• Comet 50 votes
    19%
  • Future Spa 36 votes
    14%
  • Wizard 17 votes
    6%

(262 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 127 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg
06837814-3E00-414D-920B-65466EDC4B88 (resized).jpeg
21428013-BACF-40CD-AB77-5B8169DFF8E2 (resized).jpeg
ABF74C74-C61D-43B5-9F08-3DD4C39CCD94 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180331_144005 (resized).jpg
frontier2 (resized).JPG
f3 (resized).JPG
CE549547-13DD-4E55-8741-A00951A947E9 (resized).jpeg
0EB39DFD-64BB-4243-806F-E6DF63D91DEF (resized).jpeg
F355A9CE-FC1B-4F3E-A6F9-A747806006ED (resized).jpeg
EK HARDTOP 1 (resized).JPG

There are 1027 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.
#651 1 year ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

with hard tops do you have to sand the entire playfield?

No. You only need to remove any loose paint and the printing on the inserts.

#652 1 year ago

Gents,

You lightly sand the whole playfield to get rid of burrs/bumps from screws. You sand all inserts down until they are clear. You need to sand all inserts that are sticking up/ lifted on the PF until they are level. Any areas that certain Playfields show woodgrain without artwork/ paint should also be sanded.
All that said,it's easier to just sand the entire playfield.
You do not apply adhesive on the inserts.
You can apply a clear (ex. Acrylic ) over the inserts or sand them down with a very high grit to achieve a clear/polished look to the inserts before the Hardtop is applied.
And yes there is no glue/adhesive applied on the back of the hardtop where the inserts are located , just new insert art.

#653 1 year ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I'm confused by the picture above... with hard tops do you have to sand the entire playfield? Also to remove the paint on the inserts is there a chemical that can be used instead of sanding?

You don't want to use a chemical, it will seep in between the wood and the insert and cause problems I would think.

#654 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You don't want to use a chemical, it will seep in between the wood and the insert and cause problems I would think.

Good point I didn't think of that.

#655 1 year ago

I would glue or epoxy any loose lenses!

#656 1 year ago

Since the hardtop looks pretty thick, are there any issues with screws not being long enough? Particularly the regular hex screws and the tiny ramp base screws.

#657 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Since the hardtop looks pretty thick, are there any issues with screws not being long enough? Particularly the regular hex screws and the tiny ramp base screws.

I have the space shuttle hard top. I did not have issues with screws not being long enough, but you have to get creative where the ramp attaches because the it was routed out already into wood and is now deeper with the hardtop in place. I ended up putting down some washers underneath to raise that section

#658 1 year ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Patiently waiting for Barracora, money in hand.

+1

#659 1 year ago

A big thank you goes out to sky pilot. Just got my frontier hardtop it looks amazing. Can't wait to get it installed.

#660 1 year ago

I know a lot of us have Flash Gordon’s that could use this product. Could we atleast add that option to the poll so we can better track how many people would be interested?

#661 1 year ago

skypilot, can you be convinced to say the next Hardtop is High Speed?

#662 1 year ago

High Speed would sell a TON. 590 Pinsiders have the game listed in thier collections. Most of these playfields are blown out.

#663 1 year ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

A big thank you goes out to sky pilot. Just got my frontier hardtop it looks amazing. Can't wait to get it installed.

will you document the swap? I have one on the way and would love to see how yours goes...
at least please keep me posted on any snags you encounter...

#664 1 year ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

I know a lot of us have Flash Gordon’s that could use this product. Could we atleast add that option to the poll so we can better track how many people would be interested?

Yeah Flash Gordon is a sure win. I missed the CPR run and they will likely never do another, so a hardtop would save my game. Do it!

#665 1 year ago

Lets talk Flash Gordon Hardtop. images2 (resized).jpgI have been hounding Bruce on this one. I know he is working out a few technicalities and it is on the radar.
Please upvote this post "ONLY" if you plan on purchasing one.

images (resized).jpg

#666 1 year ago

Great News Earthlings!

#667 1 year ago

Would black hole be a possibility? My pf isn’t blown out but the rings around the pops are and I know a ton of people with blown out pf’s that would do this, since there is no new pf available

#668 1 year ago

Does Outsidedge realize the monster they have created?!?!

I have never seen owners of older games so excited (including myself) about any one product since I've been in this hobby. Just waiting for a game I own to have a Hardtop made for it *cough-Mata Hari-cough* so I can slap one these bad boys on there!

If sales are as good as the demand has been, that's enough to keep you guys busy for many many years to come!

-Steve

#669 1 year ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

Does Outsidedge realize the monster they have created?!?!
I have never seen owners of older games so excited (including myself) about any one product since I've been in this hobby. Just waiting for a game I own to have a Hardtop made for it *cough-Mata Hari-cough* so I can slap one these bad boys on there!
If sales are as good as the demand has been, that's enough to keep you guys busy for many many years to come!
-Steve

This also makes me not worry to buy an old blown out of game on their list as I can restore it fairly easily.

#670 1 year ago

Loving this thread...this is an awesome product.

#671 1 year ago

My upvote for Flash Gordon should be two, not one, as I have two Flash Gordon machines I want to restore with this.

#672 1 year ago

So, what is the official list of titles that are in development?

-Steve

#673 1 year ago

would love to see firepower done

#674 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Lets talk Flash Gordon Hardtop. I have been hounding Bruce on this one. I know he is working out a few technicalities and it is on the radar.
Please upvote this post "ONLY" if you plan on purchasing one.

I will do you one better. I want it so bad that I have a high res scan, partially color corrected already (been working on it for my own game) that I will share with him if he just finished the color correction and makes the damn thing. I'll add that I'll finish the correction if he gives me a free one.

#675 1 year ago

These are awesome .Im getting ready ready to put one on my Space Shuttle. Impatiently waiting until Firepower and Black Knight are released!

#676 1 year ago
Quoted from Drickey86:

Impatiently waiting until Firepower and Black Knight are released!

If this was around a couple of years ago, I may have gone this route with my FP. I was able to find a CPR playfield and it "only" cost me $600 CDN (a little less than $500 USD). Tough deal to pass up even though I thought it was pricey at the time!

I am now waiting very impatiently for BK to go up for sale on the website. Whoever is out there test fitting BK for Outside Edge, hurry up already!

#677 1 year ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I will do you one better. I want it so bad that I have a high res scan, partially color corrected already (been working on it for my own game) that I will share with him if he just finished the color correction and makes the damn thing. I'll add that I'll finish the correction if he gives me a free one.

The technicalities as I understand it are licensing. So it’s not a lack of desire to make it, but people who won’t five him the right to do so. Applies to all licensed themes even 30+ years after the machines were made

#678 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

The technicalities as I understand it are licensing. So it’s not a lack of desire to make it, but people who won’t five him the right to do so. Applies to all licensed themes even 30+ years after the machines were made

Yup, and Gottlieb is the first to come to mind. I won't hold my breath to ever see anything playfield related. You can beg for black hole and Haunted House all you want but it just wont happen. It upsets me too, but it is what it is.

#679 1 year ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Thanks and appreciated but your scans are not needed.

Quoted from sohchx:

Yup, and Gottlieb is the first to come to mind. I won't hold my breath to ever see anything playfield related. You can beg for black hole and Haunted House all you want but it just wont happen. It upsets me too, but it is what it is.

Never say never The success of these B/W titles is being noticed by others.

#680 1 year ago

Would be really cool if something like Class of 1812 could be done, though obviously wouldn’t be a high volume seller. All those pf are thrashed.

#681 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What's the reason? Do they not like money?

#682 1 year ago
Quoted from Drickey86:

These are awesome .Im getting ready ready to put one on my Space Shuttle. Impatiently waiting until Firepower and Black Knight are released!

Quoted from dzorbas:

I am now waiting very impatiently for BK to go up for sale on the website. Whoever is out there test fitting BK for Outside Edge, hurry up already!

Keep in mind that the first one is a complete reassemble, top & bottom, of a playfield that a person sent to Outeredge for use in the Hardtop creation project - probably a couple months ago. Whenyou buy yours it's a much smaller job, top only. Very nice.

#683 1 year ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Keep in mind that the first one is a complete reassemble

Oh, I understand how the process works. I realize that it takes time to reassemble. I've done 3 full playfield swaps over the last 2 years and know the effort that goes into it. I've put in over 40 hours work on each one. I've touched base with Outside Edge a few times over the last few months. I know someone is working on it, I just know I would be done by now!

I'm trying to be patient. I spent yesterday and today tearing down my BK. Both playfields are sanded clean, need to do some work on the inserts and make myself some new rails.

Just one big piece is still missing!

#684 1 year ago

I am looking to have my Flash Gordon Playfield re-done. Actaully I would like to have the cabinet re-done as well. Please send me a message with pricing if you can do it.

Thanks,

Steve

#685 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Thanks and appreciated but your scans are not needed.

Never say never The success of these B/W titles is being noticed by others.

great news! now how about that SOLAR FIRE ?

#686 1 year ago

Not to completely hijack other petitions of need... but I just picked up a decent project Bad Cats, and that's a great candidate title for one of these. Not too many CPR's out there and the game is hard to justify askings on those pfs, but the hardtop would be perfect.

Let me know if you need the donor game, I'm not too terribly far away.

#688 1 year ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Keep in mind that the first one is a complete reassemble, top & bottom, of a playfield that a person sent to Outeredge for use in the Hardtop creation project - probably a couple months ago. Whenyou buy yours it's a much smaller job, top only. Very nice.

Sold the candidate Black Knight last night.. in need of High Speed!

#689 1 year ago

Cpr already announced that they are looking for donor Nine Ball, Seawitch and Star Gazer playfields so that they can produce these playfields.

#690 1 year ago

There's no way I'm spending CPR money on my Nine Ball. However, Hardtop money I would. Plus, by the time CPR gets around to doing it, I may be too old and feeble to perform a complete playfield swap. So I vote Nine Ball!

May whoever creates the best product for the best value get my money!

#691 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Cpr already announced that they are looking for donor Nine Ball, Seawitch and Star Gazer playfields so that they can produce these playfields.

I’ve been on meteor list for a while now and it’s still at the bottom of the barrel I’m progressing up the demand list. These other classic sterns would be 3 years out at the least!

#692 1 year ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Sold the candidate Black Knight last night..

I'm kinda committed to BK. No turning back at this point otherwise I now own an interesting whitewood or I'm on the hunt for another playfield!

DSC02004 (resized).JPG

DSC02007 (resized).JPG

#693 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I'm kinda committed to BK. No turning back at this point otherwise I now own an interesting whitewood or I'm on the hunt for another playfield!

Get those inserts polished!!!

#694 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Get those inserts polished!!!

I'm working on it Keith! I've got a few that need to be popped out and epoxied back in before I start polishing. I'm fixing some other little issues while I wait. I've emailed Outside Edge (assuming it's Bruce that's responding) for an update and it looks like something is holding things up. Sigh...

#695 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Wow, that's clean.. My other BK is totally original and doesn't need much but a little touch up on the magna save. Not a candidate

20180128_085143 (resized).jpg

#696 1 year ago
Quoted from ltd73:

My other BK is totally original and doesn't need much but a little touch up on the magna save.

Very nice! I wish! But I knew what I was getting into. As soon as I saw my BK I figured a hardtop would be perfect for it and I knew it was in the Outside Edge pipeline. My next big decision once I have the hardtop is whether I want to spend a big chunk of change on a new backglass!

For your Magna Save, I could swear I saw decals somewhere for those. Not sure if you'd want to go that route or would prefer the touch up.

#697 1 year ago

so I am prepping my Frontier for the new hard top install...when I removed the pop bumpers I found that there are big ass nail heads above the playfield that hold the bumper coil brackets...
I don't know how I will be able to sand the playfield flat with those things there...and I can't picture pulling them out...?
Has anyone else done a Frontier yet? How did you deal with this issue?
TIA

IMG_0944 (resized).JPG

#698 1 year ago

Those are finned shanks. Hit the from the bottom with a hammer and put new ones in after the hardtop install

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4506-01106-24B

#699 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Those are finned shanks. Hit the from the bottom with a hammer and put new ones in after the hardtop install
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4506-01106-24B

Thanks!
more shit to order! Damn!

#700 1 year ago
Quoted from tominator:

Thanks!
more shit to order! Damn!

you might be able to reuse if they come out clean and straight

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,400.00
There are 1027 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside