New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 250464)

Hardest and most balanced Sys 11 - or Pre-11 (Sys 7-9) game?

By Pinasco

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Yes- I think it's time for a classic modern pin from either the Sys 11-range or earlier Sys 7-9 generation.

What titles do you guys consider good choices in this respect ?

I'm looking for a game that is playable but still hard enough so you or your guests cant beat it regularly without effort. The game should also be balanced so that
    tournaments are possible without protests

I love my Big Guns, but thats more of a fun & cool game- rather than a challenging one.

#2 1 year ago

Big guns lower PF can be a bitch for sure. Might be balanced out though being able to keep it up top a lot?

#3 1 year ago

Thanks- well you've gotta a good point there. Its certainly not an easy game- but I still get better and longer playtimes on it - so it's not anymore the drain monster it was when I first had it. Although I havent yet made any changes to make it more "nasty" ; steeper angle or narrowing the inlanes etc. The reason for that is that I want the game to be fun when the kiddies and their pals try to "play" pinball on it....

But I would really like to eventually get another classic Sys 11 or earlier generation to put next to Big Guns that is even more of a players challenge.

#4 1 year ago

Reaching the Sun in Pinbot is something I've yet to do. And I've owned two pinbots. Very hard to do I feel.

Cyclone's jackpot is hard to get. Three ramp shots in 20 seconds. That shot, for some reason, seems difficult to make. The angle is funny.

#5 1 year ago

Transporter The Rescue

#6 1 year ago

Pinbot is great. Sorcerer is great. Space Shuttle is a little unbalanced due to the stop and score feature and the randomized Shuttle score value.

I have a strong bias towards Whirlwind, as it’s among my favorite games, but people say you can spam the center ramp to rack up skyway tolls, which is true, but it’s less of an issue than it is on Earthshaker, because Whirlwind has the stargate ramp that blocks access.

#7 1 year ago

Big Guns can be very nasty set up right. I think it's a bit ruined by the progressive jackpot like a lot of System 11 games though, at least for head to head play... But there's a modified ROM to deal with that available now.

I've had my Sorcerer the longest of any of my pins and it's still my favorite... I know some highly skilled players consider it a one shot game but it's still challenging to master and a ton of fun if you play out all of the features and go for maxed bonuses and running the spinners with the playfield multiplier built up in multiball. Outstanding art and sounds too. Firepower II has a lot of the same energy and can be had a lot more readily as well. Unfortunately both are pretty hard to come by with a good condition playfield but #Sorcerer at least is getting reproductions made.

F-14 Tomcat or Black Knight 2000 are my other favorites in this block of pins. I think F-14 Tomcat is the better game but a well squared away Black Knight 2000 turned up loud is just so perfect... Unfortunately the second the flipper mechs start showing some wear it goes from lightning fast and endlessly engaging to lightning fast and endlessly frustrating.

#8 1 year ago

F-14 and Taxi can be very hard.
    Space shuttle at the bottom can be rough as well.
    Rip the post out of the center of WW and it can be tough for some folks.

#9 1 year ago

Not a tournament player so I like the progressive jackpots. Back in the arcades, once it was built up, I would play the ones that were high to get a free credit.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

Big Guns can be very nasty set up right. I think it's a bit ruined by the progressive jackpot like a lot of System 11 games though, at least for head to head play... But there's a modified ROM to deal with that available now.
    I've had my Sorcerer the longest of any of my pins and it's still my favorite... I know some highly skilled players consider it a one shot game but it's still challenging to master and a ton of fun if you play out all of the features and go for maxed bonuses and running the spinners with the playfield multiplier built up in multiball. Outstanding art and sounds too. Firepower II has a lot of the same energy and can be had a lot more readily as well. Unfortunately both are pretty hard to come by with a good condition playfield but #Sorcerer at least is getting reproductions made.
    F-14 Tomcat or Black Knight 2000 are my other favorites in this block of pins. I think F-14 Tomcat is the better game but a well squared away Black Knight 2000 turned up loud is just so perfect... Unfortunately the second the flipper mechs start showing some wear it goes from lightning fast and endlessly engaging to lightning fast and endlessly frustrating.

BK2000 !? ... never put this game in hands of good players... its way to easy

and i love SORCERER, but very easy too, on mine i've "rounded the clock" 2 times on a same game...

#11 1 year ago

Out of my four system 11's, Mousin Around is by far the most challenging to collect the jackpot. To re-lock two balls and hit the ramp shot to the mouse hole before you're out of multi-ball can be very difficult.

#12 1 year ago

Taxi is a solid all around game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 25.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 25.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.90
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 85.00
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside