3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#285 6 years ago

I'd be down for Comet. Being that the playfield paint on most Comets is about as durable as your average chalk drawing and with all the rough looking Comets out there, I imagine you'd sell a few.

1 week later
#292 6 years ago

Comet, outstanding. Just made my day.

3 weeks later
#313 6 years ago

So how do these work with star/rollover targets? Is there just a circular cutout, or a star?

#315 6 years ago

Thanks. So, if I understand that correctly, the star insert is removed and re-inserted to be flush with the overlay. Doesn't sound too bad.

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Except your rollovers are probably brittle and fragile. The keyline art typically is on the insert.. so even using new inserts adds a twist.. and the hardtop placement must be perfect (probably what he is talking about the routing.. cut to fit)
Maybe someone should just create new star posts that are taller. But that too risks fatally breaking the brittle inserts as you insert the new star.

I think I'd just opt for a new insert instead of re-using the original. I kind of like the idea of a clear star insert, even if I'd have to hand draw the keyline art. I've never removed/installed a star insert. I take it that given their nature, they're tough to work with without breaking?

#322 6 years ago

I pulled the playfield last night to look at it. Doesn't look like a bad job to replace the star insert. I just sent my mpu board off to be worked on so this would be a great project while the machine is down.

1 week later
#325 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

I think I would be interested in a Lost World

I'd second that. My lost world is in pretty good condition, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't need this at some point down the road.

#327 6 years ago

How's Comet coming along?

1 week later
#344 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I really, really want to buy a SS hard top for a future buy but don't know if I should get hotdog or Non. Buy both!??!? Lol

Whichever one you get, you'll end up buying the opposite machine.

1 week later
#362 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

That is EXACTLY what we like to hear... well done on your project! I hope the idea of parting out games due to poor condition playfields will come to a hault as we continue to roll out new titles.
Waiting on Comet and Future Spa to be tested in donor's games as we speak. Soon as we get feedback and make any necessary tweaks ... they will go live for ordering as well.
On our screens now... is Black Night.

Think comet will be out by late September? I have a birthday and I'd love to put this on the list...

#379 6 years ago

With how good these look, the ease of installation, the price and (hopeful) long term durability, IMO these are the best option for restoring a playfield for the average enthusiast. A new CPR playfield isn't an option for a lot of people due to price and extremely limited runs. A vinyl overlay can be a total pain in the ass to install and costly if you get into professionally done clear coats. They've really found a nice niche with these overlays.

2 weeks later
#417 6 years ago

Just to be a pain in the ass....how's comet coming along?

1 week later
#434 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

We HOPE to have Comet released for sale this week. Stay tuned!

Outstanding.

1 month later
#511 6 years ago

Finished up my Comet last night. Really impressed with the hardtop. The artwork looks great and the play field looks like it's got a sheet of glass over it. Gameplay is faster and the ball seems to glide across the surface.

One thing I would note for anyone doing an installation. Understandably, no two playfields are alike. All of the cutouts on mine lined up perfectly, but I ended up having a few inserts that were off. Not sure if you can make it out in the picture(the ride again light is noticeable). Since the overlay has a white film over it, it's tough to line up the inserts. I would suggest either removing the white film, or placing a light behind your playfield when lining up the overlay.

All in all, great job on these. It really is a great product and my machine looks like it's brand new.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#536 6 years ago

There's a v cut into the plastic matching the contours of the shooter lane.

#546 6 years ago

You want your inserts to be clear coated. And the adhesive on these will have no problem sticking to paint.

4 weeks later
#621 6 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Just learning about this product! I have a frontier that I might consider doing this to. Has anyone reviewed how these play relative to standard clearcoat games? How well do they hold up over time? Is there any chance there will be a game with one of these installed at Texas Pinball Festival this year?
Thanks!

Gameplay and durability have been discussed severaltines throughout this thread. Cliff notes, it plays great and seems to hold up well.

1 week later
#635 6 years ago

The hardtop doesn't adhere to the inserts

#638 6 years ago

None of the inserts have adhesive. It's just a clear window. The rest of the overlay does, just not where there's an insert. This is the reason you don't get ghosting if the insert starts to cup

#640 6 years ago

Is looks fine. You'd never know the difference by looking at it.

#650 6 years ago

When you sand the playfield, you either sand the inserts down to a fine grit or clear them. You want them liking as nice as possible before laying the hardtop down.

And as far as the adhesive letting go and creating "bubbles"...i don't see that happening. First, the adhesive they use is pretty strong stuff. I couldn't imagine it ever letting go of a properly prepped playfield. Second, the material they use is fairly stiff. Even if the backing did let go, it doesn't seem like it's flimsy enough to make a raised bubble in the middle of the playfield. Compare this to a playfield protector. They use no adhesive on those and don't seem to have any issues.

3 weeks later
#737 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

For those that have done a hard top, how do the completed games play?

Awesome. It's slightly faster and the ball basically glides over the playfield.

2 years later
#1065 3 years ago

I've never had issues with my hardtop attracting dirt.

1 week later
#1073 3 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I am putting a hardtop on a Firepower right now. What are people using to cut the holes bigger for the Round Rollover switches?

I used a rotary tool for the star rollover on my Comet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason43.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included?tu=Jason43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.