031.jpg
070.jpg
069.jpg
044.jpg
034.jpg
091.jpeg
089.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I used to play a lot of Harlem Globetrotters when it first came out and decided to include it as another Bally's classic in my collection. I bought one in May of 2014 and first striped down the playfield, cleaned the hell out of it with magic eraser, touched up the paint and rebuilt all the mechanicals. I then enjoyed playing it for about a year and decided it needed and deserved a full restoration since the cabinet was the worst of all my machines.

My attitude towards restorations:
1) I like to keep things as original as possible; the playfield, back glass and plastics should be original if possible. I would prefer to repair an original cabinet rather than build a new one. My reasons for this are twofold; I like original because I have not played a repro playfield that feels the way I remember playing them combined with I do not have the skills or desire to take on a playfield swap. Also, something does not feel right to me if most of the machine is a reproduction!
2) I will clear coat classic playfields to lock art touchups and repair cupping but want to keep it as thin as possible and low gloss
3) I like the finished product to be close to original, I am not a fan of powder coating or chromed parts on a classic machine.

I am creating this thread to motivate myself and hopefully others to take on such as restoration. I also will ask advice and welcome input from others. My next posts will get this thread updated to where I am currently.

Thanks,
Dave

#2 8 years ago

Here is what I started with...a nice candidate for restoration
Galaxy pictures 167.jpgGalaxy pictures 167.jpgHG_12.jpgHG_12.jpgGalaxy pictures 177.jpgGalaxy pictures 177.jpg

<HG_10.jpgHG_10.jpg">attachment=2497752,413576 caption="HG_05.jpg"]HG_08.jpgHG_08.jpgHG_02.jpgHG_02.jpgHG_06.jpgHG_06.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Here are more shots before I tore down the playfield.
Galaxy pictures 169.jpgGalaxy pictures 169.jpg Galaxy pictures 176.jpgGalaxy pictures 176.jpgGalaxy pictures 220.jpgGalaxy pictures 220.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Parts before tumbling

Galaxy pictures 236.jpgGalaxy pictures 236.jpg
Galaxy pictures 240.jpgGalaxy pictures 240.jpg
Galaxy pictures 273.jpgGalaxy pictures 273.jpg
Galaxy pictures 270.jpgGalaxy pictures 270.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I'm anxious to see the progress of this.

Post lots of updates!

#6 8 years ago

Playfield stripped and cleaned up nice and bright with Magic Eraser. Notice the blue skirt...not original but I love the color punch!
Galaxy pictures 371.jpgGalaxy pictures 371.jpg

Pop bumper mylar removed and preparing for touch up
Galaxy pictures 400.jpgGalaxy pictures 400.jpg

Not bad after touch up
Galaxy pictures 412.jpgGalaxy pictures 412.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Playfield touch ups in progress
Galaxy pictures 409.jpgGalaxy pictures 409.jpg
Galaxy pictures 407.jpgGalaxy pictures 407.jpg
Galaxy pictures 414.jpgGalaxy pictures 414.jpg

Still trying to get a good match on the blue. Looks good when playing the game though.
Galaxy pictures 405.jpgGalaxy pictures 405.jpg

#8 8 years ago

More progress on mechanical rebuilds and touch ups
008.jpg008.jpg
009.jpg009.jpg

I painted the spinners using white appliance epoxy and applied classic arcade's HG stickers but they did not hold up very well...most likely poor application. Sticky small white chips all over the place. I will redo sometime in the future.
011.jpg011.jpg
014.jpg014.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Here are some of the final touchups and reassembly
020.jpg020.jpg
023.jpg023.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom of the right spinner, you can see the beginning of the chips coming off.
025.jpg025.jpg
024.jpg024.jpg
021.jpg021.jpg

Blue is still not perfect but overall, I am quite happy with the results. Inserts are still cupped but I will handle that in a future phase which will most likely be clear coat. I will also try to better color match the blue in the near future.
039.jpg039.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Here is a playfield before and after.

Before: (The flash seemed to really affect the playfield color as it looks dramatically different then the after shot which is a little misleading.)
HG_12.jpgHG_12.jpg

After: Big improvements to the key lines, ball swirl is removed, correct mini-posts are installed, everything functions, the playfield is much brighter and the spinners look better.
039.jpg039.jpg

I played the game like this for about a year which brings us up to today.
332.jpg332.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Good luck. A great machine to start with and restore.

#12 8 years ago

Time to repair and re-stencil the cabinet. When I first got this machine, it smelled VERY smokey. I tried 5 boxes of baking soda on a cookie tray for weeks which did not really help. In the end, I bought an Odor Genie from Lowes for a few dollars and a month later the smell was totally gone.

This corner is rotted and will need to be repaired
370.jpg370.jpg
366.jpg366.jpg
371.jpg371.jpg

You can see in this picture how bad the cabinet paint is, the wood is checking and the paint is heavily faded.
365.jpg365.jpg

The coin door has heavy corrosion and rust from the same situation which caused the cabinet side rotting. The bottom will need to be removed and replaced.
356.jpg356.jpg
357.jpg357.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Gutting the cabinet
028.jpg028.jpg

Sanding...took more work than I thought it would to sand off the old paint.
087.jpeg087.jpeg
089.jpeg089.jpeg
091.jpeg091.jpeg

#14 8 years ago

I was always afraid to tear down a coin door but it was not as bad as I thought.
034.jpg034.jpg
044.jpg044.jpg
069.jpg069.jpg
070.jpg070.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Cabinet repair
031.jpg031.jpg
071.jpg071.jpg
084.jpg084.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Looking good! post pics and descriptions of what you are doing and any gotcha's - I have a similar table waiting for a resto and I have been scared to touch it

#17 8 years ago

Trying to post more pictures but having problems with upload getting ID.

#18 8 years ago

I just picked one up myself, yesterday. Nice coincidence that there's a thread about it

2 weeks later
#19 8 years ago

Now that the upload issue has been resolved, here are some more pictures of cabinet restoration:
013.jpg013.jpg
011.jpg011.jpg
020.jpg020.jpg
008.jpg008.jpg
021.jpg021.jpg
025.jpg025.jpg
015.jpg015.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Couple of questions:
how are you redoing the graphics on the case?
are you planning to do any more on the playfield?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

how are you redoing the graphics on the case?

I bought stencils from Pinball Pimp - I will provide colors once the cabinet painting is complete. The weather has been too humid to paint.

Quoted from mark532011:

are you planning to do any more on the playfield?

I am keeping the playfield original and am very happy with the brightness and overall look. I do want to do a better job of matching the blue paint on the bonus numbers and I will most likely eventually do a clear coat to even out the cupping.

How do you feel it looks? I am open to constructive criticism and ideas.

#23 8 years ago

It looks good to me! mine is in much worse shape, but I can't start on playfield or case until the boards are fixed.

3 months later
#24 8 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

I bought stencils from Pinball Pimp - I will provide colors once the cabinet painting is complete. The weather has been too humid to paint. blockquote>

Did you get a chance to select colors yet? I have one of these in the hopper to do as well. I'm going to start a TOPIC with the intent of having people post paint choices for these type of restorations. Share the knowledge

Mac

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-globetrottersmy-first-complete-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.