• Comet 50 votes
    19%
  • Future Spa 36 votes
    14%
  • Wizard 17 votes
    6%

(263 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 127 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg
06837814-3E00-414D-920B-65466EDC4B88 (resized).jpeg
21428013-BACF-40CD-AB77-5B8169DFF8E2 (resized).jpeg
ABF74C74-C61D-43B5-9F08-3DD4C39CCD94 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180331_144005 (resized).jpg
frontier2 (resized).JPG
f3 (resized).JPG
CE549547-13DD-4E55-8741-A00951A947E9 (resized).jpeg
0EB39DFD-64BB-4243-806F-E6DF63D91DEF (resized).jpeg
F355A9CE-FC1B-4F3E-A6F9-A747806006ED (resized).jpeg
EK HARDTOP 1 (resized).JPG

There are 1031 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 21.
#101 2 years ago

I posted some words of caution and tips in the other thread and figured I should post them here too:

I would be concerned about the long term outcome of this experiment. In particular I'm worried that eventually the glue would weaken and the protector would pucker/lift upward in the middle of the playfield. Poly-carbonate expands at a much greater rate than wood when heated.
I made my own protector for a Bally Quarterback. Instead of cutting around all of the playfield posts like existing protectors, I used small holes that went underneath all of the posts and reinstalled the posts on top of the protector. I quickly learned why the protectors were designed to go around all of the posts: to allow for expansion. Within minutes of turning the game on, the protector lifted away from the playfield in the middle by at least a quarter inch! This wildly changed the direction the ball moved in during the game. After turning the game off and letting it cool, the protector sat back down as flat as could be.

I thought about gluing it down, but my solution for this problem was to make sure the game/playfield never heated up. Obviously the first step was to replace every bulb in the entire machine with single LED bulbs. Next I noticed that there was a bridge rectifier installed on the bottom of the playfield using the playfield as a heat sink. I unscrewed the rectifier and attached it to a metal heatsink installed on a plastic standoff. After that I unscrewed all of the relays attached to the bottom of the playfield and installed them on plastic standoffs. Finally I installed a forced air cooling system with two 64CFM fans blowing in through the bottom of the machine where the coin box once was. The air blows directly toward the flippers then passes along the playfield and out the top of the backbox. One entrance, one exit. I installed temp probes in the machine and it doesn't heat up more than one degree even after hours of play! The end result is the playfield protector sits flat and plays amazing no matter how long the game is turned on.

My recommendation for anyone who installs this product is to do whatever possible to remove heat from the game and in particular insulate the playfield from heat producing components and boards. I might have gone overboard with the fans, but better safe than sorry. As long as the game does not heat up much during play, there should be nothing to worry about. I look forward to someday trying one of these on one of my machines.

#102 2 years ago

^ that is why we need to REALLY test this before it rolls out! ^

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I posted some words of caution and tips in the other thread and figured I should post them here too:
I would be concerned about the long term outcome of this experiment. In particular I'm worried that eventually the glue would weaken and the protector would pucker/lift upward in the middle of the playfield. Poly-carbonate expands at a much greater rate than wood when heated.
I made my own protector for a Bally Quarterback. Instead of cutting around all of the playfield posts like existing protectors, I used small holes that went underneath all of the posts and reinstalled the posts on top of the protector. I quickly learned why the protectors were designed to go around all of the posts: to allow for expansion. Within minutes of turning the game on, the protector lifted away from the playfield in the middle by at least a quarter inch! This wildly changed the direction the ball moved in during the game. After turning the game off and letting it cool, the protector sat back down as flat as could be.
I thought about gluing it down, but my solution for this problem was to make sure the game/playfield never heated up. Obviously the first step was to replace every bulb in the entire machine with single LED bulbs. Next I noticed that there was a bridge rectifier installed on the bottom of the playfield using the playfield as a heat sink. I unscrewed the rectifier and attached it to a metal heatsink installed on a plastic standoff. After that I unscrewed all of the relays attached to the bottom of the playfield and installed them on plastic standoffs. Finally I installed a forced air cooling system with two 64CFM fans blowing in through the bottom of the machine where the coin box once was. The air blows directly toward the flippers then passes along the playfield and out the top of the backbox. One entrance, one exit. I installed temp probes in the machine and it doesn't heat up more than one degree even after hours of play! The end result is the playfield protector sits flat and plays amazing no matter how long the game is turned on.
My recommendation for anyone who installs this product is to do whatever possible to remove heat from the game and in particular insulate the playfield from heat producing components and boards. I might have gone overboard with the fans, but better safe than sorry. As long as the game does not heat up much during play, there should be nothing to worry about. I look forward to someday trying one of these on one of my machines.

Thank you for posting your concerns and experience! I have a couple of differences to note, and some details about the adhesive.

First, the testing on this product started over of a year ago. As noted in previous posts (I know there have been a lot of them)... The first "acceptable" Hardtop was installed on my personal Space Shuttle approximately 8 months ago now. There have since been 2 more installed on other games. First was another Space Shuttle in my friend's game and then another in the "official" beta test that I was willing to proceed with after the positive results experienced with the first two in my "inner circle". It was only then that I started making our product idea public by posting about our project.

As a note... There were 4 versions prior that had issues as we tested these. Most dealing with missing holes and adhesive that needed to be changed in the die file.

FYI... to date... "ZERO" issues.. "ZERO" buckling on what we are deeming "ready"

While familiar with expansion and contraction rate differences between wood and Polycarbonate (only one of 2 materials used on the Hardtop) ... it is true I have not conducted actual tests comparing the specific wood product used for playfields to the Hardtop.

A behind the curtain disclosure:... Our ORIGINAL idea for the product (Like I said, over a year ago) would have been ridiculously cool... but it just was not feasible. I know because I tried it, and had the help of some really knowledgable folks in the polymer business helping me. The idea was to create the very product you see that FLOATS over the existing playfield.... no adhesive. I made several, tried them... and while they "could" work, it would have been a disaster trying to make sure each collector installs with NO PINCH POINTS for buckling. It was unwieldy even for us... so we scrapped the idea. With that element gone (of no adhesive)... gone was the marketing claim that these can be purchased to preserve existing,savable, original fields. BUMMER!

However, I have spent 23 years in the commercial/industrial printing/fabricating world and have learned (sometimes the hard way) what works and what does not work. So, we moved on by developing an idea to use an adhesive product that must be VERY robust. We know where to look, and what to use for different applications. The adhesive is a 3M product that is the same used to hold together things outdoors (think temp. changes) on all sorts of materials. This left a market for us to explore that would include "roached" playfields that really had little value and poor play. With this product ... it would (as you have seen in the videos) resurrect a junk field back into an attractive, usable playing surface. As a result of my testing, it appears as though the product delivers just that.

LONGEVITY:
One of my concerns are the durability of the surface itself. Scratching resistance. Polycarbonate on it's own is a poor choice for a playing surface. It's too soft, and easily scratched. So, I set out with my trusty vendor list of plastics professionals and quickly weeded out the folks who did not show the interest, or simply lacked the knowledge to help. I wound up with a hard coating applied to our .030" material that is NOT commercially available. This hard coating is usually on airplane canopies, tall building windows, and other exterior... industrial applications where scratching is to be avoided at high cost. The manufacturer is making this material for me in small runs... as long as I wait for the lengthy lead time.... for a price! I still was not satisfied in spite of my "non scientific" testing with a silver ball at my shop, and with actual testing in my game. I wanted DIRECT comparisons to our product as compared to how games are made right now... and restored ... clear coat! I can honestly say now, that my product withstands swirl and scratching better than clear coat. I have the data in hand from Israel, where the ATSM testing was conducted. I sent actual wood with the same coatings over there. No, the data did not already exist, as the plastics world and the clear coat world do not normally test the same way. Therefore no apples to apples existed.

ADHESIVE:
It is true that I cannot report or guarantee anyone that the adhesive will not "eventually" fail years down the road. As did the fields themselves in the first place! Nothing is forever. What I can say in regard to temperature change is that one of the test Shuttle games is in an unheated garage in Ohio... where we turn on the heat and consume Beer and play games after the temp reaches 60F +... no issues. I can also report that the other game is in my basement that normally is 55-60 degrees until I turn on the gas fireplace... and consume beer. No issues. Fairly decent temperature changes, now that is not to say (to your point) that some games might have hot surfaces that occur that could create problems! We will have to address. We are going to prototype EACH TITLE with collectors (some of which I am sure are reading this) and play them for a while and leave them on for hours and do the things we do with temperature before we just go shipping out tons of these. Actually, while testing.. said collectors may also consume beer. Well, except one who may have a glass of homemade wine.... ANYWAY... I get your concerns, have delt with them on the one titles we have developed and will be shooting the issues out of the air as they arise when we develop COMET, PHARAOH, WIZARD and FUTURE SPA for starters. In all, we have 32 (I think) now on the list to do.

The adhesive life/quality is greatly effected by PREPARATION. Our Shuttle beta tester wrote the book via Youtube how to do it right!

Adhesive effective bonding temperature range: -40F to 400F
Exterior grade and highly effective even in high humidity
Resistant to gasoline, oil, MEK and much more
Untechnical term for adhesive: Badass

We ask for patience as we complete our due diligence for each title. Space Shuttle... I am really comfortable with. Time to move on and doll up more games!

In the end, is this a new playfield? No, nor is it being sold as that. It is a "next best thing" to NOTHING being made, and we have certainly worked hard to develop an exciting option for lots of folks and THOUSANDS of ugly playfields. We are excited, but do not in anyway intend to over sell what this product is. I really do think you will all like it

Happy Friday all!

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Thank you for posting your concerns and experience! I have a couple of differences to note, and some details about the adhesive.
First, the testing on this product started over of a year ago. As noted in previous posts (I know there have been a lot of them)... The first "acceptable" Hardtop was installed on my personal Space Shuttle approximately 8 months ago now. There have since been 2 more installed on other games. First was another Space Shuttle in my friend's game and then another in the "official" beta test that I was willing to proceed with after the positive results experienced with the first two in my "inner circle". It was only then that I started making our product idea public by posting about our project.
As a note... There were 4 versions prior that had issues as we tested these. Most dealing with missing holes and adhesive that needed to be changed in the die file.
FYI... to date... "ZERO" issues.. "ZERO" buckling on what we are deeming "ready"
While familiar with expansion and contraction rate differences between wood and Polycarbonate (only one of 2 materials used on the Hardtop) ... it is true I have not conducted actual tests comparing the specific wood product used for playfields to the Hardtop.
A behind the curtain disclosure:... Our ORIGINAL idea for the product (Like I said, over a year ago) would have been ridiculously cool... but it just was not feasible. I know because I tried it, and had the help of some really knowledgable folks in the polymer business helping me. The idea was to create the very product you see that FLOATS over the existing playfield.... no adhesive. I made several, tried them... and while they "could" work, it would have been a disaster trying to make sure each collector installs with NO PINCH POINTS for buckling. It was unwieldy even for us... so we scrapped the idea. With that element gone (of no adhesive)... gone was the marketing claim that these can be purchased to preserve existing,savable, original fields. BUMMER!
However, I have spent 23 years in the commercial/industrial printing/fabricating world and have learned (sometimes the hard way) what works and what does not work. So, we moved on by developing an idea to use an adhesive product that must be VERY robust. We know where to look, and what to use for different applications. The adhesive is a 3M product that is the same used to hold together things outdoors (think temp. changes) on all sorts of materials. This left a market for us to explore that would include "roached" playfields that really had little value and poor play. With this product ... it would (as you have seen in the videos) resurrect a junk field back into an attractive, usable playing surface. As a result of my testing, it appears as though the product delivers just that.
LONGEVITY:
One of my concerns are the durability of the surface itself. Scratching resistance. Polycarbonate on it's own is a poor choice for a playing surface. It's to soft, and easily scratched. So, I set out with my trusty vendor list of plastics professionals and quickly weeded out the folks who did not show the interest, or simply lacked the knowledge to help. I would up with a hard coating applied to our .030" material that is NOT commercially available. This hard coating is usually on airplane canopies, tall building windows, and other exterior... industrial applications where scratching is to be avoided at high cost. The manufacturer is making this material for me in small runs... as long as I wait for the lengthy lead time.... for a price! I still was not satisfied in spite of my "non scientific" testing with a silver ball at my shop, and with actual testing in my game. I wanted DIRECT comparisons to our product as compared to how games are made right now... and restored ... clear coat! I can honestly say now, that my product withstands swirl and scratching better than clear coat. I have the data in hand from Israel, where the ATSM testing was conducted. I sent actual wood with the same coatings over there. No, the data did not already exist, as the plastics world and the clear coat world do not normally test the same way. Therefore no apples to apples existed.
ADHESIVE:
It is true that I cannot report or guarantee anyone that the adhesive will not "eventually" fail years down the road. As did the fields themselves in the first place! Nothing is forever. What I can say in regard to temperature change is that one of the test Shuttle games is in an unheated garage in Ohio... where we turn on the heat and consume Beer and play games after the temp reaches 60F +... no issues. I can also report that the other game is in my basement that normally is 55-60 degrees until I turn on the gas fireplace... and consume beer. No issues. Fairly decent temperature changes, not that is not to say (to your point) that some games might have hot surfaces that occur that could create problems! We will have to address. We are going to prototype EACH TITLE with collectors (some of which I am sure are reading this) and play them for a while and leave them on for hours and do the things we do with temperature before we just go shipping out tons of these. Actually, while testing.. said collectors may also consume beer. Well, except one who may have a glass of homemade wine.... ANYWAY... I get your concerns, have felt with them on the one titles we have developed and will be shooting the issues out of the air as they arise when we develop COMET, PHARAOH, WIZARD and FUTURE SPA for starters. In all, we have 32 (I think) now on the list to do.
The adhesive life/quality is greatly effected by PREPARATION. Our Shuttle beta tester wrote the book via Youtube how to do it right!
We ask for patience as we complete our due diligence for each title. Space Shuttle... I am really comfortable with. Time to move on and doll up more games!
In the end, is this a new playfield? No, nor is it being sold as that. It is a "next best thing" to NOTHING being made, and we have certainly worked hard to develop an exciting option for lots of folks and THOUSANDS of ugly playfields. We are excited, but do not in anyway intend to over sell what this product is. I really do think you will all like it
Happy Friday all!

Thanks for posting this great info. Question.....do the pf's these go over have to have all the old pf's printing and decals sanded off? I would think so so that all insert decals would be free of the old roached decals. Space Station would be another good one to repo. I have a nasty one here that no one will touch and it sure could use your product.

#105 2 years ago

Dont know how difficult it would be to secure licensing but if you could make these for classic Sterns ( Seawitch, Meteor, Nine Ball etc) I bet you could move a lot of them.
As for Bally.....Vector, Fireball 2, Flash Freakin Gordon, any of the 1981 games should be popular.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Dont know how difficult it would be to secure licensing but if you could make these for classic Sterns ( Seawitch, Meteor, Nine Ball etc) I bet you could move a lot of them.
As for Bally.....Vector, Fireball 2, Flash Freakin Gordon, any of the 1981 games should be popular.

Flash Gordon permission is underway... no promises. IP owners must be part of the equation. I have PPS permission... as long as King Features will grant a license for FG art (for a fee:/)

#107 2 years ago

Will these be made in runs or on demand?
For instance, I have a shuttle in the que to fix but probably won't get to it till next fall. I don't want 300 dollars tied up in a project I won't see in a year.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

LONGEVITY:
One of my concerns are the durability of the surface itself. Scratching resistance. Polycarbonate on it's own is a poor choice for a playing surface. It's too soft, and easily scratched. So, I set out with my trusty vendor list of plastics professionals and quickly weeded out the folks who did not show the interest, or simply lacked the knowledge to help. I wound up with a hard coating applied to our .030" material that is NOT commercially available. This hard coating is usually on airplane canopies, tall building windows, and other exterior... industrial applications where scratching is to be avoided at high cost. The manufacturer is making this material for me in small runs... as long as I wait for the lengthy lead time.... for a price! I still was not satisfied in spite of my "non scientific" testing with a silver ball at my shop, and with actual testing in my game. I wanted DIRECT comparisons to our product as compared to how games are made right now... and restored ... clear coat! I can honestly say now, that my product withstands swirl and scratching better than clear coat. I have the data in hand from Israel, where the ATSM testing was conducted. I sent actual wood with the same coatings over there. No, the data did not already exist, as the plastics world and the clear coat world do not normally test the same way. Therefore no apples to apples existed.
ADHESIVE:
It is true that I cannot report or guarantee anyone that the adhesive will not "eventually" fail years down the road. As did the fields themselves in the first place! Nothing is forever. What I can say in regard to temperature change is that one of the test Shuttle games is in an unheated garage in Ohio... where we turn on the heat and consume Beer and play games after the temp reaches 60F +... no issues. I can also report that the other game is in my basement that normally is 55-60 degrees until I turn on the gas fireplace... and consume beer. No issues. Fairly decent temperature changes, now that is not to say (to your point) that some games might have hot surfaces that occur that could create problems! We will have to address. We are going to prototype EACH TITLE with collectors (some of which I am sure are reading this) and play them for a while and leave them on for hours and do the things we do with temperature before we just go shipping out tons of these. Actually, while testing.. said collectors may also consume beer. Well, except one who may have a glass of homemade wine.... ANYWAY... I get your concerns, have delt with them on the one titles we have developed and will be shooting the issues out of the air as they arise when we develop COMET, PHARAOH, WIZARD and FUTURE SPA for starters. In all, we have 32 (I think) now on the list to do.
Happy Friday all!

That's great to hear.

I can't wait to put a wide body one (like Future Spa) to the test.

The larger the piece of material, the more potential for expansion.

#109 2 years ago

My dream list is:
1. Grand Lizard (all of them have trashed upper playfields)
2. Big Game
3. Embryon

I dont think any of these are gonna get remade

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from DarkTruth:

Will these be made in runs or on demand?
For instance, I have a shuttle in the que to fix but probably won't get to it till next fall. I don't want 300 dollars tied up in a project I won't see in a year.

unlike playfield runs... this is NOT a one and done deal... while they may not be on the shelf (but usually will be)... we would be just a few weeks. The titles requiring actual screen print (think neon colors and similar) ... they my be harder to a la carte run. We would likely print enough though when we run them to last a while.

#111 2 years ago

Put me down for a Pharaoh.

Firepower would be an obvious choice. Spirit, Eight Ball Deluxe.

And of course an idea for down the line. A complete retheme. Take a crappy game like "Hardbody," get Dirty Donny or Zombie Yeti to illustrate a great new theme. Sell the Hardtop, translite, front and site art for $1000. No licensing fees either which is an added bonus.

#112 2 years ago

The OP did a great job replying to the concerns about bending/warping. For reference, the modulus (bulk stiffness) of the plywood and the polycarbonate are not really much different from each other or that different from Mylar. The expansion coefficient of polycarbonate however is 3-4 times that of the plywood, where mylar is only ~2 times more than the plywood. The adhesive takes the brunt of the stresses in this application. We know however the mylar stays bonded basically forever so polycarbonate "might" stay down only half of forever. The other thing is clear coat sticks to wood really well and polyurethane expands and like polycarbonate does, so bonded properly the hardtop should be fine.

#113 2 years ago

Sign me up for a comet. I'd also take a taxi if one came available here before they get back around to another run at CPR.

Thanks

#114 2 years ago

Cyclone would be awesome.
High Speed also ..

#115 2 years ago

You can get a cyclone CPR gold reproduction Plainfield at planetary pinball right now for only $600 I just got one myself recently

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

You can get a cyclone CPR gold reproduction Plainfield at planetary pinball right now for only $600 I just got one myself recently

Yes thats true. But what to do with a worn or extremly dimpled playfield? throw it away? And for around 300$ fo a hardtop , this would be an alternate way to restore this machine.

#117 2 years ago

Just wanted to let you know. I don't know why Planetary has them so cheap unless they overstocked. CPR charged more than that to people who waited on list. But your points are valid. I'd just like to see stuff that doesn't already have options first

#118 2 years ago

MMM
E E E
T T T
E E E
OOO
R R R

I think they made a ton of these and most that I've seen are pretty rough. CPR has it on an 'interest check' list but not even a glimmer of hope has been posted. I'd actually love any classic stern. Especially the lower run games that may never get attention.
Nine Ball would be a selfish request on my part... But there it is

Sounds like a cool product.
Good luck!

#119 2 years ago

I totally would have bought one of these for my Blackout! Hopefully thats one of the 32 pf's being considered. I spent 4 months touching up and repainting and at the end of the day, it looked good, but not original. :/

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Looks like a cool product.
Another idea: you could use this to easily create a retheme. Think of all the Flash machines out there, most with trashed playfields, and nobody really likes the art.
Come up with a new theme (or even upgraded Flash artwork) and have backglasses made, and wham! A rethemed brand new machine for say $600-800 parts plus your labour.
Could be a winner.
rd

Agreed; Flash seems like a dime a dozen game that could really be improved with some better art; playfield overlay and plastics? Sure, seems like a solid idea!

#121 2 years ago

High Speed would be nice

1 week later
#122 2 years ago

I would be all over one for Fash Gordon !

#123 2 years ago

following

#124 2 years ago

Yeah what HE said!

#125 2 years ago

Hello All,
A quick update.... I am approx. 2 weeks away from having material to produce Space Shuttle. I am currently in possession of a Wizard loaner playfield, and a Pharaoh playfield and we are well underway with development of the Hardtops for those.

Right now, I am currently seeking a (1) FUTURE SPA playfield that is stripped to be sent to us. In return, the owner will get the playfield back with a free Hardtop! PM me if interested. We must approve photos of the fields before they are sent if they are in poor condition.

Please note that it's best to work with folks who can complete the installation of the Hardtop on a complete game.

#126 2 years ago

No love for Comet with the second most votes?

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Right now, I am currently seeking a (1) FUTURE SPA playfield that is stripped to be sent to us.

I apologize. We've been so busy with getting things ready for TPF and me working overtime that I was never able to get mine sent out. It's stripped, but I don't have a functional game to install it on anyways. Hope you guys get what you need to tweak and work out kinks. I'm a definite buyer when it comes out.

#128 2 years ago

Can anyone explain what the texture of the PF will be like? Is it essentially hard plastic? Thin wood veneer? Trying to understand what it will 'play' like...Thanks. Love the idea BTW

#129 2 years ago

Bally Frontier is a title that often is very worn(mine included) and not possible to find a replacement for. A shame for such a great pinball machine.

Also interested in Pharaoh and Future Spa.

Best of luck to the makers of this product. A great idea!

#130 2 years ago

I second that, Frontier FTW. Oh, and Nine Ball as well.

#131 2 years ago

Any chances of getting this done for Black Knight at some point?

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All,
A quick update.... I am approx. 2 weeks away from having material to produce Space Shuttle. I am currently in possession of a Wizard loaner playfield, and a Pharaoh playfield and we are well underway with development of the Hardtops for those.
Right now, I am currently seeking a (1) FUTURE SPA playfield that is stripped to be sent to us. In return, the owner will get the playfield back with a free Hardtop! PM me if interested. We must approve photos of the fields before they are sent if they are in poor condition.
Please note that it's best to work with folks who can complete the installation of the Hardtop on a complete game.

I'll see if I can pull one from my buddy this weekend.

It's in real good shape but lots of sunken inserts, and ball swirl.

#133 2 years ago

I have slightly worn Mystic and Galaxy PF's I could volunteer if they get into the cue.

#134 2 years ago

I'd totally be down for a Comet Hardtop!

#135 2 years ago

Here are some pics of rick's FS:

image0000050 (resized).jpg

image0000020 (resized).jpg

image000000 (resized).jpg

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

MMM
E E E
T T T
E E E
OOO
R R R
I think they made a ton of these and most that I've seen are pretty rough. CPR has it on an 'interest check' list but not even a glimmer of hope has been posted. I'd actually love any classic stern. Especially the lower run games that may never get attention.
Nine Ball would be a selfish request on my part... But there it is
Sounds like a cool product.
Good luck!

Meteor would be a great choice

#137 2 years ago

Ok, how about haunted house? So many of these with beat up playfields, very desirable game, restoration jobs are outrageously costly (and rightfully so). I hope to see the big Gottlieb get a little love some day, because I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to make mine as nice as I'd like it to be!

#138 2 years ago

I am interested in a Comet Hardtop. Do you need a Comet playfield? I have one if you need. It was saved by my wife from a local restaurant. He was the original owner. Ugh the duct tape made me a little sad.

IMG_9166 (resized).JPG

#139 2 years ago

Man I just don't know. I just acquired a shuttle with a crummy but ok playfield. Worst part is really the yellowing. I don't know if I could bring myself to sanding it off... My stomach turns thinking about it. At what point of wear should an original be scrapped?

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Man I just don't know. I just acquired a shuttle with a crummy but ok playfield. Worst part is really the yellowing. I don't know if I could bring myself to sanding it off... My stomach turns thinking about it. At what point of wear should an original be scrapped?

Yeah, it all depends on how bad your OCD is.

#141 2 years ago

I'm just curious what it will play like...If its hard plastic wont it play completely differently than wood?

#142 2 years ago

Hi All! OK... an update. The great news is... we have begun artwork on Comet, Pharaoh, Wizard and Taxi! It takes us quite a while, but we are on it... and a collector for each of those titles has already stepped up with a loaner for us to develop from. THANK YOU!

I am working with a few collectors to get me a Future Spa also to work on.

The bad news ... (although not terrible) .... I was supposed to receive my material last week. It is delayed, and we will not receive stock now until 4/21. Then, of course there will be no Shuttle Hardtops for a few weeks after that until we can get them ready to ship.

I hate delays! However, my options are non existent since this material is not available and is made to order.

Stay tuned! No need to private message me asking "how soon" please... it will all be announced here.

Thank you all for your patience.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I'm just curious what it will play like...If its hard plastic wont it play completely differently than wood?

I've never found the acrylic protector I made to play any differently if it's worth anything.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never found the acrylic protector I made to play any differently if it's worth anything.

Whats an acrylic protector? It covers the playfield? Sorry, I'm not familiar with it...thanks!

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Whats an acrylic protector? It covers the playfield? Sorry, I'm not familiar with it...thanks!

Yeah. Like this but no art and not glued down. It's a clear sheet of acrylic plastic to protect the playfield. I don't notice any difference in play with it on. There's always the possibility that whatever material the hardtop uses will react differently, but I doubt it.

#146 2 years ago

Yessss.... Comet and Taxi.

#147 2 years ago

This is awesome! I would no longer be afraid to pickup some of these machines (ala worn out spaceshuttles ive seen all over the place). Lets do this!!!!

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

However, those who choose to do that art need to understand how to set the files up, and know where to back with white, where no to ... matching existing holes... and way more "fun"..... wayyyy more "fun" to get it right.

How much for those of us who know how to make separations? Do you have a per-screen fee?

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

How much for those of us who know how to make separations? Do you have a per-screen fee?

Hi! I am sorry... I don't understand your question. How much for what specifically? We do not have a per screen fee. It's by project. If you are asking how much for a Hardtop if you supply art, that would be really tough... as the art is really only part of the issue. It's fitment/alignment... ball launch area decisions, mounting holes... and more.

If I don't go through the "development" process with a playfield in hand... I can almost guarantee you that I would be sending you a Hardtop with your art on it that won't work well.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi! I am sorry... I don't understand your question. How much for what specifically?

I have separated art, with a cut profile. Seven screens including white. How much?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
2,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Rogersville, MO
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 1,400.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 157.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 1031 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside