(Topic ID: 129590)

Harbor Freights 5 Lb. Metal Vibratory Tumbler Bowl

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9049.jpg
    T236-2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

"Harbor Freights 5 Lb. Metal Vibratory Tumbler Bowl"

Is this a good dry tumbler for $52.99? It can tumble objects up to 7 3/4" in diameter and I could pick it up at the local store.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

yes. But buy medium online. Walnut shells, etc.

Harbor Freight doesn't seem to have walnut tumbling media online. Where is the best resource to order walnut shells medium online and if possible pick it up at a local store instead of shipping? Maybe the local gun shop would have it?

#6 8 years ago

I was looking at that and wondering if it was suitable for tumbling.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Lizard bedding at pet stores.

Quoted from jadziedzic:

The cheapest option for crushed walnut tumbling material is a local pet store

Like the one Petco has here?

http://www.petco.com/product/102881/Zilla-Ground-English-Walnut-Shells-Reptile-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

#9 8 years ago

Thanks vid! I ordered it and I've also been reading your playfield restoration posts which are great. (I thought I posted this yesterday but I must have clicked Preview and forgot to click Send post)

2 weeks later
    #10 8 years ago

Got the tumbler and media. Do you fill it outside then use it inside after tightening the wing lock nut then bring it outside to open?

It says to wait an hour after power off to open it because of dust.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I would never open it indoors, all that dust is toxic metals.
    It's ok to fill it the first time indoors as long as none of your visitors to the house are allergic to nuts.

How do you know when they're "done"? The manual says 1, 2, 4 or so hours, not 24 hours and says to wait an hour to open it after power off.

Quoted from Phlash:

Just a fyi, don't put too many parts in at once, I had some brackets in that eventually interlocked with each other, this didn't cause harm to the parts, but the sharp edge of one wore right thru the side of the bowl.

This is good to know. Also I was thinking of running this one inside because the outside storage room doesn't have the three prong grounded outlet.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if you're not seeing [any] progress, then it's possible that your media is contaminated (parts should be cleaned by hand or in an ultrasonic before dropped in the tumbler to be polished). using the tumbler to "clean" the parts will contaminate your media quickly depending on the filth level on the parts.

Ahh this is good to know too. Thanks!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

1. Add a spoon of metal polish like this one, Wizards 11020 Metal Renew Liquid Polish - 8 oz, makes all the difference
    2. Put an extra locking nut on top - my wing nut worked its way loose and I had a nice film of walnut shell all over my work area!

Good suggestions. Will look for and order the liquid polish and also get a second locking nut just to be sure.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It just depends on the harness of the metal, and how bad the finish was when you started.
    Brass is fast, Stainless med, and hard steel usually the slowest.
    Clean all the parts first, so you don't get your media filled with wax, grease and dirt.
    Parts that have much corrosion on them should first get run with the pyramid media

T236-2.jpg

Parts with deep pitting might need manual work before going in the tumbler.
    Don't wait an hour, just open it up outside, and make sure the dust does not go into your garden.

Thanks, your advice is always appreciated, vid.

Questions questions. Do you save the used media when you use a different media (pyramid for example) or dump it? Clean out the bowl before putting in new media?

Also the manual says not to use an adapter for the three prong outlet and the storage room outlet is two prongs. That's why I was thinking about using the three prong outlet indoors then opening it outside.

I'm going to start with the leg bolts and go from there.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can probably polish the head of leg bolts quicker by chucking them into a cordless drill and then putting metal polish on a rag or Scotchbright.
    Don't bother polishing common little nuts/bolts/screws.
    Cheaper to just buy new ones from boltdepot.com

Great advice, thanks again vid.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm on my 3rd HF 5 lb. tumbler.

Doesn't sound good. Now I'm not so sure about this one I just got. It would be different if I had a big outside shed with plenty of ventilation to use it in but I don't. Maybe I'll wait until someday when I move and get a different house with shed.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just run the extension cord outside the door and run it outside.

That's a good idea. I'll do that.

If you're not using it for leg bolts or bolts/screws. What pinball parts do you tumble?

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Corroded brackets (like flippers, slingshot and pop), metal posts, wire rollover switches, wire gates, ramp entrances, Ring Rods (balls really fly from polished rings)......

That gives me an idea of what I can use the tumbler for. Thanks again!

1 week later
    #36 8 years ago

Stupid question but don't think I've seen the answer in this Pinside forum.

Do you tumble the balls? Also ball shooter parts? Coin chutes? I'm thinking of what I can polish with the tumbler and it'll fit up to 7 3/4 inch items.

#38 8 years ago

Three of the five new balls I got from PBR are "sticky". I'll try cleaning them with ZEP degreaser then polish them with wax unless you have a better suggestion?

Thanks again vid. Your advice is always appreciated.

3 months later
    #40 8 years ago

I am ready to start tumbling and was wondering about the metal pieces you tumble together. Is there a chance of sharp edges on some pieces like screws scratching up other metal pieces?

I've also thought about putting the tumbler in a closed cardboard box with the cord running out a hole just to be sure the tumbler doesn't open up with the tumble media spilling out. Good idea or not?

Bruce

2 years later
    #46 6 years ago

Question about using a tumbler in an unheated shed or garage when it's cold. How cold is too cold to use it?

Bruce

#48 6 years ago

Ok I'll use that as a guide for tumbling.

Thanks,
    Bruce

5 months later
    #50 6 years ago

I read the manual for this tumbler but it doesn't say. Is it OK to turn off the tumbler then turn it on again repeatedly?

For example run the tumbler a couple of hours then turn it off when I go somewhere then turn it on again, off and on for a TOTAL of about 24 hours on?

It says to wait about an hour after turning it off to let the dust settle before opening the lid.

#52 6 years ago

Got it. I'll do just that. Thanks.

#54 6 years ago

Yes, I plan to do that. I'm thinking it would be better to be around while it's running then turn it off if I go somewhere.

How about galvanized metals. Is it ok to tumble them or will that remove the protective coating? Would it be better to use a sonic cleaner?

#57 6 years ago

In my case these are dirty metal parts which aren't corroded that are galvanized with the protective coating. I don't want to remove that coating.

I read online that the best way to clean galvanized metals is to wash them with soap and water and use a sponge with the scrubber to clean them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harbor-freights-5-lb-metal-vibratory-tumbler-bowl?tu=PinballFever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.