Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hello, I'm having a heck of a time burning CPU roms for both my LOTR and Monopoly. I'm using a 27c040. Using the burner I verify the image - check.

When I install all I get is all the feature lights flashing over and over.

Both LOTR and Monopoly using different chips, no luck, and the same result.

Oddly when I burn the display rom, its FINE.

#2 2 years ago

Another odd thing, when I burn the MONDSP-I.301 rom (display), it's italian. But there isn't a north american one I can see on the stern site.

#3 2 years ago

Are you installing the rom oriented correctly?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 2 years ago

DISPLAY ROM may be a 27C040 but I believe the CPU Eprom should be a 1M 27C010. Are you putting 4 copies of the binary in the 4M Eprom?

#5 2 years ago

Yes, The CPU will not work with the 4 meg chip, only 1 meg chip. There is a way to write the data to the 4meg chip, I just dont know how to do it.

The manual is wrong and list the wrong size.

#6 2 years ago

you also can check ipdb for rom images

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Yes, The CPU will not work with the 4 meg chip, only 1 meg chip. There is a way to write the data to the 4meg chip, I just dont know how to do it.
The manual is wrong and list the wrong size.

Ak! Really?!?! Alright can I just designate the 27c040 as a 27c010 when I burn the rom?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Alright can I just designate the 27c040 as a 27c010 when I burn the rom?

Nope.
You'll need to double-double the ROM image so that it ends up being 4Mb in size.
In DOS, copy /b image.1M+image.1M+image.1M+image.1M image.4M
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#9 2 years ago

If DOS isn't your cup of tea, another way to do it is in your EPROM programmer software. You just have to know where the four 1 meg boundaries are within the 4Meg EPROM.
00000-1FFFF (First Meg)
20000-3FFFF (Second Meg)
40000-5FFFF (Third Meg)
60000-7FFFF (Fourth Meg)

So, when you go to load the binary file, you have to do two things.

For the first file load, no changes are necessary.

For the second, you need to change the buffer load offset AND stop the programmer software from clearing the buffer (writing FFs over the first 1 Meg). When you select to load the file, there should be choices something to the effect of:

Buffer Address (or Buffer Offset - NOT File address or file offset) [00000]
And a Check Box option for Buffer Clear on Data Load, or Clear Buffer on Load.

For the Second loading, Change the Buffer Address to 20000, and Uncheck the Clear Buffer box.

Repeat for 40000 and again for 60000 always making sure the clear buffer check box is still unchecked.

Keep in mind, that regardless of your method, the Checksum the programmer reports will not match any recorded checksums for the single 1MEG file.

#10 2 years ago

WOW, you guys are amazing, thank you for all the help!!!!!

I finally got it sorted out - I found a 27c010 and it worked!

#11 2 years ago

I use batch files to combine, double up, or quad up roms. Open up note pad. Put the copy /b cmd prompt line in there. Save it as a .bat file then run it with windows. I have some standard batch files I use for say Bally games. Just have the label the file names right and put them in the directory with the batch file.

Untitled (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Stone Mountain, GA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside