a led zepplin theme or many others some folks are clammering for. I liked big trouble in little china for sure but HP is infinitely better in my mind for pinball. What I dont do is reply to those posts calling them Old for wanting such themes.
    Anyways the more diverse themes we get will bring more people into the hobby which will mean we get more new machines.

This guy gets it. Like what you like and don’t worry what others think. Guys in here saying wonka was a creepy musical movie for kids, yet which game won best theme last year? No reason for guys to bash themes, just move along until the next one. Bring on anything from the 80’s and 90’s for this grown up man child!!!!

#102 3 years ago

KongHusker;Sir,I have read your posts now a couple of times where you discuss a B66 being a reskin! Also being referred to with the Beatles pin as a pair! IMHO,B66 was original! Correct me here if I'm wrong!! Also,the Beatles was a desperate attempt to put out that title after paying large for the license, and then dumping the creator! The Beatles was a huge failure, and looks like a little Girls lunchbox!!That was a real reskin as Seawitch owners are proud to point out!!Also,this is a Harry Potter thread!! P.S. J.K.R.will never release the license!! End of thread!!!

#103 3 years ago

This is one of our dream themes so if Kapow is doing it, it would be done wrong.

BTW, for all the old fogies on here, it the biggest part of Universal Studios for a reason. Just read the book series for a third time and highly recommend it if all you know is the movies.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

KongHusker;Sir,I have read your posts now a couple of times where you discuss a B66 being a reskin! Also being referred to with the Beatles pin as a pair! IMHO,B66 was original! Correct me here if I'm wrong!! Also,the Beatles was a desperate attempt to put out that title after paying large for the license, and then dumping the creator! The Beatles was a huge failure, and looks like a little Girls lunchbox!!That was a real reskin as Seawitch owners are proud to point out!!Also,this is a Harry Potter thread!! P.S. J.K.R.will never release the license!! End of thread!!!

I apologize for being off topic. My original comment was in regards to hoping jjp gets a HP license (if anybody), as stern/kapow just wouldn’t do it justice. I compared it to SW and how SW largely (while still a fun game) was a huge disappointment to many. It spiraled from there with guys bashing on themes such as toy story and wonka(last years best theme winner). I’m just disagreeing with people bashing on theme choices since it’s completely subjective opinions. I think guys not interested in a particular theme should just stay out of those threads and stop crapping on other’s opinions on certain themes. Why call guys childish or immature? I’m in a HP thread because I would love to see one made, and as a grown man, I’m not afraid to admit that.

As far as the Batman comments, sure it’s different from the Batman movie pin, but it’s not totally created on its own merits and is loosely based off that movie game. Either way it’s a cool game I enjoy.

Now, back to Harry Potter talk hopefully.

#105 3 years ago

Hopefully if it’s made, Harry Potter will be based off the books with original artwork, and not the movies. There’s nothing major about the movies I don’t like how Peves, and most of the house elves were cut.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hopefully if it’s made, Harry Potter will be based off the books with original artwork, and not the movies. There’s nothing major about the movies I don’t like how Peves, and most of the house elves were cut.

Like many I love the books over the movies but the movies are great as well. And thats how many visually associate with the franchise. I would still be down for it being based on the books with one caveat. It MUST HAVE JOHN WILLIAMS SOUNDTRACK. the music is iconic like a lot of John Williams movie scores.

#107 3 years ago

I don't think we can say Kapow did Batman66 a disservice. The use of assets is great and the code is awesome. Turned out to be a winner. If Harry Potter ends up like it I would be happy.

Seems like they should be rated as batting 50% (1 for 2)

#108 3 years ago

It seems like it would either have the movies and a barren playfield like Star Wars, or a loaded playfield with no movie like Jurassic Park. Maybe they could get away with only 2 or 3 of the movies as being "enough"

I'm curious what the ratio of people who would want original assets vs the movie assets would be.

Or how people would react if they said the pin is just the Sorcerer's Stone for example. Or an all original adventure in Hogwarts (like the new video game).

The Harry Potter universe is just so massive. It'd be harder to please everyone than most of the other in-demand dream themes.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

I don't think we can say Kapow did Batman66 a disservice. The use of assets is great and the code is awesome. Turned out to be a winner. If Harry Potter ends up like it I would be happy.

While bm66 was cool, I feel HP deserves more.

I do agree with above that the book version would be cool, but I think the movie assets would be a bigger sale. Maybe have both versions offered, but how do you do the lcd and assets if any?

#110 3 years ago

So what you're saying is we *really* need is a Hello Kitty pinball....

Harry Potter is more profitable than most pinball licences. How about we get some of the themes from higher up on this list.
    [quoted image]

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

Now that Lyman is "done" with Elvira, I can only dream if he wanted to dive into Harry Potter. He crushed Batman 66 and Elvira for KaPow. But his excellent use of assets is a big reason why those games are so great.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

This is one of our dream themes so if Kapow is doing it, it would be done wrong.
    BTW, for all the old fogies on here, it the biggest part of Universal Studios for a reason. Just read the book series for a third time and highly recommend it if all you know is the movies.

I read the HP series twice with my sons while I was reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

No reason for guys to bash themes

Yeah there is, there's plenty of reasons to bash themes.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Wow there are so many manly big men here. They are even more manly since they dont like Harry Potter! Give me a break. People like what they like.

Im 39 and would buy a HP pin on the spot. Not only do I love HP but my children do as well and we would enjoy it together. To me I could give to shits about a led zepplin theme or many others some folks are clammering for. I liked big trouble in little china for sure but HP is infinitely better in my mind for pinball. What I dont do is reply to those posts calling them Old for wanting such themes.

Anyways the more diverse themes we get will bring more people into the hobby which will mean we get more new machines.

Thanks for that.

And ur exactly right, it 100% makes a man more manly if he isn't into HP. Jesus its worse than I thought around here.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

So what you're saying is we *really* need is a Hello Kitty pinball....

If it got people in Japan and China into pinball, then it could be a huge win in the long haul

#116 3 years ago

HP:
    Hogwarts castle main toy with swaying ramp for "Major Fortuna"
    Quidditch arena mini playfield
    Hogwarts express - specifically a train that gets moved by completed shots to get to Hogwarts - could be used as ball save as well (how cool would it be that it circled the circumference of the game and randomely dumped balls for multi ball?
    Spider cave as kick out
    Hagreds house as a second kick out
    The Whomping Willow as a moving toy that bats balls.
    And to get crazy a wide body plus 1/4 playfield rotisserie that flips worlds taking you to a combined world of the ministry of magic and the world of Hogsmeade village.

Dude, this game would be the first of it's kind and truly a boutique pin that is two games in one! Even the worst of the worst HP snobs would bow down.

#117 3 years ago

HP is a perfect pinball theme, IMO. And I tend to agree with Hazoff on themes. Turtles was cringeworthy. I thought the theme insipid when they were my children's toys. Superheroes? Never really my thing. Hairy-chested, Camaro-blaring suburban 80s rock bands? Evidence of an underdeveloped palette. But nobody would like most of my "dream themes." Blondie. Prince. The art of Robert Deyber or Salvador Dali or Peter Max. Charles Bukowski novels and poems and short stories. European cars.

Where pinball is concerned, I'll have to take what they feed me. Except for Lebowski. I love Lebowski.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Evidence of an underdeveloped palette.

Not everyone has a palette as sophisticated as the Pinlawyer.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

...But nobody would like most of my "dream themes." Blondie. Prince. The art of Robert Deyber or Salvador Dali...

A Dali pin would be great! Just a twisted visual spectacle with gameplay that had lots of subways and stretched and spiraled ramps. I could totally get behind that

#120 3 years ago

There is and always will be but 1 Harry Potter pin...

QUIDDITCH!!!

(Not mine but amazing)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-lots-of-questions

Credit to ryan1234.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Charles Bukowski novels

Well I'm a fan and might enjoy a Barfly pin. I can't disagree with the fact the HP would make a great pin for fans of that franchise. All the elements are there, its just not for me and its surprising given the age of the vast majority of pinball machine buyers that its even on the radar. I mean who wouldn't prefer a new Terminator pin based solely on the 84' film from Stern or JJP over HP, obviously I know there are some people but there has to be much more demand for T1 or T2 or a combo. How is it that TMNT is made over Blade runner and Wonka gets made over The Road Warrior. It just makes me sad. I'm not even knocking the theme cause theres plenty I want that most buyers would not be interested in. I'd love to hear some reasons for these recent theme choices.

#122 3 years ago

My daughter really likes Harry Potter, if it gets made I will most likely buy one. Would rather it be just a Stern though so I could buy a pro at pro pricing.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

My daughter really likes Harry Potter, if it gets made I will most likely buy one. Would rather it be just a Stern though so I could buy a pro at pro pricing.

this is a strong point and arguable. Affordability is always at the expense of something in this crazy world, but here's how I see the equation. Its all about which of these tiers JJP/Stern focus on. Mostly thy pick from the bigger dollar options.
    take deposits on a an idea for a game $
    put out a working game $
    make it fun to play $
    have a recognizable theme $$$
    make it a pop-culture theme $$$$
    buy some of the licensing to that theme. $$$$$
    put in extra code and toys $$$$$$
    by lots of the licensing to that theme $$$$$$$
    add a few personal touches and limit production $$$$$$$$

but it's real interesting to me that the industry has examples of all of these for sale on the market right now.
    My money is in the middle.

#124 3 years ago

No offense to anyone who owns GOT but that was such a generic attempt at such an iconic theme. I was so freaking bummed out at what Stern did with that title. Granted that's a flow game and I'm not a huge flow guy so that didn't help but overall (I feel) the artwork was pretty bad and the toys were completely lack luster on the Pro and the LE's (while better) weren't that fantastic either. Harry Potter would have to be chock full of toys to create an immersive experience. I think stop and go type games allows a player to take more of the code in which helps with the immersive side of things. I hope regardless of who does it that they don't cooker cutter this machine and say "oh let's put a mini playfield in". No. How about you DON'T and put a COUPLE things in in the spot where a mini pf normally is put?!

If I had anyone's ear on the manufacturing side I'd say make this machine a one off. Make the playfield deeper and/or make the cabinet longer. More room more options.

I do find it amusing that people say "wow kiddy themes bash bash bash" but in all actuality it's things we grew up on. I know people coming up on 60 that love Harry Potter. But an argument to be made is why do some people want old movie themes that the newer generation cannot relate to at all? Kind of a double edge sword calling the kettle black type of ordeal

#125 3 years ago

Oh I just had a couple cool thoughts. Two things to be implemented. Have parts of the hobbit trail cut/missing with a small coil sideways to perform a reductor spell (the ball would get kicked out into the playfield via a second side button which would require timing skills) and use the lock down bar button to perform the Expelliarmus spell which where the ball would be at on the playfield it would disable the mechs. (The spell is used for disarming). so for instance you could make the pop bumpers go dead. You could also program button sequences kind of like Nintendo did with Contra. You learn/perform spells.
    Someone hire me .... I'm just pooping ideas out left and right!

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

No offense to anyone who owns GOT but that was such a generic attempt at such an iconic theme. I was so freaking bummed out at what Stern did with that title. Granted that's a flow game and I'm not a huge flow guy so that didn't help but overall (I feel) the artwork was pretty bad and the toys were completely lack luster on the Pro and the LE's (while better) weren't that fantastic either. Harry Potter would have to be chock full of toys to create an immersive experience. I think stop and go type games allows a player to take more of the code in which helps with the immersive side of things. I hope regardless of who does it that they don't cooker cutter this machine and say "oh let's put a mini playfield in". No. How about you DON'T and put a COUPLE things in in the spot where a mini pf normally is put?!
    If I had anyone's ear on the manufacturing side I'd say make this machine a one off. Make the playfield deeper and/or make the cabinet longer. More room more options.
    I do find it amusing that people say "wow kiddy themes bash bash bash" but in all actuality it's things we grew up on. I know people coming up on 60 that love Harry Potter. But an argument to be made is why do some people want old movie themes that the newer generation cannot relate to at all? Kind of a double edge sword calling the kettle black type of ordeal

I'd rather not see it be a stop and go type game, although I'd be buying it mostly for my daughter stop and go games don't do anything for me. Either way I suppose I'd be getting this game but I'd like to enjoy it as well. Also I don't think a stop and go type game would be appealing to my daughter either ( her 2 favorite games are fish tales and TNA.)

#127 3 years ago

Stern wouldn’t come close to doing this theme justice.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Dont worry, its not happening.

#129 3 years ago

At this point, I don't even know what I like in terms of flow versus stop-and-go. I'd say I prefer flowing games with simple rules, but I also have a Twilight Zone. I'd consider it one of the best games ever created. I personally would want Harry Potter to be similar to Twilight Zone. I want to advance though classes to become a powerful wizard and eventually battle the Deatheaters and Voldermort. I also want to don the Sorting Hat, ride the Hogwarts Express, dodge the Whomping Willow, play Quidditch matches, compete for the House Cup, care for Magical Beasts, take part in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and destroy some Horcruxes.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

At this point, I don't even know what I like in terms of flow versus stop-and-go. I'd say I prefer flowing games with simple rules, but I also have a Twilight Zone. I'd consider it one of the best games ever created. I personally would want Harry Potter to be similar to Twilight Zone. I want to advance though classes to become a powerful wizard and eventually battle the Deatheaters and Voldermort. I also want to don the Sorting Hat, ride the Hogwarts Express, dodge the Whomping Willow, play Quidditch matches, compete for the House Cup, care for Magical Beasts, take part in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and destroy some Horcruxes.

Did we just become best friends?

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Maybe we can buy a SLE for 18k and get a signature from Harry potter himself.

#132 3 years ago

131 posts about a title that will never see the light of day!!

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There is and always will be but 1 Harry Potter pin...
    QUIDDITCH!!!

(Not mine but amazing)
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-lots-of-questions
    Credit to ryan1234.

I am just seeing this- thanks for the compliment sataneatscheese.
    We built Quidditch with the idea that it would be a pinball machine you would find in Hogwarts student lounge. We have yet to hear back from J.K. Rowlings

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

131 posts about a title that will never see the light of day!!

That might be the reason it will happen!

#135 3 years ago

I sound like a broken record but with Rowlings feelings about pinball being a form of gambling they'd have to agree to HUO and no coin door or no code to support a coin door (which you know darn well someone would hack it). But anyway .....
    For this title to not yet to have been made is just mind boggling. Compare it to POTC (which will have 6 movies and got two machines made). Probably just as big if not a larger following the Jurassic park series which has had 3 pins made now? The Hobbit had 3 movies and a pin made. The Lord of the Rings - 3 movies made and a pin. 9 Star Wars movies and 4 or 5 pins now?
    So the question is, with Rowlings stance would there be enough of a market to support this build for HUO? I guess I honestly don't know just how big of a part Operators play in machine purchasing numbers? Any guesses on what percentage?

#137 3 years ago
    F5D3FF48-8C02-468F-ABE3-34D0F20E376E (resized).jpegF5D3FF48-8C02-468F-ABE3-34D0F20E376E (resized).jpeg
    #139 3 years ago

If Rowling sees pinball as a form of gambling, she's ignorant to the facts and needs to be educated. Roger? We need another "call your shot" moment from you!

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

131 posts about a title that will never see the light of day

If Kapow did do HP it would be at least a year or two out, I find it easier to believe Kapow Queen as a contender.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

If Kapow did do HP it would be at least a year or two out, I find it easier to believe Kapow Queen as a contender.

I would love to see a HP game but all Kapow games are overpriced and not worth the money

1 year later
    #142 2 years ago

Harry Potter confirmed by Stern today? Looks like Hedwig!

Screenshot 2021-12-28 143110 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2021-12-28 143110 (resized).jpg

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Didn't know Harry Potter was such a Rush fan

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Or it looks like an album cover from 1975.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

Or it looks like an album cover from 1975.

I don't know, there's someone flying on a broom towards the owl in this image.
    Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harry-potter-is-the-next-kapow-game-from-stern/page/3?hl=mr9865 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.