• Comet 50 votes
    19%
  • Future Spa 36 votes
    14%
  • Wizard 17 votes
    7%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 127 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg
06837814-3E00-414D-920B-65466EDC4B88 (resized).jpeg
21428013-BACF-40CD-AB77-5B8169DFF8E2 (resized).jpeg
ABF74C74-C61D-43B5-9F08-3DD4C39CCD94 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180331_144005 (resized).jpg
frontier2 (resized).JPG
f3 (resized).JPG
CE549547-13DD-4E55-8741-A00951A947E9 (resized).jpeg
0EB39DFD-64BB-4243-806F-E6DF63D91DEF (resized).jpeg
F355A9CE-FC1B-4F3E-A6F9-A747806006ED (resized).jpeg
EK HARDTOP 1 (resized).JPG

There are 1027 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 21.
#51 2 years ago

A nice thing about this method is, they don't really need to make runs all at once. After they have the art and the holes on file, they're just sending it through a printer and a cutter, so they could, I assume, keep making any of the games whenever someone orders one? No need for 'ten people with interest' or whatever to start another run. As long as there's enough interest once to justify the art costs, you're good, unlike cpr which does a pointlessly small run of a pf and then never touches it again

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Space Station should be on the list, none out there and no one wants to take it on for a refurb.

Oooh, word. That's a great one for this. That's always been a reason I have avoided Space Station...the Sun Process playfields have a much better color profile IMO also, something to be aware of...the difference is fairly noticeable!

#53 2 years ago

Gilligan's Island please! Not sure if anyone will ever get to reproducing the playfields. The inserts are always wasted on that game.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And explain to me where the hell I can get a mint Future Spa at *any* price, since I've seen ONE NOS playfield in the 6 years I've been in the hobby, it's in a game of a local collector to me, and he won't sell it for any price....believe me, I've asked. The playfields have never been repro'ed, or the plastics, or the backglass. Have never seen a playfield that would be worth trying to restore, and I have one already with VERY minimal wear. It's too complicated to be fully repainted, even the stupid inserts are screened with FOUR COLORS instead of just BLACK, and every one I've ever seen except that ONE NOS was yellowed and gross, unless chicks with "hairy" legs is your thing.
I'm sorry you missed your window, but frankly, what does that have to do with me? BK has had playfields run TWICE from what I understand, plastics were run.. pretty sure the backglass was too?
If it was that important to you, which it's clearly NOT since 350 bucks is your ceiling, you could go find one. Just because you don't want to spend the money is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT than *not even having an option*, which are the games I'm advocating are more important to run first. The fact that you personally want to be a cheapskate because you missed them or simply didn't want to pay the price earlier when they were available has zero bearing on the games I'd rather see be *POSSIBLE* to be restored.
I can't just go out and conjure something that doesn't exist out of thin air. You can go buy a restored game, or wait for these to be run, or wait for a repro PF that's already been run to hit ebay....there's at least an option, even if you find it not to your liking. Frankly, I'd rather that CPR was going to run Future Spa, but apparently they just hate the game because there aren't thousands of people crawled up it's rear like Paragon... I'd *rather* sit on a waitlist for two years and pay them 1k for a new production playfield than have to jump through hoops trying to convince someone else to make some kind of alternative solution, but they don't have any interest, because CPR's bottom line (and in some cases their very survival, which I can't argue against..) will always take precedence over what's actually needed. You're taking a VERY narrow view of what's best for the hobby, simply because it would benefit you, IMO. Your opinion is only the most popular games should be preserved....my opinion is that as MANY DIFFERENT games as possible should be preserved. Which one of us is right? I dunno.

Sorry that a lot more people want nice BK playfields than future spa. Its been repro'd twice and there's still people desperate to get nice PF's. Last time I checked successful businesses make money. More demand= more money. Thats why I recommended the games I did. Get yourself established by releasing in demand games first, then you can start working on games barely anybody cares about, like future spa.

And for the record, I prefer my women with no hair growing long anywhere below the eyebrows.

Edit- I forgot to add all the repro BK playfields have the wrong inserts. This is another way to retain the original gem inserts in case that matters to anyone

#55 2 years ago

I could really use a BK2K "hardtop"

#56 2 years ago

Even if they were pumping out a new playfield version every week. They still won't be able to cover all of them in my life time. Not sure why this wasn't done longtime ago.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

And for the record, I prefer my women with no hair growing long anywhere below the eyebrows.

I prefer to let women let it all grow . That's why I want a Future Spa overlay before Black Knight ... I completely dig the ZZ Top-look on chicks ... plus I already have a CPR PF . It's all about MEEEEEEE! .

Just kidding ... I'd love to see BK and others get the new hardtop treatment ... I don't think CPR is ever going to run BK again (I believe I saw that somewhere ... not 100% positive). I kind of suspect we will see an alternative eventually as there are certainly lots of people that wouldn't hesitate having a fresh looking playfield for that game at a really good price.

As a few others pointed out, these hardtops are probably going to be announced once, then available for a while ... they seem to be able to make them on demand.

I, personally, want a Future Spa hardtop first ... I have a trashed playfield for one ... I would rebuild it as I have a perfect backglass for one as well as decent plastics (would prefer to get new ones though ... those new plastics spoil you ). Moreover, I've been dying to try one of these out ever since they were mentioned. That's just me though ... if I didn't get the CPR BK playfields, I'd more than likely have that game at the top of my list.

#58 2 years ago

Casting another vote for Space Station...

I'm not terribly far and could certainly volunteer my game for the R&D process if no better candidate is available.

#59 2 years ago

All 7,000 Future Spa playfields are junk, all 8,000 Comet playfields are junk....there are probably 50 other high volume games that always have junk playfields.

If the printer can do florescent colors, Comet would look great with UV inks. Every time the GI lights flash off, UV lights could come on the other half of the relay.

That would be something you could not get from CPR.....

#60 2 years ago

Florescent colors would be awesome

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Comet would look great with UV inks.

Many, many, many games would look great with UV inks ... especially 70s / early 80s era tables .

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Many, many, many games would look great with UV inks ... especially 70s / early 80s era tables .

Yep.

Comet is already "day-glo" colors, so using UV "day-glo" colors would be so bad ass when the GI lights go out.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

games barely anybody cares about, like future spa.

Papa A bank.

Black Yawn? Not so much. Seems that it's popularity isn't what you perceive it to be. It's not like it's....Crescendo.

You are right about the inserts. I do remember that, but there's a good reason for that... non-finned inserts get cupped WAY easier. It's the lesser of two evils. I do understand though... Future Spa is just as bad if not worse about cupped inserts, but I'm not sure how it would look with finned translucent ones in those big inserts they used for the letters...it would probably look fairly goofy.

You totally didn't answer my part, and instead opted to go full on politician thinking that you can just throw out "but...THE ECONOMY!! *spooky music and jazz hands*" but whatever...this is the type of response I've come to expect on Pinside. IDGAF about the economics of that. I have to assume they at least did SOME research, since they grabbed the license for the rights to do these five games. They are already interested in making them, they had the rights to do so before I asked about it. So whinging to me about the economics of it is entirely a futile endeavor on your part. If they had the rights/art to Black Knight right now, it would be on the list...it's not.

#64 2 years ago

I have a striped Williams Black out playfield if you need to use it.

#65 2 years ago

Another vote for BK. Just because there are reproduction playfields out there doesn't mean we want to pay top $$ for them.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

non-finned inserts get cupped WAY easier. It's the lesser of two evils. I do understand though..

Original black knight did have reinforced inserts, just a different, prettier pattern. They're not available anymore, so cpr uses the normal finned ones, but it means that repro BK playfields never look as nice as originals

#67 2 years ago

How about back to the future and we get someone to do the graphics properly with the actual marty mcfly

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Original black knight did have reinforced inserts, just a different, prettier pattern. They're not available anymore, so cpr uses the normal finned ones, but it means that repro BK playfields never look as nice as originals

Gotcha. Could've sworn those ones down by the flippers were all clear...

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Post your wishes and I will try to keep a running list.If the playfield is in someone elses Que I will not list it.

Blackout - I love this game but my playfields haven't aged well.

#70 2 years ago

Serious question to outside edge. If someone has a pin with a play field that needs to be restored but they want to retheme are you able to print custom graphics on one of the hardtops with the custom hole layout for that specific game. I feel like that could be very useful to a lot of people.

thanks
chris

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from crussomd:

How about back to the future and we get someone to do the graphics properly with the actual marty mcfly

No idea, but I would imagine the licensing in doing that would be very difficult.

#72 2 years ago

Time Warp please. All I have ever seen are trashed. And how about printing new backglasses on that material too!

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the printer can do florescent colors, Comet would look great with UV inks.

Holy Shit YES... rework Space Station into the UV club as well: Pop some UV leds in the multiball GI string, and watch it pop once the game goes dark for "Condition Green". MINDMELT. And the game's nice 2001: A Space Odyssey easter egg would be even more appropriate!

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Holy Shit YES... rework Space Station into the UV club as well: Pop some UV leds in the multiball GI string, and watch it pop once the game goes dark for "Condition Green". MINDMELT. And the game's nice 2001: A Space Odyssey easter egg would be even more appropriate!

Great idea.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from crussomd:

Serious question to outside edge. If someone has a pin with a play field that needs to be restored but they want to retheme are you able to print custom graphics on one of the hardtops with the custom hole layout for that specific game. I feel like that could be very useful to a lot of people.
thanks
chris

That is a great question. I'm curious too.

#76 2 years ago

Count me in for a Space Shuttle too. I just sold my machine, but will be buying another soon so I'd like to have one of these on hand.

#77 2 years ago

I am ready to buy a space shuttle hardtop. Mine plays great but the playfield has seen much better days. I would also love to see a Firepower. I have an extra Firepower playfield that I can send to the developer of the hardtop.

#78 2 years ago

I have Future Spa with a Roached playfield, I would be up for one of these, looks like a great option, put me on the list

#79 2 years ago

These would be great for games that will never get a new playfield due to low production numbers. Or games that are just too cheap to justify putting the money into a new playfield.

Example: Bally-Spectrum - low production numbers, so hard for CPR to justify making.
Bally-Lost World - high production numbers, but too cheap for a new playfield.

#80 2 years ago

I think that Comet would be a good one. So many made, great machine, all playfields are worn. I sold mine so I won't vote. I would put Mata Hari on the wish list. Seems like the CPR ones went fast.

#81 2 years ago

Stern Nine Ball, and Bally Frontier! Need these.

#82 2 years ago

I'd be interested in one for an F-14 Tomcat if you ever get around to adding that game.

#83 2 years ago

I'd love one for Medusa, even with the CPRs still available. I'd much prefer to do something like this than the whole playfield swap thing for mine. I'll do the CPR if I have to, but this sort of thing would be so much easier. Ditto for my Black Knight and Alien Poker.

I think it would be short sighted to limit yourself to only games that haven't been reproduced.

#84 2 years ago

Do we know when and through what channels this will be available? Looking forward to getting a space shuttle.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Do we know when and through what channels this will be available? Looking forward to getting a space shuttle.

Outside Edge will announce when this is available. They were waiting for testing (which is now done)and now they are gearing up for production.

#86 2 years ago

I'm in for three space shuttles. 2 hot dog and 1 circle style 'Space Shuttle' inserts.

#87 2 years ago

id be in for a space shuttle too. is this company going to Allentown and I d have to ask about shipping to Canada.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Hi All! The Hardtops will be available through pinballgifts.com and PPS. When... approx. 6 weeks.
Here is the first title price announcement..... Space Shuttle $298.00 plus shipping.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

id be in for a space shuttle too. is this company going to Allentown and I d have to ask about shipping to Canada.

Not going to Allentown.... next show is Pin a go-go. Although I will be an anonymous pinball head at VFW and Ohio Show as well

In Dixon, we will have our cool lampshades, coasters, wall graphics and neon clocks. Possibly a small amount of Hardtops. It is currently unknown what Hardtops will be available by the time that show gets here.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

I'm in for three space shuttles. 2 hot dog and 1 circle style 'Space Shuttle' inserts.

Yes, those pesky circle insert versions.... we will see what we can do. It may take a bit.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I'd love one for Medusa, even with the CPRs still available. I'd much prefer to do something like this than the whole playfield swap thing for mine. I'll do the CPR if I have to, but this sort of thing would be so much easier. Ditto for my Black Knight and Alien Poker.
I think it would be short sighted to limit yourself to only games that haven't been reproduced.

It's on the "longer range" list!

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from crussomd:

thanks
chris

Well, this is "technically" quite possible. To make a la carte options available is most likely going to be financially unfeasible. Here is why... To have a commercial shop with equipment and people and all the infrastructure it takes to operate at the level we do, we must cover our sizable overhead. In order to do this, we cannot get wrapped up in dealing with an individual's passion for a cool one off idea affordably to said person. We are $85.00 per hour for graphic design. I cannot imagine jumping off into a rabbit hole of a custom design would be just an hour or two... it would be MUCH more.

A quick example: We have between 25 and 40 hours invested in preparing/recreating existing art for a playfield. That said, I imagine "customizing" an existing title would easily run into another 10-20 hours to do it right, anyway.

I cannot imaging many folks being interested in $1,500.00 Hardtops. (Time is money) Now, if art was provided (as long as no IP infringements are imposed) ... It would be less. However, those who choose to do that art need to understand how to set the files up, and know where to back with white, where no to ... matching existing holes... and way more "fun"..... wayyyy more "fun" to get it right.

So....
Can we? ... YES
Is it real feasible? .... NOT REALLY
Will we, under the correct circumstances?... SURE, PROVIDED NO IP IS BEING INFRINGED

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Time Warp please. All I have ever seen are trashed. And how about printing new backglasses on that material too!

It is on our list

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

I will be an anonymous pinball head at VFW and Ohio Show as well

OhioimagesXIUAV3OA (resized).jpg
I got first round.

#95 2 years ago

Do you have a day in mind when they will be available for order, or will you just announce it on the thread here?

Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All! The Hardtops will be available through pinballgifts.com and PPS. When... approx. 6 weeks.
Here is the first title price announcement..... Space Shuttle $298.00 plus shipping.

#96 2 years ago

I would be in for a High Speed for sure!

#97 2 years ago

c'mon, more votes for comet!
-c

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Count me in for a Space Shuttle! Awesome.

Are you taking pre-orders?

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

c'mon, more votes for comet!
-c

When people don't vote, very bad things happen.....

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When people don't vote, very bad things happen.....

Who needs the votes. If these people don't do Comet, they are crazy!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 1027 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside