3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.
#852 6 years ago

I have just posted in a seperate thread that we will be taking Evel Kenievel live tonight for ordering @ pinballgifts.com. More to come!

#853 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

I have just posted in a seperate thread that we will be taking Evel Kenievel live tonight for ordering @ pinballgifts.com. More to come!

Hey Bruce, what happened to BK?

#854 6 years ago

By Evel Kenieval, did you mean Flash Gordon

#855 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Hey Bruce, what happened to BK?

It's coming...., I promise, Be patient,

#856 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I know, I know...

#857 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

IF the inserts have lettering on them you'll want to sand that lettering off. The Hardtop will provide new lettering. It is clear over the inserts so you'll want your inserts looking clean and shiny. Otherwise, the surface just needs to be smooth, ie: without divots or bumps. And the surface should be "solid". No dirt, flaking ink or anything like that. Before you apply the Hardtop I would strip the top protective plastic off and lay it on your playfield to see what shows thru. On BK I did a bit of extra sanding around the outlane switches to remove the old graphics because there's a small clear area around the switch opening so there was the possibility of the new graphics not aligning or covering the old graphics. When I did the EK Hardtop the sander was working so well I just took the whole thing to bare wood. At first, you break out in a cold sweat and your stomach tightens up but then it's kinda exciting. And the end result is well worth it.

Quoted from DG_Amuse:

First run at a Hardtop installation. Very impressed. Hope to see more titles released soon. Future Spa, here I come!
Also, interested to see how it holds up on location. It seems very solid at this point.

I also have a Taxi project I'm currently working on and strongly considering a hardtop for. I'm hesitating because I'm not wild about and super comfortable with the idea of depopulating the whole playfield bottom to sand it bare. I'm MUCH more comfortable with the idea of tearing down the top and hand sanding the inserts and smoothing out the rest and not having to tear down the underside. Based on your experiences, it sounds like that could be a realistic approach that wouldn't impact gameplay - is that a fair statement?

#858 6 years ago

You do not have to strip the bottom of the playfield, only the top. That's the really nice feature of doing a Hardtop.
But the Hardtop is gonna impact gameplay! In a good way.

#859 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

You do not have to strip the bottom of the playfield, only the top. That's the really nice feature of doing a Hardtop.
But the Hardtop is gonna impact gameplay! In a good way.

That's the hope! I was concerned that if I'm not sanding it down bare then it would be uneven and you'd get some variance in playfield thickness from the areas with paint transitioning to the areas without paint. I'd obviously get it as smooth as possible, but wasn't sure how those transiston points impacted ball travel or if it was too subtle to notice.

#860 6 years ago

Having sanded and cleared bare playfields, you won't have an issue unless you stay in one single spot. Get some 240 grit on an orbital sander and start slow and easy. You will get a feel for it. If you use something like an 80 grit you might start chewing up way too much, so a lot of getting a nice result is going with an appropriate grit.

#861 6 years ago

The Hardtop is .030" thick and it's pretty rigid. (You'll receive it flat, not rolled up. Or, at least I did.)
The thickness of the paint is not an issue. Flat, level inserts are much more important.

#862 6 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

The Hardtop is .030" thick and it's pretty rigid. (You'll receive it flat, not rolled up. Or, at least I did.)
The thickness of the paint is not an issue. Flat, level inserts are much more important.

Which is why when High Speed is done I'm going to sand mine and clear it. I know there are inserts that will need attention and lowering any raised inserts, dripping clear, and finally clearing and sanding everything flat shows you when the job is done.

#863 6 years ago

Really hoping for Mata Hari!

#864 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Which is why when High Speed is done I'm going to sand mine and clear it. I know there are inserts that will need attention and lowering any raised inserts, dripping clear, and finally clearing and sanding everything flat shows you when the job is done.

What would you clear it? Seems a waste of time.

#865 6 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

What would you clear it? Seems a waste of time.

So that the inserts have a uniform finish after dripping clear in the ones that are low/warped. I have a triangle one that is pretty bad as far as how it sits against the surface of the wood. There are a few others that are probably noticeable as well. So it's probably not needed in most cases, but on my playfield I'm going to go through the process to make sure it doesn't cause issues down the road.

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Having sanded and cleared bare playfields, you won't have an issue unless you stay in one single spot. Get some 240 grit on an orbital sander and start slow and easy. You will get a feel for it. If you use something like an 80 grit you might start chewing up way too much, so a lot of getting a nice result is going with an appropriate grit.

Quoted from 64bsstp:

Awesome, great to know! Seems pretty doable and much less intimidating then depopulating the whole underside.

#867 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Awesome, great to know! Seems pretty doable and much less intimidating then depopulating the whole underside.

For sure. My buddy did a swap on a CPR EK playfield. Beautiful product, but he said the swap was pretty time consuming. Hardtops seem like a great option for games with trashed playfields and the owner doesn't want to drop $800 on a new playfield. With many of the games they have chosen being pretty high run titles, the customer base is going to be quite large.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I had zero experience fixing pins, and my hard top turned out great. I sanded art on and around inserts, and just made the whole playfield smooth. Lots of art was still there when done, except on the inserts, and it was nice and level and smooth. Then, polish the inserts, spray a few light coats of clear, and you are good to go.
I cleared the shooter lane with a few coats too. It was pretty fast compared to what a full swap would be, as I left everything soldered, and dangling below the playfield. I had my shop vac going while I sanded so the mechs stayed clean underneath. Plays way better now!

#869 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

I had zero experience fixing pins, and my hard top turned out great. I sanded art on and around inserts, and just made the whole playfield smooth. Lots of art was still there when done, except on the inserts, and it was nice and level and smooth. Then, polish the inserts, spray a few light coats of clear, and you are good to go.
I cleared the shooter lane with a few coats too. It was pretty fast compared to what a full swap would be, as I left everything soldered, and dangling below the playfield. I had my shop vac going while I sanded so the mechs stayed clean underneath. Plays way better now!

Not to keep cluttering this thread, but I'm convinced! What clear did you use on the inserts and shooter lane if you happen to remember?

#870 6 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Not to keep cluttering this thread, but I'm convinced! What clear did you use on the inserts and shooter lane if you happen to remember?

krylon auto clear in a can.

f3 (resized).JPGf3 (resized).JPG

frontier2 (resized).JPGfrontier2 (resized).JPG

#871 6 years ago

Tominator frontier looks great. Mine turned out nice too. Can't wait for Evel Knievel to be released.

#872 6 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

krylon auto clear in a can.

tominator Got a picture of the can?

#873 6 years ago

Black Knight and Evel Knievel are going live this morning for ordering. We will be able to ship within 1 week of an order, then speeding up shipment from there.
Firepower is CLOSE!

Mata Hari is on deck... think July availability (we hope)
Flash Grodon WOULD be nice wouldn't it?
Silver Ball Mania on deck
High Speed on deck
Time Warp on deck

For those thinkers in the crowd... it may be shopping season at the shows to pick up roached palyfields while they can still be had cheap!

Thanks folks for all the kind words. Just keep saving those games. #neverpartoutagame

#874 6 years ago

Actually, Flash Grodon is Flash Gordon's frizzy haired brother... lol GORDON's ALIVE!! bumm bumm bumm bumm Sorry for the typo

#875 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Black Knight and Evel Knievel are going live this morning for ordering. We will be able to ship within 1 week of an order, then speeding up shipment from there.
Firepower is CLOSE!
High Speed on deck
Time Warp on deck
For those thinkers in the crowd... it may be shopping season at the shows to pick up roached palyfields while they can still be had cheap!
Thanks folks for all the kind words. Just keep saving those games. #neverpartoutagame

Can't wait Bruce!

#876 6 years ago

Black knight is live !

#877 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Firepower is CLOSE!

Awesome! I've been waiting for this one!

#878 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Firepower is CLOSE!
High Speed on deck
Time Warp on deck

Looking at the potential July availability for Mata Hari, are all of the games on that list going to be available in 2018? Even a best guess would be great as to where the 2019 line is drawn.

#879 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Looking at the potential July availability for Mata Hari, are all of the games on that list going to be available in 2018? Even a best guess would be great as to where the 2019 line is drawn.

That was my thought as well. Was waiting for this list to decide the course I'll take on my Blackout.

#880 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#881 6 years ago

Just ordered the BK set. Thanks for making this available for my in good old Black Knight. I was hoping Kevin would remake a CPR playfield set for five years now, this hardtop version will allow for me to retain my original Black Knight jeweled inserts. SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

#882 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Hey Bruce, sent you a PM. Hit me back when you get a sec. thanks!

#883 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

High Speed on deck

Yes!!!! Just picked up a project High Speed that was taken down to the playfield and put in boxes. Figuring it out has been fun. Just about got it together with a clear playfield protector until the hard top comes. Going to be awesome!

#884 6 years ago

If I had an idea and even a ballpark idea, I would order two. Otherwise I am waiting for warmer weather to start the clear on one of them. Pretty please!!

#885 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

So glad to see Mata Hari coming soon! Maybe SBM will be ready right after I finish the MH Hardtop... That would be perfect timing!

-Steve

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Awesome ! I'm in for one

#887 6 years ago

Somebody send in some Swords of Fury playfields!

rd

#889 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Somebody send in some Swords of Fury playfields!
rd

+1 for a friend.

#890 6 years ago

“Lionnnnnmannnn! Needs new playfields! For the Balrog!!”

(That’s mildly funny if you know SOF ...)

rd

#891 6 years ago

Well that was terrifying...

IMG_20180331_144005 (resized).jpgIMG_20180331_144005 (resized).jpg

#892 6 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Well that was terrifying...

It wasn’t that bad was it?

#893 6 years ago

Shouldn't have been terrifying at all. Actually it should have been the opposite. You really cant screw this thing up unless you are super drunk and put the thing on super crooked.

#894 6 years ago

What kind of proposition is there for sending in playfields? I might have a few mentioned

#895 6 years ago

How is the game play on the plastic? Can’t wait to see it for Firepower.

#896 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

What kind of proposition is there for sending in playfields? I might have a few mentioned

I have the same question. Also, do you need the playfield for artwork or as hole templet?
Thanks and throw in my Bally Viking vote here ____

#897 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

How is the game play on the plastic? Can’t wait to see it for Firepower.

Can’t see it being any different then all the games with Mylar. But I’m not a pro player so would never notice the difference.

#898 6 years ago

SOF was offered up. It isn’t on their radar. So, What about Stargate? I can send one of those also.

#899 6 years ago

And I could send a Viking

#900 6 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

SOF was offered up. It isn’t on their radar.

Let’s hope it’s an option on the next “what shall we make” poll.

I’ll take one!

rd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included/page/18?hl=triplemercman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.