• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg
Snaggergear.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I've got one last problem to hammer out on a Jurassic Park: Lost World.

The gear inside the snagger assembly has a mashed tooth. I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing the part.

p/n: 530-5481-02

I'm sure I can get it to work with the missing tooth, but I'd like to find a new gear to reduce the chances of the timing chain falling off. Does anybody have or know where I can find this little devil?

Snaggergear.jpgSnaggergear.jpg

#2 12 years ago

This guy sold two on ebay....might try him

ebay.com link: itm

#3 12 years ago

I found that guy too, still waiting to hear back from him. I was able to contact one of the people he sold to, on the off chance they didn't actually use the part.

...they did use it.

With only 1500 of these machines made, it might be difficult to find. I'm not sure Sega used them in any other machine. That snagger is a bugger to get parts for.

I also looked for the larger assembly that includes the whole topside gear unit:

p/n: 515-6717-00-53 (Snagger Center Link Assembly)

It contains the gear, along with the everything else in the center gear drive of the snagger. There's a guy in the UK that has the part listed, but I don't think he's active. Sent him an e-mail as well.

Worst case senario, I could vist a few machine shops.

#4 12 years ago

Send me his details - I might be able to find out if he's still around.

#5 12 years ago

I don't think the UK guy will pan out.

http://www.ukpinballshow.co.uk/pinparts/data.htm

He lists the snagger assembly p/n: 515-6716-00-53, but the actual portion that contains the gear I'm looking for is p/n: 515-6717-00-53 (snagger center link assembly).

That was my mistake.

#6 12 years ago

Personally if nothing else pans out I would break out the JB weld and a file.

I know a collector with his own machine shop. His ship rate would cost a fortune to make that part. He makes stuff for his games all the time and occasionally he passes on an extra to me, but there is no way I can get him to make me anything.

#7 12 years ago

If the part hunt fails:

I was thinking about drilling out the mashed down tooth and adding a small metal bolt in place. Then form it with a dremel. Kind of like a dental implant.

I'm not sure JB weld would hold well enough.

#8 12 years ago

Post on RGP. I do this for parts I can't buy, and someone always come through.

#9 12 years ago

I did post on RGP. A couple days ago, in fact. Hopefully somebody has one.

#10 12 years ago

Take it to a machine shop.

#11 12 years ago

What metal is that made out of? Steel or aluminum? If it's steel, one might be able to add some material with a welder, and then shape it appropriately... (if it's aluminum, well, that's why it broke!)

You might end up having to make another one, custom - and that looks like... not much fun to make... Start with a hunk of round aluminum stock, and turn it to the right shape on the lathe, likely (if it's got a bump-out near the center) requiring removing a lot of material, then put it into a mill in a rotary table and cut the teeth one at a time, then clean everything up, with great care.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

I don't think the UK guy will pan out.
http://www.ukpinballshow.co.uk/pinparts/data.htm
He lists the snagger assembly p/n: 515-6716-00-53, but the actual portion that contains the gear I'm looking for is p/n: 515-6717-00-53 (snagger center link assembly).
That was my mistake.

I know him - Nick has been out of the scene for a few years. I should have his phone number somewhere, I'll try to see if I can get hold of him.

#13 12 years ago

Thanks system11. I would appreciate it!

Quoted from DrAzzy:

What metal is that made out of? Steel or aluminum?

Aluminum, it appears. It would be soft to drill...

1 month later
#14 12 years ago

What a feat to track this part down!

Special thanks go to Terry over at Pinball Life. He's the one vendor I contacted (and I contacted them all...trust me), that actually went the extra mile and sourced the part I needed.

Also, thanks to the gentleman over in the Netherlands that contacted me from the thread over on RGP. He provided me a small goodie box of parts (including a used gear) as well.

What an over engineered pain in the ass to work on. I can't believe they need two belts to make this thing work. Got it done, and aligned.

Now it's time for a shop job! I can't believe how many months it took to find the #$@$*% gear.

#15 12 years ago

I'm glad you found the part and I'm glad you posted the outcome! I wish others would do the same. I've been following your thread . . .
Mike

#16 12 years ago

Moved to the Technical Help Sub Forum. Pinside Talk is for issues with the forum itself.

#17 12 years ago

And so....she's done. Tip to tails:

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8876/36567128.jpg

The flame polish job turned out great!!!

7 months later
#18 11 years ago

oh man. I may need one for mine some day, but sounds like it sucked!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 18.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hard-to-find-sega-part and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.