3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 22.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Yes!!!! Just picked up a project High Speed that was taken down to the playfield and put in boxes. Figuring it out has been fun. Just about got it together with a clear playfield protector until the hard top comes. Going to be awesome!

Well I guess I won't be selling the two I've got...

#902 5 years ago

Sorry if this is a repeat but I would love and elektra upper pf hardtop...that would make my game for me...thanks!

#903 5 years ago

Firepower!?!

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from HamDandsome:

Sorry if this is a repeat but I would love and elektra upper pf hardtop...that would make my game for me...thanks!

Yep, that’d be a seller ... almost all Electra’s I’ve seen have a flakey-paint upper playfield. Mine does.

rd

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from HamDandsome:

It would be perfect as a upper and lower set. No need for the main playfied, but the lower on mine is hashed as well.

#906 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

It would be perfect as a upper and lower set. No need for the main playfied, but the lower on mine is hashed as well.

Is it “hashed” under the acrylic cover?

rd

#907 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is it “hashed” under the acrylic cover?
rd

No, I mean the bottom level mini playfield, not the main level.

#908 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

No, I mean the bottom level mini playfield, not the main level.

Ahhhhhhh I see.

Mine seems ok. But the upper one is toast.

rd

#909 5 years ago

Just did my Taxi....looks awesome and plays smooth.

ABF74C74-C61D-43B5-9F08-3DD4C39CCD94 (resized).jpegABF74C74-C61D-43B5-9F08-3DD4C39CCD94 (resized).jpeg

21428013-BACF-40CD-AB77-5B8169DFF8E2 (resized).jpeg21428013-BACF-40CD-AB77-5B8169DFF8E2 (resized).jpeg

06837814-3E00-414D-920B-65466EDC4B88 (resized).jpeg06837814-3E00-414D-920B-65466EDC4B88 (resized).jpeg

380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#910 5 years ago

Any update on the Firepower Hardtop progess?

#911 5 years ago
Quoted from Balaraform:

Just did my Taxi....looks awesome and plays smooth.

I'm thinking this is on my short list now for mine once it's 100% working (getting closer!). How was the install? Did you do it with two people to help keep it lined up properly? I'm terrified I'd apply it a centimeter short and ruin it...

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Any update on the Firepower Hardtop progess?

I was told at the Ohio Show by a inside source it would be closer to mid/late
summer.

#913 5 years ago

What other option is there besides dry installs?

#914 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I'm terrified I'd apply it a centimeter short and ruin it...

It's not that scary. The hardtop is flexible enough to start with a small section.
Line it up on the playfield with the plastic sheet still on the back. Pull the sheet off part of the adhesive, lay that part down. It won't move after that, as you pull the rest of the plastic off and stick the rest of the hardtop down.
Also, if a "small" part makes contact slightly wrong, you can pull it back up and re-set it correctly.

#915 5 years ago

I've done two now. I position the hardtop on the playfield with the backing still on. Once I'm satisfied with it I put a board across the middle with clamps on each side to hold it. Then I peeled the backing as far as I could from the edge to the clamped board and cut the backing about 3" long and folded it against itself. Now the exposed part of the hardtop gets pressed onto the playfield and rubbed all over so it's solidly in place. Take the clamps and the board off, lift the end that still has the backing and grab that folded over portion and pull the rest of the backing off. Press the rest of the hardtop to the playfield. Sounds more complicated than it was to do but with the clamps and doing 1/2 at a time the position never moved.

#916 5 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I was told at the Ohio Show by a inside source it would be closer to mid/late
summer.

I donated the playfield for the prototype (last August). I'm told the prototype is close. At one point I was hoping to have it done for PATZ this weekend . But, alas, that didn't happen. Good things come to those that wait. Hardtops are an awesome option for these games.

#917 5 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

I've done two now. I position the hardtop on the playfield with the backing still on. Once I'm satisfied with it I put a board across the middle with clamps on each side to hold it. Then I peeled the backing as far as I could from the edge to the clamped board and cut the backing about 3" long and folded it against itself. Now the exposed part of the hardtop gets pressed onto the playfield and rubbed all over so it's solidly in place. Take the clamps and the board off, lift the end that still has the backing and grab that folded over portion and pull the rest of the backing off. Press the rest of the hardtop to the playfield. the position never moved.

This.

#918 5 years ago

Somewhere recently in this thread someone posted that they use A wet adhesion process. This is not recommended and not warranted. The proper installation is not very difficult. As discussed by others,position the hardtop on a clean play field with all artwork removed from the inserts. When it is in position place a clamp on each side of the playfield approximately half to 2/3 of the way up. This will ensure the hardtop does not move from its existing alignment. Pull the bottom side up and remove The paper covering the 3M adhesive on that half. Let go of the hardtop it will lay down without wrinkle. Now apply pressure to that area to lock it in. Remove the clamps pull back the top side and remove the adhesive backing from the top half let it go. You are done. Again I need to stress there is no reason to use any type of a liquid and float the playfield. This can potential emulsify the adhesive

#919 5 years ago

Taking the plunge on a Hardtop for my Pharaoh restoration. Playfield was pretty trashed to begin with in non-mylared areas, and the mylar removal wasn't a success as it has been for me in the past. Looking forward to seeing the product for the first time in person at Pinfest.

#920 5 years ago

Any idea on the High Speed topper? If you need one I've got a couple extras I'd be willing to send over...

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Taking the plunge on a Hardtop for my Pharaoh restoration. Playfield was pretty trashed to begin with in non-mylared areas, and the mylar removal wasn't a success as it has been for me in the past. Looking forward to seeing the product for the first time in person at Pinfest.

That a boy! I'm going to get Walt M. to pick up my Black Knight hard top at PinFest. Save a little bit on the shipping charges. I've been talking about this with the boys at Bluffs for a few months. A few of them are curious how this is going to work out. For an absolutely trashed playfield, this seems like a great option! I'm dying to get this BK finished as it's been sitting in my basement sanded down for a few months!

#922 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

That a boy! I'm going to get Walt M. to pick up my Black Knight hard top at PinFest. Save a little bit on the shipping charges. I've been talking about this with the boys at Bluffs for a few months. A few of them are curious how this is going to work out. For an absolutely trashed playfield, this seems like a great option! I'm dying to get this BK finished as it's been sitting in my basement sanded down for a few months!

The big appeal to me... besides cost... is not having to strip the underside of the playfield. I hadn't even considered this prior to a conversation with some local collectors. Now if they would just make an EBD I'd be set

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

The big appeal to me... besides cost... is not having to strip the underside of the playfield. I hadn't even considered this prior to a conversation with some local collectors. Now if they would just make an EBD I'd be set

I think my guys are a bit skeptical as to how this will play. The BK I'm working on had a horribly bad playfield and I immediately thought this would be a great candidate for a hardtop. And good luck finding a CPR playfield that wouldn't completely break the bank. I think this is a lot better than parting out a working machine because of a crappy playfield. Will it be "original" or perfect? No, but it will give it new life at a decent price and it isn't a huge undertaking like a full playfield swap!

#924 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I think my guys are a bit skeptical as to how this will play. The BK I'm working on had a horribly bad playfield and I immediately thought this would be a great candidate for a hardtop. And good luck finding a CPR playfield that wouldn't completely break the bank. I think this is a lot better than parting out a working machine because of a crappy playfield. Will it be "original" or perfect? No, but it will give it new life at a decent price and it isn't a huge undertaking like a full playfield swap!

Agree on all counts... Micro had said that EBD was "in the schedule" but then put a call out for a donor playfied so I'm less hopeful of seeing another EBD remake any time soon. The hardtop looks like a great alternative, hope more titles are announced soon.

#925 5 years ago

what is the shelf life on the adhesive backing? ( how long can a hardtop be stored before use?)

#926 5 years ago

I would like to see an EBD done as well!! Seems like there is still a huge need for this title and the great guys at Hardtop will hopefully get this done!

#927 5 years ago

How about one for Heavy Metal Meltdown. Fantastic game and every single playfield I've ever seen is trashed!

#928 5 years ago

Please do Fish Tales! Yes I know repro playfields were made but this is a much more cost effective option in my opinion.

#929 5 years ago

Count me in for a Firepower!

#930 5 years ago

I will need one for my Firepower that I just picked up. I did my Space Shuttle last year and still looks amazing just like the day it was installed!

DSC00941 (resized).JPGDSC00941 (resized).JPG

DSC00943 (resized).JPGDSC00943 (resized).JPG

DSC00961 (resized).JPGDSC00961 (resized).JPG

DSC00960 (resized).JPGDSC00960 (resized).JPG

DSC00965 (resized).JPGDSC00965 (resized).JPG

#931 5 years ago

DSC01135 (resized).JPGDSC01135 (resized).JPG

#932 5 years ago

Mata Hari would be nice. Power Play for that matter too........

#933 5 years ago

Grand Lizard! Impossible to find one without a blown out upper playfield.

#934 5 years ago

All are amazing suggestions...right after Flash Gordon

#935 5 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Grand Lizard! Impossible to find one without a blown out upper playfield.

Well, close to impossible. I have one of the few left.

#936 5 years ago

Was the hard top set made for the upper and lower playfields for Elektra? Seems like everyone is in need of those.

#937 5 years ago

Swords Of Fury would be nice

#938 5 years ago

I am in for a firepower
Frank

#939 5 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

what is the shelf life on the adhesive backing? ( how long can a hardtop be stored before use?)

It's 3M 300LSE. You can search for the data sheet, which says:

Storage: Store at room temperature conditions of 70°F (21°C) and 50% relative humidity.
Shelf Life: If stored properly, product retains its performance and properties for 18 months from date of shipment.

I suspect it's quite usable for pinball purposes for a lot longer than that because sticking to wood/paint is a breeze compared to everything else they recommend it for. Lightly oiled surfaces? Really?

#940 5 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

It's 3M 300LSE. You can search for the data sheet, which says:
Storage: Store at room temperature conditions of 70°F (21°C) and 50% relative humidity.
Shelf Life: If stored properly, product retains its performance and properties for 18 months from date of shipment.
I suspect it's quite usable for pinball purposes for a lot longer than that because sticking to wood/paint is a breeze compared to everything else they recommend it for. Lightly oiled surfaces? Really?

There are some crazy aggressive adhesives out there these days.

We used some tape that applies aluminum channel to shelving facing. Can stick a one foot piece (by 1.5" wide) on a shelf, and immediately it'll easily support your own weight hanging from it.

#941 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

. I have one of the few left

I have played it. It is very nice along with his very nice collection. Did you ever get your game room finished?

#942 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I have played it. It is very nice along with his very nice collection. Did you ever get your game room finished?

No. I'm slow.

#943 5 years ago

I see these listed on the Outside Edge site.
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay (traditional version)
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay - non hotdog "SPACE" and "SHUTTLE" version (less common)
Pharaoh Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - blonde hair version
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - red hair version
Wizard Hardtop playfield overlay
Future Spa Hardtop playfield overlay (widebody)
Comet Hardtop playfield overlay
Frontier Hardtop playfield overlay
Black Knight Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Evel Knievel Hardtop playfield overlay

What is the current list of coming playfields ?
Looks like there is a lot of testing going on for several machines.

Thx.

#944 5 years ago

Are there going to be any Hardtops to play on at Lodi's Golden State Pinball Festival this coming weekend? I'd love to have a look and play on one in person.
~Steveo

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

I see these listed on the Outside Edge site.
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay (traditional version)
Space Shuttle Hardtop playfield overlay - non hotdog "SPACE" and "SHUTTLE" version (less common)
Pharaoh Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - blonde hair version
Taxi Hardtop playfield overlay - red hair version
Wizard Hardtop playfield overlay
Future Spa Hardtop playfield overlay (widebody)
Comet Hardtop playfield overlay
Frontier Hardtop playfield overlay
Black Knight Hardtop playfield overlay (upper and lower)
Evel Knievel Hardtop playfield overlay
What is the current list of coming playfields ?
Looks like there is a lot of testing going on for several machines.
Thx.

We will not announce anything in the pipeline for several reasons. The biggest one being the amount of calls and emails and PM’s. It’s wonderfully that everyone is so excited about this product, as am i. The issue is that many people feel they have the next suggestion,the next prototype,the next best game.We are all very passionate about this hobby but we sometimes forget that some of the people involved are busy with much more than just pinball. FYI,several of us own companies with real world issues that must take president over pinball. I hope I’m not coming across as brash, that’s not my intention. I am just hoping to let people understand our process.

That said I can tell you that High speed is in process along with a few others.

#946 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

That said I can tell you that High speed is in process along with a few others.

Thanks for the info and explanation.

#947 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

Thanks for the info and explanation.

You are welcome, Here is a link to the High Speed thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prototyping-a-hardtop-high-speed

#948 5 years ago

You guys are doing great! Keep up the good work!!

#949 5 years ago

Still waiting impatiently for a Blackout...

#950 5 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Still waiting impatiently for a Blackout...

This

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monessen, PA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.