(Topic ID: 259193)

Happy (Classic) Stern Year to Me - LazerLord!

By smileymatthew

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tedandjen
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern-Viper_Switch-Assignments (resized).jpg
IMG_20200115_223615 (resized).jpg
20200115_222358 (resized).jpg
20200115_222530 (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg
LLord WW (resized).jpg
LLOrd (resized).jpg
20200107_180954 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smileymatthew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

What will it's future hold? TBD!

A) Keep As Is and don't touch it
B) Make Artwork (plastics/maybe playfield)
C) Just Play the thing and have fun
D) Sell to Museum or others organization

BTW - It works great with only only little bug in the software involving the extra ball. Plays very fast. Great Sounds.

Might be the first game with 4 Ball Multi-ball? I know Centaur Had 5 and lots of others had 3.

As a Classic Stern Guy, I'm pretty happy
20200107_180954 (resized).jpg20200107_180954 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

The Previous owner put a TON and I mean a ton of time in this thing. All New Light Sockets, Reproed the backglass, (have the original and the remake) new rectifier board, new driver, new targets, LED's, even rebuilt the damaged cabinet and repainted. Went through and documented each dip switch to figure out the settings. All it needs now is some new rubbers really. I don't want to speculate how many hours and cost, but it's a hell of a lot more than 20 minutes.

#26 4 years ago

To answer a few questions:

It is in a "Viper Cabinet" - previous owner rebuilt and repainted the cabinet - as the back part was rotted out. He did a great job and it looks awesome.

The code works and plays! One bug in the software regarding the extra ball. (would love to have someone fix this) Otherwise, it plays and has sound and scores and all of that good stuff!

The Rubbers will be changed (DUH) - previous owner spent HOURS and HOURS fixing everything else. This game literally has new light sockets for every bulb, new rectifier board, LED's, rebuilt cabinet and he even went through every dipswitch to figure out what did what AND even reproduced the backglass and sealed the original.

Mechanics underneath are typical stuff of the time. The Flippers are strong and make the shots easily!

Chance it will come to PATZ this year and maybe elsewhere!

I'd be glad to put up some more pictures. If you've seen a viper cabinet, you've seen this one. (I also own viper, which is hard as hell! LOL)

#34 4 years ago

Pretty Much sums is at all up.

Joe Joos name is on the playfield under the apron.

Hard to say what this game would have done if produced, but pinball was in a big downswing so I suspect it wouldn't probably wouldn't have done much better, but hard to know, as noted Orbitor 1 was a "hit" but they ran out of money.

As far as the "clone" quicksilver/lazerlord, it would be curious to know who did the art for the PF/Plastics. Obviously done later and not compatible with this whitewood, but someone *did* do an art package for that version.

We also know Stern tried "Cue" at this point as well but I guess it didn't test well and was never built beyond a few. I know at least one of those exists as well somewhere.

Interesting time for sure!

As noted, this game is basically finished and totally playable, just no PF artwork.

What would really be cool is to get the two LazerLords together at some point.

#44 4 years ago

I will post a video of the gameplay soon. The Game code is Finished (more or less) as best I can tell with just a few bugs. So yes, it does play, score, function and start and end the games complete with match routine and full sounds. There is no sound when you credit it up oddly. As as mentioned, there is a bug in the extra ball but otherwise it seems totally functional and no issues that I've noticed.

I'm going to get some new rubbers on it and repair the left slingshot (It's dead, coil is bad oddly) and I'll get a video up for everyone to see. The Game is pretty fun actually. The Trick is you have to lock 3 balls and then you can release 1,2 or 3 depending on what you're able to accomplish!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smileymatthew.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-classic-stern-year-to-me?tu=smileymatthew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.