Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D15C2231-EDAB-4C82-8886-18C0D228D907 (resized).jpeg
4DAC547C-7E0D-467B-8954-D69336BE9A3F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

I would be very cautious in getting cloth covered cables wet. Yes, their outer surface might well dry in direct sunlight, but, what about the inner cables in a harness? The last thing you want is a firework display when you fire the machine up!
I play safe and use Baby wipes on everything. Yes, it takes time and effort but in my experience, it works well and is inexpensive.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Don't use hoses and uncontrolled water spray on cloth wire harnesses or entire lower assemblies.
It can damage relays, motor assemblies, transformer windings, and leave residual trapped moisture for potential shorts and arcing, and promote rusting to non-galvanized or lost plated parts. It will ruin all remaining factory labeling of parts, switches, and stacks. Poor advice even if you leave the parts out for weeks. Restore EM pinball machines properly like a true professional. This is not degreasing a car engine, which normally has electrical components removed first. This is not solid state wiring with plastic/rubberized sheathing either, so certain restoration guides are not applicable as offered. EM pinball machines are not "dishwasher safe".
None of the wiring/parts on the restoration shown below for reference used this method.
Advice for experience:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dixieland-bally-1968-a-restoration-journey
If wiring really needs cleaned, which sometimes is required, use a toothbrush and Bleche White solution. Dry immediately with paper or cloth towels. If it's really bad, get a Scotch Brite pad and Simple Green (apply to pad). Reference the photos, if needed. All hand cleaning or buffing wheel (metal) with various brushes, sanding blocks, polishes, cleaners, and terry clothes. Assemblies were cleaned one at a time, for ease of assembly/disassembly. It is beneficial to know your cleaners and solvents to ensure NO residue is left on wiring and parts which is flammable, which is also commonly overlooked, until after the power is turned on, and smoke and flame is observed.
Good luck.

I would tend to agree with TBK and @classicpinballs...but I never feel the same need to ultra clean the inside of my EMs like many here on Spinside do. Maybe it's the pictures that make people feel the need to do this? Regardless...I'll always say it's up to you what you do with the classic EM pinball you've got - and for me, a sparkly inside is not important.

Personally, I just mostly dust and wipe away the worst of the grime from the parts of the game you can't see when playing...except, of course, the moving parts which NEED to be ultra clean to work properly. On wire looms, I use and variety of brushes to "clean" them, but it is hardly spotless...just cleaner than it was. I certainly understand the satisfaction one feels when polishing up something like , for example, TBK's Dixieland in the thread he linked, but I'd rather get it done and get to playing it. YMMV

Sean

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harness-cleaning?tu=Stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.