(Topic ID: 268801)

Hardtop Install for SS Mata Hari (and now Cabinet Resto, too!)

By Mathazar

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MH Rig (resized).jpg
IMG_9903 (resized).JPG
IMG_9897 (resized).JPG
IMG_9898 (resized).JPG
IMG_9899 (resized).JPG
IMG_9896 (resized).JPG
IMG_9894 (resized).JPG
z86 (resized).jpg
z81 (resized).jpg
z85 (resized).jpg
z84 (resized).jpg
z82 (resized).jpg
z74a (resized).jpg
z62 (resized).jpg
z60 (resized).jpg
z61 (resized).jpg
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

It’s just the solvents in the clear eating the paint. Thinner coats when you clear and longer cure time for the paint before clearing is the fix.
This same thing gets me almost every time. I pretty much do this to myself every project, and every new project I think I have patience but I always end up in the same boat somewhere in the time line, spraying too heavy at first or not letting the previous color cure long enough. So frustrating.
I like the felt

Indeed. I'm going to finish the paint this weekend and then wait a week and finish with the rattle can clear next weekend. That'll be about 6 days for the paint to cure (I waited 2 days before, following the recommendations on the can).

Think that would be enough? How much time to you allot for the paint to cure before putting on your clear coat?

#102 2 years ago

A week should be enough for curing time, especially if you have a fan blowing on it to speed it up.

By the way, I like the red felt idea. I always thought the factory should have had some sort of cushioning material when the playfield is in the service position.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Indeed. I'm going to finish the paint this weekend and then wait a week and finish with the rattle can clear next weekend. That'll be about 6 days for the paint to cure (I waited 2 days before, following the recommendations on the can).
Think that would be enough? How much time to you allot for the paint to cure before putting on your clear coat?

If you are clearing the apron after one color just do the clear about 20 minutes after your last coat of color.

Doing a single color is the best because you can knock it all out in an hour:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumpster-firepower/page/3#post-5552787

You see here how I tried to clear again after a certain amount of time and it wasn’t cured. Got the wrinkle:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumpster-firepower/page/4#post-5584476

Technically it’s because I used too much in one spot because of a bug but, if it was cured it wouldn’t have mattered

1 week later
#104 2 years ago

I went ahead and waited the week for it to cure....sure enough, after a few light coats of rattle can clear, no orange peel! Pretty happy with the results so far...will probably do another couple light coats and call it done. Next step - putting on the new Bally logo stickers.

mrm_4 - how long did you wait after clearing before putting on the apron and shooter stickers? Did you clear again after putting them on to get rid of the ridges of the sticker edges on the apron?

I'm kind of afraid if I tried that the stickers could react badly causing me yet again to go back to square one.....I'll probably live with the ridges and be happy (it'll be under glass, after all). I'm ready to be done with Mata Hari as I'm excited to have a new project to work on. I'm picking up a project Meteor next week, my first "new" pin in the house in about 2 years. I was going to hardtop and Pinball Pimp my Black Knight next but I'm thinking I want to get Meteor at least flipping first.

z86 (resized).jpgz86 (resized).jpg
#105 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I went ahead and waited the week for it to cure....sure enough, after a few light coats of rattle can clear, no orange peel! Pretty happy with the results so far...will probably do another couple light coats and call it done. Next step - putting on the new Bally logo stickers.
mrm_4 - how long did you wait after clearing before putting on the apron and shooter stickers? Did you clear again after putting them on to get rid of the ridges of the sticker edges on the apron?
I'm kind of afraid if I tried that the stickers could react badly causing me yet again to go back to square one.....I'll probably live with the ridges and be happy (it'll be under glass, after all). I'm ready to be done with Mata Hari as I'm excited to have a new project to work on. I'm picking up a project Meteor next week, my first "new" pin in the house in about 2 years. I was going to hardtop and Pinball Pimp my Black Knight next but I'm thinking I want to get Meteor at least flipping first.[quoted image]

With my apron I didn’t clear it so you’re a step over me on that one. I just sprayed it with the yellow and laid the stickers down the next day. I’d say just let it cure the time it says on the can and you’d be fine. Looking good man, excited to see this finish up and on to the next.

#106 2 years ago

I like the yellow apron. Much nicer than the ugly green that goes with nothing.

#107 2 years ago

Glad this worked out!

#108 2 years ago

So close....I was so focused on lining up the top edges on the middle Bally sticker that I didn't think I needed to pay attention to how the bottom lined up. Wrong. Going to have to live with it....overall it came out nice, but the crooked middle sticker is going to haunt me for a while.

IMG_9894 (resized).JPGIMG_9894 (resized).JPG
#109 2 years ago

Fortunately, from the player's perspective, you can't really tell. And I thought these would be the "it's all done" photos but after taking these, I just noticed 2 burned out GI bulbs!

IMG_9896 (resized).JPGIMG_9896 (resized).JPGIMG_9897 (resized).JPGIMG_9897 (resized).JPGIMG_9898 (resized).JPGIMG_9898 (resized).JPGIMG_9899 (resized).JPGIMG_9899 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPG
#110 2 years ago

She’s gorgeous!!! Fantastic job. Makes me want to break down and finally do my CPR that’s been sitting here for months.

I see a 881,000 high score. I still haven’t cracked 600,000!

#111 2 years ago

Where did you get the stickers? I thought they usually didn’t come with the black trim.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Where did you get the stickers? I thought they usually didn’t come with the black trim.

I found the black trim ones at Planetary Pinball (http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DC-AP-MATA) earlier this year. Looks like Marco's also has the black trim ones in stock now for a few dollars less than PP.

#113 2 years ago

Looks great man! I was gonna say im pretty sure the lock down bar covers that small amount of the apron. Turned out really well!

#114 2 years ago

Well done! It took you awhile to get it all done, but it was worth it

#115 2 years ago

Outstanding!
Well worth the wait!

3 weeks later
#116 2 years ago

There are some days when I love to play a complex pin with a deep ruleset and there are some days when I just want to hit drop targets and get specials. I love my restored Mata Hari - it's perfect for satisfying my drop target fix. Symmetrical layout, two banks of 4 targets, wicked fast when tuned right, and more often than not, completely unforgiving.

This hardtop is fast, fast, fast. Combined with new rubbers, a new ball, and a 6.8 degree incline it can be extremely challenging, especially with the spins the ball gets in this setup. But I love it like that. I've chosen to leave the movable posts in the Medium position rather than Liberal or Conservative, but there are times I'd swear there is a magnet pulling the ball into the outlanes.

I set up a recording rig this weekend to capture some game play. Will post links soon.

MH Rig (resized).jpgMH Rig (resized).jpg
#117 2 years ago

Here are a couple of (quick) games. Got some good measured shots in, a few decent saves, a drop catch here and there, but games on this MH have a tendency to go by quickly.

Game One:

Game Two:

#118 2 years ago

Looks so smooth,,, and shiny!

Games playing nicely!

#119 2 years ago

Beautiful! Reminds me I need to tweak my pop bumpers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.50
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-install-for-ss-mata-hari/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.