Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 236 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20230412_065834 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-12-09-18-13-737-edit_com.facebook.katana (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-165257_Messenger (resized).jpg
    20211106_153310 (resized).jpg
    29BA5666-168B-49C9-8076-9942B77226BE (resized).jpeg
    E13E173E-D0B3-4285-AF7C-C6714B9969D0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 236 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 1 year ago

I posted this there, but I'm always confused by the people who bring home a pinball machine without their wife at least knowing their intentions.

I'm at the point of my life where the cost of a new stern is swingable, but only as a fairly major purchase. We also live in the heart of a big city, which means space is at a premium. We only have the room in our home for one pin comfortably (maybe two uncomfortably). Our current pinball machine takes up a fair bit of our living room.

We do have separate accounts for personal expenses, and we're not checking each other, but when we hit that high of amount of money, not to mention the space issue, we're talking about it. My wife knew I was out shopping for a pinball machine, just like she knew when I was out shopping for a nice Hawaiian made ukulele (another obsession of mine). The idea of keep it a secret never crossed my mind, nor just doing it and living with the consequences.

She has asked me to not make a purchase, usually because we have some expenses coming down the line that weren't taken into account, but I've done the same with her for her own really expensive purchases. It's not her "telling me no", but a part of the discussion and open communication I think spouses need to have with each other.

But maybe this is different for people who are better off financially than we are or have more available space, like a game room available.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That’s probably the difference. I know a few married couples that manage their family finances this way, and that’s actually my goal once I’m retired. I think it works well when you both work. But when you’re the sole earner, it’s paradoxically harder to spend what you earn on whatever you want to.

If you do that, you're just roommates and not a single household. That is where part of the trouble lies.

Marriage isn't hard to figure out - you just need to find someone who gives and takes as you do, and respects themselves in the same way as you respect yourself and vice versa. Once you get that down - it's cake.

Some people should never marry nor live with anyone other than a cat.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

I posted this there, but I'm always confused by the people who bring home a pinball machine without their wife at least knowing their intentions.
    I'm at the point of my life where the cost of a new stern is swingable, but only as a fairly major purchase. We also live in the heart of a big city, which means space is at a premium. We only have the room in our home for one pin comfortably (maybe two uncomfortably). Our current pinball machine takes up a fair bit of our living room.
    We do have separate accounts for personal expenses, and we're not checking each other, but when we hit that high of amount of money, not to mention the space issue, we're talking about it. My wife knew I was out shopping for a pinball machine, just like she knew when I was out shopping for a nice Hawaiian made ukulele (another obsession of mine). The idea of keep it a secret never crossed my mind, nor just doing it and living with the consequences.
    She has asked me to not make a purchase, usually because we have some expenses coming down the line that weren't taken into account, but I've done the same with her for her own really expensive purchases. It's not her "telling me no", but a part of the discussion and open communication I think spouses need to have with each other.

Exactly,I joke around in this thread just for fun but this is How it should be if possible.

#104 1 year ago

I believe the original post was intended to bring awareness to the fact that there is a hypocritical sentiment in our society that the feelings of men don't matter. While some people are striving for equality, many are blind to the fact that men can also be mistreated and abused in various ways and they then have to hear things like "happy wife, happy life".

#105 1 year ago

Divorce - the fu{%ing you get for the fu.,!ng you got!

#106 1 year ago

I always get a family consensus when the family gets a new game. I especially want my wife happy with it since we are not talking about buying an old solid state pin. Been with my wife for 33 years and it’s not just about me, but us. Happy and would never change it.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Artax:

I believe the original post was intended to bring awareness to the fact that there is a hypocritical sentiment in our society that the feelings of men don't matter. While some people are striving for equality, many are blind to the fact that men can also be mistreated and abused in various ways and they then have to hear things like "happy wife, happy life".

This can certainly be the case,Just dont say let me ask my Wife when Buying a pin
    No two relationships will be the same so anything can be Happening.

#108 1 year ago

We cant take all sayings too literally or as a blanket that covers all.We have all probably seen examples of Marriages that are Happy and then some doomed to fail.I have friends who think their Wife is a Servant and I have Friends Whos wives Crack that whip.No one Shoe fits all.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

pre-nup agreement

These can be easily thrown out by any judge for little to no reason. Chapters in books have been written on this matter.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Artax:

Boom. You 100% nailed it.

#112 1 year ago

We’ve worked something out for retirement where there will be 3 accounts: mine, hers and the “house” account. Most of our retirement income will go to the house account, and we’ll split what’s left over. We had a good discussion about what should come out of the house account. She thought that car maintenance and insurance should come out of that account. I thought that was unbalanced because she has 2 cars, and I have one. Her concession to me was that my 10x10 storage unit can come out of the house account too.

The thing that will probably lead to us getting divorced is that she’s dead set against me starting up any kind of business with my games, because she’s convinced that it’s a money-loser. I guess we’ll either cross or burn that bridge when we come to it. I need to work 3 more years to retire.

#113 1 year ago

I think the premises is flawed. Marriage is about a partnership. It’s not one side
    Vs the other but how you work together to support each other. If both people are on same team and want each other happy they support them in their recreational pursuits. My wife likes pinball but not as much as I do. She supports my hobby and I support her interests in the garden club and playing tennis. I guess it’s how you look at your relationship and allow your love one to pursue their interests outside of your day to day responsibilities.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You can think whatever you want about Dave Ramsey and his financial advice, but this is so spot on.
    Imagine having this argument with split finances over who pays the baby's hospital bill... YOU should pay the hospital bill because YOU are the one who couldn't hold out a few more hours and asked for the Epidural.
    RIP

Good point. My wife and I have separate accounts but when it comes to anything we need to spend money on we either split it or trade off, the key is communication and being understanding. Also having shared health insurance is a huge plus.

#115 1 year ago

Happy Wife Happy Life Works for Awhile, But Once You're Divorced You Can Finally Return You're Balls To Your Sack !! What A feeling !!

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

That is interesting the real receipt and the "wife receipt," the problem is the first thing mine did when I was thinking about the first pin was google it and ask why they cost so much?

Did you say the same reason divorce cost so much. "It's worth it"

#117 1 year ago

Never again will I marry.

I am so much more happy without having to deal with some pain in the ass on a constant basis in exchange for sub-par sex.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I am so much more happy without having to deal with some pain in the ass on a constant basis in exchange for sub-par sex.

29BA5666-168B-49C9-8076-9942B77226BE (resized).jpeg29BA5666-168B-49C9-8076-9942B77226BE (resized).jpeg
    #119 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I dumped my girlfriend a month ago….she’s still into having sex.

#120 1 year ago

37 years, got married very young and our finances have always been our finances, we learned to adult as a team. Wife does the accounting, always has. I like it that way. We discuss new pin purchases, we discuss all major purchases. Don't think I have ever been "denied", probably some times I should have.
    Don't see ever getting divorced, got a good deal going and I would never be able to "grow up together" with anyone else if I did. That is once in a lifetime.

#121 1 year ago

Happy wife, happy life… for all matters except pinball!

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

37 years, got married very young and our finances have always been our finances, we learned to adult as a team. Wife does the accounting, always has. I like it that way. We discuss new pin purchases, we discuss all major purchases. Don't think I have ever been "denied", probably some times I should have.
    Don't see ever getting divorced, got a good deal going and I would never be able to "grow up together" with anyone else if I did. That is once in a lifetime.

She must be looking over your'e shoulder as you write this........kidding glad it's working out, and by the way none of us ever think wer'e getting divorced....

#123 1 year ago

Got married at 21, I'm almost 37, I haven't done one load of laundry or dishes in 16 years.

Suck it losers!

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

We’ve worked something out for retirement where there will be 3 accounts: mine, hers and the “house” account. Most of our retirement income will go to the house account, and we’ll split what’s left over. We had a good discussion about what should come out of the house account. She thought that car maintenance and insurance should come out of that account. I thought that was unbalanced because she has 2 cars, and I have one. Her concession to me was that my 10x10 storage unit can come out of the house account too.
    The thing that will probably lead to us getting divorced is that she’s dead set against me starting up any kind of business with my games, because she’s convinced that it’s a money-loser. I guess we’ll either cross or burn that bridge when we come to it. I need to work 3 more years to retire.

Just buy more cars. Simple

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I dumped my girlfriend a month ago….she’s still into having sex.

She's trying to really hook you in with a baby, baby.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Got married at 21, I'm almost 37, I haven't done one load of laundry or dishes in 16 years.
    Suck it losers!

Nice!

#128 1 year ago

My ex girlfriend who lived with me said I have too many pinball machines.

I told her she had too many shoes.

#129 1 year ago

We enable each other. 20 pins later ... still going.

20211106_153310 (resized).jpg20211106_153310 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221019-165257_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221019-165257_Messenger (resized).jpg
    #130 1 year ago

What a great thread. I have acquired 4 pins over the last 10 years. My wife never said a thing and even let me keep one in the living room. Had a get together about a month ago and someone evidently told my wife " you know how expensive these things are?! We had our first argument over the pin in the living room last week. That's the newest one, and the one I paid the most for, but I am holding my ground!

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wake2wood:

What a great thread. I have acquired 4 pins over the last 10 years. My wife never said a thing and even let me keep one in the living room. Had a get together about a month ago and someone evidently told my wife " you know how expensive these things are?! We had our first argument over the pin in the living room last week. That's the newest one, and the one I paid the most for, but I am holding my ground!

Who told her?
    Never invite them back.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wake2wood:

My ex live in girlfriend, one of her friends told her that I have a pinball machine worth 31k. I told her if it was worth that, it wouldn’t be in the basement, but rather sold. So she tells me I should sell some cause she wants a pool.

The beauty of not being married….just kick them out the door.

Remember men: never chase, always replace.

#133 1 year ago

Getting married may be the worst that could happen.

#134 1 year ago

First. The way I learned that you are "supposed" to run things by the wife was when I came home with a brand new Yamaha dirt bike for our 2 year old. She was like "What the...?!?" I was like "Hey, woah, it HAS training wheels." Anyway, the bike stayed, and our son still has the scar to prove it :-)P. Just as I did when my parents had me riding horses on our cattle farm, literally, before I could walk. It's how we learn. I'm a great horseman, son is an accomplished off roader because we started young. That can usually be said for every accomplished athlete, race car driver, bowler, bull rider, etc.

On a side note, my first pins were bought two years ago as we were planning a new house. Ended up buying two. Perfect. And currently in my large, awesome new gameroom. As I was trying to decide which pin to purchase? She liked Aerosmith, I liked Ghostbusters. Bought em both. She was like, hey, it's your money. We enjoy them both, but for whatever reason, play AS a lot more. Sold GB premium a couple weeks ago to make room for something new. Cactus Canyon RSE (ordered), or Scooby, if we can find one?

End story, on big purchases, it's always my decision, with her input, knowing that I want her to be onboard with whatever I am involved in. Whether it's muscle cars, drag racing, dirt bikes, ATV's, horses, my Republic of Texas collection, etc. The only thing we seem to do completely separate is online gaming. Works for us.

Basically, every couple, married or not is different and has to find what works for them. That is the key, and it ain't easy. Good luck my pinsider friends.

#135 1 year ago

Each time she fights / argues I just buy another pinball machine . Take that!

#136 1 year ago

With my ex, the games were already here when we met so she knew what she was getting into. The games were never a problem.

The problem was that I made 10x her salary, owned the house and she had zero assets. No matter what I did I couldn’t get her interested in the financial side of things, so I had to handle all of that.

Then, when things broke down suddenly she was very very interested in the finances. She expected to get half of everything. She didn’t but it took 3 years of legal battles and many thousands of dollars to resolve it.

Those of you who think it’s totally fair to just give half your shit to a person because you get married are crazy. It’s so ridiculously imbalanced as to be comical. Maybe you’re in a situation where you’re both at about the same level so joint accounts make sense but it’s not the same for everyone.

If I ever live with someone again there will be a cohabitation agreement signed by lawyers.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Suck it losers!

Enjoy while you can, or change. She will not put up with that arrangement for ever.
    You might think she is OK with it becasue it flys now but give it enough time and you will have to start dating again

#138 1 year ago

Happiness is overrated. Contentedness is where it’s at.

#139 1 year ago

My income, my money, my own accounts. Her income, her money, her own accounts. We both put what we need into a joint account for mortgage, utilities, food, medical etc. It works great, we split all that stuff 50/50, there’s no bickering, no feeling like one of us contributes more financially than the other. We both grow independently and collectively this way.

She often challenges and encourages me by telling me there’s no more room for another pin. And when she does, I always find a way to make more room.

Quoted from jwilson:

Those of you who think it’s totally fair to just give half your shit to a person because you get married are crazy.

Definitely agree with this, always have, always will.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

She's trying to really hook you in with a baby, baby.

I'm just like every animal I've ever owned......fixed.

I'm too old for kids (soon to be 45).

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

Enjoy while you can, or change. She will not put up with that arrangement for ever.
    You might think she is OK with it becasue it flys now but give it enough time and you will have to start dating again

LMAO I am almost at 40 years, when will she stop. I did start to help cook since I enjoy it.

Hopefully this link works.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoZm1SEAej_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

#142 1 year ago

I would like to meet the person who made up that whopper. Probably in an institute somewhere.

#143 1 year ago

30 years for us in July. Not labeling things “hers”/“mine”, trying to be more ‘giving’ than ‘receiving’, and not worrying more about what shes doing (or not doing) than what I’m doing…seems to have worked pretty well for us. Who woulda guessed that the ‘golden rule’ works in marriage!?!

She did once tell me “no” to a pin: JJP GnR…she doesn’t like the band…thank goodness I honored her opinion.

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Those of you who think it’s totally fair to just give half your shit to a person because you get married are crazy.

In a lot of instances having half your shit taken doesn’t mean the books are closed. They can always come back for more when that runs out or you have continued financial success.

Oh and if you’re ever put on child support, don’t think about asking for a reduction if you’ve always been able to make full payments. There’s no reason to reduce if you’re seemingly doing that well.

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

In a lot of instances having half your shit taken doesn’t mean the books are closed. They can always come back for more when that runs out or you have continued financial success.
    Oh and if you’re ever put on child support, don’t think about asking for a reduction if you’ve always been able to make full payments. There’s no reason to reduce if you’re seemingly doing that well.

I ever get married, I want my prenup to dwarf all 3 of the Lord of The Rings books, plus the appendix.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I ever get married, I want my prenup to dwarf all 3 of the Lord of The Rings books, plus the appendix.

Place all your assets in a trust before you buy that ring.

#147 1 year ago

I bought my first house in 1997, been renting it since 2009. Had about 10 pins at the time, including most of my 90's B/W games. We all know where the value has gone on those.

Married 2011. Divorced a few weeks ago. Ex had a house she owned that she lost to foreclosure during the recession in 2008 - I loaned her the money to buy it back at a county tax auction in 2013 for a pittance (18k, worth about $110k now). 3 bedroom bungalow, big yard, detached garage. She began renting it when we bought our house in 2013 or so. The past 4 years she's rented it to her son for about half what she could be getting but it's paid off so.....

When we started discussing the divorce and lining up appraisers so she could get half of the appreciation value of our current home (I wanted to buy her out), I pointed out that "her" house was purchased while we were married (hence a marital asset), so we needed to get an appraisal on that too. Instantly the claws came out - "You took money out of our joint account (once, about 4k) to do repairs on your house so that's now a "marital asset" too, so half of THAT house is mine. And half of all your games too".

Talked to 2 different lawyers and they basically said it was a crap shoot - a judge may decide that since we'd been married over 10 years that half of everything I owned COULD be considered "marital", regardless of how long I'd owned it. And that they'd have to get a collectibles appraiser to value each of the games, which wouldn't be cheap.

She and I agreed that I'd give her $75k for half the appreciation value of the house (which is about 10k more than it actually appraised for), and half my 401k, and she'd leave my games and rental house alone.

My lawyer said "If you wanna make me rich, we'll fight her. $75k and half your 401k? I think you're getting off easy".

I paid her off and kept the house. But I'll forever be curious how it would have gone if we'd fought it out.

#148 1 year ago

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but the answer to this question for my marriage was to make a lot more money. When I got married 15 years ago I was joining the Army as an E3. I was in for six and a half years and during that time I never made more than a few thousand bucks a month (OK, combat pay in Afghanistan put me a little higher for a year).

My wife is one of the most tight fisted people around, and I am not. I didn't put us into debt or anything, but my natural preference is to spend the money I make, and she wanted to save it. We were so poor that she would get mad at me for going to the PX for a candy bar. When I got out of the military, I knew if I wanted a moments peace the only thing I could do was earn more. I went back to school on the GI Bill and worked my butt off to get straight A's in Computer Science. We were still poor but I was in school, on public transit, or studying 16 hours a day so I didn't really have time to bother her by spending money.

Once I graduated, I knew my first few years were crucial because I was already behind my peers, so I outworked everyone. I was the first in, last out every single day. Every decision I made at work was measured, and I never allowed myself to act emotionally. Luckily my wife and kids were used to not seeing me a lot (Army --> School --> 80hr/week job) so I just kept on going. I've been at it for a little over six years and have been promoted five times. I make enough money that a few years ago my wife just stopped watching the bank/cc accounts altogether. We have plenty of savings, retirement, etc, so she just doesn't care what I buy, and I don't care what she buys.

The last few years have been the best of my whole marriage and I don't mind the fact that I rarely have a full evening or weekend off because the time I do have is spent with the people, and on the things, that I love in a much more harmonious way than I ever had before. Perhaps it's a sad statement on society (although there are plenty of those on the other side of the equation too), but if men are the wallets in the relationship, then I'm darn sure going to fill mine up. I haven't gotten one bit of grief over any of the pinball machines I've bought.

#149 1 year ago

It's a shame that pinside is 99.8 % male. Would be great to get an alternative view around here on these matters!

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from Artax:

...While some people are striving for equality, many are blind to the fact that men can also be mistreated and abused in various ways and they then have to hear things like "happy wife, happy life".

Rich white guys; will they ever be treated fairly?!

There are 236 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-wife-happy-life-/page/3?hl=theshaft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.