• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160312_162107 (resized).jpg
20160312_162122 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

A few weeks ago my left hand side Sandman opto went out on my Stern Spiderman (2007ish run).

I started digging into replacing it, removing parts for access etc (which as usual seemed harder than it should have been ).

I finally had access to the opto, and regretfully unscrewed it and fished it out. It looked like it would be one of those "hope and a prayer" replacement jobs, ad the metal the opto was screwed to was upside down (relative to my access) and super close to one of the pop bumpers.

Anyways seemingly an hour later I had magically levitated the new one into place, against all odds, science, and expectations and screwed it in. And lucky for me it worked! I spent a few extra minutes making sure the opto wires would stay clear of the pop bumper, one of the bad opto's wires had "mysteriously" become disconnected .

I replaced the left hand side Sandman opto just for the heck of it at that point, in less than 5 minutes. Yay?

That left me wondering, what is the hardest opto you have had to replace in terms of time/effort/luck required?

The Sandman assembly clearly was meant to be done before it was installed into the game, but uninstalling the assembly seems like a big ask for replacing a single opto. I might be wrong about that, if so I am sure I will hear about it.

#2 7 years ago

It seems there was one on STTNG that was kind of a chore to get to.

#3 7 years ago

I realize I should have probably taken a picture how hard it was to position the right Sandman opto, but instead here is a pic of my ultimate ball jam on LoTR, a game known for quirky ball jams...

your multiball is OVERyour multiball is OVER

If this game was on location, it would be ROCKED to unjam these balls...If this game was on location, it would be ROCKED to unjam these balls...

#4 7 years ago

Stage Opto on pinball magic. It is not accessible from the bottom. you have to pull the stage. That requires pulling the ramp, pulling the elevator, and then the whole stage.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Stage Opto on pinball magic. It is not accessible from the bottom. you have to pull the stage. That requires pulling the ramp, pulling the elevator, and then the whole stage.

Ouch, that sounds like how the SM opto was set up; lets disassemble half the game to change a 2 dollar part that will for sure "burn out" (the opto "bulb") eventually...

#6 7 years ago

The Optos on the DW time expander isn't a picnic...

#7 7 years ago

I didn't enjoy changing the optos on the ring on lotr.

#8 7 years ago

Maverick, bastard job all of them.

#9 7 years ago

Yeah, Maverick sucks. BSD Mist long beam is a PIA to get too, there's one near the magnet on Dirty Harry that requires tearing down everything pretty much.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Ouch, that sounds like how the SM opto was set up; lets disassemble half the game to change a 2 dollar part that will for sure "burn out" (the opto "bulb") eventually...

Having worked on it they could have just mounted the optos with a bracket attached to the playfield and it would have been fine. Capcom is a weird bird, they did some brilliant stuff and some bone headed stuff.

#11 7 years ago

Yeah, I can see cutting them some slack given they were setting up from scratch. And given the candidates from Williams so far .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardest-opto-you-have-ever-changed-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.