3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skypilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Post your wishes and I will try to keep a running list.If the playfield is in someone elses Que I will not list it.
Here is a running list of games we would love to see this product made for:
Black Knight **
Eight Ball
Fire Power *
Flight 2000
The Phantom of the Opera
Dungeons and Dragons
Black Hole
Haunted House
Robowars
TX sector
Space Station
Added over 7 years ago: Blackout

Added over 7 years ago: Timewarp

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've only ever seen one Pharoah in my area and it was fully restored+cleared

You need to come to Ohio!

IMG_2951 (resized).JPGIMG_2951 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

For me its tough to vote.

Its not a vote. Outside edge is attempting to get an idea of how many of these to produce in a run. They have stated that there will be more titles to come.

Quoted from Outsidedge:Well, we are finally ready to begin production of Space Shuttle, and have selected 5 more titles to start developing

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

But if you want one of two+ of the listed titles you can't quantify that with a single item vote.
I look forward to seeing these come about.

I think he messed up the poll

#24 7 years ago

I do not believe that any playfields that are in the pipeline to be reproduced are being considered. CPR has Sorcerer,EBD,Xenon

#27 7 years ago

There are still a ton of games out there that have never been considered for reproduction. I think this is exciting ! So many possible opportunities for what was once a lost cause title.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

unless chicks with "hairy" legs is your thing.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from kuelman:

Not trying to discourage any remakes at all but the most popular tables with the most potential for sales will be the best sales candidates

I totally disagree with that statement.The most popular titles have playfields readily available. Other top titles have playfields in process of some kind. The "A" games demand big money and I don't believe many owners will place a Hardtop on them. This product screams for all those titles that do not have playfields in a pipeline somewhere. Even games where the repo playfields are gone such asFathom,Flash Gordon,Taxi can be made.

#50 7 years ago

I started a wish list back on post #5

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Do we know when and through what channels this will be available? Looking forward to getting a space shuttle.

Outside Edge will announce when this is available. They were waiting for testing (which is now done)and now they are gearing up for production.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

I will be an anonymous pinball head at VFW and Ohio Show as well

OhioimagesXIUAV3OA (resized).jpgimagesXIUAV3OA (resized).jpg
I got first round.

1 month later
#154 7 years ago

Outside Edge works under the permissions of Planetary Pinball. I seriously doubt that Planetary would wish to let a title be made into a hardtop when the permissions have already been given to others to produce an actual playfield. There are so many titles out there that will not be made into playfields.Why in the world would they want to double up on a few titles .

#156 7 years ago

Why would a company allow someone they work with to make something in limited demand and then undercut them after an agreement. Good way to lose valuable suppliers. You can count the number of playfield manufacturers on one hand.

Quoted from Manimal:they have been selling overlay decals for years....why is this any different

Because it’s the only true licensee working to remake parts that are reputable. Just because every Tom, Dick and Harry with a scanner is selling crap, doesn't make it right.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I disagree...these are not the same products. I doubt very seriously if the folks at CPR are going to lose many sales over these...maybe a few folks that think they can do it but end up buying the playfield and then chicken out....but the folks that are going to swap playfields are not going to doing overlays. I believe having this option is actually going to generate more business....there are probably a lot of folks out there that would never attempt a playfield swap, or want to spend $800 on their machine....but would take a chance on an overlay project. And for the record, I wasn't saying people selling shitty decals is right....but what I am saying is this overlay will compete more in that market, and hopefully will impact their sales more than anyone. Then we get rid of shitty decals.......

We can agree to disagree. If Planetary felt that this would not hurt suppliers then I’m sure it would be allowed. BTW if you look at some of their suppliers/distro, they are still sitting on several playfields that have been produced in the past. Product sitting is revenue stagnant.

1 week later
#179 7 years ago

Stopped in today to see progress on the product.

General Pinball 029 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 029 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 027 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 027 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 026 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 026 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 028 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 028 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#188 6 years ago

I just spoke with Outside Edge. They believe Space shuttle will be finished and ready for retail in a couple of weeks. Wizard and Pharaoh are coming along . When they are done we will be testing them for any issues. I can't wait to install this.

2017 007 (resized).JPG2017 007 (resized).JPG

2017 008 (resized).JPG2017 008 (resized).JPG

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well lucky you guys!!
Pharaoh with a production run of 2500 doesn't seem like a great choice for sales but I guess they had easy access to the titles picked. I am just jealous OK.
Looking fantastic!

They are planning to do a bunch of titles. What would you like to see done?

2 weeks later
#223 6 years ago

There is no adhesive on the inserts

2 weeks later
#247 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Maybe this was already covered, but how thick is the hardtop? Anyone have a pic of one from the side?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtops-2-pharaoh#post-3781483

1 month later
#303 6 years ago
Quoted from pindaz:

Im Awaiting the outcome of PHAROAH and if you could do COUNTDOWN that would be awwwwwwwwwsome

2 weeks later
#316 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Thanks. So, if I understand that correctly, the star insert is removed and re-inserted to be flush with the overlay. Doesn't sound too bad.

That is correct.

1 week later
#326 6 years ago

Taxi is getting close to release. IMG_4483 (resized).JPGIMG_4483 (resized).JPGA few pictures for youTaxi HT1 (resized).JPGTaxi HT1 (resized).JPGTaxi HT2 (resized).JPGTaxi HT2 (resized).JPGWhich would you rather have?

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

Order placed for Taxi. Thanks!

IMG_4513 (resized).JPGIMG_4513 (resized).JPGYou will love it!

1 week later
1 week later
#383 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

the Pharaoh that Skypilot recently did is in a public pincade in Akron, Ohio. Last report was that it was working/looking great. It's been 45 -60 days or so in a public place.

Pharaoh is at Stonehenge in Akron. It, along with Andy's Wizard and my partially populated Taxi will all be on display and discussed at our seminar at the Cleveland show next weekend. The seminar will cover Clearcoating ,Hardtops and Restorations.Pharaoh will also be in the freeplay area for the show. If you are considering this product (which you should)and can come to the Cleveland show, the seminar is at 4 pm Friday. We will be installing a wizard Hardtop live.

#385 6 years ago

I know Outsidedge will be at Expo.

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Did I understand your post correctly that you will be demonstrating how to clear coat the hardtop product?

No, we will be discussing clear coating on playfield s. We will also be discussing and installing a Hardtop. And finally we will be talking about restoring pinball machines.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I don't see any need to clear coat a Hardtop! Hardtops are changing pinball for the better.

No one is clear coating a Hardtop

IMG_0249 (resized).JPGIMG_0249 (resized).JPG

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

skypilot , Will your talk be recorded? As somebody who has done clearing of an original PF, cleared an overlay, and looking forward to the HS hardtop, I'd like to see that presentation.

I spoke with Marvin, (One of the show organizers)He said he will have it recorded.

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

skypilot , Will your talk be recorded? As somebody who has done clearing of an original PF, cleared an overlay, and looking forward to the HS hardtop, I'd like to see that presentation.

So we did a Facebook live on the seminar. Look up pirates Life Pinball on Facebook if you wish to see the presentation.

#405 6 years ago

So we were fortunate to have the designer of this product show up to the Cleveland pinball show and check things out.

IMG_4659 (resized).JPGIMG_4659 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#423 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Any update on Frontier?

Frontier is in the works as we speak.

3 weeks later
#464 6 years ago

I feel like my Pharaoh has been anointed.

IMG_4915 (resized).JPGIMG_4915 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#502 6 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Any Chance of doing a Sorcerer Hardtop have not seen anything available for it anywhere

Sorcerer is in the CPR queue. Outside edge is not currently doing any hardtops on games that have playfields being made by others TMK.

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Any plans for Flight 2000 or any other classic Sterns or Bally's?

B/W is all that I'm aware of at present.

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Meteor has been in Cpr’s Boutique “gathering interest” section for at least nine months now. Stern made 8,362 Meteors and almost everyone that I have seen has sections worn to the wood or heavy planking. This title should sell well for you.

Let me preface this by saying I do not work directly for Outsidedge. I am nearly a consultant and friends with the owners.

There is currently no agreement with Stern or Gottleib on Hardtops. That does not mean that its not being considered or discussed. It just means for the present time B/W is the only one in the Queue.

#512 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I would suggest either removing the white film

This is or should be in the instructions. When the first games were proto typed we changed the format to include removal of the white protective film. My first videos had the plastic taken off last. I need to correct that.

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from Limited89:

New Black Knight owner and new to this site but would be interested in a hardtop for the Black Knight was referred to this post by another member as I was originally looking for a reproduction but cannot find one anywhere as everyone is sold out and not making them anymore.

I believe Black Knight is almost ready fo release.

4 weeks later
#548 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

To protect the wood and make things as flat as possible.

Please do not try to clearcoat a hardtop. They are not designed to be clear coated. It is a poly carbonate with a special coating on top to help the playfield resist wear.

#549 6 years ago

I restore games all the time. I put in NOS playfields and remake playfields. I have these clearcoated locally by a professional. I have also installed several hardtops. I do not clearcoat these. They are designed as an alternative.

#553 6 years ago

My apologies , I should have read back a few. I remember having a discussion with someone earlier who wanted to clear overs hardtop and I thought we were going down that road again.

When you sand down the playfield you have two options in preparing the inserts. You want them to look clear befor applying the hardtop. You can polish them with high grit sandpaper or you can use a form of clearcoat. The second option is easier but puts a new variable in the equation.

#555 6 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

can you explain? pros and cons sand insert vs. clearing insert. thanks.

Sanding the inserts down to a high-grade polish to make them look like glass is a bit more work. Pro to that is no other chemicals have been introduced between the hardtop and the playfield. The con to that is the amount of work. The pro to clearing the insert is less work is involve. You do not have to sand them down as much. Also by clearing the inserts you're helping to seal the edges and keep dust from coming up between the insert and the hardtop. The only con that I know of is any concerns about outgassing.

#563 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Is the Frontier getting close?

Yes, I am just finishing up the prototype for outside edge. I would imagine they will release it in a week.

IMG_5380 (resized).JPGIMG_5380 (resized).JPG

IMG_5381 (resized).JPGIMG_5381 (resized).JPG

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Can anyone confirm this?

Black knight is almost ready.

#582 6 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

All yeah! Is there a wait list or anything?

No wait list .Outsidedge will announce its availability as soon as it is successfully prototyped.

#590 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Are we close enough that I can start my tear down or should I wait a bit and play it a few more times...?

Play it another week or two.

1 week later
#606 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Is Frontier ready yet?

Yes,I finished prototyping it a few weeks ago. Check their website.

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Hasn't made it to the website yet

I will give him a shout

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Yes,I finished prototyping it a few weeks ago. Check their website.

Quoted from Skypilot:

I will give him a shout

Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All, and Happy New Year! Frontier is now live for ordering at http://www.pinballgifts.com Enjoy!

I want to change my Avatar to "HARDTOP OVERLORD"

1 week later
#652 6 years ago

Gents,

You lightly sand the whole playfield to get rid of burrs/bumps from screws. You sand all inserts down until they are clear. You need to sand all inserts that are sticking up/ lifted on the PF until they are level. Any areas that certain Playfields show woodgrain without artwork/ paint should also be sanded.
All that said,it's easier to just sand the entire playfield.
You do not apply adhesive on the inserts.
You can apply a clear (ex. Acrylic ) over the inserts or sand them down with a very high grit to achieve a clear/polished look to the inserts before the Hardtop is applied.
And yes there is no glue/adhesive applied on the back of the hardtop where the inserts are located , just new insert art.

#665 6 years ago

Lets talk Flash Gordon Hardtop. images2 (resized).jpgimages2 (resized).jpgI have been hounding Bruce on this one. I know he is working out a few technicalities and it is on the radar.
Please upvote this post "ONLY" if you plan on purchasing one.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#679 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I will do you one better. I want it so bad that I have a high res scan, partially color corrected already (been working on it for my own game) that I will share with him if he just finished the color correction and makes the damn thing. I'll add that I'll finish the correction if he gives me a free one.

Thanks and appreciated but your scans are not needed.

Quoted from sohchx:

Yup, and Gottlieb is the first to come to mind. I won't hold my breath to ever see anything playfield related. You can beg for black hole and Haunted House all you want but it just wont happen. It upsets me too, but it is what it is.

Never say never The success of these B/W titles is being noticed by others.

1 week later
#693 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I'm kinda committed to BK. No turning back at this point otherwise I now own an interesting whitewood or I'm on the hunt for another playfield!

Get those inserts polished!!!

#703 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

so I am prepping my Frontier for the new hard top install...when I removed the pop bumpers I found that there are big ass nail heads above the playfield that hold the bumper coil brackets...
I don't know how I will be able to sand the playfield flat with those things there...and I can't picture pulling them out...?
Has anyone else done a Frontier yet? How did you deal with this issue?
TIA

They come out and go back in after the Hardtop is installed.If the stick up on re installation you can ream out the hardtop to recieve them flush.

1 week later
#721 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Not sure what happened there..........repost:
Will do.
But first, I'm populating another Hardtop title.
And there's a 3rd title coming. Don't ask, I'm not telling what they are.
So yeah, the time problem is my own darn fault.
Love that green.
My sanded playfield:
Nice and smooth:

Looks great Phil,
Keep up the good work

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

So I have a few inserts that seem to be "floating". They still stick up a little above the playfield but if I push them down, they will drop below and then eventually spring back up. Is it advisable to keep sanding them until they are flush or would it be better to pop them out and epoxy them back in so they don't move any more?

If they are moving my suggestion would be to remove them and re-glue them.

2 weeks later
#776 6 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Its a shame they have no interest in even scanning the NOS playfield I offered...even if they aren't going to produce it any time soon. Seems short sighted?</blockquote

Not short sided,Just not needed. Relax go play some pinball.

#784 6 years ago
Quoted from spectrum-1980s:

Im in for a flash gordon ! , also how do i get a black knight? and What about an amazing game called Elektra that needs to be re-done!! ehh eh?

Did you put yourself in the unofficial count? Post #665

1 week later
#800 6 years ago

I believe news is coming shortly. Next round of hardtops being decided as we speak.

#805 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Still. Waiting. For. Black. Knight. To. Go. On. Sale!

Talked to Bruce. BK is in production. Once that is complete they will list them for sale. Outsidedge wants them on the shelves so they have no hold-up when ordered.

1 week later
#841 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Man, 14 new posts since I last checked this thread yesterday. I was REALLLLLLY excited for a little while. I'm sure OP is gearing up for TPF and maybe even on the road already. I know I probably seem like a pest in this thread, but at Texas I'll be stopping by, saying hi and thanks for this products, and that I'm really looking forward to High Speed.

Some things in the near future will make you happy some things will not. I do not believe outsidedge will be in Texas this year. They will be in Allentown with Hardtops to sell and display.

#846 6 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

skypilot So no new hardtops will be on display at the Ohio Show?

I will be displaying one at a booth for Bruce. I am also bringing The Pharoah to the show. It is going to be in the tourney
I believe and leaving with a new owner.

#849 6 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Any discount on new hard tops if you have a machine at the show with one installed?

Sorry Ed ,

They don't market that way as of yet.

#855 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Hey Bruce, what happened to BK?

It's coming...., I promise, Be patient,

1 week later
#892 6 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Well that was terrifying...

It wasn’t that bad was it?

2 weeks later
#918 6 years ago

Somewhere recently in this thread someone posted that they use A wet adhesion process. This is not recommended and not warranted. The proper installation is not very difficult. As discussed by others,position the hardtop on a clean play field with all artwork removed from the inserts. When it is in position place a clamp on each side of the playfield approximately half to 2/3 of the way up. This will ensure the hardtop does not move from its existing alignment. Pull the bottom side up and remove The paper covering the 3M adhesive on that half. Let go of the hardtop it will lay down without wrinkle. Now apply pressure to that area to lock it in. Remove the clamps pull back the top side and remove the adhesive backing from the top half let it go. You are done. Again I need to stress there is no reason to use any type of a liquid and float the playfield. This can potential emulsify the adhesive

4 weeks later
#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

I see these listed on the Outside Edge site.
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay (traditional version)
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay - non hotdog "SPACE" and "SHUTTLE" version (less common)
Pharaoh Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - blonde hair version
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - red hair version
Wizard Hardtop playfield overlay
Future Spa Hardtop playfield overlay (widebody)
Comet Hardtop playfield overlay
Frontier Hardtop playfield overlay
Black Knight Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Evel Knievel Hardtop playfield overlay
What is the current list of coming playfields ?
Looks like there is a lot of testing going on for several machines.
Thx.

We will not announce anything in the pipeline for several reasons. The biggest one being the amount of calls and emails and PM’s. It’s wonderfully that everyone is so excited about this product, as am i. The issue is that many people feel they have the next suggestion,the next prototype,the next best game.We are all very passionate about this hobby but we sometimes forget that some of the people involved are busy with much more than just pinball. FYI,several of us own companies with real world issues that must take president over pinball. I hope I’m not coming across as brash, that’s not my intention. I am just hoping to let people understand our process.

That said I can tell you that High speed is in process along with a few others.

#947 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Thanks for the info and explanation.

You are welcome, Here is a link to the High Speed thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed

6 months later
#1010 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Any plans for eight ball deluxe?

Yes next round

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skypilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included?tu=Skypilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.