(Topic ID: 279710)

Harry Potter is the next Kapow game from Stern (Speculation)

By MRG

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-28 143110 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    F5D3FF48-8C02-468F-ABE3-34D0F20E376E (resized).jpeg
    E05AD2D9-3485-483B-A93C-9B5C304610E5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

Harry Potter is more profitable than most pinball licences. How about we get some of the themes from higher up on this list.

E05AD2D9-3485-483B-A93C-9B5C304610E5 (resized).jpegE05AD2D9-3485-483B-A93C-9B5C304610E5 (resized).jpeg
    #52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

I may disagree here, I’m sure a large part of the budget was chewed up with licensing, same can be said for Beatles. They claim most expensive license ever.
    If JJP were to do a Star Wars , Potc, Hobbit or insert any other mega franchise and go all out on video, music, actors, toys and bells and whistles the games would be even more expensive than current JJP games.

I respectfully disagree. Can you really see a jjp sw game with full assets looking similar to what stern made? I mean really? Stern cuts the corner every time whether it’s JP assets, stranger things, tmnt assets, Star Wars play field. The only time they got the assets right in lcd games was Batman 66, and even that was a reskin. If jjp had Star Wars, it would have the same assets as sterns, but the play field would look completely different in a good way.

And to think jjp can’t get full assets is ridiculous. Wonka, hobbit, woz, gnr. Potc was an anomaly due to a bad contract by a previous employee.

I would bet my collection that a jjp sw has more assets, and more on the play field compared to sterns.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I respectfully disagree. Can you really see a jjp sw game with full assets looking similar to what stern made? I mean really? Stern cuts the corner every time whether it’s JP assets, stranger things, tmnt assets, Star Wars play field. The only time they got the assets right in lcd games was Batman 66, and even that was a reskin. If jjp had Star Wars, it would have the same assets as sterns, but the play field would look completely different in a good way.
    And to think jjp can’t get full assets is ridiculous. Wonka, hobbit, woz, gnr. Potc was an anomaly due to a bad contract by a previous employee.
    I would bet my collection that a jjp sw has more assets, and more on the play field compared to sterns.

No I can’t see JJP doing a SW with every asset like you say. Would I like it? Sure, I’m a Star Wars nerd. Just not going to happen, hell there is a ton of speculation that toy story may not even have the real voice work from the movies or the music.
    Until JJP gets a mega theme with full assets I have nothing else to base my opinion on, WOZ and Wonka aren’t exactly what I would consider a high end franchise. I would love to see JJP do a James Bond machine covering all the Bonds but doubt they would do it.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

No I can’t see JJP doing a SW with every asset like you say. Would I like it? Sure, I’m a Star Wars nerd. Just not going to happen, hell there is a ton of speculation that toy story may not even have the real voice work from the movies or the music.
    Until JJP gets a mega theme with full assets I have nothing else to base my opinion on, WOZ and Wonka aren’t exactly what I would consider a high end franchise. I would love to see JJP do a James Bond machine covering all the Bonds but doubt they would do it.

So if both stern and jjp had announced Star Wars at the same time, you would have been more excited about seeing sterns version? I can’t believe anybody truly feels like sterns SW was the best possible outcome of a SW game that we could get.

Hobbit at the time was a major license with all assets. Jurassic park is a major one, no assets. Same with stranger things. I agree with bond, and that it won’t happen covering multiple movies.

I will admit I’m nervous about toy story due to that bad contract was written same time as potc by same employee, but we’ll wait and see. I think TS will surprise us. Either way, I know the play field and pinball experience will be much more detailed on a jjp game than a stern.

#55 3 years ago

I love my wonka but sure as hell isnt full assets. None of the songs are in the game. The thing with IPs like star wars is they have a big say in the design as well. Im sure Steve had ideas shot down by LucasFilm. I still love that pin to death as the modes are awesome.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

So if both stern and jjp had announced Star Wars at the same time, you would have been more excited about seeing sterns version? I can’t believe anybody truly feels like sterns SW was the best possible outcome of a SW game that we could get.
    Hobbit at the time was a major license with all assets. Jurassic park is a major one, no assets. Same with stranger things. I agree with bond, and that it won’t happen covering multiple movies.
    I will admit I’m nervous about toy story due to that bad contract was written same time as potc by same employee, but we’ll wait and see. I think TS will surprise us. Either way, I know the play field and pinball experience will be much more detailed on a jjp game than a stern.

Dude, I never said that and it’s such a hypothetical it’s ridiculous.

I mean really, if JJP pre announced they had all the assets sure I would be more excited but there is no way in hell I could see them doing it.

Sterns version is fine, it’s literally has all the video you could want, has all the music and is just a fun game to play. Could it be better? Yes but I think we can say that about any game.

I’ve played Hobbit and didn’t enjoy it despite all the assets, JP fun game with no assets, Strangers Things i know nothing about as a license.

Based on your Toy Story comment, you be ok with a JJP Star Wars with no John Williams soundtrack or any real authentic video content and voices? That isn’t Star Wars in my book.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

The story is all over the place, and the only toy in the game(hyper loop) is so inconsistent. I like the game, but it was a huge disappointment. The new comic art certainly helped it, but at the asking price, it feels like you’re paying more for movie assets rather than a pinball experience.

Get the Pro. The lighting is there and the loop did nothing for me at all except be in the way. For me its all there with that game. No complaints at all.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I kinda do actually. JJP would have made a loaded pin sure but then the speed and flow would have suffered. Part of what makes Stern SW's so great for me is that speed, If u get a Tie F multi going with a Hyperspace Multi and throw in a great mode all going with the Imperial March and great clips in the background? Man that's sheer pinball bliss for me.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Harry Potter is more profitable than most pinball licences. How about we get some of the themes from higher up on this list.

What a sad list that is. With the exception of StarWars and by that I mean oldschool SW's and James Bond the rest is shit. I really don't understand u guys, Yeah most of those giant franchises are catering to children. Who the hell wants that represented in their pinball machines? Ok make the odd one every few yrs 4 family guys, whatever but come on man. Fuckin Pokeman is #1

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Dude, I never said that and it’s such a hypothetical it’s ridiculous.

Not saying you said that, but your argument is saying it’s basically not possible for jjp to have both assets and a packed play field. I’m just disagreeing with that. Again, stern sw is a fun game, but it totally lacks a world under glass. I agree, there’s no way a Star Wars game without full assets and music would work. If I could only have one choice, I’d choose the assets and music like stern did vs a packed play field with no assets. I’m just saying I fully believe jjp could get the same assets stern got, and would have had more on the play field. I’m simply saying you can’t believe sterns version was the best that could have been made. Example.. everybody crapped on the poor art package and blamed Disney for it, but yet when stern put more effort into it needing more sales, Disney suddenly approved a much better comic package? How? Who’s fault was the bad art, stern or Disney? Stern was being cheap. Who’s fault really was the play field design? Everybody blames Disney, yet Disney had no problem with a packed potc license they hold dearly. Stern cheaped out, while jjp had a bad contract on potc. I’d rather take my chances on a jjp HP than a stern.

#61 3 years ago

If I remember correctly after the release of Wonka,JJP’s people went back to Disney to get more property for their TS pin?

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

If I remember correctly after the release of Wonka,JJP’s people went back to Disney to get more property for their TS pin?

That was the rumor after potc, supposedly delaying the toy story release.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

What a sad list that is. With the exception of StarWars and by that I mean oldschool SW's and James Bond the rest is shit. I really don't understand u guys, Yeah most of those giant franchises are catering to children. Who the hell wants that represented in their pinball machines? Ok make the odd one every few yrs 4 family guys, whatever but come on man. Fuckin Pokeman is #1

It’s a terrible JJP kiddie list

Hello Kitty?

Bond is on there. Let’s hope JJP has figured it out and would flush that almost entire list down the toilet

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Wonka and Toy Story, that's just sad.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Especially Toy Story

Going for the 7-12 yr demo is not too sharp

My girls didn’t even like it growing up

Try it again and see what happens

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That list is a simpleton's dream. Overmarketed corporate themes that serve your own imagination to you on a Disney-branded silver platter. No thanks.

#67 3 years ago

Wonka is a terrible seller

Toy Story will be too. Right up with Dialed In

Pat Lawlor needs to get into this century

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Wonka is badass!And Toy Story will be a sales burner if done half right.
    A whole of rich families out there!

#69 3 years ago

JJP GNR. Check

Back to kiddie land? No check

I don’t care how much crap they stuff in there

We all know there is a new BOM sheriff in town with JJP. Lol

They better milk this GNR for all it’s worth

#70 3 years ago

Toy story will be huge if done right. Sorry, but classic, timeless themes when done right will always succeed. Bring on toy story.

Also, there were plenty of people saying gnr as a theme was terrible and past it’s prime. Don’t hear from those guys now.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Toy story will be huge if done right. Sorry, but classic, timeless themes when done right will always succeed. Bring on toy story.
    Also, there were plenty of people saying gnr as a theme was terrible and past it’s prime. Don’t hear from those guys now.

Yay all that got to complain about is all those multiballs and meanwhile the orders keep stacking up!

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Especially Toy Story
    Going for the 7-12 yr demo is not too sharp
    My girls didn’t even like it growing up
    Try it again and see what happens

I think your math is off. Toy story released in 1995, and became an instant classic for us 7-12 year olds in ‘95. 25+ years later, us “7-12 yr demo” are suddenly grown adults(mostly with kids) that are in the prime market for a pinball machine that brings fond memories and nostalgia. Toy story will be huge, same as a Ninja turtles, or a Harry Potter would be.

#73 3 years ago

Though we love to be very binary between Stern and JJP, there are more than 2 pinball companies out there, and I do think American would do Harry Potter justice. I just know they'd never get that license.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I think your math is off. Toy story released in 1995, and became an instant classic for us 7-12 year olds in ‘95. 25+ years later, us “7-12 yr demo” are suddenly grown adults(mostly with kids) that are in the prime market for a pinball machine that brings fond memories and nostalgia. Toy story will be huge, same as a Ninja turtles, or a Harry Potter would be.

Ughhh. Don't think so Kong. Not enough Dads that sat through those movies with their kids like i did and fell asleep after dropping a bag of popcorn.

Just like TMNT which has come and gone and is NOT huge, so will Toy Story, like Wonka, yet worse.

Harry Potter isn't a cartoon and with the magic theme has MUCH more possibilities.

We grabbed a bag of popcorn and stayed awake on those movies.

Toy Story is going to BOMB imo, partly because JJP is now in BOM control mode.

#75 3 years ago

I have a GnR coming but anyone that thinks GnR is a more attractive theme to a wider audience than Harry Potter is insane... If JJP made harry potter it would be bonkers.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

I have a GnR coming but anyone that thinks GnR is a more attractive theme to a wider audience than Harry Potter is insane... If JJP made harry potter it would be bonkers.

See POTC and no assets.

They aren't doing Harry Potter license. End of Toy Story.

The POTC bom days are over too.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I was 11 when Toy Story came out and I thought it was for babies.

Maybe im in the minority, but I dont celebrate or get nostalgic over stuff from my childhood, especially if I wasnt into it in the first place. I understand it's a classic family movie, but that doesn't mean it needs to be a pinball machine.

How embarrassing it would be to own one of these and tell people you "really loved it as a kid and still do."

Another overmarketed mass produced theme to give consumers the chance once again to feed their money to the Disney machine.

Do you have Toy Story bed sheets too?

Being an adult, I'd like something that's a little more...adult. and original.

But "original" doesnt work these days, I know.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

See POTC and no assets.
    They aren't doing Harry Potter license. End of Toy Story.
    The POTC bom days are over too.

I agree its not happening, esp not from JJP. Im just saying the IP of Harry Potter has a wider audience than GnR by many times

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

I agree its not happening, esp not from JJP. Im just saying the IP of Harry Potter has a wider audience than GnR by many times

I agree with that too. Just not enough pinball machine buyers unless they blew it out GNR style and that's not gonna happen with anybody. Kapow is the best option to get that license and it would most likely resemble BM66 style.

#80 3 years ago

Not gonna lie, I've waited for years for Harry Potter. Knowing Rowlings stance on gambling they'd have to remove the coin door and make it HUO. No big deal.... or is it? How many pinheads are there that could offset the missing sales of operators?
    I'm not a brand snob but I do have to say that the last couple of my personal dream themes Stern did were not fantastic. Both Stern and JJP bring something totally different to the arena. I hope if the licensed is obtained WHOEVER get's it makes it the GOAT because it certainly has the IP/range as stated by mbrave77. Whoever designs it needs to LOVE HP and not just see it as "another game the public will buy regardless of how bad it is".

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Wonka is badass!

Said no one ever till today. I want to understand the appeal of these themes to some of u people. Its just, dare I use the word 'Flabbergasting" Toy Story and Harry Potter and TMNT and even the super hero pins.

Wonka plays fine and all but its looks ridiculous and sounds like a toy for toddlers. Oh wait is this cause I'm a manly man who isn't comfortable with his own sexuality? Yep, very uncomfortable with older men being into these themes.

#82 3 years ago

If Stern produces Harry Potter, my guess is that it will be same dish as the way they solved JP.
    You attend the university as a new wizard, and so on. Nothing from any of the movies, all the assets will be 3d animations.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Wonka plays fine and all but its looks ridiculous and sounds like a toy for toddlers. Oh wait is this cause I'm a manly man who isn't comfortable with his own sexuality?

I think that idea, you're being a man uncomfortable with getting uncertain about so called 'childrens themes', is only because you mention so very often you don't like those themes. I think I've read the same thing from you over a hundred times: it's wierd and it gives a feeling that you really have to mention that you're more grown up than others who like a theme like Toy Story, or (etc), every time you can or someone posts something positive about a theme. Multiple times on one page. 3 times in this page alone, and it's only on post 33 on this page yet.
    The thing is: if you mention: 'it's not for me, I think it's to childish', I think that will trigger a response by others who think otherwise. If you keep on hammering the same thing over and over again, you'll keep getting responses and you'll keep defending over and over again why themes are childish, why you won't ever be able to like them, why they're really stupid, why you think people who like those theme's are out of their minds (you may not say that directly, but by posting the same response to different people over and over again, you're implying that, whether you intend to do that that or not) and people will think you have a big uncertaincy problem somewhere because you seem so overly fanatic about it. I don't know you, but I've gotten that feeling as well in the last year(s): it may not be true at all, but to me you seem to be compensating something.

In my opinion you should just start enjoying or not enloying new games whether you like a theme or not. I think I don't like like 75% of the pinball themes. I do like most pinballs though and I'm always excited for new games, being those themes like Turtles, Star Wars, Wonka, JP, Spiderman, Toy Story, GOTG (which I all think are themes targeted towards children or adolescents, and also like by a lot of adults) or Guns 'n Roses or GOT.

If you don't like a theme: fine. Mention it once, maybe twice, and we'll know. No, that's incorrect: you, being Hazoff, don't have to mention it at all, and 90% of the regular readers here will know what you'll think of a theme anyway . You have accomplished that, I must say

#84 3 years ago

Harry Potter? Ugh, no thank you. Will ofc try it out if I find it "in the wild", but would never own it. Theme is lame and boring imo.

#85 3 years ago

What?? Harry Potter?? Instant buy for me!!

#86 3 years ago

Harry Potter would be at least half price at my house... Pretty sure my better half would buy it on the spot. Still getting bad taste out of her mouth from the
    preorder and waiting time of WOZ. But this would be one of her dream themes. I can see how it would be able to make a fun pinball with deep rules. I am not sure about the callouts though.

#87 3 years ago

Cool. He can run another A+ theme into the ground, just like The Beatles.

#88 3 years ago

I wonder what the age demographic is for pinball purchases? I know there a lot of old guys (60+) with cash for NIB games, but more and more of us 40 year olds can afford them too.

I find it hard to believe that many people over 60 would enjoy a Pokémon game, but I bet most people under 40 would think that it’s a good franchise to build a game around. Same with toy story, Harry Potter, and countless other themes; it just seems like a generational gap that the manufacturers haven’t got over. games like munsters have no modern place in modern pop culture and I wonder how popular they will be in another 10 years. I’d be willing to be most 40 year olds haven’t even seen that show before.

I want a game made for me, not my father.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

If you don't like a theme: fine. Mention it once, maybe twice, and we'll know. No, that's incorrect: you, being Hazoff, don't have to mention it at all, and 90% of the regular readers here will know what you'll think of a theme anyway . You have accomplished that, I must say

Nope. I'm gonna keep posting about it. I have to. I want to learn. Here's the thing if I could get one real answer outside of how its my machismo, which is great and I have the moustache right now to prove it then I would probably stop, nah its not gonna stop my assinying posts. nothing will. I like making 40, 50 and 60 somethings think about why they want kiddie themes. And go............

#90 3 years ago

I find it hard to believe that many people over 60 would enjoy a Pokémon game,

I find it hard to believe that anyone would want a Pokeman game.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Step outside your comfort zone and you might be surprised what you find. Never know what you’ll like until you’ve tried it.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Why? I’ll tell you right here I want it. It’s a fun theme with a universe that easily translates to pinball rules, has memorable creature designs, and it’s easy to demonstrate that it’s monstrously popular with people under 40.

It’s cool if you don’t want it. But you’re a weirdo about it. I’m not going to talk trash about your “manly” Star Wars game

#93 3 years ago

I didn't mind the books and the films BUT hearing "Expelliarmus" all the bloody time would make me want to put my boot into the coin door....something i haven't done since my rebellious teen years at arcades

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ughhh. Don't think so Kong. Not enough Dads that sat through those movies with their kids like i did and fell asleep after dropping a bag of popcorn.
    Just like TMNT which has come and gone and is NOT huge, so will Toy Story, like Wonka, yet worse.
    Harry Potter isn't a cartoon and with the magic theme has MUCH more possibilities.

I totally agree except I did enjoy all the Toy Story movies. Any pin "done right" will be awesome but that's the trick. How are you going to get all the top voice talents in Toy Story? Answer is you won't. Most of what made the films great was the characters, friendship, and the story of growing up. I don't see that translating to fast and exciting pinball gameplay. Hardly see everyone running out buying expensive CE's for this one.

Pokemon would be a disaster imo. Sure it has name recognition and popularity but that does not translate to selling pinball machines. Bottom line I would be embarrassed to play one let alone have a Pokemon pinball machine in my home.

Harry Potter is at least a little more mature. I have no interest but at least it has a wide cast of characters, magic, and lots of adventure. I don't see how you could secure all the voice talents and I think it would suffer from having too much material to work with. Hard not to be just some generic magic pin where you go to school, collect characters, learn some spells, and fight villains. Fans will be disappointed because bar will be set way too high.

#95 3 years ago

Step outside your comfort zone and you might be surprised what you find. Never know what you’ll like until you’ve tried it.

pikachu topper would work perfect.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So Harry Potter, a children’s fantasy book is ok, but toy story with adult humor, and ninja turtles isn’t? I’m just happy you’re not in charge of these companies licensing decisions because it sounds like you only want old curmudgeon titles like Beatles, batman66, munsters, Elvis, etc..

Tmnt has come and gone just like EVERY stern because every 3 months we get the next best thing from them. Was stranger things a bad theme? It disappeared quickly. How about Jurassic park? Star Wars? Nobody talks about any game after the next release other than owner threads.

It’s really quite simple. Everybody has different tastes, usually tied to your age group, and childhood. It’s perfectly fine if you’re not into certain themes. The good news is in a few months another title will release that may be more in your wheelhouse like zeppelin or queen. You’ll get yours and we’ll get ours with toy story or tmnt. No reason to shit on these themes because you’re too old for them. If it’s not for you, don’t waste time in a thread bashing the theme.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I totally agree except I did enjoy all the Toy Story movies. Any pin "done right" will be awesome but that's the trick. How are you going to get all the top voice talents in Toy Story? Answer is you won't. Most of what made the films great was the characters, friendship, and the story of growing up. I don't see that translating to fast and exciting pinball gameplay. Hardly see everyone running out buying expensive CE's for this one.
    Pokemon would be a disaster imo. Sure it has name recognition and popularity but that does not translate to selling pinball machines. Bottom line I would be embarrassed to play one let alone have a Pokemon pinball machine in my home.
    Harry Potter is at least a little more mature. I have no interest but at least it has a wide cast of characters, magic, and lots of adventure. I don't see how you could secure all the voice talents and I think it would suffer from having too much material to work with. Hard not to be just some generic magic pin where you go to school, collect characters, learn some spells, and fight villains. Fans will be disappointed because bar will be set way too high.

I agree with you mostly on both toy story and HP. Toy story will kill it if done correctly and hopefully it is.

HP definitely would be an easier title to put magic in a play field with, and that brings me back to my original comment. Who do you trust more to bring Harry Potter magic to life, stern or jjp? Seems like an easy answer to me.

#98 3 years ago

Wow there are so many manly big men here. They are even more manly since they dont like Harry Potter! Give me a break. People like what they like.

Im 39 and would buy a HP pin on the spot. Not only do I love HP but my children do as well and we would enjoy it together. To me I could give to shits about a led zepplin theme or many others some folks are clammering for. I liked big trouble in little china for sure but HP is infinitely better in my mind for pinball. What I dont do is reply to those posts calling them Old for wanting such themes.

Anyways the more diverse themes we get will bring more people into the hobby which will mean we get more new machines.

#99 3 years ago

I feel like only JJP could do justice to a HP game. A Stern version is just going to be paper thin and a missed opportunity.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I feel like only JJP could do justice to a HP game. A Stern version is just going to be paper thin and a missed opportunity.

We need a GnR situation with someone from WB asking them to partner and giving them ALL the assets. But that wont happen. Id be fine if stern did a one off and said this pin is 12k due to the license. But have it include everything

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harry-potter-is-the-next-kapow-game-from-stern/page/2?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.