(Topic ID: 212981)

Harlem Globetrotters upper left flipper not firing.

By garman411

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by garman411
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey All,

I'm having trouble getting my upper left flipper on Harlem working. The upper flipper worked before I rebuilt the flippers and now its dead. I checked for power and I'm getting 43 volts to the coil. I replaced the coil with a brand new one to see if that was the issue with no luck. I'm thinking its an issue with the double switch but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

Hey All,
I'm having trouble getting my upper left flipper on Harlem working. The upper flipper worked before I rebuilt the flippers and now its dead. I checked for power and I'm getting 43 volts to the coil. I replaced the coil with a brand new one to see if that was the issue with no luck. I'm thinking its an issue with the double switch but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Assuming you've checked the schematic and got it all back together wired correctly? Double switch should be on the lower flipper and single switch on the upper flipper.

Check that the normally open switch on the lower flipper closes when the flipper is fully activated. You can try using an alligator clip or something across the normally open switch connectors ... them when you hit the flipper button both flippers should activate.

The normally open switch just makes the second flipper "wait" until the first flipper is fully engaged before firing in order that the flippers each get full power seperatly instead of both firing at the same time. It's ok to bypass it to check that it's working. If it does, then your normally open switch needs to be adjusted to close when it's supposed to.

#3 6 years ago

Hey scrdude,

Everything appears to be wire correctly and I adjusted the double switch with no luck. How do I bypass it with the gator clip to see if it works?

#4 6 years ago

I tried grounding the coil lug and it still won’t fire. It’s a brand new coil so I don’t think the coils the problem.

#5 6 years ago

I agree a bad coil is unlikely... if your seeing 43V at the coil switch and you close the switch or jump across to the coil and ground the other side of the coil and nothing happens... it’s a bad coil. Is the coil conductive and what’s it’s resistance? There is not a whole lot goin on to get it to flip and it sounds like most of “it” hasn’t been mentioned. One other possibility is a bad diode or cap and the coil cut out by a direct short to ground I suppose. Not sure really but at least a few more things to check now.

A reversed diode would also be under the category of bAd..

#6 6 years ago

i received a DOA flipper coil recently from pinball life, so its possible for a new coil to be dead, phone call to terry got a replacement quickly on the way, original resides in the garbage

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

Hey scrdude,
Everything appears to be wire correctly and I adjusted the double switch with no luck. How do I bypass it with the gator clip to see if it works?

Each leaf switch will have two lugs where the wires are soldered on. Use a wire with an alligator clip on both ends and connect across those two lugs. If an alligator clip is long enough you may be able to grab both lugs with one clip.

Essentially connecting those two lugs will do what the switch is supposed to do when the flipper pushes the two leaves together to make the contact.

#8 6 years ago

There are two windings on the coil. The high resistance winding and low resistance. If you look carefully at the flipper coil the low resistance winding has thicker wires. The high resistance winding should be wired to an EOS switch on the flipper assembly. That switch is normally closed. If the EOS is not making contact the flipper will not flip without help.
First check thwe EOS on the upper flipper and make sure it's closed and not opening until the flipper is about 75% flipped.
Second, take a clip lead and tie it the grounded frame of the game. One side of the coil has a brown wire providing 43v, touch the lead to the the other side of the low resistance(thicker wire). That should fire the coil. If the coil does not fire its either:
A. A bad coil,
B. No 43v on the brown wire

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered another coil to see if that fixes the issue. If the diode's are bad on the flipper with the double switch would that cause the 2nd flipper not to flip? Does the SD board have anything to do with the 2nd flipper flipping or does the lower flipper working alleviate any issue to a SD board. I will mess with the switches again tonight to see if I can get it working.

#10 6 years ago

Problem solved it was the switch on the upper flipper. The contacts must not have been touching good enough. Thank for the help much appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-globetrotters-upper-left-flipper-not-firing?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.