(Topic ID: 291553)

Harlem won't boot with soundboard connected

By RC_like_the_cola

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Experiencing a weird one, gang. A few weeks ago, my Harlem just wouldn't boot. Figured, I'd get to it later and just left it off. Checked it more thoroughly, today.

On the rectifier TP1 which reads 3vdc instead of 5ish.

With the sound board hooked up, the TP5 reads 66vdc and I get no 7th flash
Without it hooked up, I get 43vdc on TP5 and the game boots and plays fine, with no sound, obviously.

Can something on the sound board be causing the solenoid voltage to spike? Does my low TP1 have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so, but not sure.

Specs of the game:
MPU is Alltek.
All other boards are originals.
All LED with Seigecraft adapters.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Yes to both - this era of soundboard uses both the solenoid voltage and 5vdc to run the board. The solenoid voltage is regulated/converted down to 12vdc. You say above the Rectifier board is original? Has it had any maintenance at all, like new header pins/connectors or new bridge rectifiers?
I would start there, get the power completely up to spec and then we can move down the chain. The soundboard probably has a bad cap which is dragging the whole chain down but can't hurt to make sure you have good power first.

Someone before me has does some header replacement on the rectifier. Bridges all test fine as well. I had planned on replacing all sound board caps. Ordered them a while back, but hadn't done it yet. I started out thinking, I'll just throw the brand new rectifier I have in there, but noticed the soundboard weirdness.

#4 3 years ago

Replaced the rectifier with a new one I had stashed. Also capped the soundboard prior to that. Neither step made a difference. Still won't boot with the soundboard connected. I reflowed the headers on the soundboard as well. Maybe need to repin the connector housing. Ugh.

#5 3 years ago

Issue seems worse now. 66vdc with the sound board connector unplugged and over 100vdc with it plugged in. It will still boot and play without the sound board plugged in. Could the transformer be bad?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Diode CR3 on the sound board is "leaky" and needs to be replaced. Use type 1N4004 or 1N4007 as replacement.

Damn. That was it. You're an indispensable resource, Ken. Guess I replaced a perfectly good rectifier. A penny diode. Gotta love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-won-t-boot-with-soundboard-connected?tu=RC_like_the_cola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.