6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dirtrider
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20121224_130632.jpg
    tootsie-pop-owl.jpg
    images.jpeg
    image.jpg
    images-1.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Happy holidays all. I was just responding to the Merry XMas thread and realized when I posted Happy Festivus that it could ignite a flurry of posts on grievances. So in the holiday spirit, I started a new thread.

In the Festivus spirit air your pinball related grievances here. Not in the Predator thread (pinballdad), not in the WOZ thread (Gambit) and not in the Avengers thread (Gerry) but here. Here you are welcome as it is the Festivus thread. Fire away....

Unknown.jpeg images-1.jpeg

#2 6 years ago

you know festivus does not end till you pin me right...

#3 6 years ago

I have been pissed off for 2 days, so I will start. Every year I am forced to buy birthday and Christmas parents for my husband's sister, husband, and 5 kids. (Their birthdays are within 2 months of Christmas and we dont otherwise see them, so that is 14 presents at the most-broke time of the year.) I spend tons of time, energy, and money trying to find nice things for them that are on sale or affordable, but it is always over $200 just because of the sheer # of gifts and age differences so I cant combine gifts. Two years ago we got the kids a Wii. This year it was a big box of stuff over $250. They arent coming to town so his other sister is taking the presents down. Not only did I get big attitude from his sister about having to take the presents, but for the 5th year in a row I got a leftover afterthought non-present from them. They forgot about me and husband, so his other sister wrapped up the smallest gift she could find and put their name on it. In return for 14+ gifts worth retail $400 I got a broken 4x4 ceramic tile with a owl printed on it. I think it is supposed to hang up like a decorative thing, but it is already broken and wont hang or stand up.

Want to make someone feel completely useless and used? Demand gifts from them, never thank them, forget about them, and have someone else give them leftover shit as a gift to pretend you put in some effort.

This is why i hate the holidays, and will be canceling any form of birthday or Christmas presents for them next year. Oh, and it isnt like I am new to the family. Last week was the 10 year anniversary of my engagement to her brother. I have been around 14 years. They still dont mnow my full name and only refer to me by the nickname he calls me, if they even talk to me at all. image.jpg

#4 6 years ago

Festivus was yesterday. December 23rd. Sorry, you'll have to wait another 11 months, 30 days!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I have been pissed off for 2 days, so I will start. Every year I am forced to buy birthday and Christmas parents for my husband's sister, husband, and 5 kids. (Their birthdays are within 2 months of Christmas and we dont otherwise see them, so that is 14 presents at the most-broke time of the year.) I spend tons of time, energy, and money trying to find nice things for them that are on sale or affordable, but it is always over $200 just because of the sheer # of gifts and age differences so I cant combine gifts. Two years ago we got the kids a Wii. This year it was a big box of stuff over $250. They arent coming to town so his other sister is taking the presents down. Not only did I get big attitude from his sister about having to take the presents, but for the 5th year in a row I got a leftover afterthought non-present from them. They forgot about me and husband, so his other sister wrapped up the smallest gift she could find and put their name on it. In return for 14+ gifts worth retail $400 I got a broken 4x4 ceramic tile with a owl printed on it. I think it is supposed to hang up like a decorative thing, but it is already broken and wont hang or stand up.
    Want to make someone feel completely useless and used? Demand gifts from them, never thank them, forget about them, and have someone else give them leftover shit as a gift to pretend you put in some effort.
    This is why i hate the holidays, and will be canceling any form of birthday or Christmas presents for them next year. Oh, and it isnt like I am new to the family. Last week was the 10 year anniversary of my engagement to her brother. I have been around 14 years. They still dont mnow my full name and only refer to me by the nickname he calls me, if they even talk to me at all.

gosh that's awful blondetall! I agree that for next year, they can just bite you!..

#6 6 years ago

Just one. What ever happened to being optimistic or a positive person? It seems people do nothing but bitch and complain anymore (not just pinball) and that their rights are more important than others rights.

I was "almost" hoping the fears of 12/21/12 were partly true as I feel it's nearly time for a coming. Whether it be people shooting kids, our government caring more about their political wants than the needs of the greater country or just people looking at the negative in everything it just sickens me.

I have a daughter and have considered having another child but I almost feel ashamed to force another human to have to live through the crap that is starting to pile up.

rant off - Merry Christmas everyone. WOW... I actually said it. Not happy holiday's but actually Merry Christmas. Boy did that feel good.

#7 6 years ago

Just like a woman to jump onto this!

I kid, I kid...(as my wife back-hands me on the head).

Blonde tail, sounds like you are an afterthought, and would be interesting to see how they react( or overreact) to the same treatment! That doesn't just suck, it's friggen' rude as hell! ( the name issue!)

Have a great Festivus despite their best attempts anyways!

My grievance is this: I have to wait til 1:00 today for the TFLE code update from Stern??
    I WANT IT NOW! AND I WANT IT TO HAVE OPTIMUS PROGRESSION!!!!! Oh, and I WANT BLONDE TAIL TO FINALLY GET SOME GOSH-DARNED RESPECT! How's that?

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Blonde tail, sounds like you are an afterthought, and would be interesting to see how they react( or overreact) to the same treatment! That doesn't just suck, it's friggen' rude as hell! ( the name issue!)

you didn't get her name right either lol
    poor BLONDETALL, sorry sweetie

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Demand gifts from them, never thank them, forget about them,

Happens after going to weddings too not even a thank you card and on top of that the receptions food there is awful (cheap crap)too boot not that I judge on that ,but still make the effort to send a thank you card.

Want to get even, get everything for them from a 2nd hand store and tell them you are supporting a local business that needs monetary assistance that will stop that gift exchange crap dead in its tracks.

Have a Merry Christmas

Pin-it

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

This is why i hate the holidays, and will be canceling any form of birthday or Christmas presents for them next year.

I used to knock myself out for Christmas. Find stuff they couldn't, or get them thing they wouldn't get themselves or couldn't afford.

I rarely got anything in return, not even as good as your broken owl.

And finally got to the point, when I used to bake 14 different kinds of cookies each Christmas, I just started giving cookies.

They could get a gift from the heart and be happy with it.

LTG : )

#11 6 years ago

It's the Christmas music that drives me crazy.
    I've gotten pretty good at insulating myself from it.

#12 6 years ago

My Grievance:

Spending the holiday with my brother in law. He only talks about football from sunrise to sunset. A waddling buffoon fueled by beer, completely out of touch with world affairs and anything to do with civilized society. He plops his ass in the easy chair and rambles on and on, hour after hour, about Joe Montana's awesome quarterback record between the crunching of potato chips and beer farts.

I really hate that guy.

#13 6 years ago

Trouble lights! Wouldn't the laws of probability cause the light to hang or lay right at least half of the time? NO! It always seems to flip around and shine in my eyes instead of shining on the project I'm trying to work on! Maybe that's why they're called trouble lights.

#14 6 years ago

I'm having a great time. . I decided this year I would just laugh and smile at my normal grievance, my mother-in-law. It's working so far.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

My Grievance:

Spending the holiday with my brother in law

I think everyone has at least one idiot brother-in-law. We had my in-laws over yesterday for Christmas. Luckily our Exchange server at work choked on the service pack that I applied, and I spent about 4 hours dealing with that issue, so I didn't have to hear my idiot brother-in-law's inane banter.

A Festivus miracle!

#16 6 years ago

Pin flippers posing as collectors. Oops, I'm late.

#17 6 years ago

Here's an idea. Get them all a cemetery plot for Xmas. Get them nothing in the following years. When they bitch about not getting an Xmas present----

#18 6 years ago

YOU HAVEN'T USED WHAT i GOT YOU LAST TIME YET.

#19 6 years ago

The in laws, visiting them in general, but I actually hear more of their grievances than I supply myself. One of those families that won't accept 'outsiders' talking, but they can talk about anything and everything with no room for debate.

I'd rather stay here at work all day, but it'll be unavoidable when I leave work to visit them and give them my 'not good enough' gifts (always implied), even though they are just as good as what they give.

At least I don't have to stay there long, and I can come home and play pinball or something.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I got a broken 4x4 ceramic tile with a owl printed on it.

It is lovely

#21 6 years ago

it is the uh, thought that counts... right?

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from lrosent345:

YOU HAVEN'T USED WHAT i GOT YOU LAST TIME YET.

I stopped buying my wife gifts. I think I will put a bow on the bike she did not ride last year, the exercise games she wanted that she did not play from years back and that stupid overpriced boso ball she had to have that is cluttering up the garage still unopened.

Don't get me started

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from HB_GAMER:

Don't get me started

lol

#24 6 years ago

Blondetall, I would rewrap the tile and that would be the gift next year for all to enjoy. Period.

#25 6 years ago

Ummm...

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Festivus was yesterday. December 23rd.

Does that mean I'm too late to compete in the 'feats of strength'?

#27 6 years ago

This thread will be very enjoyable...

I was the same way, bending over backwards to please everyone during the holidays, going to visit multiple relatives for multiple terrible meals, with even more terrible dialogue/guilt trips thrown in.
    It was horrible.

Since then, we've severed all that nonsense by instating the "NO B.S. Christmas", where every year we *ahem* "fall off the family radar", to just simply enjoy a nice quiet holiday- in pajamas, with friends that have no underlying agenda... No gifts are allowed, or expected.
    We eat, drink, play pinball, watch movies and just hang out.

This year however,
    We are going to see 'Django Unchained' first... You know, because it's Christmas!

#28 6 years ago

My sister is a religious zealot. She uses the church as a crutch against the many things in her life that haven't gone to plan. This spring she called me up and let me know I was going to hell, because I have a job that is outside the church and make more money than I need.

Every christmas she yells at me if she doesn't think the gift I got her is expensive enough,

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

This year however,
    We are going to see 'Django Unchained' first... You know, because it's Christmas!

After the middle portion of your thread which suggested a nice, carefree, easygoing "no B.S. Christmas" you hit us with this like a ton of lead in the last sentence?

This sounds to be an enormously cause-ridden guilt-ridden politically heavy way to spend a Christmas LOL. Why not go see "The Guilt Trip" or some other thing that is more lighthearted?

Each to your own. Merry Politically Serious and Socially Aware Christmas to you.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Pin flippers posing as collectors. Oops, I'm late.

Someone in particular?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

They forgot about me and husband, so his other sister wrapped up the smallest gift she could find and put their name on it. In return for 14+ gifts worth retail $400 I got a broken 4x4 ceramic tile with a owl printed on it.

Same story, only I would work an extra job during the weekends for Xmas presents for my nieces and their kids. Really never thought about what I got back until one Christmas I got a shower sponge with body wash. I'd rather have cookies or even cheap candy canes, but instead I got a re-gift meant for a female. It wasn't a thoughtful gift.

Stopped giving gifts outside immediate family. Now I don't work a second job to buy presents and can spend more time with my wife on weekends leading up to Christmas. Ended up being a thoughtful present after all. Next year, just send them cards with a cheerful message letting them know they are in your thoughts.

#32 6 years ago

Watched that movie - Killing them softly
    was kind of stunned it was over in a 1 1/2 hr

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

Why not go see "The Guilt Trip"

Why? I've already lived out that one in real life PennSkier.

Maybe we'll follow up 'Django' after a bit of drinking/food with 'This is 40'. Would that work for you Penn?
    (Just don't forget your pajamas... )

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

you didn't get her name right either lol
    poor BLONDETALL, sorry sweetie

Iphone spellcheck! DAMMIT!

#35 6 years ago

when santa delivers me a MM, i will buy christmas presents again. screw all the madness with shopping, just getting to work with the extra traffic this time of year blows. handing my niece and nephew cards with money in it, mom gets a present. nothing else for anyone. bah humbug

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I got a broken 4x4 ceramic tile with a owl printed on it

Put it on ebay with some tootsie roll tootsie pops and call it a collectible. Turn that lemon into lemonade for $20.

Seriously, sorry. That's a bummer. I agree with another poster, re-gift it next year with tootsie pops to the kids and mail it in. You need to love Xmas again. tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

when santa delivers me a MM, i will buy christmas presents again. screw all the madness with shopping, just getting to work with the extra traffic this time of year blows. handing my niece and nephew cards with money in it, mom gets a present. nothing else for anyone. bah humbug

Your second in that line. Don't worry, I'll wear a festive sweater for you to enjoy looking at the back of.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Your second in that line. Don't worry, I'll wear a festive sweater for you to enjoy looking at the back of.

thanks.... last MM i tried to get i was the second email, so i already knew i would be second again

#39 6 years ago

and now feats of strength!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

My sister is a religious zealot. She uses the church as a crutch against the many things in her life that haven't gone to plan. This spring she called me up and let me know I was going to hell, because I have a job that is outside the church and make more money than I need.
    Every christmas she yells at me if she doesn't think the gift I got her is expensive enough,

Could I introduce her to my brother in law?

Sounds like they would be perfect for each other.

#41 6 years ago

We got some weird stuff in the past. That owl is pretty awesome in comparison. Some of the ones that I recall : a snoopy remote control holder for an armchair, an aerial view photo of an aluminum factory, a box of size xxxl latex gloves, hot pink windshield scrapers, a partially drank bottle of shine that I witnessed being topped off with water!

I'm sure we'll get something equally sweet this year. Hit me up if you want to work out a trade for the owl.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from APOLLO_13:

it is the uh, thought that counts... right?

I agree. I never felt bad about a present I got. I get so few I treasure them.

It was not getting anything. I know you shouldn't expect anything in return.

But a simple thank you, or a thank you card, isn't out of line.

Even when I'd gotten married, forget presents, I was amazed at how many didn't even call or send a card.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

We got some weird stuff in the past. That owl is pretty awesome in comparison. Some of the ones that I recall : a snoopy remote control holder for an armchair, an aerial view photo of an aluminum factory, a box of size xxxl latex gloves, hot pink windshield scrapers, a partially drank bottle of shine that I witnessed being topped off with water!
    I'm sure we'll get something equally sweet this year. Hit me up if you want to work out a trade for the owl.

Was the aluminum factory Kaiser or already renamed as Alcoa?

#44 6 years ago

It was Century aluminum. You interested?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Love it !

#46 6 years ago

Mods may move this to market place, but I feel present exchange coming up after Christmas.

My bad present for your bad present.

At least put some fun back into the holiday.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

My bad present for your bad present.

OK. I am in. I am contributing some KISS figurines and a KISS tree ornament. I am sure someone will want them for their KISS machine, right??

RIGHT???

According to this, I even know all 52 of your names... http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/kiss/owners

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

but I feel present exchange coming up after Christmas.

Ohhhhh Yeah!
    Let the,
    "First Annual Pinside After ChanukahChristmasKwanzaa Re-Giftingpalooza!" begin!!!
    (Maybe I should do a shirt... )

Now,
    Who needs some repackaged BVD's?!?
    images.jpeg

#49 6 years ago

Out lanes. I frickin hate out lanes!

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

My sister is a religious zealot

Her and I should get together! All hail Beelzebub! Our Dark Lord and master. He is a firm, yet harsh taskmaster.

A very Merry Christmas to all, and to all demons a good Knight!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 10.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside