Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vicjw66
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which has the hardest wizard mode (to get to or complete)”

• IM - DOD Mulitball 13 votes
      10%
    • BDK - Gotham City 2 votes
      2%
    • Tommy 3 votes
      2%
    • TSPP - Super Duper Mega Extreme 47 votes
      37%
    • MM - Battle for the kingdom 6 votes
      5%
    • SS - Spider Multiball 6 votes
      5%
    • LOTR - Valinor 38 votes
      30%
    • Final Battle - Shadow 7 votes
      6%
    • Tron - Potral 4 votes
      3%

(126 votes)

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #52 10 years ago

Stargate has 3 wizard modes. Only game I know of that has 3. But it's bascially like having CV and TAF combined into one game.

#53 10 years ago

Bump for the added poll. My vote is cast.

#54 10 years ago

How is the video mode on MM started? I have never seen it, not even on a tube recording. And never heard anyone mention they've done it.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

IM - Do or Die multiball or whatever it is called is near impossible. I don't know of ANYONE who has legitimately done it.

This is the actual "correct" answer, though I voted SDMEWM in the poll since achieving that is my own personal Holy Grail.

I had this discussion with Bowen a few months back, and he was the one was the one that corrected my assumption that SDMEWM was the hardest. He said that the fact that Do or Die MB must all be earned on a single ball or it resets, makes it the defacto champ for hardness. That doesn't seem to interesting to me personally, but it is very hard. I think he also said it pretty much has to be done on ball one or it becomes impossible. Something to do with the Drone shots if I remember correctly.

-Jim

#56 10 years ago

X-Men - Dark Phoenix.

#57 10 years ago

Hardest one 'to beat' - battle for earth: avengers. Hands down.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

I have been trying every other game I play to speed run Tommy - go through every mode and restart another mode right away without playing the current mode. You don't have to complete the 12 mode objectives to get to Pinball Wizard, you just have to start them. Some modes are very easy to drain out of (esp. Silverball and Cousin Kevin) when you get greedy for points. If I get extra ball mode early, I can often get to 10 or 11 modes. Getting through all twelve is dang hard. It hurts a little when the strategy to get wizard mode is totally different than the strategy to get a lot of points.

Still working on getting to that first Pinball Wizard after having the game almost a year. I left Lyman up there as GC at 1B points for a goal. 708M best so far.

Tommy is a hard game in general I think. I haven't hit wizard mode on it yet, but I haven't had it very long yet either. But, sometimes it's hard to score 100 million on that game with easy drains from the slings. I hit my highest so far yesterday at 475 million with no buy-in on 3-ball. Lyman's still up on my game too, but GC is Wolfy (who I bought the game from) with 1.5 billion. Beginning to wonder if that was a glass on or glass off score! lol Have a feeling it's going to be up there for some time...

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

How is the video mode on MM started? I have never seen it, not even on a tube recording. And never heard anyone mention they've done it.

You have to spell "FIRE" a certain amount of times at the inlanes. I believe it's 8 times but not certain.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

You need to complete the FIRE rollovers eight times. Then shoot Merlin's scoop to start the mode. Almost always requires you to be deep into a long game. You'll never get the mode by just going for it. On a game where you've gotten tons of extra balls (2 castles, 28 mill, treasure room, royal madness) you'll have progressed enough to get video mode usually.

The mode is like 'Defender' where you defend three children from being carried off by giant birds. You kill 20 birds you get an extra ball chance during video mode. You kill 30 birds and you win the mode. You can use a troll bomb on the video mode. The first few times you play it you'll lose and be overwhelmed. After that you can win most of time especially if you use a troll bomb.

Video mode and smack-a-troll are rare from Merlin's scoop because they require tons of progress to get. I think smack-a-troll only comes after you've gotten level three super jets which is not easy. Also on the home rom for MM I believe they set the extra ball light to flash slowly to indicate you have video mode enabled.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hardest one 'to beat' - battle for earth: Avengers. Hands down.

because like ij4 nobody wants to play it that long ZIIIIIIIIIING HEEEEEEEEY OH!

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Tommy is a hard game in general I think. I haven't hit wizard mode on it yet, but I haven't had it very long yet either. But, sometimes it's hard to score 100 million on that game with easy drains from the slings. I hit my highest so far yesterday at 475 million with no buy-in on 3-ball. Lyman's still up on my game too, but GC is Wolfy (who I bought the game from) with 1.5 billion. Beginning to wonder if that was a glass on or glass off score! lol Have a feeling it's going to be up there for some time...

The key to Tommy is learn how to backhand the Union Jack shot. Practice it, get it down. It's the only way you should be shooting for it. Master that, and Pinball Wizard mode is just around the corner. I got to Pinball wizard the 2nd day of owning it. Still hard to do, I just had a good game, but that union jack shot is the key element.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

For all of you that say STTNG has an easy to achieve Wizard mode; How do you have your games set up? Do you try to collect artifacts or do you just start modes and time them out? I always try to get at least 8 artifacts by completing modes to get the 2 billion points and it's literally been months since I last made it to Final Frontier. Achieving Warp Factor 9.9 is no picnic either!

My game is set up factory except for scoring achievements are set to "extra ball" award.

I go for the artifacts and never just let it time out.....unless I'm one mode away from Final Frontier and on my last ball....then I'll wait and go for Final Frontier. I've been to Final Frontier more times than I can count, and I've only had the game since December.

I've never been to warp factor 9.9!

#64 10 years ago

I have escaped the cops in High Speed a few times, so that isn't the hardest.

I have never made it to any wizard mode, but I almost got to Final Frontier last night using all 3 continues. Maybe I should change it to 5 balls for a while.

#65 10 years ago

BBH my friend.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The key to Tommy is learn how to backhand the Union Jack shot. Practice it, get it down. It's the only way you should be shooting for it. Master that, and Pinball Wizard mode is just around the corner. I got to Pinball wizard the 2nd day of owning it. Still hard to do, I just had a good game, but that union jack shot is the key element.

That is 100% the key to achieving the wizard mode on Tommy. Backhand the union jack and then shoot the left orbit to relight the scoop. It's difficult to get to the wizard mode on Tommy but not impossible, I've done it a handful of times. TSPP on the other is pretty damn close to being impossible.

#67 10 years ago

This man actually has a point. I never could get to open season. I've gotten monster buck before, but never could I get with all the other achievements. Owned BBH for 2 years too.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

My game is set up factory except for scoring achievements are set to "extra ball" award.
    I go for the artifacts and never just let it time out.....unless I'm one mode away from Final Frontier and on my last ball....then I'll wait and go for Final Frontier. I've been to Final Frontier more times than I can count, and I've only had the game since December.
    I've never been to warp factor 9.9!

You likey have the extended Outlane guides...or you are REALLY good to get it that often.

#69 10 years ago

Well this looks easy to me (well easy decision, not the wizards ) the great wizard trifecta:
    TSPP - Super Duper Mega Extreme
    LOTR - Valinor
    IM - DOD Mulitball

I will likely never complete any of the above but, I would be interested to see who has completed all of them. There needs to be a crown for such a feat.

#70 10 years ago

I've gotten Warp 9.9 several times, Final Frontier more times than I can think about, and Portal...just as many times as Final Frontier I think?! I'm not sure any of these should be called hard to get to, or to complete..

Been two shots off Valinor before, and one song off Encore @ 6 requests on AC/DC. Got the wiz mode completed on MM and TOTAN, and started on RBION on Pinball Arcade, not that it really counts that way LOL.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Stargate has 3 wizard modes. Only game I know of that has 3. But it's bascially like having CV and TAF combined into one game.

What's the third wizard mode? Are you counting Sandstorm?

#72 10 years ago

some count Sandstorm as a 3rd hidden wizard mode. I don't know what happens if you complete the Stargate and complete all the modes. Never had it happen in the same game. Came close once or twice. Don't know if there is a bonus mode for both.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

You likey have the extended Outlane guides...or you are REALLY good to get it that often.

I'm not a big nudge'er but for some reason I have learned how to nudge STTNG just right to avoid those outlanes.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

This man actually has a point. I never could get to open season. I've gotten monster buck before, but never could I get with all the other achievements. Owned BBH for 2 years too.

People like to diss the BBH all the time. I think they diss it because they suck at it. Only once did I complete Monster Buck. Two times I got Turkey multiball.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

People like to diss the BBH all the time. I think they diss it because they suck at it. Only once did I complete Monster Buck. Two times I got Turkey multiball.

no, people dis it, because the art package sucks, and it's during the Econo time of Stern. When they went extra cheap on everything. it's not a bad game. Better than a lot of Stern. Especially from that era. Can be fun, but the art package is very bad. Still better than ID4 or Xfiles tho. Those games are the worst of it.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Some count Sandstorm as a 3rd hidden wizard mode.

I'd call it more of a mini-wizard mode. It's definitely a cool mode, though. I love the intro for it with the lights and the blowing wind sound.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know what happens if you complete the Stargate and complete all the modes. Never had it happen in the same game. Came close once or twice. Don't know if there is a bonus mode for both.

I've done it several times. Unfortunately, there is no bonus mode. And yes, all the high scores you had on my game have long been surpassed.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'd call it more of a mini-wizard mode. It's definitely a cool mode, though. I love the intro for it with the lights and the blowing wind sound.

I've done it several times. Unfortunately, there is no bonus mode. And yes, all the high scores you had on my game have long been surpassed.

now turn it off of 5 ball and put some pitch on it.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

no, people dis it, because the art package sucks, and it's during the Econo time of Stern. When they went extra cheap on everything. it's not a bad game. Better than a lot of Stern. Especially from that era. Can be fun, but the art package is very bad. Still better than ID4 or Xfiles tho. Those games are the worst of it.

Really? I think the art is bitch'n. Backglass is beautiful. Side art is well done.

#79 10 years ago

There are many challenging wizard modes

Gauntlet of the pirates from POTC is hard to reach and deserves a mention.

DoDMB from IM is one of the most recent hard to reach wizard modes. There are many many wizard modes we can talk about that are extremely tough. I don't know if Valinor and TSPP will reign supreme. They were the start of the ultra hard wizard modes and have been around the longest so they get mentioned the most since more players have probably had access to the games.

In general I feel Wizard Modes under the modern Stern years seem to be much harder than other eras.

#80 10 years ago

Since a few mentioned Super Hero on spiderman, can anyone tell me what all it entails? I still haven't seen any kind of rulesheet for the game, and I'm just now getting good at hitting shots and getting to Battle Royale. I know defeating all 4 bad guys 1 time lights extra ball, 2 times is Battle Royale, and I thought 3 times did Super Hero, but do the other web/white modes factor in to it also?

#81 10 years ago

To reach SuperHero, you have to defeat all the villains 3 times and play all of the timed modes.

#82 10 years ago

TSPP has one of the deepest rulesets with the most difficult qualifications for the wizard mode anywhere. I'm a decent player, but other than Alien Invasion, I rarely see any of the qualifying wizard modes for the big whammy at the end. Of course completing Alien Invasion (to qualify for SUPER DUPER MEGA EXTREME WIZARD MODE) is another matter altogether. Must work on pin-fu!

#83 10 years ago

Anyone who voted for portal as the hardest wizard mode is smoking crack. Tron is a great pin but has a relatively easy wizard mode to get to. I don't know about do or die, but TSPP wizard mode is pretty much impossible to get to.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardest-wizard-modes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.