(Topic ID: 268801)

Hardtop Install for SS Mata Hari (and now Cabinet Resto, too!)

By Mathazar

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Z39 (resized).jpg
Z36 (resized).jpg
Z37a (resized).jpg
Restoring Backbox Registration Mark (resized).jpg
Z20 (resized).jpg
Z21 (resized).jpg
IMG_9693 (resized).JPG
IMG_9699 (resized).JPG
IMG_9698 (resized).JPG
IMG_9697 (resized).JPG
IMG_9694 (resized).JPG
IMG_9696 (resized).JPG
IMG_9695 (resized).JPG
IMG_9700 (resized).JPG
IMG_9701 (resized).JPG
IMG_9662 (resized).JPG

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 days ago

Progress coming along nicely....

IMG_9654 (resized).JPGIMG_9655 (resized).JPGIMG_9656 (resized).JPGIMG_9657 (resized).JPGIMG_9658 (resized).JPGIMG_9659 (resized).JPGIMG_9660 (resized).JPGIMG_9661 (resized).JPG
#52 9 days ago

In queue for tonight - the tilt board. Tumble/polish the tilt ball trough, run the hardness thru the dishwasher to get off 40 years of grime, and put on a new, safer AC cord. Will also sand down smooth and paint red the tilt board itself to compliment the other red accents I did for the cabinet interior.
IMG_9653 (resized).JPG

#53 9 days ago

In queue for the weekend - getting started on the backbox stencil now that the base color (2 coats) is laid down.

IMG_9663 (resized).JPG
#54 9 days ago

Still need to cut out new grounding shields for the backbox. Will use the originals as templates to make the needed holes in the correct spots.

IMG_9662 (resized).JPG
#55 9 days ago

You are on fire!

Lots going on now!

#56 9 days ago

Looks fantastic!

#57 8 days ago

Great progress. I like the red vent grate.

Yves

#58 6 days ago

Refurbished Tilt Board is back in place as is the cleaned lower cab wiring harness with a nice, new safe AC cord.

IMG_9701 (resized).JPGIMG_9700 (resized).JPGIMG_9695 (resized).JPGIMG_9694 (resized).JPGIMG_9696 (resized).JPGIMG_9697 (resized).JPGIMG_9699 (resized).JPGIMG_9698 (resized).JPGIMG_9693 (resized).JPG
#59 6 days ago

That really pops in there. Such a clean rebuild.

#60 6 days ago

So what restoration would be complete without a total f**k up? And I was doing so well....

Started the stencil for the backbox this weekend and laid down the first color (Red) to both sides with plans on finishing with Black by Tuesday. Well...it wasn't until I did the left side Red after completing the right side Red a few hours earlier when I noticed that on the right side, there are no registration marks for the Black stencil! Man 'o man....while I was doing the right side, I was talking to my wife. I was just astonished she came out the garage to see how I was doing on this backbox I've been working on for so long that I wasn't paying full attention while peeling off the Red stencil. Never noticed that the registration marks peeled up right with it. Dammit.

I went thru the garbage, found the balled up peeled right Red stencil, and retrieved the registration marks. I've got a few options here:

- Try lining up the Black stencil by sight. Not really something I want to do...I know it'll be off kilter.
- Sand off that side and start over, delaying backbox completion by a couple weeks or more. Not something I really want to do....not just because of the time, but the hassle of removing all that new paint from the side and redoing it. I reached out to Jeff at Pinball Pimp Stencils to see what he could do with regards to sending me a new Right Red stencil for the backbox.
- Try to recreate the registration marks. It may still be off, but it's got to be better than just doing the Black by sight (or is that doing the Black blindly)? First thought for this would be to pick some reference points on the correct Left Red side paint and measure to those registration squares, make those same measurements on the Right Red side and apply the registration marks I recovered from the trash to the measured positions.

Here are some pix - left side ok, right side whoops. Going to sleep on this again and figure out what I'm going to do over the next few days.

Z20 (resized).jpgZ21 (resized).jpg
#61 5 days ago

Have you learned nothing from MY mistakes?

Man, that just stinks. I eye balled mine, but did have 1 reg mark. You are correct, it'll be a little off kilter. Mine was just a refurb, yours is all in.

My $0.02 - trace the red. Have Jeff send you a new red. Line up your trace on the new stencil. Mark the reg on trace and cab.

Good luck!

#62 5 days ago

Jeff at Pinball Pimp to the rescue. He sent me PDFs of the actual size registration marks in relation to the Right Red stencil. I was then able to trace those PDF printouts, line up the trace on the backbox side, and determine exactly where the registration marks go.

I've got both registration marks in place and will take the black stencil plunge tomorrow night....family plans this evening. Feeling better about the situation now!

Restoring Backbox Registration Mark (resized).jpg
#63 5 days ago

Machine is looking great. Keep up the great work. Glad the stencils worked out for you

#64 4 days ago

I took the plunge and did the black and final paint tonight, and I'm 99% pleased with how the right side turned out (after I messed up the registration marks). It's oh so close, just a hair off (see arrows). The red border inbetween the two arrows is slightly bigger than it should be and if the black stencil was just a cm or two more toward the back, it would've been perfect (and that border by the single arrow would be lined up).

I asked the family to tell me if they saw anything wrong, and they didn't see it until I pointed it out. I can certainly live with it....time to move on!

Z36 (resized).jpgZ37a (resized).jpg
#65 4 days ago

Cut out new backbox shielding tonight. Old and busted originals are lined up against their new replacements. Tomorrow night I'll use the originals as templates for putting the needed holes in the new ones.

Z39 (resized).jpg
#66 3 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I took the plunge and did the black and final paint tonight, and I'm 99% pleased with how the right side turned out (after I messed up the registration marks). It's oh so close, just a hair off (see arrows). The red border inbetween the two arrows is slightly bigger than it should be and if the black stencil was just a cm or two more toward the back, it would've been perfect (and that border by the single arrow would be lined up).
I asked the family to tell me if they saw anything wrong, and they didn't see it until I pointed it out. I can certainly live with it....time to move on! [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic.
For losing registration marks you did a fabulous job!

#67 3 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Cut out new backbox shielding tonight. Old and busted originals are lined up against their new replacements. Tomorrow night I'll use the originals as templates for putting the needed holes in the new ones.[quoted image]

This is such a great addition to your project.

#68 3 days ago

Looks great! The enemy of good is perfect.

Where did you get the backbox shielding?

#69 3 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Looks great! The enemy of good is perfect.
Where did you get the backbox shielding?

Thanx! For the interior sides, I picked up a small roll of aluminum flashing at Home Depot. For the back, I had to order online...neither Home Depot nor Lowes carried aluminum flashing wider than 20" (and the back needs to be about 22") and I didn't want to do the back in two pieces.

I got a roll of 24" wide on Amazon a couple of years ago ($25 for 20 feet) but the vendor I got it from doesn't look like they offer that length anymore, just a 50 foot roll at a pricier $90. FWIW....that 20 foot roll I bought is now exhausted after 3 backbox restores (Black Jack, EBD, and now Mata Hari). So if you got the 50 foot roll, you'd probably get 5 or 6 restores out of it.

amazon.com link »

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside