• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190421_143025525 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190421_143013676 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190421_142515806 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paddlepaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Who wants a gross story? I was working on my 1947 torchy pinball machine replacing a spring on the plunger when I lost my grip on it and a washer flew off the plunger into the bottom of the cabinet. I looked all around and then decided I had to move the bottom board to see if I could find it. I never found it but I did find something strange attached to the cabinet sidewall just beneath the bottom board. It was clay or mud-like. I thought it was strange but put it aside for later so I could finish the machine. I finally get back to it today when I'm cleaning up and I decide to do some archaeology. The item was made out of mud and had three capsules, one of which was already open and empty. I decided I would partially open the other two and saw that there were a bunch of bug bits. Once I finally got them all the way open I realized that inside the two capsules were tons of spiders and spider bits along with a few eggs. These are not the Easter eggs you were looking for... A quick Google search showed me it was most likely a mud dauber wasp nest. I didn't know much about them until today. They use their venom to paralyzed spiders, drag them into their nests and lay eggs so that baby wasps can feast. This is easily the grossest and strangest thing I have found in a pinball machine to date.

Happy Easter!

IMG_20190421_142515806 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_142515806 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_143013676 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_143013676 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_143025525 (resized).jpgIMG_20190421_143025525 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paddlepaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-easter-from-the-mud-daubers?tu=paddlepaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.