(Topic ID: 19255)

Hardest pinball machine you've ever played???

By Winball_Pizard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by modfather
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 11 years ago

The topic says it all. Whats the hardest game you've ever played. Don't post about a machine that you've heard is hard. Don't post a list of hard games. Post about the machine that you've played a hundred times trying to get better at but it still laughs in your face and takes your balls... ouch!

Ill start it off with BSD! Mine is setup at 6.5% with white rubbers throughout and it just kicks the crap out of me on a daily basis. I've only had it a few weeks now but, I though maybe it might be possible to get the hang of this machine and tame the beast within that time, wrong! Every once in a while, BSD will give up a high score fooling me into thinking I've learned something or have suddenly gotten better at pinball only to come back and kick me in the teeth repeatedly! lol So whats the hardest pinball machine you've ever played?

#2 11 years ago

My TRON LE kicked my ass regularly for the first 100 games I had it. If you count Orbiter with it's curved walls, it will kick your ass for a while as well.

#3 11 years ago

Attack From Mars. Jackbot.

#4 11 years ago

Fish tales super is pretty tough. For some reason Elvira and the party monsters used to kick my arss!

#5 11 years ago

The Simpsons Pinball Party, Cannot beat it. Drives me crazy

#6 11 years ago

For DMD era I'd go with BSD. That game continually kicks my butt!

For pre-DMD i'd have to say Flash Gordon.-Since I swapped in my CPR playfield, I think my average game-time is about a minute!

#7 11 years ago

The outlines on BBH can be pretty brutal. I have always heard about how difficult BSD is, but I have yet to play. The one game that always got the best of me but kept me coming back for more was whirlwind.

#8 11 years ago

Another vote for Flash Gordon.... that game kicks my but.

#9 11 years ago

This is difficult because all of these games the more you play the easier they get plus the way they are set up makes a huge difference.

BSD - is a great example. Hard at first then it gets easier to continually hit the ramps. BTW its a great game

I found BBB to be pretty hard though I've only played 4-5 games on it.

Johnny M is pretty crazy

I still like Tron in this category. I'm good at it though I never know if I'm going to have a 3 minute or 15 minute game and I've owned it for about a year playing at least 1-2 hours a week.

#10 11 years ago

I will also say bsd. I just picked up a popeye and it also is kicking my butt.

#11 11 years ago

The Shadow has pissed all over me on many occasions.

Iron Man will do the same thing. I've had games on Iron Man that lasted all of about a minute and a half.

#12 11 years ago

I'm going to lean on Sterns for this. IM, ac/dc, SM, Tron, LotR & TSPP, even WPT, if you're trying to get final modes on these games, you are going to be having one hell of a hard time. I can't think of a recent stern that wasn't very brutally hard to get to the final modes on. In some cases the games may seem easy, but in the end you'll just find that you only completed about 3-4 modes.

#13 11 years ago

STTNG can be unforgiving with the factory outlane dividers.

#14 11 years ago

Stern Lightning is pretty tough. So fast and yet I feel like most of the drains are my fault. Feels really great to hit that last target during the last second of Valhalla time, though.

#15 11 years ago

Flash Gordon. Thats a meeeean game.

#16 11 years ago

Black Hole

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 11 years ago

Williams Big Ben........JK.

#18 11 years ago

As we see from the responses so far in this thread, even a seemingly simple word like "hardest" can mean various things when it comes to pinball.

If hardest means the game that is the most difficult to make it to the end of then I'd go with TSPP or WPT.

If hardest means the game I just can't seem to score on and still haven't taken over the GC after years of ownership, then JP and Tommy fit the bill.

If hardest means the game that has the shortest ball times then it's Flash Gordon for me.

#19 11 years ago

JunkYard is my biggest nemesis. I just blow at it. I can't keep a ball up for more than an average of 30 seconds.

#20 11 years ago

iron man. real hard game.
congrats to stern for putting a "old school" style game like that

#21 11 years ago

+1 for Black Hole. Sucks when the ball is slammed past the wire gate and down the right outlane.

#22 11 years ago

A lot of the EMs I've played kick my butt. Luckily most of them are 5 balls, but still. Right now, my Shadow games can be pretty quick. I'll have to check avg ball time in the settings, but I feel like its 30 secs. However I do have to say, ever since I changed the rubbers from black to white, the outlane drains have been reduced.

#23 11 years ago

TFLE, hardest game I've ever owned. Shadow is a walk in the park compared to this thing. Maybe I should adjust the outlane posts or at least add rubber rings to them, but I refuse to at this point.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

The topic says it all. Whats the hardest game you've ever played. Don't post about a machine that you've heard is hard. Don't post a list of hard games. Post about the machine that you've played a hundred times trying to get better at but it still laughs in your face and takes your balls... ouch!
Ill start it off with BSD! Mine is setup at 6.5% with white rubbers throughout and it just kicks the crap out of me on a daily basis. I've only had it a few weeks now but, I though maybe it might be possible to get the hang of this machine and tame the beast within that time, wrong! Every once in a while, BSD will give up a high score fooling me into thinking I've learned something or have suddenly gotten better at pinball only to come back and kick me in the teeth repeatedly! lol So whats the hardest pinball machine you've ever played?

Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Hard to get high scores on, near impossible to get to the wizard mode. No ball save by default with a skill shot that drains if you miss it. A real player's game.

#25 11 years ago

Pinbot can rub your nose in it sometimes... It'll do that thing where it drops out of the Vortex ramp, hits the pops, then shoots down the left outlane without ever going near the flippers.

If it screws you over twice, it will light the Extra Ball light in the outlane, but you still have to cycle it to the correct lane as the ball drains to get it. I think the overt random cruelty of this game is the reason it ended up with the pin between the flippers.

#26 11 years ago

Tommy is by far the hardest game in my collection. Those slings are so brutal sometimes that it's hardly even fair.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

TFLE, hardest game I've ever owned. Shadow is a walk in the park compared to this thing. Maybe I should adjust the outlane posts or at least add rubber rings to them, but I refuse to at this point.

Put the rubbers on; it gives you a slight chance to nudge a possible drain but the game is so fast you have to be quick. I recommend middle or open outlanes; narrow outlanes made the game a little too easy for my liking. In fact, the only game I've owned with narrow outlanes is BBH; that is a must lol.

#28 11 years ago

Pinbot - pop into left drain is just rage worthy, and common.

#30 11 years ago

I've always struggled with IM.

#31 11 years ago

Fishtales and Whirlwind

#32 11 years ago

Im going with BSD and Iron man, both brutal but rewarding, it makes me come back for more everytime...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#33 11 years ago

I'd second TFLE based on getting to the end of the game. Though ball times can be long

I don't know though. I think hardest should mean games with the shortest ball times.

Iron Man once you've played it past 10 games gets a lot easier to get whiplash and Iron Monger multiballs. - I do not think its brutally hard. Though I think it is fast and kicks major arse

#34 11 years ago

+1 whirlwind

#35 11 years ago

To me hardest games means hardest to keep the ball in play, which pretty much eliminates any DMD game. Based on that, the hardest games that I have played are Paragon and Flash Gordon.

#36 11 years ago

Paragon

#37 11 years ago

Flash Gordon kicks my butt. I sold my first one because it frustrated both me and my son too much.

But I had to find another and only recently found it again. Just having that one great ball where the spinners are lit, making that wicked sound, the in-line drops are all down and ready to get that extra ball ... when the inevitable happens ... and it seems the bonus is never going to stop. Awesome. Never leaving.

My Stargate is jacked up as well and it's brutally fast.

#38 11 years ago

Ha Paragon was a hard one for real. What a layout on that beast.

To wizard I would say TF for sure...no chance of it ever happening for me...mostly because it's so tough I gave up!

#39 11 years ago

Bride of Pinbot. Seriously I plunge the ball, make a shot, try a slap save, and it's gone. I haven't even hit the shuttle ramp the last 3 times. My average game time is less than a minute.

#40 11 years ago

LOTR and BSD for me. Actually, BSD was so hard I passed on it as a purchase.

#41 11 years ago

My Shadow kicks my butt.

#42 11 years ago

Cftbl

Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

My Shadow kicks my butt.

Mine use to also until I learned the left orbit-hold upper flipper-mode start combo.

#43 11 years ago

I have to vote Pinbot, that game has always kicked my a$$.

#44 11 years ago

STTNG, by far the hardest and most evil game for draining that I have ever owned, followed by The Shadow.

BSD, Pinbot and Iron Man are the hardest games to play that I haven't owned.

#45 11 years ago

I find acdc even harder than iron man!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Tommy is by far the hardest game in my collection. Those slings are so brutal sometimes that it's hardly even fair.

I ditto the Tommy comment. Only good thing is it is fun getting your butt kicked with that game...I actually chuckle instead of getting frustrated

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Bride of Pinbot. Seriously I plunge the ball, make a shot, try a slap save, and it's gone. I haven't even hit the shuttle ramp the last 3 times. My average game time is less than a minute.

Surely you are kidding. I've had games last an hour+ on mine with 3 Billionaires in same game. The only hard one I've ever played was one way back on location that was missing the spinner lane diverter wire. The ball went sdtm constantly. I love BOP, but I consider it one of the easiest games I have. A favorite though.

#49 11 years ago

I've had huge games on STTNG, but sometimes that game will kick my ass over and over like it is possessed by something evil.

#50 11 years ago

STTNG, BSD, and Shadow can be tough as nails, but with them I agree with what someone posted earlier. Once you get a feel for the games they are manageable for the most part. I've yet to figure out how to manage Tommy or Flash Gordon. Not enough time on Paragon to place it, but I do enjoy playing it when I come across one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardest-pinball-machine-youve-ever-played?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.