3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.
#152 6 years ago

I know multiple people have mentioned EBD and CPR does have it in queue (all spoken for), but I know I'd jump on one of those in a heartbeat. I have a good candidate and the desire, but haven't done a full top and bottom teardown and reassembly before and it will be a while before I have the time and confidence for such an undertaking. Definitely more of a skill consideration than budgetary.

Police Force, on the other hand, I would want because they're always so well-worn/loved but the game just isn't worth spending big bucks to restore. I think there'd be a healthy interest, particularly if the ramps get another run.

It's been danced around a bit in this thread but is there a contractual limitation that precludes Hardtops being made for titles that someone else has recently or is currently reproducing?

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

It's been danced around a bit in this thread but is there a contractual limitation that precludes Hardtops being made for titles that someone else has recently or is currently reproducing?

I don't believe there is. I think it's more of a supply/demand conversation. From my understanding (which I could be wrong), but I believe Outside Edge is more interested in providing the initial hardtop titles to people who currently have no other option available. SS did have a CPR run, but that's one of his favorite pins so that's why it was done first.

#154 6 years ago

Outside Edge works under the permissions of Planetary Pinball. I seriously doubt that Planetary would wish to let a title be made into a hardtop when the permissions have already been given to others to produce an actual playfield. There are so many titles out there that will not be made into playfields.Why in the world would they want to double up on a few titles .

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Outside Edge works under the permissions of Planetary Pinball. I seriously doubt that Planetary would wish to let a title be made into a hardtop when the permissions have already been given to others to produce an actual playfield. There are so many titles out there that will not be made into playfields.Why in the world would they want to double up on a few titles .

Easy...cost. Some people can't afford the cost of a complete playfield swap and this is a more viable option for them. Why would you not want the option? The purists can go the playfield route, and those that are not could go the overlay route. They have been selling overlay decals for years....why is this any different?

#156 6 years ago

Why would a company allow someone they work with to make something in limited demand and then undercut them after an agreement. Good way to lose valuable suppliers. You can count the number of playfield manufacturers on one hand.

Quoted from Manimal:they have been selling overlay decals for years....why is this any different

Because it’s the only true licensee working to remake parts that are reputable. Just because every Tom, Dick and Harry with a scanner is selling crap, doesn't make it right.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Why would a company allow someone they work with to make something in limited demand and then undercut them after an agreement. Good way to lose valuable suppliers. You can count the number of playfield manufacturers on one hand.

Because it’s the only true licensee working to remake parts that are reputable. Just because every Tom, Dick and Harry with a scanner is selling crap, doesn't make it right.

I disagree...these are not the same products. I doubt very seriously if the folks at CPR are going to lose many sales over these...maybe those few that buy the playfield and then chicken out....but the folks that are going to spend the cash and swap playfields are not going to be doing overlays. I believe having this option is actually going to generate more business. There are probably a lot of folks out there that would never attempt a playfield swap, or want to spend $800 on their machine....but would take a chance on an overlay project. And for the record, I wasn't saying people selling shitty decals is right....but what I am saying is this overlay will compete more in that market, and hopefully will impact their sales more than anyone. Then we get rid of shitty decals.......

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I disagree...these are not the same products. I doubt very seriously if the folks at CPR are going to lose many sales over these...maybe a few folks that think they can do it but end up buying the playfield and then chicken out....but the folks that are going to swap playfields are not going to doing overlays. I believe having this option is actually going to generate more business....there are probably a lot of folks out there that would never attempt a playfield swap, or want to spend $800 on their machine....but would take a chance on an overlay project. And for the record, I wasn't saying people selling shitty decals is right....but what I am saying is this overlay will compete more in that market, and hopefully will impact their sales more than anyone. Then we get rid of shitty decals.......

We can agree to disagree. If Planetary felt that this would not hurt suppliers then I’m sure it would be allowed. BTW if you look at some of their suppliers/distro, they are still sitting on several playfields that have been produced in the past. Product sitting is revenue stagnant.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

We can agree to disagree. If Planetary felt that this would not hurt suppliers then I’m sure it would be allowed. BTW if you look at some of their suppliers/distro, they are still sitting on several playfields that have been produced in the past. Product sitting is revenue stagnant.

Yep, we just have opposite views...no harm in that. I even have a different take on that last sentence.....playfields left unsold either means there were more produced than there are games left, or there are a lot of folks that don't want to invest the money/time in their machines. If that is the case.....those are the folks that are going to go after the overlays.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Have you really seen some of the work that "those guys" name not mentioned do. Apron decals that don't match. Spinner decades that are too small. Colors not even close on some.

#161 6 years ago

If CPR did another run of SS for $599 or a Hardtop for $250 - which would you choose?

#162 6 years ago

Honestly at $600 I'd consider the pf option. But realistically those days are over from CPR - expect a pf to be more $800 and up. An $800 pf is easier to swallow on a $2K+ game but for games below that point, a $250 hardtop is way more attractive.

The labor difference is not that significant. In fact, it's a fair trade: you have to sand the pf for a hardtop, but can probably do so while leaving the pf underside mostly alone. No sanding on a new pf, but the underside swapover can be fairly intimidating.

#163 6 years ago

Are those prices right vid? If they are that's a tuff call as I know I could do a PF swap easily but can't afford it personally so the hardtop product would definitely get my consideration.

Does a PF swap make much sense in most titles though?? Putting in another 1-1.5k ?

Now games like MMPM, Flash and other large run machines should have both choices. But it seems these titles don't get the love they deserve and end up getting nothing until they get tossed to the curb.

Why is that? Would a new PF flash ever get the investment back? Where as I can see the 250$ option maybe making sense.

Oh yes and the poll did not include MMPM or Flash both I think would be great titles for your hardtop product. Lower end value machine with high production numbers.

#164 6 years ago

I'd buy the playfield. However I'd buy a hardtop if there weren't any playfields left. The lack of communication from cpr is what makes the playfield market so frustrating. You never know when or if they will run a playfield again. Example: taxi. However they are on a second run of whirlwind so I know they do second runs occasionally. But I don't know if I'd buy a new playfield for a comet which is worth little more than an $800 playfield.

But to be honest, does anyone ever expect to get their money back out of a machine when they put in a new cpr playfield. If you invest that much then you are in too deep unless you are selling retail or collector level and a CPR playfield isn't collector quality without additional work anyway.

#165 6 years ago

Another thing is it's cheaper and easier to keep these overlays in stock on a shelf. You can stack 100 of these in the space of one playfield. Plus material costs are much lower - no inserts, no wood.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Another thing is it's cheaper and easier to keep these overlays in stock on a shelf. You can stack 100 of these in the space of one playfield. Plus material costs are much lower - no inserts, no wood.

no cure time AND NO DIMPLING! lol

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

We'll see. Scratching​, clouding, fading, cracking can be just as bad.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I wonder if when the hardtop overlays start shipping will people bitch because they dont dimple like real wood?

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I wonder if when the hardtop overlays start shipping will people bitch because they dont dimple like real wood?

The only thing certain is that they will bitch.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If CPR did another run of SS for $599 or a Hardtop for $250 - which would you choose?

As others have mentioned, I believe it depends on the game. If you can pick up a beat up SS for $800 and you could get your hands on a CPR playfield for $599, your total investment, not including your free labour to do the swap, isn't so bad. But with the market what it is right now (at least here in Canada) a crappy machine is still selling for $1000 to $1500 and that's if there isn't a bidding war. So the CPR option isn't as viable.

And are people just buying playfields and holding on to them to drive up prices? A couple months ago a CPR Firepower playfield sold for $1200 USD on Ebay. To me, that seems crazy but it's what the market will bear. When I was looking for a CPR playfield for my Firepower a year ago, if a hardtop like this was available, I would have seriously considered it given the price point. I know that I will never get back what I've sunk into my Firepower but the hardtop would have reduced my total investment and would have cut my loses if I ever decided to sell it.

I believe the hardtop is a great option for the average person, not the collector who even turns his nose up at machines with CPR playfields in them. I would love to snag a beat up project machine for $750 and would be happy to install a hardtop in it. This seems to be the best option for those high production run games that are worn down to the wood that someone wants to bring back to life.

And even though I already have a CPR playfield in my Firepower, my vote would be for a Firepower hardtop seeing as there were only 17000+ of them produced!

#171 6 years ago
#172 6 years ago

Firepower has my vote!

#173 6 years ago

How do I get my hands on a Firepower?

#174 6 years ago

Firepower

#175 6 years ago

Firepower- I no longer own one but will again in the future so I would be in for a hardtop for that

#176 6 years ago

Firepower and MMPM are both games I would start shopping for if these were available.

#177 6 years ago

I need two playfields as it is, or I'm turning them into coffee tables, lol.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Ok, how about haunted house? So many of these with beat up playfields, very desirable game, restoration jobs are outrageously costly (and rightfully so). I hope to see the big Gottlieb get a little love some day, because I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to make mine as nice as I'd like it to be!

Even if I sold my Haunted House, I would say this is a good choice for a hardtop down the road as CPR has said that they will never do another multi-level playfield run after Black Knight.

#179 6 years ago

Stopped in today to see progress on the product.

General Pinball 029 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 029 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 027 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 027 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 026 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 026 (resized).jpg

General Pinball 028 (resized).jpgGeneral Pinball 028 (resized).jpg

#181 6 years ago

Yes! Firepower! Or Bally 8 Ball

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

My dream list is:
1. Grand Lizard (all of them have trashed upper playfields)

Seconded... I'd be interested for sure

#183 6 years ago

Is Space Shuttle available yet?

#184 6 years ago

Good news everyone! The material has arrived. We are waiting on another component, but will be ready to sell a few Space Shuttles soon. I am thinking 2 weeks. I am sorry for the delay... material has been the hold up! Wizard, Future Spa, Comet and Pharaoh are all under development. I will have an order set up at www.pinballgifts.com when Space Shuttle is ready. Thank you all for your patience!

#185 6 years ago

So stoked about this product! Keep up the great work and thanks for what you're doing for the hobby.

#186 6 years ago

Count me in for a Space Shuttle!!

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Good news everyone! The material has arrived. We are waiting on another component, but will be ready to sell a few Space Shuttles soon. I am thinking 2 weeks. I am sorry for the delay... material has been the hold up! Wizard, Future Spa, Comet and Pharaoh are all under development. I will have an order set up at http://www.pinballgifts.com when Space Shuttle is ready. Thank you all for your patience!

Will you be doing Flash Gordon?

#188 6 years ago

I just spoke with Outside Edge. They believe Space shuttle will be finished and ready for retail in a couple of weeks. Wizard and Pharaoh are coming along . When they are done we will be testing them for any issues. I can't wait to install this.

2017 007 (resized).JPG2017 007 (resized).JPG

2017 008 (resized).JPG2017 008 (resized).JPG

#189 6 years ago

Well lucky you guys!!

Pharaoh with a production run of 2500 doesn't seem like a great choice for sales but I guess they had easy access to the titles picked. I am just jealous OK.

Looking fantastic!

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well lucky you guys!!
Pharaoh with a production run of 2500 doesn't seem like a great choice for sales but I guess they had easy access to the titles picked. I am just jealous OK.
Looking fantastic!

They are planning to do a bunch of titles. What would you like to see done?

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I have two. Firepower and Firepower.

#192 6 years ago

Flash Gordon please!!!!!!!!!!!

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Anything I own would be nice.

Mr and Mrs PacMan. I brought up hardtop product in a couple of threads and instance sales. Plus very large run 20k.

Same with Flash 19k

Others like HH, FG, BH, HS, I have seen mentioned as well

#194 6 years ago

Haunted House please

#195 6 years ago

Another vote for Mr & Mrs PacMan, would definitely be the tipping factor on some of the project examples I've seen recently. I know a number of people who would jump on an EBD overlay and I'm certainly one as well.

#196 6 years ago

Probably Dreaming but Alien Poker, Flash Gordon, Six Million Dollar Man, Time Warp would be nice.

#197 6 years ago

"Oh" and a heap of early Stern SS titles would be cool.

#198 6 years ago

My vote is for TMNT. I know I'm a minority but atleast I voted!

#199 6 years ago

Hi guys,

a Bobby Or Power Play would be great if sending to europe is possible!

#200 6 years ago

Would love to see this done for Viking! They look great, nice work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.