Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    IMG_20160416_184420_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_4433_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4363_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4431_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    f8587816e162451ef9c74e9919b5ec8ab2a524be_(resized).jpg
    1c7fdfbda0b36a6bf9513d0a069f3cf78d54fcd2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello,

Any of you have experience with the Harbor Freight hydraulic 500lb cart? I would like to purchase it since I now have 3 machines and planning to buy more. My question is: Is it safe to lift a heavy machine from the underside of the pin? Will the playwood underneath hold?

I am planning to change the legs on my Diner. Its a very old machine and I just have concerns about putting all the weight and pressure of the pin on the underside plywood. Not sure if it will hold and I really really don't want to damage the machine. Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've only had a problem one time when the bottom was already falling out of a game. Other than that, I haven't had an issue.
    I've also seen folks use two 2x4's, and even make a wooden adapter so that the adapter fits on the lift and the pin sits on the side walls of the cabinet, rather than the plywood on the bottom.

Thanks sooo much!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

I have moved many games for shows and at my home. At home I use the 500 pound cart, I have a small rug on top of the cart to help prevent any chance of scratching but I have never had any issue with the plywood giving out and I have moved games from front yard to back yard. If the games cabinet is in decent shape I see no problem with using the cart.

That is great to hear! Thank you very much for that info!

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

theres a ton of surface area on that platform for weight distribution. have yet to have an issue and I take my games for a walk every day...

Thanks!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuS:

I use one all the time, without issue. If you're worried about the strength of the plywood, certain things (like changing legs) can be done by entering from the side of the pin, and letting the sides of the cabinet support the load, rather than the bottom of the cabinet.

Any chance the pin is less stable or unbalanced by entering from the sides?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table. It seems to be one of the most popular solution to move pinballs around. I have one myself and love it - until it started acting out and taking forever to go down. I still use it but need to figure out a way to fine tune it.

Cool idea!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I usually use a large flattened moving box. I get them at home depot.

I never lift the pin perpendicular to the cart. However, I imagine it would be fine as long as it's balanced and you don't try to move the pin/cart around too much. But, that method wouldn't be my first choice for lifting up a pin.

What is a moving box?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Of course there is. I would never do that.

Yeah, I kind of figured....and I have no one to help me balance it so....

#17 8 years ago

Please tell me if this would be OK: Cut a couple of 2x4 or 2x6's, lay them across the cart and pick up the machine and having the 2x6's lift the pin from the sides?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-18-in-x-18-in-x-24-in-65-lb-Large-Box-1001006/202029359

Honestly, I haven't found the 2x4's to be necessary unless the bottom of the game is already compromised in some way.

Sorry about the moving box question. I didnt know what you used it for. But now I do. Great idea. Thanks!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Ive used mine for years with no problems and it really enables me to set up and take down pins by myself fairly easy. Love it

You use it from the sides too?

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

I move my pins around all the time with my lift from the sides. No problems at all.

You do it by yourself? Do you ever have to deal with an unbalanced pin when lifting from the sides? You lift straight in the center?

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I slide the cart under the game and lift it up a couple inches. If it's too woobly, it hasn't hit the balance point, so I lower the cart and re-position as needed. Usually, the cart has to go a little past the middle of the cabinet towards the rear since the back end is heavier than the front.
    If I'm dragging the game out of my vehicle, the cardboard helps eliminate friction and helps bridge the small gap between the cart and the vehicle.
    f8587816e162451ef9c74e9919b5ec8ab2a524be_(resized).jpg
    1c7fdfbda0b36a6bf9513d0a069f3cf78d54fcd2_(resized).jpg

Wow thanks for those pictures! That really helps a lot. I have more confidence now and will buy it today and finally change the old lega on my Diner. Was putting the project on hold but this cart will make life a whole lot easier! Thanks!

#27 8 years ago

Meant to say legs sorry

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

I have an older Harbor Freight lift table that has a knob that you turn to lower it. Originally there were some U joints and the knob was mounted to the handle. I took the handle off and threw it in the scrap pile. I attached the knob to the shaft near where the handle was mounted. You don't need the handle. Use the lockdown bar to push and steer. You would just need to figure out a way to mount the motorcycle clutch lever style release to the base somehow so it can't get bumped and drop the table. As mentioned above, put a motorcycle ratchet strap diagonally over the top. Don't crank it down so tight that you bend the side rails. Because the whole thing is very top heavy, be careful on uneven ground that you don't flop it over. I have used mine for moving all kinds of stuff, including a 4 player air hockey table up a ramp into a van box. (Like a Uhaul truck)

Wow thanks starwriter! As always, you are very helpful. Appreciate it!

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind that the handle will need to be modified in order for it to fit under a pin. lb1 linked to the thread with different ideas.
    I haven't strapped down my pins when moving them on the cart, but it seems like a good idea.

I thought about cutting the handle down but I also need this cart to move stuff around the house and cutting the handle is not a good idea I guess. My plan is to just lay the handle on the ground while I change the legs. If I ever have to move a pin then I will have to figure it out or just cut the handle down a bit. Thanks!

#35 8 years ago

All very valid points! Will definately try the flag pole method. For now I will just lay the handle on the ground.

Just to make absolutely sure: What would classify an underside/belly of a pin to be "compromised"? I mean this Diner machine is very old but I sort of gave the underside a few whacks with my hand and it feels sturdy. But have no idea how it will behave once I put all that weight on it. I imagine it will hold just fine. Will lift little by little and make sure I don't hear any cracks on the wood. If I do I will set it back down immediately.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

The way the bottom is mortised into the cabinet, for it to fail in the upward direction, the cabinet corners would have to split apart a long ways. The cabinet would have to be really rickedy for that to happen. If the cabinet corners are solid and the vertical board behind the coinbox is intact, I wouldn't worry about it.

Perfect! Thank you very much starwriter.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Basically, if the bottom panel is rotten, if the bottom is falling out, or the cabinet is coming apart.
    I've only picked up one game so far where the bottom panel was significantly compromised in some way--either because of dampness or direct water damage.

Thank you very much! Feel much better now. She will hold!

#41 8 years ago

Will post pics of my Diner before and after with new black legs and red leg protectors.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The only issue I had is my wheels got flat spots in them, I ASSume from sitting around for awhile without being used. Nothing heavy was stored on top of it during this time; which is very confusing. No one else has had this problem so probably nothing to worry aboot.

Wow that is very confusing.

#46 8 years ago

Well it was a success! The cart is great and the pin held out great! Thank you all for your input. Here is a pic of the difference between black leg and chrome leg. It looks so much bettee with black. The cart works great! Thanks!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#47 8 years ago

Btw, left the handle on the ground and even moved the pin and I had no issues. Thanks!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

Here is what I did/made up, it supports all of the weight evenly, ends and middle, and is pretty stable...

IMG_4431_(resized).jpg

Nice! Are they screwed onto the cart?

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

Yes, this is what I did....quick and easy..

IMG_4363_(resized).jpgIMG_4433_(resized).jpg

Cool! Thanks!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I can say I moved many, many pins with mine and never had a problem.

Good to know!

#55 8 years ago

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Welcome to the Diner-on-a-Cart club.
    Just took delivery of this one on Tuesday. The left front leg must have been hit in transport, HF cart to the rescue.
    Never had a problem using my cart without platform mods. I've moved the heaviest of wide body pins like Black Hole and STTNG ... no issues.
    image_(resized).jpeg

Hi! Thank! Are you familiar with Diner? I'm having a little issue and maybe you can help me here? Not an expert so bear with me please. The diner right ramp entrance switch does not recognize the ball nor does it registers anything. I have tested the switch with the dmm continuity test placing the leads on the screws od the switch and it beeps. Close the switch with my finger and it keeps beeping. Doesn't look like it has a diode. Tested other switches with diodes and they beep but stop beeping when you close the switch manually. Not really sure if I'm doind this correctly. Have you ever had this issue before? Any help or advise will be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

#58 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#59 8 years ago

I was LEDing the backbox and turning the pin on and off to change the non working led's with diffferent led's because some leds would not work. Maybe that blew something? Thanks

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You may want to start a separate thread in one of the technical forums for troubleshooting issues with your game.

Yes sir, already did. Thanks!

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Did something similar with mine.

IMG_20160416_184420_(resized).jpg

That looks nice!!

1 month later
    #66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Just bought the 500 lb model at harbor Freight. Mother's Day sale had a coupon for 25% off. Paid $127.49 plus a little to the "Govna". Now to assembly and mods.
    Great thread guys!

Wow that is a great deal!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harbor-freight-hydraulic-cart-question?tu=kornfreak28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.