Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Zdoor
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

57445-1101-2-2ww-m.jpg
    mylar.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I've read posts about people using "Hard as Nails" nail polish to protect the shooter lane and scoop edges (when cliffys are not available). So I picked some up. Is this the right stuff? How much to apply? A light coat I would assume. In the shooter lane, just spread some on the area where the ball kicks out? Is it removable? This will be going on an acdc premium, so I'm a little nervous to use it. I have the cliffy for the shooter lane and the protector on the other side, do I still need to use it there?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I use that stuff a lot in fly tying. It seems pretty messy to put on a playfield, especially if you already have a protector.

#3 11 years ago

Just get some Mylar.

Cheaper, safer, reversible.

Give that stuff to your wife....

#4 11 years ago

Does anyone have a photo of what a shooter lane looks like with mylar on it? I may be dense, but I'm a bit confused about where it goes and how to apply it. Do spread it across the entire shooter lane, or only use it to cover up the painted lines?

#5 11 years ago

How do you get the Mylar off when you want to remove it? Also, do you apply it to the painted lines, or avoid those?

#6 11 years ago

You put the Mylar over the wood where the ball rolls from eject solenoid and then through the trough.

Yes, protect painted lines with Mylar.

You remove Mylar just by lifting an edge when it's new, or with canned air if it's decades old.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You put the Mylar over the wood where the ball rolls from eject solenoid and then through the trough.

"through the trough"? Do you mean through the shooter lane?

#8 11 years ago

I've tinted this piece of slingshot Mylar green so it is easier to see.

mylar.jpgmylar.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Thanks, vid! Now I understand exactly what you are talking about. How do you go about cutting the hole for the switch?

#10 11 years ago

Xacto blade.

Clean area. Press Mylar down, switch will depress. Trim along hole with blade. Switch will pop back up.

#11 11 years ago

x

57445-1101-2-2ww-m.jpg57445-1101-2-2ww-m.jpg

#12 11 years ago

Get Cliffy's Stern shooter lane protector and put in a custom cut piece of light adhesive thin clear vinyl or Frisket film gloss and your good to go. Very easy to remove and reapply as needed without the crazy residue of old mylar stuff. I cut out a piece and had it running a decent ways up the lane before even putting a game on X-Men. Works like a charm.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Get Cliffy's shooter lane protector and put in a custom cut piece of light adhesive thin clear vinyl or Frisket film gloss and your good to go. Very easy to remove and reapply as needed without the crazy residue of old mylar stuff. I cut out a piece and had it running a decent ways up the lane before even putting a game on X-Men. Works like a charm.

Where can you buy the light adhesive thin clear vinyl or Frisket film gloss? Any difference between the two?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've tinted this piece of slingshot Mylar green so it is easier to see.

Looks like crap.

You guys are funny.
    Hard as nails over kick out hole edge areas if using a mantis only. If using a cliffy, none is needed. Fake mylar (self ahesive laminating sheets found at office stores) to be used in shooter lanes. It is perfect for protecting flat pf surfaces like ball drop areas and the such. Can be used over magnet cores also but eventually will need replacing.
    I would take a pic of my shooter lane with the fake mylar on but it looks like it was just clearcoated.

#15 11 years ago

I use contact paper in the shooter lane and it works great. I use hard as nails in scoop hole edges (not on playfield surface) and it does not show. Still use cliffys where available also. Figure better safe than sorry...

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Where can you buy the light adhesive thin clear vinyl or Frisket film gloss? Any difference between the two?

No not much difference both can be pretty thin at about 2mm same type of material really. Here is the closest material I've been able to find to the stealth protectors Pinball Pal used to sell (thanks to mrsanramon).
    http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-600-Frisket/dp/B000BPQI0U/ref=sr_1_sc_3

Quoted from Zdoor:

I use hard as nails in scoop hole edges (not on playfield surface) and it does not show.

That's the only area I apply that stuff to as well.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Purchased a roll of clear contact paper at Michaels for 8 or 9 bucks. Should be able to find it at a hardware store also...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hard-as-nails-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.