New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 51882)

Happy or sad when you finish a project?

By NJGecko

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mario_1_up
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just curious how you feel when you finish a project?
    Happy that it's done and you can play (or sell) it?
    Sad because it's done and it's time to move on to something else?

I remember when I finished Xenon I couldn't wait to get rid of it. So much frustration I just wanted it out of my sight.
    Just wrapped up my T2 this morning except for final cleanup. And I'm kinda bummed it's done. My AFM project is a few weeks out, so I've got some free time now.

Maybe I will actually get back to playing!

#2 7 years ago

I recognize the OP is asking about feelings around a machine you are letting go of. I haven't let go of a project machine yet, but I have noticed some interesting feeling patterns around buying and restoring machines.

I've heard wise men say, "You can only Want something you don't have, that is the nature of Wanting. Once you have it, you no longer Want it."

But I think Pride comes from "Accomplishing a challenging set of tasks." And I think pride is best rush of all, because it REPEATS on its own.

I can wake up and randomly remind myself, "Yeah, I did that." And feel great all over again, as if I just did it last night. I might wake up and randomly think, "Yeah, I now HAVE that", but the GOOD FEELING isn't going to be as strong as what I get from a Pride thought -- no question. That's just how it is for me.

So I would say, I notice more of a "post-birth depression" after a purchase than I do after a project.

For example:

I hunted for machine X for 6 months, and I REALLY enjoyed the hunt, and the searching, and finally finding the "right seller" (which is the actual "accomplishment"). When it's the night before pickup/delivery... it is certainly like being 4 and Santa Claus is coming tomorrow. I find that to be quite a rush. I enjoy it every time.

Bringing a machine home is nice, playing it is nice, but there's a drop off in happiness for me from Hunt to Playing -- because the HUNT is over. The Hunt/Finding the perfect Seller -- was the accomplishment. I notice this every time, but I expect it to happen, so it doesn't surprise me too much. I don't confuse that drop off, with "OH Sh!T, did I get the wrong machine???" I know my love for the machine may take weeks or months to develop. I give that time.

Now, as for projects. I STILL get a good feeling months later when I look at a machine I put 40+ hours into such as my GL, and I feel a lot pride from that, but more importantly, I feel it often -- without trying.

Hunting = fun
    Owning = flat or a letdown cause the hunt is over
    Projects = ongoing reverberating/echoing pride (doesn't ever stop feeling good)

I'm new to the hobby, so I can't speak to selling a bought machine versus a project machine and how difficult or upsetting that is, and which might be easier. My hunch is I'd have a harder time selling a project machine. Perhaps, it's like letting go of a friend you spent more time helping out than one you never had to invest time helping out. There's an investment there. But that's only a hunch.

-mof

#3 7 years ago

Euphoric.

When I shop a game, stand back and admire it.

I am amazed at the beauty that is pinball. A work of art you can play.

After all these years, that still brings a smile to my face.

More so than any other part of pinball.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Euphoric.
    A work of art you can play.

It's true in the first few weeks of getting a machine, I often hear myself saying "genius" when one shot blends into the next (good flow), or an innocent looking ramp post, perfectly rebounds a poor shot SDTM. "Genius" -- it blows me away how well designed these games are sometimes. To add to what Lloyd said, it's like we get to interact with a brilliant Michaelangelo or Rembrandt work... The more you play a machine, the more it reveals its brilliant design. And I definitely enjoy that discovery. I almost gave up on Taxi and Black Knight, because they were kicking my rookie a$$ too hard. I was just wise enough to give them "time"... to teach me what skills I'd have to learn to survive the onslaught, and finally beat them...

Love that unfolding genius that is sometimes slowly revealed with a great pinball design.
    -mof

#5 7 years ago

both-feeling of accomplishment, but then the feeling of what and when is the next one...

#6 7 years ago

I've done a few shop jobs and restorations so far. With my first game I'd say I felt relief! I was just happy that it worked since I was a complete noob. I'm on my fifth game now and my restorations have gotten more ambitious each time. As I near completion I start getting the itch to see the game in my lineup ready to play. I also really start looking forward to my next restoration project.

#7 7 years ago

Relieved. But, am ready to start the next one almost immediately.

#8 7 years ago

We normally have 3 to 6 machines going at once so basically it never ends here. Normally we have 15 to 20 machines in the garage at any given time. And with over 50 projects waiting and more stuff coming and going all the time I have to say I am always happy to move on to the next one.

Our biggest problem is deciding what to let go of once we finish something else we think we will like even more. We now have a bunch of machines we really like so as time goes on it gets harder & harder to decide what to let go of.

With that said - I love to see people come play & buy machines from us after they have shopped around some. Most people are blown away at how a pinball machine is suppose to play if they have never played a freshly shopped & 100% working machine. Rarely do you find machines working 100% these days so people are super surprised when they play a few that work great.

Today I had a guy stop by to look at a few machines I have for sale and after each machine he said "boy this plays great" or "I kind of like the way this one plays". The only problem is he liked 5 or 6 machines so instead of taking one home he is coming back to play a few more before he decides. That is fine with me because I love to see people take machines home they love.

But after each machine is gone I kind of miss it and very often I buy another one (same title) a few months down the road because I miss the one I sold. I don't know what the rest of you guys think but the second one never seems to play as good as the first one I wish I didn't sell.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Relieved. But, am ready to start the next one almost immediately.

Yeah, once completed, I think, " Man, I wish there was something else to fix." With a couple EMs lately, it seems they are quite willing to oblige.

I am needing something else to work on right now.

Dan

#10 7 years ago

I feel happy, because I can play it! If I bring in a project it will be dead. I'll bring it back to life and play the crap out of it. Eventually it will move to a new home as a "player" pin. It won't be pretty, but it will be fun.

#11 7 years ago

Usually happy as long as there is another project ready to be started. I'll also go back to one I finished a few months later and think, why didn't I do that while I had it apart? Then Bam, another project emerges.

#12 7 years ago

Happy to have it done. And if I don't have another one to do right away I find myself working on ones in my own collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 32.00
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 4.95
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Habos Arcade
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside