(Topic ID: 244035)

Hardest and most brutal (layout/shots/drains) modern (dmd/lcd) pins ?

By Mnluz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Hardest and more brutal pins ?”

• Star Wars Premium 15 votes
    10%
  • WOZ 4 votes
    3%
  • GhostBusters 22 votes
    15%
  • Houdini 15 votes
    10%
  • The Waking Dead 30 votes
    21%
  • Black Knight Sword of Rage 12 votes
    8%
  • Twilight Zone 6 votes
    4%
  • BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA 18 votes
    12%
  • The Simpsons Pinball Part 3 votes
    2%
  • Iron Man 15 votes
    10%
  • Iron Maiden 1 vote
    1%
  • Metallica 1 vote
    1%
  • Lord Of The Rings 3 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 145 votes by 93 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

I Have a WOZ and A SW premium, thinking about adding a third pin.
I really enjoying playing both but normal, non pin head people have a bad experience when they try to play both. Too complicated and not forgiving, SW is so Brutal that new people just stop playing it after 2 or 3 games
So what are the hardest pin ever that should probably be avoided being side by side with SWpremium and WOZ ? GB is one of them for sure :-0

I would like focus on the layout, shots and drains that keep the gameplay very short and you cant progress even if the code is simple

#2 4 years ago

You forgot to include Twilight Zone

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballphotos:

Yep, true.. added

#4 4 years ago

Those listed in the poll are a joke compared to many classic pins, but if you want to talk about the DMD / LCD era exclusively, BSD has them all beat.

#5 4 years ago

the simpsons pinball party. lord of the rings. iron maiden. the walking dead. metallica. all extremely difficult titles to learn and master. TSPP has a 37 page rule set!

mjr

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Those listed in the poll are a joke compared to many classic pins, but if you want to talk about the DMD / LCD era exclusively, BSD has them all beat.

added your comment to the topic and dracula to the pool. tks

#7 4 years ago

1. Please change title to say "modern pins" so we know you are not trying to compare the last 40 titles to the 100's of interesting pins that came before them.

2. Please express what kind of "hard" you are referring to:
A. Layout (posty lower PFs that brick far too easily: BK3, BoP, TNA, Flash Gordon)
B. Shots (tight shots or hard to make shots: Houdini, Flash Gordon)
C. Rules (wtf do I do??? -- see any modern)
D. Visibility (games where you can't see all of what you are shooting/defending: JJP Pirates, Creature)
E. Flipper Gaps (ghostbusters, 80's Bally/Stern/Gottlieb games)
F. Hungry Outlanes (most EM's until 1977 or so, Barry O 80's games, SR-ball-save-left-outlanes, and many many many others)
G-Z. (many other aspects, but I thought I'd rest here.)

-mof

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballphotos:

I want to love this game so much but everytime my ball insta-drains out of the pops I want to scream.

#9 4 years ago

Played BKSOR last night and it was very brutal

#10 4 years ago

Not sure how well this poll gets to the real question... Seems to me you're asking for a good pin to purchase for your lineup, that will be more friendly to new/casual players than your current pins, but will challenge you as well.

I'd say Metallica may be one of the best choices there - easy fun bash toy for noobs, crank it up goals/item collection for deeper play. Plenty to shoot for.

Iron Maiden is another good one. I find it both more inviting and more enjoyable than my TWD for instance. Plenty deep with goals that are achievable yet challenging for many different skill levels.

Rarely do I find either of these games to be frustrating, but they also keep me coming back for more.

#11 4 years ago

The orb on GotG loves to release the ball to the magnet which then throws it down the left outline. I've tried smacking the machine to get the ball off the magnet and it works.... sometimes

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. Please change title to say "modern pins" so we know you are not trying to compare the last 40 titles to the 100's of interesting pins that came before them.
2. Please express what kind of "hard" you are referring to:
A. Layout (posty lower PFs that brick far too easily: BK3, BoP, TNA, Flash Gordon)
B. Shots (tight shots or hard to make shots: Houdini, Flash Gordon)
C. Rules (wtf do I do??? -- see any modern)
D. Visibility (games where you can't see all of what you are shooting/defending: JJP Pirates, Creature)
E. Flipper Gaps (ghostbusters, 80's Bally/Stern/Gottlieb games)
F. Hungry Outlanes (most EM's until 1977 or so, Barry O 80's games, SR-ball-save-left-outlanes, and many many many others)
G-Z. (many other aspects, but I thought I'd rest here.)
-mof

Added “modern” to the topic
Agree there many variables and brutal is subjective, I would focus on the layout, shots and drains that keep the gameplay very short and you cant progress even if the code is simple

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

I would focus on the layout, shots and drains that keep the gameplay very short and you cant progress even if the code is simple

Perfect.
Then add that level of definition to your original post to help guide how people respond.
-mof

#14 4 years ago

How is AC/DC not on this list. Outlanes are brutal. Out of pops can be as well.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

How is AC/DC not on this list. Outlanes are brutal. Out of pops can be as well.

I tried to add but seems like you can only edit pools for a small period after created

#16 4 years ago

Having owned every game except Houdini, WOZ and BKSOR, hands down IMO, Star Wars Premium is the toughest on that list.

For a game that only has two flippers the ball seems to want to go side to side often which leads to a lot of drains down the outlines. Shooting the three target bank and Death Star/ Hoth horseshoe send the balls right back at you with either tough bounce backs or a fast/dangerous return that’s always bordering on SDTM.

The timers aren’t layout, but they add to the brutality of the game and force you to shoot the three bank or try and make a difficult shot like the Hyperspace (premium) with very limited time.

Oh, the Hyperspace shot is hard as shit to hit, especially under pressure (layout)

#17 4 years ago

Thanks Toasterdog , great feedback from someone that have owned most of the brutal ones

I have a WOZ and SWpremium, played Houdini for a couple of hours this week and I can say that SWpremium is way more tough them both.... by a mile.

WOZ
- rules are more complex them both, you have to stop the ball and look at the map on the screen to understand where you are and what to do next.
- long game play, after your learn a few dos and donts it is a great one hour plus journey
- lots of multiballs, you have to master hitting shots during ball frenzy , it is where the points and the progression are. Control the balls on multiball is a lot easier them on SW
- final wizard mode is close to impossible, harder them any pin that I know off.
- an average player can still enjoy the game, you have to play better to get the points (multiballs taks, understand code) but still a fun game

SW Premium,
- Completely agree on all your points above, adding:
- most of the modes are hurry up modes. Feels like you are always in a hurry to control the ball and make a shot that if you misses, really high chances to go STDM or to the outlanes.
- Jedi multiball (final wizard) is actually easier to get them WOZ, less things to do.
- Control the balls during multiball is way more harder and if you want to keep the multiplier up... ouch.
- I dont think there is a more frustrating a disappoint game for the non pin heads.
- there are a lot of things to adjust on SW to make it play right, perfect angle, death star ramp, kick out and metal guides to avoid stupid STDM & cheap outlane drains.

Houdini
-Yes there is one tight shot to lock the balls, but it is not as hard as the death star ramp on the premium.
- right outlane entrace is tight but so is SW, actually both are on SW. Left outlane entrance on Houdini is wider.
- code is easier to follow and understand them SW and WOZ
- An average player can really enjoy , not as hard as SW and not complex code as WOZ and SW.

Las

#18 4 years ago

don’t forget TNA

mjr

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from MJR8peanut:

don’t forget TNA
mjr

Never played but from what Iheard, should be there. Cant change the pool anymore, but thanks , it should

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

Cant change the pool

You can always start a new thread, and reference this one.
mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardest-and-more-brutal-pins-?hl=mnluz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.