IMG_20200404_024105 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200404_024101 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200404_024052 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200404_024057 (resized).jpg
fa6626617a707a2429de9b5baab43e910f761d54 (resized).jpg
hb (resized).jpg
963C1FBA-A727-46B3-B633-2E655FD6C148 (resized).jpeg
2830FD5D-301A-42B1-A69F-0C882FAB8730 (resized).jpeg
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Alright, it's time for those owners out their to celebrate their love for Hardbody with an official club. Gawkers may also admire our Hardbodies. I've said it before, but it's my current pick for best "bang for your buck". It honestly might be the last machine to leave my collection, not because it's my favorite, but simply because for it's current low market value. I've added light strips to both the upper and lower playfield. The upper playfield was a bit of a trick as the light strip is actually mounted vertically with the sling to the left of the flippers.

Lower Playfield Light Strips (Matching One On the Left Side):
IMG_1884 (resized).JPGIMG_1884 (resized).JPG

Upper Playfield Light Strip:
IMG_1885 (resized).JPGIMG_1885 (resized).JPG

Backbox Full LED:
IMG_1889 (resized).JPGIMG_1889 (resized).JPG

EDIT: Seeing those pictures, I do need to swap out those GI with some frosted. No idea what I was thinking there.

#2 7 years ago

The rules to that game actually arent bad. Its a fin pin. But dear god the art design for that pin was ill conceived. And id rather claw my own eyes out than look at that backglass.

#3 7 years ago

In fact, i think the backglass is so offensive that i expect a moderator to drop in and lock this thread at any moment.

In before the lock!

#4 7 years ago

Updated the OP. I'll also add my custom freeplay cards to increase your jealousy.

Hard Body Free Play 4x6 (resized).jpgHard Body Free Play 4x6 (resized).jpgHard Body RULES 2 4x6 (resized).jpgHard Body RULES 2 4x6 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

The rules to that game actually arent bad. Its a fin pin. But dear god the art design for that pin was ill conceived. And id rather claw my own eyes out than look at that backglass.

Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

In fact, i think the backglass is so offensive that i expect a moderator to drop in and lock this thread at any moment.
In before the lock!

It's pure 80s. You have to embrace it. I'd suggest only playing it with headband, wristbands, legwarmers, and track suit.

PS: No joke, I just ordered a set of headbands and wristbands for $1.64 shipped.

#6 7 years ago

I agree that hardbody is a great "bang for your buck" Mine is set up in my garage and gets as much play as my A-games downstairs. The flex saves can really give you a fun rhythm in play. Id like to retheme mine to a forbidden planet. Ive been so busy that Ive not gotten far but I do have the translite in and even that helps. I also made an alternate translite for it some time ago and I always thought it had a lot more sex appeal than the factory.

hb v1 PST smaller (resized).jpghb v1 PST smaller (resized).jpg

FP pst 1smr (resized).jpgFP pst 1smr (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Yeah, I've kind of wanted to do a Pandemic (Board Game) retheme myself. I just don't think I'll ever get around to it though. My idea is basically that your a scientist that's trying to save the world from global epidemics. Complete the target banks to collect a culture. Collect one of each or three of a single culture to advance the cure effectiveness. The lower playfield would display this progress on an imaging chamber, that's that thing the woman is holding in the upper right hand corner of the image below. Above that would be a flask flanked by two beakers which would fill as you improve cure effectiveness.

Pandemic Backglass (resized).jpgPandemic Backglass (resized).jpg

The existing layout and rules could fit with the retheme:

CULTURES: Complete TARGET BANKS to collect CULTURE

CURE: Collect one of each or three of a single CULTURE to advance CURE effectiveness and light the RESEARCH STATION

CURE A: 20K points, 20K points, 20K points, and 40K points

CURE B: 20K points, 20K points, 20K points, and 40K points

SUPER CURE: 25K points, 25K points, 25K points, and 350K points

RESEARCH STATION: Shoot the CENTER SHOT to raise the RAMPS exposing the LOWER LOOP

ERRADICATE JACKPOT: Shoot the LOWER LOOP to collect ERRADICATE

JACKPOT worth 50K points, 100K points, 200K points, and 400K points plus

MUTATION LOOP: Make the MUTATION LOOP to advance the value of the ORANGE TARGET BANK

GOVERNMENT FUNDING: Shoot the X2 FUNDING TARGET to double playfield value

#8 7 years ago

That looks and sounds great man. Hope you can find the time.

#9 7 years ago

I'm a Hardbody fan. I might be the only one that likes looking at Rachel McLish. She was in the Pumping Iron 2 faux documentary. It's on Youtube if you want to watch it. I also like the playfield art with gridlines and pastel colors. I've had the chance to buy a few but the timing never worked out. I'm a 6803 fan so maybe someday I can put her next to my City Slicker.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Alright, it's time for those owners out their to celebrate their love for Hardbody with an official club. Gawkers may also admire our Hardbodies. I've said it before, but it's my current pick for best "bang for your buck". It honestly might be the last machine to leave my collection, not because it's my favorite, but simply because for it's current low market value. I've added light strips to both the upper and lower playfield. The upper playfield was a bit of a trick as the light strip is actually mounted vertically with the sling to the left of the flippers.
Lower Playfield Light Strips (Matching One On the Left Side):

Upper Playfield Light Strip:

Backbox Full LED:

EDIT: Seeing those pictures, I do need to swap out those GI with some frosted. No idea what I was thinking there.

Did you have any flickering with your LEDs?

#11 7 years ago

Dmbjunky i have a 6803 dungeons and dragons with leds and have no flickering. You shouldnt have an issue with your hardbody

#12 7 years ago

I've had a Hardbody for a couple of months now, and finally got it all working...well almost. Just the usual, flipper rebuilds, rubber and lights.

Couple of questions if anyone can help:

1) The upper flippers have the long shaft, but use the normal flipper bushings. The result is that the flippers are "wobbly" at the top. I can move them by hand maybe a quarter inch in all directions. This makes for an inconsistent shot, especially with the right upper flipper. I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a longer shaft bearing or something that stabilizes the shaft. I've looked for parts explosions for this assembly and can't find any, or for BMX, which I assume would be the same.

2) There is a "flap" that is used for the hinge for the ramps. The one on the left has cracks, but still works (for now). It looks like it is riveted in place. Anyone know where to get a replacement for this and how to change it out?

#13 7 years ago

@lpeters

You idea for a Pandemic conversion is awesome. That might be my favorite board game. Using the "stations" for the four diseases is a great fit and pure genius.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from DrainsAddiction:

I've had a Hardbody for a couple of months now, and finally got it all working...well almost. Just the usual, flipper rebuilds, rubber and lights.
Couple of questions if anyone can help:
1) The upper flippers have the long shaft, but use the normal flipper bushings. The result is that the flippers are "wobbly" at the top. I can move them by hand maybe a quarter inch in all directions. This makes for an inconsistent shot, especially with the right upper flipper. I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a longer shaft bearing or something that stabilizes the shaft. I've looked for parts explosions for this assembly and can't find any, or for BMX, which I assume would be the same.
2) There is a "flap" that is used for the hinge for the ramps. The one on the left has cracks, but still works (for now). It looks like it is riveted in place. Anyone know where to get a replacement for this and how to change it out?

The parts manual shows all flippers use the same 0017-00042-0413 bushing. Maybe yours are worn and need replacement?

#15 7 years ago

@lpeters
You idea for a Pandemic conversion is awesome. That might be my favorite board game. Using the "stations" for the four diseases is a great fit and pure genius.

Thank you! I think it would work very well. I'll start to get more serious about it and plan out something, but then I start thinking about everything that would be needed to complete the project and it becomes overwhelming. It's one of those things where if there were a group working on it it might make more sense, but to do it alone would be too much work.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The parts manual shows all flippers use the same 0017-00042-0413 bushing. Maybe yours are worn and need replacement?

As far as I can tell, they don't make a distinction between upper and lower at all?

You might be right, I didn't change the bushing since it's really hard to get at. Do your upper flippers feel solid, or can you move them around (like make a small circle at the base)? Maybe that's just how they are, IDK. It's the only two level pin I own. Flippers on my other single level ones can't move at all (except to flip of course).

#17 7 years ago

@lpeters

I assume you're essentially talking artwork - cabinet, playfield, plastics and backglass. I've programmed in assembler in the past, and I've been thinking about making some mods to pinball game logic in general, but that's a substantial project unless you've done it before or can get your hands on some commented code, so relabeling the existing logic as you describe makes sense.

I'm guessing everyone on this site has seen this, but just in case, here's a guy who does a nice job on customizations...

http://gameroomblog.com/guides/custom-pinball-machine

To do what I think you're talking about, he says it takes him ~100 hours over 3 months calendar time. Of course, he uses CAD in his work, so he has a head start.

Besides the time, there's the cost. If several people went in together, I bet the cost of printing the decals, backglass etc would be somewhat cheaper per person, but it could still end up easily over $500/game, but I don't have any experience with that.

Thing is for me, other than the backglass, I don't really mind the artwork. It's just that I think your idea is really good. If you're reading this and never played the Pandemic board game, you should give it a try.

Finally, I wonder if there are possible copyright problems if this was done as a group, even non-for-profit. I guess calling it something other than Pandemic might fix that? And creating your own artwork.

#18 7 years ago

I don't own a Hardbody but I'm familiar with 6803 games and own a SS, and excessive flipper shaft play is not normal. You are correct that the parts manual doesn't differentiate upper and lower flippers but it does call them "flipper assy-single switch left," "flipper assy-single switch right," "flipper assy-double switch left," and "flipper assy-double switch right." The single switch flippers are the uppers, and the double switch flippers are the lowers which can be seen on the cabinet schematic.

#19 7 years ago

I've seen that in the parts manual for Hardbody. I'm guessing that these are sort of generic parts assemblies, since my uppers aren't exactly like the ones shown for "single". They have the expected EOS, but they also have and an additional switch like a lane change switch. The contacts are smaller than an EOS, so it's not carrying high voltage, but I haven't hunted down what they do (there's no lanes in a Hardbody).

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice about changing out the bushing. Couldn't hurt. It will be a while, though since I'm going out of town for a while. I'll let you know if that helps.

#20 7 years ago

I've seen that in the parts manual for Hardbody. I'm guessing that these are sort of generic parts assemblies, since my uppers aren't exactly like the ones shown for "single". They have the expected EOS, but they also have and an additional switch like a lane change switch. The contacts are smaller than an EOS, so it's not carrying high voltage, but I haven't hunted down what they do (there's no lanes in a Hardbody).
Anyway, I think I'll take your advice about changing out the bushing. Couldn't hurt. It will be a while, though since I'm going out of town for a while. I'll let you know if that helps.

Can you take a picture of your flipper assemblies from the bottom with this extra switch?

#21 7 years ago

@lpeters
I assume you're essentially talking artwork - cabinet, playfield, plastics and backglass. I've programmed in assembler in the past, and I've been thinking about making some mods to pinball game logic in general, but that's a substantial project unless you've done it before or can get your hands on some commented code, so relabeling the existing logic as you describe makes sense.

I wouldn't be changing the rules at all, but it sure would be nice to change the sound. Something more dramatic for the background loop plus replacing the breathing, grunting, and clanking with something like, "Sample collected!" or "We've got a sample!". I'd add some radio static to give the effect that there are teams traveling around and reporting back to the Center of Disease Control (CDC). As you loop the jackpot, "The treatments seem to be working!"

In terms of the artwork, the hardest part would be getting the playfield to line up with existing inserts. My ideal art would be a map/grid, similar to the background artwork on The Cure. This map/grid pattern would cover most of the upper and lower playfields; as a subtle nod to the original grid background on Hardbody. The bottom of the lower playfield would be the CDC lab area similar to the artwork on In The Lab. This is where progress is tracked on the inserts. Around each target bank, I'd want each diseases represented by a color coded "molecule type thing"; similar to the artwork from Contagion. These could even be used on the targets themselves. Plastics would tie into the map look, but show more of a ground's eye view of the chaos: riots, road blocks, the infected, quarantines, etc. If I were using "borrowed art", I'd probably base a lot of those on Tom Clancy's The Division. When I was more serious about it, I thought about reaching out to Z-Man Games. It would be amazing to have full access to their artwork.

PS: Have you played Pandemic Legacy: Season One? If not, I'd recommend it.

pandemic 2 (resized).jpgpandemic 2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#22 7 years ago

My player mods finally arrived.

IMG_1959[1] (resized).JPGIMG_1959[1] (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

Did you put those in the wash with a new red shirt?

#24 7 years ago

Nope, they are color matched to the game.

1 month later
#25 7 years ago

Ive got a fully populated playfield and cabinet if anyone is interested. Might be willing to part it out as well.

20161121_183226 (resized).jpg20161121_183226 (resized).jpg

20161121_183145 (resized).jpg20161121_183145 (resized).jpg

20161121_183231 (resized).jpg20161121_183231 (resized).jpg

20161121_183139 (resized).jpg20161121_183139 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#26 7 years ago

Hardbody pin owner bump.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/giving-a-hardbody-a-workout-to-remove-the-fat

Almost 100% complete, will be looking to sell it in early 2017.

IMG_4356 (resized).JPGIMG_4356 (resized).JPG

#27 7 years ago

Looking for an original backglass and a flipper bat if anyone has these.

1 week later
#28 7 years ago

Ive got a backglass. Not sure how to ship them but if you are interested pm me. Some minor wear around score area from what I recall.

1 month later
#29 7 years ago

So, I currently have a non-mirrored backglass on my Hardbody. Did Bally produce a non-mirrored version?

1 year later
#30 6 years ago

Just got my Hardbody and she is pretty... Cab is in really, really great condition, and the backglass looks great too... I do have a few bits of wear on the playfield which cheeses me off... And one of the bits is the ladies arm... One plastic is slightly damaged, but all in all I'd say the condition is near mint. I will work on restoring and fixing it to 100% mint... I want to also put a custom vinyl wrap on the cabinet as I just think that the cab art is boring and stinks and really should feature more of Mclish. YEP! I WANT MORE OF HER! This was a dream theme for me and this pin is never leaving my collection. Today I start my custom rule cards, and Im currently talking to another forum member to get plastic scans so I can repair and actually create a new Ab station plastic... I mean why show a guys abs there when you can show some pretty ripped ladies abs... Seems like a wasted opportunity but maybe they deemed it TOO sexy for the 80s.
I do have a play question though... The ball when I'm playing really seems to fly around and jump and bounce all over the place. I mean really wicked leaps and jumps... Is this normal... Or do you think I need to adjust the playing surface and make it more sloped??? I have no idea about the setups and I just did it by eye... I can always break out the level... But, I was just curious as the ball bounces like a rabbit a lot. Fast and lots of jumping. But, to me that adds to the fun of the game.

#31 6 years ago

All my 6803 games have wild crazy balls. Gets the heart pumping. Love my hardbody. Can't wait to see how yours comes out.

1 week later
#32 6 years ago

Does anyone have any playfield scans. I need a good scan of the girl with the dumbbells on the upper playfield. Part of her forearm is worn due to bad flipper setup... Not from me. All previous owner. Anyway I'd like a nice high resolution image before i attempt to do the touch up...

#33 6 years ago

Hardbody (like Space Jam) is a cheap game millennials would go nuts over (if and when they ever start buying pins)

Ya'll could be sitting on a gold mine!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hardbody (like Space Jam) is a cheap game millennials would go nuts over (if and when they ever start buying pins)
Ya'll could be sitting on a gold mine!

Plus, I legit like the game. Going through the stations then tournaments is quite challenging.

PS: Still can't get into Space Jam.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Going through the stations then tournaments is quite challenging.

I had mine (after a little restoration) for several months, before it sold, and never got to the second tourney.
I would own it again!

#36 6 years ago

That's fun, or just shooting for that extra ball can be a lot of fun. I still haven't mastered those in-line drops. So while I do appreciate Hardbody for what it is in a perfect world, I'd still love to retheme mine as Pandemic. If I could figure out how to replace the sounds, it would be a project I'd more actively pursue.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That's fun, or just shooting for that extra ball can be a lot of fun. I still haven't mastered those in-line drops. So while I do appreciate Hardbody for what it is in a perfect world, I'd still love to retheme mine as Pandemic. If I could figure out how to replace the sounds, it would be a project I'd more actively pursue.

Well, I like that there are 3 main ways you can get an extra ball in this game and also depending on how you have it set up, you can get more for hitting the replays, which is how I have mine setup. I get an extra ball at like 1,200,000 and then another one at 1,800,000. But, I like that if you hit the three drop targets down that grunt and then the wall button, you get an extra ball. And I like the loop up top for the extra ball, and then I believe you can get an extra ball once the ramps go up and you complete enough loops...
And I think if you set it up a certain way there are no limits to how many extra balls you can get, so long as you get them on each ball. Still not an easy feat but a fun one.... My only gripe about Hardbody, because I LOVE THE THEME, my only gripe is it has no multiball... Man this game would really rock with multiball. And they could make it a new feature. Like the woman does heavy breathing and the weights are really clanking... Could make it fun... But, oh well...

#38 6 years ago

Hey Diospinball where did you find your game? Was it the one on the Craigslist in Detroit?

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

Hey diospinball where did you find your game? Was it the one on the Craigslist in Detroit?

No, it was from Omaha. I found it on Craigslist... But, to be honest... I'm a bit upset with the purchase. The flippers I still need to fix, and the playfield wear is just a bummer. Only 3 places, one very, very minor, one minor, and one one the upper playfield girls forearm... I think I can fix all of them... Just don't have the time right now... Also, some screws are missing in the plastics, one plastic has a minor crack, and lastly, he used screws sometimes instead of the plastic caps... Just a lazy refurbish I think... But, I got a decent price for the game, and I do LOVE the hardbody...
There is one for sale for a decent price in Arizona... 1,400... They wouldn't come down in the price for me, but that was a few months back... Might come down in price. I paid 1,200 for mine, and I think that's a fair price...
I would love to find a Raven for sale, and complete my 80s tough gals pinball collection. But, not going to pay over 1k for a Raven.

2 weeks later
#40 5 years ago

Hi, can anyone post a couple pics of the inside of the backbox?
Had to take mine apart for transport, not booting correctly now, I want to double check everything.

8 months later
#41 5 years ago

whew 8 months old... looking for alt translites if anyone knows of any

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

whew 8 months old... looking for alt translites if anyone knows of any

Ministry of Pinball. Site is down for maintenance.

DCAD041F-21E8-4A64-A2FB-69AEF8C382BB (resized).jpegDCAD041F-21E8-4A64-A2FB-69AEF8C382BB (resized).jpeg
#43 5 years ago

I would love a translate that would be in the same art style as the play field.
The ministry version is just.... too much.

#44 5 years ago

I suspect you would have to make your own backglass, if you dont want MoP's porn one LOL

#45 5 years ago

I would have also liked one in the original style. The pinup one is more tacky then the original.

#46 5 years ago

I was "this" close to offering my file. I'm missing the very middle!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#47 5 years ago

Sadly mine is currently torn down for a retheme. I really think Hardbody is the most underrated game based on the Pinside rankings.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I was "this" close to offering my file

I would be perfectly happy to just remove the pictures in the translite, keep everything else and just paste inn the drawings on the playfield.

#49 5 years ago

I did create this these when toying with a retheme idea back in 2016

BT machine mock up (resized).jpgBT machine mock up (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I did create this these when toying with a retheme idea back in 2016

Hardbody must be the most 'almost rethemed' pinball machine in the world! I have heard four or five people who were contemplating a retheme. @atari_daze, was each station supposed to be the making of a burger??

#hardbody is upstairs at Hotrods Old Vail in the Top Fuel Lounge here in Tucson. It is not getting a lot of play - the lounge is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings and for private parties. New players don't understand the 'Flex Save' feature, but once I tell them they seem to think that is is cool and, indeed, it is.

DSCF4108 (resized).JPGDSCF4108 (resized).JPG

Seeing Atari_Daze posting here got me to thinking; a dangerous activity I must note. Atari_Daze was kind enough to make some 'Station 3' plastics for me. I ordered three but got five! I want to pass his kindness on to other Hardbody owners. They look great and will be a big improvement if yours is cracked or broken.

DSCF3491 (resized).JPGDSCF3491 (resized).JPG

DSCF3492 (resized).JPGDSCF3492 (resized).JPG

DSCF3494 (resized).JPGDSCF3494 (resized).JPG

The first two Pinsiders to PM me and let me know you want one will get one. First come, first served. Please, Hardbody owners only!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardbody-club-lets-get-physical-physical/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.