3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzorbas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If CPR did another run of SS for $599 or a Hardtop for $250 - which would you choose?

As others have mentioned, I believe it depends on the game. If you can pick up a beat up SS for $800 and you could get your hands on a CPR playfield for $599, your total investment, not including your free labour to do the swap, isn't so bad. But with the market what it is right now (at least here in Canada) a crappy machine is still selling for $1000 to $1500 and that's if there isn't a bidding war. So the CPR option isn't as viable.

And are people just buying playfields and holding on to them to drive up prices? A couple months ago a CPR Firepower playfield sold for $1200 USD on Ebay. To me, that seems crazy but it's what the market will bear. When I was looking for a CPR playfield for my Firepower a year ago, if a hardtop like this was available, I would have seriously considered it given the price point. I know that I will never get back what I've sunk into my Firepower but the hardtop would have reduced my total investment and would have cut my loses if I ever decided to sell it.

I believe the hardtop is a great option for the average person, not the collector who even turns his nose up at machines with CPR playfields in them. I would love to snag a beat up project machine for $750 and would be happy to install a hardtop in it. This seems to be the best option for those high production run games that are worn down to the wood that someone wants to bring back to life.

And even though I already have a CPR playfield in my Firepower, my vote would be for a Firepower hardtop seeing as there were only 17000+ of them produced!

8 months later
#566 6 years ago

Patiently waiting for Black Knight. Okay, maybe not patiently. My money is burning a hole in my pocket. This is what I have to work with. Beyond saving if you ask me and the top playfield isn't much better. What would be nice is if someone posted some pictures of the work in progress on the BK hardtop!

IMG_20171207_072028 (resized).jpgIMG_20171207_072028 (resized).jpg

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

you can see what it went through yet here it is working perfectly!

Yeah, just let a ball roll down the playfield slowly and watch how it wanders. Working perfectly my ass!

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

A little wax and it should be as good as new !!

That and a few touch ups and it will play like your old Space Shuttle!

Can I pre-pay for a hardtop while I wait???!!! I might just start the tear down and the sanding now...

#583 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I think its moved around some over the last year.

It almost ended up at my house but we were haggling over less than $100. So I told him to keep it. He hasn't sold it so I still get to play it when I go over to his house!

#584 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Black knight is almost ready.

Are we close enough that I can start my tear down or should I wait a bit and play it a few more times...?

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

has anyone in Ontario Canada bought one of these babies?

I've asked for shipping charges. The say $30 to $40. Who knows what our friends at Canada Customs will ding us as it comes across the border. I'm waiting on a Black Knight. If you happen to order something and get it before I do, let me know how you make out.

Thanks!

#594 6 years ago

Sorry guys, off topic...

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Did he ever figure out the issue it was having ?

Can't figure it out. It's up for sale again even though I'm not sure if he is serious. The saga continues...

1 week later
#602 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I might be needing one of those Flash Gordon hardtops!

Looks like my Black Knight! Brutal!

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All, and Happy New Year!

How close are we to seeing Black Knight for sale? We gotta be close right...?

Any Canucks out there purchase a hardtop yet? Do we have an idea what we are being charged to get them across the border?

1 week later
#625 6 years ago

If I dream hard enough when I go to sleep tonight for Black Knight to be released maybe it will actually happen...

Are we close? We gotta be close, right? The anticipation is just killing me! I want to get this project started!

1 week later
#676 6 years ago
Quoted from Drickey86:

Impatiently waiting until Firepower and Black Knight are released!

If this was around a couple of years ago, I may have gone this route with my FP. I was able to find a CPR playfield and it "only" cost me $600 CDN (a little less than $500 USD). Tough deal to pass up even though I thought it was pricey at the time!

I am now waiting very impatiently for BK to go up for sale on the website. Whoever is out there test fitting BK for Outside Edge, hurry up already!

#683 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Keep in mind that the first one is a complete reassemble

Oh, I understand how the process works. I realize that it takes time to reassemble. I've done 3 full playfield swaps over the last 2 years and know the effort that goes into it. I've put in over 40 hours work on each one. I've touched base with Outside Edge a few times over the last few months. I know someone is working on it, I just know I would be done by now!

I'm trying to be patient. I spent yesterday and today tearing down my BK. Both playfields are sanded clean, need to do some work on the inserts and make myself some new rails.

Just one big piece is still missing!

1 week later
#692 6 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Sold the candidate Black Knight last night..

I'm kinda committed to BK. No turning back at this point otherwise I now own an interesting whitewood or I'm on the hunt for another playfield!

DSC02004 (resized).JPGDSC02004 (resized).JPG

DSC02007 (resized).JPGDSC02007 (resized).JPG

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Get those inserts polished!!!

I'm working on it Keith! I've got a few that need to be popped out and epoxied back in before I start polishing. I'm fixing some other little issues while I wait. I've emailed Outside Edge (assuming it's Bruce that's responding) for an update and it looks like something is holding things up. Sigh...

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

My other BK is totally original and doesn't need much but a little touch up on the magna save.

Very nice! I wish! But I knew what I was getting into. As soon as I saw my BK I figured a hardtop would be perfect for it and I knew it was in the Outside Edge pipeline. My next big decision once I have the hardtop is whether I want to spend a big chunk of change on a new backglass!

For your Magna Save, I could swear I saw decals somewhere for those. Not sure if you'd want to go that route or would prefer the touch up.

1 week later
#709 6 years ago

So is this the official one? Are we good to go? I'm assuming you were the test fitter?

#712 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

It is. You are. I was.
HOWEVER, mine is not the official announcement. I would expect OutsideEdge to make the announcement soon, tho'.
Did you find a plastics set yet? I got mine several years ago because the game was missing most of them. Waited until now to unwrap them. Worst part is how everything else wants to look old and dingy on the new Hardtop. I've got lots more work to do but the Hardtop fits very, very nicely. You've got your playfield sanded so it'll take minutes to make it better than new.
Completely forgot about that pop bumper cap (DOH!). New one is on it's way.

Well, looking back, I apologize for unknowingly bashing you for the time it took you to get it installed! Just my impatience. Good to hear that it's almost ready to go public. Looks good and glad to see that it fits well. Guess I need to get back to finishing my prep work. A couple of inserts are loose, I need to sand a few more flush to the playfield and try to polish them up a bit and I need to make new rails and get them painted. I've found a vendor in Australia that has new plastics in stock as well as someone a bit more local that has a set. I'm still on the fence there but I think I might as well get them seeing as I've done all the of the other work. The backglass is another thing I need to deal with. Not sure that I want to drop a ton of money on that and I'm considering a few options.

Happy, happy!

#718 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Life changes. But it's all good. I'm not complaining - my BK got a new Hardtop!

That sounds like a busy few months. Glad to hear you got through it. Looking forward to seeing your game all put back together! Post some pics in the BK club thread if you can!

Come on Bruce, get this sucker up for sale!

#722 6 years ago

So I have a few inserts that seem to be "floating". They still stick up a little above the playfield but if I push them down, they will drop below and then eventually spring back up. Is it advisable to keep sanding them until they are flush or would it be better to pop them out and epoxy them back in so they don't move any more?

#724 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

If they are moving my suggestion would be to remove them and re-glue them.

I've already taken out a few so I might as well pull out the rest of them. Anything that moves will come out now!

#726 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

There were only a couple loose inserts but I ran some glue around all of them on the bottom anyway.

What did you use for glue? I've heard a bit of crazy glue will do the trick and will dry quickly. Or I can take them out completely, clean up the holes and epoxy them.

2 weeks later
#768 6 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Seems short sighted?

Of course we aren't privy to your conversations with Outside Edge but I think it might have to do something with licensing agreements and breach of contract...

1 week later
#801 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I get so excited when I see an new post...

Quoted from Skypilot:

I believe news is coming shortly. Next round of hardtops being decided as we speak.

Still. Waiting. For. Black. Knight. To. Go. On. Sale!

#807 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Talked to Bruce. BK is in production. Once that is complete they will list them for sale. Outsidedge wants them on the shelves so they have no hold-up when ordered.

Thanks Keith. I stopped pestering Bruce a couple of weeks ago and just figured I would have to be patient. I still have some work to do, a few more inserts to re-glue and some sanding and clearing. This will motivate me to get moving again!

2 weeks later
#853 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

I have just posted in a seperate thread that we will be taking Evel Kenievel live tonight for ordering @ pinballgifts.com. More to come!

Hey Bruce, what happened to BK?

#856 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

It's coming...., I promise, Be patient,

I know, I know...

1 month later
#921 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Taking the plunge on a Hardtop for my Pharaoh restoration. Playfield was pretty trashed to begin with in non-mylared areas, and the mylar removal wasn't a success as it has been for me in the past. Looking forward to seeing the product for the first time in person at Pinfest.

That a boy! I'm going to get Walt M. to pick up my Black Knight hard top at PinFest. Save a little bit on the shipping charges. I've been talking about this with the boys at Bluffs for a few months. A few of them are curious how this is going to work out. For an absolutely trashed playfield, this seems like a great option! I'm dying to get this BK finished as it's been sitting in my basement sanded down for a few months!

#923 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

The big appeal to me... besides cost... is not having to strip the underside of the playfield. I hadn't even considered this prior to a conversation with some local collectors. Now if they would just make an EBD I'd be set

I think my guys are a bit skeptical as to how this will play. The BK I'm working on had a horribly bad playfield and I immediately thought this would be a great candidate for a hardtop. And good luck finding a CPR playfield that wouldn't completely break the bank. I think this is a lot better than parting out a working machine because of a crappy playfield. Will it be "original" or perfect? No, but it will give it new life at a decent price and it isn't a huge undertaking like a full playfield swap!

6 months later
#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How about including a Hardtop sticker with the product so a person can put it on their playfield glass as an advertisement for when these games show up at shows?

I want to put one on my toolbox!

2 years later
#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

CPR playfields are so crappy

Interesting comment. I've had plenty of CPR playfields pass through my hands. I haven't seen any that I would consider anywhere close to "crappy". Guess you had a bit of bad luck. Did you try addressing it with them? You do realize that CPR is just a handful of people and not some huge corporation, right? Just like Outside Edge.

I'm just happy that we have options now, whether it's replacement playfields or hardtops. And if you don't like either of those, good luck finding something NOS.

#1081 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I'm a bit bitter as I purchased the last of the previous run of playfields that was missing the scores near the Meteor drop targets.

Yeah, I did hear about that particular issue and yes it does suck. I don't blame you for being upset with that. I believe it was addressed on the last run of playfields. Their new production process, using a flat bed UV printer rather than old school screen printing, should give them an opportunity to re-run playfields that they have done in the past and make any necessary corrections, licensing issues notwithstanding. I think the old method really tied their hands at times and prevented smaller runs or re-runs. As with most things in the hobby, things seem to have improved over time.

And I understand your point about how much you want to invest in a playfield versus the value of the game. That's why the hardtops are such a great option. Good luck with your Meteor, whichever way you go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzorbas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included?tu=dzorbas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.