Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230420_192253929 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230420_192248435 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230420_192237519 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230420_192222580 (resized).jpg
#1 12 months ago

Picked up a "Raven" - not horrible condition, but completely uncared for. Someone broke down the unit and a few pieces missing. One obvious one missing when snapped all of the backbox components together. It is labeled "a24 - j1".

What the hell am i missing here? Looks like there was clearly a component there, now its gonzo. It isn't coming back either. Can I get a replacement for whatever component this is? See that it looks like a small board with three or four chips, little trouble for this noob to identify part w my schematics. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20230420_192222580 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192222580 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192237519 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192237519 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192248435 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192248435 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192253929 (resized).jpgIMG_20230420_192253929 (resized).jpg

#2 12 months ago

That plug was for the reset board, which is worthless. It was apparently created because games were locking on while on locations BITD. All it does now is cause problems, so it should be unplugged. Welcome to Pinside. If Raven is your first pin Im excited for you/Im sorry for you. Gottliebs can be headaches but I started on a Gottlieb System 80 so it's doable

#3 12 months ago

I'll second his pity for you. Besides the System 80 problems, you also get the System 80B problems. A double whammy.

The riser board on the MPU is problematic if the solder joints on the pins between the boards crack. The ground plugs on the power supply are unreliable. The connectors need to be cut off and the the wires solidly bolted to the chassis. But the worst is the sound board. Not that it's problematic by nature, but if there's a problem, it's one of the hardest things to track down and fix.

Hopefully, you won't have any of these issues, and honestly, all of the classic games from any manufacturer have their own set of problems, so don't let all of this discourage you. But one thing you DO want to do is get that battery off the MPU ASAP.

#4 12 months ago

Very thankful for the response.

I'm going to fire it up! Wish me luck. I need to replace all rubbers, and it came without legs, but it may be playable.

It's funny everything that looked like it could be beaten up, was. Helicopter gone. Ugly backglass broken. But looks very solid electronically.... Thanks again.

(Might get a monte carlo in the am-price right).

#5 12 months ago
Quoted from Gregkel22:

Very thankful for the response.
I'm going to fire it up! Wish me luck. I need to replace all rubbers, and it came without legs, but it may be playable.
It's funny everything that looked like it could be beaten up, was. Helicopter gone. Ugly backglass broken. But looks very solid electronically.... Thanks again.
(Might get a monte carlo in the am-price right).

If you mean a Bally Monte Carlo EM go for it (cool game but one of the most complicated EMs ever made so could be difficult for a beginner). If you mean a Gottlieb, Id personally hold off and get a different game. Get a different flavor of game repair by buying a Bally or Williams SS, or an EM. Your call though. Could also make working on them easier if you had two 80B games to swap stuff around in

3 weeks later
#6 11 months ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I'll second his pity for you. Besides the System 80 problems, you also get the System 80B problems. A double whammy.
The riser board on the MPU is problematic if the solder joints on the pins between the boards crack. The ground plugs on the power supply are unreliable. The connectors need to be cut off and the the wires solidly bolted to the chassis. But the worst is the sound board. Not that it's problematic by nature, but if there's a problem, it's one of the hardest things to track down and fix.
Hopefully, you won't have any of these issues, and honestly, all of the classic games from any manufacturer have their own set of problems, so don't let all of this discourage you. But one thing you DO want to do is get that battery off the MPU ASAP.

Got battery off, trashed underneath. It's no good. That was awesome advice, newbie advice, and I appreciate. Learned something!

So, swemmer board suggested as replacement. Anyone here use, and would you suggest? Thanks in advance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardware-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.