Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MultiMeter_HoldPeak_HP-39B_(1).jpg
59505739_2283433935243082_297008434606243840_n (resized).jpg
60241520_389742051875021_1459163496129232896_n (resized).jpg
HG Rect (resized).png
20190209_080129 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Howdy folks, got a bit of a weird one happening with my Harlem Globetrotters, hoping you genius' might be able to throw me a bone.

The playfield feature lights keep working, then not working.

To be accurate, they are NOT working 80% of the time, then magically start working. This will happen during game interaction, or without game interaction. I have been wiggling the appropriate connector on the MPU board - thinking it was most likely a dodgy pin or connector - but so far this has had zero effect either way. Everything else seems to be working as you want. Backglass appears normal, all displays appear normal - GI lights are working etc

I am kind of stumped to why this is happening as the issue is completely intermittent & the connector doesn't seem to make zero difference. I have lifted up the playfield and wiggled lamp wires - again, zero interaction occurs.

What am i missing here? (other than knowledge, experience and a f-ing clue)

#2 4 years ago

I would guess you were wiggling the wrong connector(s). Try wiggling the lamp board connectors. One of them has a supply pin for the feature lamps. It supplies + voltage to all the feature lamps. If it goes flaky, all feature lamps would go in/out. Probably a rusty pin or cold solder joint.

After many years, I've learned just one thing about pinball repair. It's always a connection.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I would guess you were wiggling the wrong connector(s). Try wiggling the lamp board connectors. One of them has a supply pin for the feature lamps. It supplies + voltage to all the feature lamps. If it goes flaky, all feature lamps would go in/out. Probably a rusty pin or cold solder joint.
After many years, I've learned just one thing about pinball repair. It's always a connection.

I was pretty positive it would be connector related also, but i am sure i have the right connector (MPU board, Top left). When it was working - i removed the connector and it went off completely, re-inserted it and it was back on - i still had the same intermittent problem afterwards however. The possibility of a cold solder joint is there though - i have been pushing on the board and re-tightening the mounting screws, and, seemingly, got a bit more of a reaction. Might have been just a placebo effect - but thats all i got at the moment. I will pull the board off tomorrow and have a look at the back and add a small amount of solder to each joint. It about 1:30am here, so not getting into that today.

A bit more info that might help someone with knowledge...

* the "Ball in Play" light on the backglass goes on/off along with the playfield lights.

* I've noticed that the right flipper is now getting stuck up occassionly also. It is getting stuck up from a charge as if i manually try to push it down - it wont allow me and you can hear it charging. Only way i can get it down again is by doing another couple of quick flips. Could be coincidence but thought i would mention it as could be a sign of a switch matrix issue (im guessing there)

#4 4 years ago
#5 4 years ago

Your problem is not at the MPU.

#6 4 years ago

Start by reflowing solder on all the header pins to the lamp board. It is this board on the lower left in the backbox. Pic is taken from my Paragon when I had it. Mine has Seigecraft LED anti-flicker boards installed.
20190209_080129 (resized).jpg20190209_080129 (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

It could be a couple things but I would start there. If after reflowing solder and it doesn't work, I would check your rectifier board to see if your lamp board is getting voltage. Check all the connections, wiring, etc. It could be a bad bridge rectifier or a connection there, since it sounds like all or none of your feature (playfield) lamps are affected. Unplug the machine before you start poking around near the rectifier board or transformer.

#9 4 years ago

Also check these on your rectifier boardHG Rect (resized).pngHG Rect (resized).png

#10 4 years ago

thanks everyone, for all the advice. It appears the main consensus is to

re-flow the solder on the lamp board pins. will remove the board today and do this and give you an update. I have not done a lot of soldering on boards before (ironically did my first attempt of this yesterday to fix a reset issue on my "Cyclone"). Any tips I should be careful of?

Will let you know how I got with an update later today.

Big thanks for all the advise and interest, much appreciated

#11 4 years ago

Update: I have reflowed the solder on the Lamp Driver pins, re-installed the board. Started up working and worked for about 5 minutes, before disappearing again - so no improvement. I jiggled all the connectors on the lamp board as still get zero reaction to suggest the issue is there. The pins also look fine - no rust or corrision in sight

So, have now moved over to the rectifier board. All the solder on the back of the pins looks really good on these and again, no reaction to the connectors being wiggled etc. I did notice though that the E1 wire which solders directly to the board to the to the power transformer had pretty much came loose. I soldered that back on and turned it back on and instantly noticed that all the lights seemed to be brighter - SUCCESS!

Turned around and played a game of Cyclone to celebrate, by the time i had finished, the fucking lights were off again - argh!

I then shifted the and wiggled the rectifier board on the holding pivots and, finally, i seemed to have triggered something that made the lights come on. I am know believing that the issue is related to the E1-10 connections which solder from the transformer through to the back of the rectifier board. I will later today inspect this a bit further and re-solder some of these..... I am fairly hopeful that the issue will be resolved from there

#12 4 years ago

It would be a good idea to desolder the wires, trim and strip them to get "fresh" wiring exposed, and resolder them back to the board.

#13 4 years ago

I have removed the rectifier and resoldered all the "E" connections. powered it up and lights are there, but within a few minutes the interrmittern issue is still there with the lights going out. Dont think that was the issue afterall....... poo.

Anyone got any more ideas for me? Im running well short

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

I have removed the rectifier and resoldered all the "E" connections. powered it up and lights are there, but within a few minutes the interrmittern issue is still there with the lights going out. Dont think that was the issue afterall....... poo.
Anyone got any more ideas for me? Im running well short

I'd guess the problem is at the male header pin or female crimp contacts of the rectifier board. Pretty common to have rectifier board problems on these games after 40 years. Do the male header pin posts look burnt or tarnished? Same with the female plug side.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I'd guess the problem is at the male header pin or female crimp contacts of the rectifier board. Pretty common to have rectifier board problems on these games after 40 years. Do the male header pin posts look burnt or tarnished? Same with the female plug side.

The rectifier board is only 12 months old as i got it replaced so i am doubting the issue is there. i re-pinned J1 at the same time so thoe pins in that one are pretty fresh. The other 2 connectors i havent done yet however, but i get no response at all from wiggling, no matter how much i try.

There does seem to be a trend that if i turn it off, let it sit a few minutes and turn it back on, it almost always now will work, but then go off within a few minutes. It will return again after a while, but ultimately go off again within a few minutes. Not sure if that info provides a hint to anyone else

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

The rectifier board is only 12 months old as i got it replaced so i am doubting the issue is there. i re-pinned J1 at the same time so thoe pins in that one are pretty fresh. The other 2 connectors i havent done yet however, but i get no response at all from wiggling, no matter how much i try.
There does seem to be a trend that if i turn it off, let it sit a few minutes and turn it back on, it almost always now will work, but then go off within a few minutes. It will return again after a while, but ultimately go off again within a few minutes. Not sure if that info provides a hint to anyone else

Was it replaced with a new aftermarket board or a known working original board?

Can you test the voltage at one of your feature lamps while it's on and while it's off (with game still on)?

#17 4 years ago

I just messed about with the connectors on the rectifier board with a metal prod, just to try and reposition the connectors etc. After i did that the game would not boot up - was real close, get 6 flashes, but cant get a game started now

I then removed the connectors and squished them around a bit

Whatever i did, it really didnt like it - now the fuse on F4 on the rectifier board blows everytime i turn it on and i get a loud hum from the machine. I am assuming this is now because i have stuffed on of these connectors. Anyone know what f4 blowing is in relation to? Just want to get some confirmation it uis likely because i stuffed up a connector, rather than an issue with the "E" connections to the power-supply i just re-installed

End of the matter is, will need to go pick up some connectors and re-do them as any next step. I am assuming, at least, this should stop the F4 fuse.

UPDATE: Sorted the F4 blowing, i stupidly, inserted the 20 pin connector on the rectifier board incorrectly and missed an entire pin! idiocy. Game will still not boot up however. All fuses test out, so assuming its just now the connector. It seems real close to connecting, get the initial first flash on the MPU, with a pause, followed by another 5

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Was it replaced with a new aftermarket board or a known working original board?
Can you test the voltage at one of your feature lamps while it's on and while it's off (with game still on)?

It is an Alltech

I am assuming to test the lamp i just switch the metre to V and place the red and black onto the lamp socket connections? Got a MM but not very experienced in using it - is basically a fancy "fuse tester" for me currentlt

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

It is an Alltech
I am assuming to test the lamp i just switch the metre to V and place the red and black onto the lamp socket connections? Got a MM but not very experienced in using it - is basically a fancy "fuse tester" for me currentlt

No, you'll want to place the DMM to DCV, touch the red lead to the socket leg and the black lead to ground. The metal rail or the ground braid will work.

#20 4 years ago

Ok, so far i have reflowed all the pin solder on the lamp driver board and the rectifier board, reconstructed the E1-12 wires also on the back of the rectifier board to the transformer & re-pinned all the pins in the connectors going into the rectifier board.

The game appears to have a noticeably better power flow going through it as the lights all seem brighter and less sluggish to movements. After 5 minutes though, I am still losing the game feature lights. The same issue is there.

I am really low on ideas as i am doubting its a pin/connector issue based, certainly not on the rectifier side of things. The connectors on the lamp driver seem fine, however had not re-pinned them yet. I do doubt its a connector issue there as ive had zero improvement of response from wiggling connectors on the lamp board to initiate the issue. Anyone have a thought on what else i can try?

#21 4 years ago

Losing the lamp strobe 1 signal will make all lamps go out.

MPU j1 to the lamp board check.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Have you done ^^^ yet? You're attempting a lot of blind repairs without taking voltage measurements.

When the feature lights are out, what DC voltage are you measuring at:
Test point TP1 on the Rectifier Board?
The common power braid wire that runs to every feature lamp under the playfield?
Test point TP1 on the Lamp Driver Board?
Test point TP2 on the Lamp Driver Board?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you done ^^^ yet? You're attempting a lot of blind repairs without taking voltage measurements.
The common power braid wire that runs to every feature lamp under the playfield?

I have to agree I would use some jumpers with Alligator clips to the test points and a Volt meter and see what’s going on as they are working and as the stop working.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Thanks for this. I haven't done much with the DMM yet as, I have to be honest, I really don't know how to use it. I have one, but so far ive only ever used it to test fuses. Bit embarrassing & remarkable, considering I have 12 machines for 2 years and somehow have been able to keep them mostly running. I will need to get someone to teach me how to use it, for sure (if anyone knows of a good youtube video/channel that teaches it - please link)

A local mate suggested that I remove th blue power cords that connect to each of the earthing braid of each light row and see if I can isolate the issue.
I am giving this a crack at the moment - but agree, a multi meter will save me hours of "maybes".... just don't know how to use it enough, unfortuantely

#25 4 years ago

The isolation test appears to have proven naught, or at least that the issue is not coming from under the playfield. There appears to be 2 connection points where the PF feature light braid piggy backs it power from. 1 @ the top middle of the PF, the other on the right side behind the PF arrow light. I removed both of them and on both occassions the lights worked (except fpor the appropriate row) , but then intermittently went off. Im guessing this issue is going to suggest the issue back to the rectifier board 0 or possibly the lamp driver board.

I am really out of ideas. If anyone thinks they can help me with how to work this MM to further try and diagnose the problem, that would be great.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

A local mate suggested that I remove th blue power cords that connect to each of the earthing braid of each light row and see if I can isolate the issue.

You're saying all the feature lights are cutting out including behind the backglass. Disconnecting the blue lamp power wires on the playfield won't tell you anything since they are all dropping power.

Post a picture of your multimeter.

There's a bare braid wire running around the edge inside the cabinet and along the bottom of the head. This braid wire is ground.
For most multi-meter voltage measurements, you hook up the black meter lead to ground, and the red meter lead goes to the point you want to measure. Generally speaking the voltages you are measuring here are "DC". If your multi-meter requires a range to be selected, put it to 20V. If your multimeter is auto-ranging, just put it on DC voltage and start measuring.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You're saying all the feature lights are cutting out including behind the backglass. Disconnecting the blue lamp power wires on the playfield won't tell you anything since they are all dropping power.
Post a picture of your multimeter.
There's a bare braid wire running around the edge inside the cabinet and along the bottom of the head. This braid wire is ground.
For most multi-meter voltage measurements, you hook up the black meter lead to ground, and the red meter lead goes to the point you want to measure. Generally speaking the voltages you are measuring here are "DC If your multi-meter requires a range to be selected, put it to 20V. If your multimeter is auto-ranging, just put it on DC voltage and start measuring.

The second image with the dial turned to V, with the setting set to AUTO DC - is this the setting you are saying i need to have it on? Or should i just turn it to the 20V?

Also, am i testing with power on or off?

Thank you for direction here, it is really appreciated

59505739_2283433935243082_297008434606243840_n (resized).jpg59505739_2283433935243082_297008434606243840_n (resized).jpg60241520_389742051875021_1459163496129232896_n (resized).jpg60241520_389742051875021_1459163496129232896_n (resized).jpg
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

the dial turned to V, with the setting set to AUTO DC - is this the setting you are saying i need to have it on?

Yes, pretty much. Your meter pics are too low resolution for me to clearly see, but what you state should be about right.

Voltage can only be measured when power is on.

Black meter lead connects to a ground braid wire in the cabinet or backbox.
Use the red meter lead to touch the following to take voltage measurements.

When the feature lights drop out, what DC voltage are you measuring at:

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes, pretty much. Your meter pics are too low resolution for me to clearly see, but what you state should be about right.
Voltage can only be measured when power is on.
Black meter lead connects to a ground braid wire in the cabinet or backbox.
Use the red meter lead to touch the following to take voltage measurements.
When the feature lights drop out, what DC voltage are you measuring at:

Thank you very much for this. I wont have a chance to test tonight but will try to tomorrow and let you know how i go

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

Thank you very much for this. I wont have a chance to test tonight but will try to tomorrow and let you know how i go

oh dear... get some help before you hurt yourself..

hes got it on AC Quench ... thats not going to work

the ~ with the line means AC. the 12v setting will be DC. mV / mA etc is useless to you with your current skills

wheres the 20V setting ? highest i can see is 12V. doesnt look like your fancy fuse checker is up to the job really but the AC setting will let you test GI ( put one each side of the lamp) and the 12V DC will let you test the controllled lights. ( red to the lamp on the side that does not have the individual wire colors and black to the cabinet braid)

just be aware.. that rectifier pcb you'e poking at has 200V DC on it.. thats MORE DANGEROUS than trying to mess with your house wiring. 230v AC will let go as it crosses phase.. DC just hangs on and keeps punching you.. dont put your toy meter places you arent real sure about. even coil voltage will be too much for it.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

just be aware.. that rectifier pcb you'e poking at has 200V DC on it..

wiredoug good point. @RaoulJuke, exercise some care where your hands are around the transformer/rectifier board.

Quoted from wiredoug:

hes got it on AC quench ... thats not going to work

I see a meter set on auto-range DC voltage which is fine. Compare the display icons: This meter can measure up to 600 volts.
MultiMeter_HoldPeak_HP-39B_(1).jpgMultiMeter_HoldPeak_HP-39B_(1).jpg

#32 4 years ago

oh nice that makes much more sense on a bigger pic. couldnt work out why it was limited to 12v ..

#33 4 years ago

Thanks for the help here folks, been bogged down with "work" work the last few days so haven't made any inroads on testing. I've also had a issue come up on my Cyclone which I will probably work on that for a bit first as its stopping game play entirely on it.

I am extremely aware of my lack of skill set with a DMM so want to take it slow & really appreciate people walking me through. What wiredoug said is spot on that, playing around with High V stuff when you are still at the novice stage can be very dangerous. A friend said he might try to come over later next week to assist. MY pinball repaire & troubleshooting skills have really developed over the last 12 months, but I think I will not progress any further until I get some knowledge and confidence with using a dMM

#34 4 years ago

No worries.
With all the work you've done around the rectifier board, I suspect your problem may be that the lamp driver board is losing power. The single point of failure here is the 5 volt power coming to it from the solenoid driver board.

The voltage here we are talking about is very low and you won't get any shock measuring it. If you have any confidence measure these two test points on he lamp board when the lights go out as per post #22.
Test point TP1 on the Lamp Driver Board
Test point TP2 on the Lamp Driver Board

If one of these measures 5 volts and the other measures around zero volts, then you can later deal with measuring voltages around the rectifier board.
If not, then come back to us to determine where 5 volt power to the lamp board is being lost.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No worries.
With all the work you've done around the rectifier board, I suspect your problem may be that the lamp driver board is losing power. The single point of failure here is the 5 volt power coming to it from the solenoid driver board.
The voltage here we are talking about is very low and you won't get any shock measuring it. If you have any confidence measure these two test points on he lamp board when the lights go out as per post #22.

Ok will try this - to confirm,i do this with the machine on?

#36 4 years ago

Yes with the machine on. BTW I just added a little extra to my previous post.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

No worries.
If one of these measures 5 volts and the other measures around zero volts, then you can later deal with measuring voltages around the rectifier board.
If not, then come back to us to determine where 5 volt power to the lamp board is being lost.

Hi Quench, I have tested these points.

When i put the DMM into "V" mode, with "DC" & "Auto" selected in the onscreen settings i got the below, from the lamp board

TP1 - 5.25
TP2 - 1.8

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

TP1 - 5.25
TP2 - 1.8

Cool, ok the TP1 reading is good, but that voltage reading on TP2 is abnormally high.

Can you redo these measurements when the feature lamps are working normally? TP2 should measure about zero volts.

Next time the feature lamps drop out again, measure the voltage on the lamp board but this time black meter lead goes on TP2 and red meter lead goes on TP1. This will tell us what the logic voltage on the lamp driver board is. The voltage across TP2 to TP1 should be 5 volts.

Also, you mentioned the "Ball in Play" lamp goes out when the playfield feature lamps go out. Can you measure the voltage on both connections of the "Ball in Play" lamp socket when it's working normally and when it's dropped out? To do this meter stays on Auto DC, black meter lead connects to a ground braid wire and red meter lead measures each connection on the "Ball in Play" lamp socket. The voltages here are around 6 volts.

This will give us more clues as to whether the issue is the loss of feature lamp voltage, or loss of logic power at the lamp driver board.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cool, ok the TP1 reading is good, but that voltage reading on TP2 is abnormally high.
Can you redo these measurements when the feature lamps are working normally? TP2 should measure about zero volts.
Next time the feature lamps drop out again, measure the voltage on the lamp board but this time black meter lead goes on TP2 and red meter lead goes on TP1. This will tell us what the logic voltage on the lamp driver board is. The voltage across TP2 to TP1 should be 5 volts.
Also, you mentioned the "Ball in Play" lamp goes out when the playfield feature lamps go out. Can you measure the voltage on both connections of the "Ball in Play" lamp socket when it's working normally and when it's dropped out? To do this meter stays on Auto DC, black meter lead connects to a ground braid wire and red meter lead measures each connection on the "Ball in Play" lamp socket. The voltages here are around 6 volts.
This will give us more clues as to whether the issue is the loss of feature lamp voltage, or loss of logic power at the lamp driver board.

Awesome.

I re-did them as you mentioned and re-did the previous. Got a different reading on TP2. Below is all results on 2nd testing. Not sure if i just have a shitty DMM or if the machine is just spewing out unstable voltage

TP1
On - 5.18 (took a while to get a solid, steady reading)
Off 5.25

TP2 -
On - couldnt get a solid reading - flactuated between 50-80??
Off - -minus .5

Ball in play / working -left & right couldnt get a solid reading - ranged from .7 to 1

TP2-Black / TP1 - 5.25

I will try again later -could not get a solid run of the light working to get a a good reading. The TP2 inparticular really spewed out different results everytime. Guessing this is suggesting apretty unstable power flow

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

TP2 -
On - couldnt get a solid reading - flactuated between 50-80??

Did you see the "mv" icon come up on the meter display with this reading? (mv = milli volts)

The inconsistent readings may have been from the meter leads not making good contact - sometimes the contact points have 40 years of tarnish on them.

Tip: the ground braid wire running along the bottom of the head is usually sprung pretty tight. I push the tip of the black meter lead under the tight braid to get good ground contact with it. It also holds the meter lead in place freeing one hand

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you see the "mv" icon come up on the meter display with this reading? (mv = milli volts)
The inconsistent readings may have been from the meter leads not making good contact - sometimes the contact points have 40 years of tarnish on them.
Tip: the ground braid wire running along the bottom of the head is usually sprung pretty tight. I push the tip of the black meter lead under the tight braid to get good ground contact with it. It also holds the meter lead in place freeing one hand

Good tip there. With the TP being tarnished - would u suggest me trying to give it a bit of a clean with autosol or iso?

D

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

With the TP being tarnished - would u suggest me trying to give it a bit of a clean with autosol or iso?

Nah, I just rub the meter probe on it to get better contact.

#43 4 years ago

hi everyone, just an update on this issue, which fortunately was resolved today. A very experienced of the local pinball community here came out to have a look at the issue and see if he could help. After a couple of hours of trying to locate where the issue is, he pinned it down to the rectifier board. basically the voltage was dropping to around 1V which was not enough to maintain the lights. He was able to diagnose the problem to be one of the bridge rectifiers and he fortunately had a compatible one in his car which he replaced for me.
The machine is now working perfectly and all lights are functioning without dropout - very very happy & thankful that this local wizard offered his time to help me out.
Thanks everyone here for the assistance, especially Quench who took a lot of interest and time in helping me do some test with the DMM - thanks mate, really appreciate it

#44 4 years ago

Weird that a bridge on the new aftermarket rectifier went out so soon. Glad you are back up. Harlem is a great game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harlem-globetrotters-playfield-light-on-out?hl=raouljuke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.