3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180901_192913_572 (resized).jpg
20180819_213803 (resized).jpg
20180817_190855 (resized).jpg
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
DSC01135 (resized).JPG
380DA19B-3C4F-425C-9D7B-19824A0AA39D (resized).jpeg

There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 22.
#601 6 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Any recent news on a Flash Gordon hardtop?

I might be needing one of those Flash Gordon hardtops!

IMG_2773 (resized).JPGIMG_2773 (resized).JPG

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I might be needing one of those Flash Gordon hardtops!

Looks like my Black Knight! Brutal!

#603 6 years ago

Is Frontier ready yet?

#604 6 years ago

What a fantastic product.

DSC02859 (resized).JPGDSC02859 (resized).JPG

DSC02861 (resized).JPGDSC02861 (resized).JPG

17666d477de8095ae49b317c648dbc4d3681bad4 (resized).jpg17666d477de8095ae49b317c648dbc4d3681bad4 (resized).jpg

0574977cf3e7b3bda96388531529e4c6f557fbf5 (resized).jpg0574977cf3e7b3bda96388531529e4c6f557fbf5 (resized).jpg

8f3ef48808539e21f59ff7b472d93b4edb988c5c (resized).jpg8f3ef48808539e21f59ff7b472d93b4edb988c5c (resized).jpg

#605 6 years ago

I am curious how much variation there is in insert locations from playfield to playfield of the same game. I know the Hardtop makers do their best to make the best fit but is it even possible? I do not own a single factory playfield that does not have a couple of crescent shapes of bare wood next to an insert. Has anyone got an idea of the tolerance of the insert locations as opposed to the factory having the additional problem of aligning the artwork to the wood that hardtop installations can fine tune?

#606 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Is Frontier ready yet?

Yes,I finished prototyping it a few weeks ago. Check their website.

#607 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Hasn't made it to the website yet

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Hasn't made it to the website yet

I will give him a shout

#609 6 years ago

Really impressed with this product, I would recommend it. Waiting on a few more part but can't wait to play on it.

IMG_1544 (resized).JPGIMG_1544 (resized).JPG

#610 6 years ago

Could use a flash gordon as well.

#611 6 years ago

Hello All, and Happy New Year! Frontier is now live for ordering at www.pinballgifts.com Enjoy!

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All, and Happy New Year! Frontier is now live for ordering at http://www.pinballgifts.com Enjoy!

Woot woot! Congrats. Any idea what the next game(s) might be?

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Quoted from Skypilot:

I will give him a shout

Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All, and Happy New Year! Frontier is now live for ordering at http://www.pinballgifts.com Enjoy!

I want to change my Avatar to "HARDTOP OVERLORD"

#614 6 years ago

Patiently waiting for Barracora, money in hand.

#615 6 years ago

Blackout!

#616 6 years ago

RADICAL ! so many out there that need this ripper product. Shxt I have 2 play fields to do.

#617 6 years ago

Please add Flash Gordon to the list.

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All, and Happy New Year!

How close are we to seeing Black Knight for sale? We gotta be close right...?

Any Canucks out there purchase a hardtop yet? Do we have an idea what we are being charged to get them across the border?

#619 6 years ago

still have my fingers crossed for SOLAR FIRE!

#620 6 years ago

Just learning about this product! I have a frontier that I might consider doing this to. Has anyone reviewed how these play relative to standard clearcoat games? How well do they hold up over time? Is there any chance there will be a game with one of these installed at Texas Pinball Festival this year?

Thanks!

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Just learning about this product! I have a frontier that I might consider doing this to. Has anyone reviewed how these play relative to standard clearcoat games? How well do they hold up over time? Is there any chance there will be a game with one of these installed at Texas Pinball Festival this year?
Thanks!

Gameplay and durability have been discussed severaltines throughout this thread. Cliff notes, it plays great and seems to hold up well.

#622 6 years ago

What are the odds Tri-Zone would be done?

#623 6 years ago

I'd like to see Old Chicago as well.

#624 6 years ago

Nice looking product. I'd consider this for any game even if a repro playfield is available or not.

#625 6 years ago

If I dream hard enough when I go to sleep tonight for Black Knight to be released maybe it will actually happen...

Are we close? We gotta be close, right? The anticipation is just killing me! I want to get this project started!

#626 6 years ago

just installed a Taxi Hardtop, and it plays fast and super smooth. Kudos to Outside Edge!

772F2DB1-B4E6-47FD-9F22-A31D6208C55F (resized).jpeg772F2DB1-B4E6-47FD-9F22-A31D6208C55F (resized).jpeg

AAA592A8-59D2-404D-B581-F770D7286B1B (resized).jpegAAA592A8-59D2-404D-B581-F770D7286B1B (resized).jpeg

5B1EAC9A-5E94-4333-93B9-A07198460514 (resized).jpeg5B1EAC9A-5E94-4333-93B9-A07198460514 (resized).jpeg

25B934D5-3FE1-4998-B04B-8281DF6FF4D1 (resized).jpeg25B934D5-3FE1-4998-B04B-8281DF6FF4D1 (resized).jpeg

#627 6 years ago

I think this is the same technology Homepin is using for their Thunderbirds playfields. The future of playfields? Prevents all the issues the current manufacturers are having such as ghosting, excessive dimpling and chipping. Plus easily replaceable.

#628 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The future of playfields? Prevents all the issues the current manufacturers are having such as ghosting, excessive dimpling and chipping. Plus easily replaceable.

That's what I've been thinking for a while now. I wonder why Stern doesn't do this? No ghosting. No dimples.

#629 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

That's what I've been thinking for a while now. I wonder why Stern doesn't do this? No ghosting. No dimples.

Question is, do they even need to keep the base pf as plywood? I'm guessing repairing, manufacturing is easier fixing to wood. Unless there is another material that can be repeatedly screwed into and easily drilled?

Another thought - if new games were made with this technology there might be an aftermarket where new pf art could be easily created by the community. Black and white comic book TWD playfield comes to mind, but there are plenty of other candidates.

You could even "easily" re-theme an old playfield to a completely new game (assuming you can re-code).

#630 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think this is the same technology Homepin is using for their Thunderbirds playfields. The future of playfields? Prevents all the issues the current manufacturers are having such as ghosting, excessive dimpling and chipping. Plus easily replaceable.

...which is precisely why Stern isn’t interested, IMHO. The last thing they want is their PF to last forever. As it is, with so many games going into private collections seeing minimal wear Stern realizes the used games market is a growing threat to future NiB sales. So long as the overall pinball market keeps growing it’s ok, but watch out when/if it starts to contract.

#631 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The last thing they want is their PF to last forever.

I do get that, but the hardtop play field construction would seem like a way to get out from under the "Ohmigherd Ghosting!!!!" warranty issues, or potential warranty issues should any real egregious ghosting show up in light of the Stern "ghosting is normal" warranty statement. Does the play field lasting forever outweigh sending out replacement play fields for ghosting issues every now and then?

#632 6 years ago

I would definitely buy a Flash Gordon the second it became available. Just sayin.

#633 6 years ago

Waiting for a Flash Gordon as well

#634 6 years ago

Couldn’t you still get ghosting of sorts, if the hard top separated from the inserts?

#635 6 years ago

The hardtop doesn't adhere to the inserts

#636 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I thought people were spraying down clear adhesive to attach?

#637 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

From their website, "Aggressive permanent adhesive ensures it attaches securely and lays flat".

#638 6 years ago

None of the inserts have adhesive. It's just a clear window. The rest of the overlay does, just not where there's an insert. This is the reason you don't get ghosting if the insert starts to cup

#639 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

None of the inserts have adhesive. It's just a clear window. The rest of the overlay does, just not where there's an insert. This is the reason you don't get ghosting if the insert starts to cup

If there is a gap between the hardtop and insert, will it look off though? Not full ghosting.

#640 6 years ago

Is looks fine. You'd never know the difference by looking at it.

#641 6 years ago

Get the licensing for Haunted House already !! That would make the day for sooo many people !!!

#642 6 years ago

The day a Harlem Globetrotters one become available it’s ordered.

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

From their website, "Aggressive permanent adhesive ensures it attaches securely and lays flat".

I think this product looks amazing, but we really won’t know how it holds up long term for many years. Possible the colors fade, or the glue gives in spots causing raised ‘bubbles’, etc.

But it absolutely improves a ratted out pf 1000% so worth the risk. Worst case you might want to redo it in 10 years, though I expect removing one of these probably isn’t an option in any case.

#644 6 years ago

I'm confused by the picture above... with hard tops do you have to sand the entire playfield? Also to remove the paint on the inserts is there a chemical that can be used instead of sanding?

#645 6 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I'm confused by the picture above... with hard tops do you have to sand the entire playfield? Also to remove the paint on the inserts is there a chemical that can be used instead of sanding?

Sanding the playfield will take care of any paint on the inserts.

#646 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Sanding the playfield will take care of any paint on the inserts.

That is true but wouldn't that make the inserts appear all scratched up and cloudy? I think it would be easier just to remove the paint on the inserts with some chemical and then just make sure to remove that chemical before putting the hard top down. Just curious if anyone has gone about it this way.

#647 6 years ago

I guess I could be wrong but I would think sanding the inserts with a very fine grit would make them nicer than any chemical remover. Also sanding makes everything flat and level.

Oh and Flash Gordon as well as Seawitch and Flight 2000 please!
Gonna buy a Taxi soon.

#648 6 years ago

That is true but wouldn't that make the inserts appear all scratched up and cloudy? I think it would be easier just to remove the paint on the inserts with some chemical and then just make sure to remove that chemical before putting the hard top down. Just curious if anyone has gone about it this way.

Final sanding won't leave heavy scratches, especially when using an orbital. After that, the clear coat fills them in and leaves it nice and smooth/clear.

#649 6 years ago

With a fine enough sandpaper, they won't be cloudy. Original playfields are sanded, inserts and all, before screening.

#650 6 years ago

When you sand the playfield, you either sand the inserts down to a fine grit or clear them. You want them liking as nice as possible before laying the hardtop down.

And as far as the adhesive letting go and creating "bubbles"...i don't see that happening. First, the adhesive they use is pretty strong stuff. I couldn't imagine it ever letting go of a properly prepped playfield. Second, the material they use is fairly stiff. Even if the backing did let go, it doesn't seem like it's flimsy enough to make a raised bubble in the middle of the playfield. Compare this to a playfield protector. They use no adhesive on those and don't seem to have any issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
2,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cokato, MN
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!
Playfields
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Wichita Falls, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 19.99
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 1,098 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.