Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CNKay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190411_142819894 (resized).jpg
    23C22D81-027E-4040-BCE3-68879C98065B (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

Another silly newbie question.
    I’m not sure what the risers or posts that hold the ramps up called?
    Where do I get new shine ones ?
    Can they be painted???
    Also what are the proper types of screws to use to replace old ones?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

Another silly newbie question.
    I’m not sure what the risers or posts that hold the ramps up called?
    Where do I get new shine ones ?
    Can they be painted???
    Also what are the proper types of screws to use to replace old ones?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Do you have pics?

#3 5 years ago

Sound like Starposts, as Dad asks, what game is it, pictures?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4 5 years ago

These people sell many types of post rubber, plastic, white, black, etc, etc...
    You can search there and probably find whatever you need, but you will need a great deal more detail to order something specific.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-spacers.html
    Perhaps if you have a manual for your machine, that will provide details on what you might need...

#5 5 years ago

Standoffs?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #6 5 years ago

Standoffs !
    Yes.
    Thank you!

#7 5 years ago

How do you get them looking nice new and shiney?
    I am the proud owner of a Cyclone and am in the process of making it better.
    A new ramp is in the future for the game so I figured standoffs should be addressed. Can I clean the ones I have?
    Get new ones?
    Paint some of them? ( might be fun for the Cyclone)
    Any input is much appreciated!

#8 5 years ago
    23C22D81-027E-4040-BCE3-68879C98065B (resized).jpeg23C22D81-027E-4040-BCE3-68879C98065B (resized).jpeg
    #10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

How do you get them looking nice new and shiney?
    I am the proud owner of a Cyclone and am in the process of making it better.
    A new ramp is in the future for the game so I figured standoffs should be addressed. Can I clean the ones I have?
    Get new ones?
    Paint some of them? ( might be fun for the Cyclone)
    Any input is much appreciated!

These are pretty cheapebay.com link: 183941

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

These are pretty cheapebay.com link

Awsome!
    Thank you. I’m thinking new would cost less Than buying a tumbler.

#12 5 years ago

You'll likely still have to do something to get new ones shiny, too. They'll clean up faster, but they won't come polished. At least that's been my experience.

https://www.pinballlife.com/spacersstandoffs.html

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

Awsome!
    Thank you. I’m thinking new would cost less Than buying a tumbler.

You might also have success with a wire wheel on a Dremel - after taking the parts off of the playfield first, of course.

#14 5 years ago

You will never get really "shiny" standoffs. They just didn't care that much when they were making the machines. Get new ones if you can and just go with it.

Us pinball people (me included) tend to go way overboard when bringing stuff back to life.

If you can't find them at pinball life marco will have them. Check and recheck to make sure you have the right ones before hitting checkout or you will be making another order.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Cyclone

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbott1701:

You'll likely still have to do something to get new ones shiny, too. They'll clean up faster, but they won't come polished. At least that's been my experience.

Yes, this. My suggestion above will get them looking nicer, but not minty fresh.

Note: Making one part of the pin too shiny can start a cascade effect where you want/need to make it all shiny

With these classic pins, unless you're trying to restore back to "Collector's quality," it's all about making things better but not perfect. Many a person has dropped a ton of cash on a restoration only to get just a few hundred over what they bought it for originally. So, spend your money where it matters most without taking a bath when you move on to the next pin.

My philosophy is to fix things in this order:
    1) Things that affect gameplay (rubbers, flipper rebuilds, making sure coils are what was originally spec'd)
    2) Easily remedied items on the playfield (cleaning/waxing, cracked plastics/starposts/etc)
    3) More difficult items on the playfield (cracked standup targets, issues with inserts)
    4) Cab or backbox cosmetics
    5) etc

But, most importantly, have fun!

#16 5 years ago

If you want to make them shiny they can be buffed.

#17 5 years ago

I just got the pin and I’m already going overboard I think.
    I have three index cards with a “to do list” and one card with “to order” list.

Mbott1701- thanks for the advice on order of operations regarding game repaires. I’m going to replace a ramp and that’s leading me down the rabbit hole of having to make EVERYTHING it touches look brand minty new when perhaps it need not be quite minty fresh.
    I need to bring myself a bit more back down to earth.
    I know some folks will rather polish an old screw than replace it.
    I’d rather replace it but I should be practical. Perhaps I’ll start with my dreamell and some polishing paste.

On another issue.. I picked up the blue skillshot ramp with no broken parts. Some of the blue is a bit discolored. I used some plastic cleaner (not Novus)
    It cleaned up the blue a bit, made it shiney but didn’t scrub through the slight discoloration.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

with “to order” list.

Tip of the day: Order more than you think you will need; order different sizes if you aren't 1000% sure; do a complete inventory of everything you need before you hit 'Purchase'.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Tip of the day: Order more than you think you will need; order different sizes if you aren't 1000% sure; do a complete inventory of everything you need before you hit 'Purchase'.

So true! Nothing like realizing that you need just one more thing after you received your order. It’s a kick in the nuts paying for shipping twice!

#20 5 years ago

Not sure if this was mentioned just browsing through the thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned I have gotten many small parts very shiny and fresh looking with nevr dull.
    Both by hand or with help of a drill, holding part in chuck and spinning it.

Anyway if you pick a can up I'm sure you'll be happy with results.

IMG_20190411_142819894 (resized).jpgIMG_20190411_142819894 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardware-?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.