(Topic ID: 259193)

Happy (Classic) Stern Year to Me - LazerLord!

By smileymatthew

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tedandjen
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern-Viper_Switch-Assignments (resized).jpg
IMG_20200115_223615 (resized).jpg
20200115_222358 (resized).jpg
20200115_222530 (resized).jpg
image-6 (resized).jpg
LLord WW (resized).jpg
LLOrd (resized).jpg
20200107_180954 (resized).jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

What will it's future hold? TBD!

A) Keep As Is and don't touch it
B) Make Artwork (plastics/maybe playfield)
C) Just Play the thing and have fun
D) Sell to Museum or others organization

BTW - It works great with only only little bug in the software involving the extra ball. Plays very fast. Great Sounds.

Might be the first game with 4 Ball Multi-ball? I know Centaur Had 5 and lots of others had 3.

As a Classic Stern Guy, I'm pretty happy
20200107_180954 (resized).jpg20200107_180954 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Congrats Matthew, glad it went to a good home.

John

#3 4 years ago

Great job!

Remember when vid was bragging he could get it working in 20 minutes? Was he right?

I would keep it as is, unless you can locate actual intended original art.

#4 4 years ago

The Previous owner put a TON and I mean a ton of time in this thing. All New Light Sockets, Reproed the backglass, (have the original and the remake) new rectifier board, new driver, new targets, LED's, even rebuilt the damaged cabinet and repainted. Went through and documented each dip switch to figure out the settings. All it needs now is some new rubbers really. I don't want to speculate how many hours and cost, but it's a hell of a lot more than 20 minutes.

#6 4 years ago

Congrats!

BIG vote agianst making art/plastics.

#7 4 years ago

That backglass is amazing! Congrats.

#8 4 years ago

congrats! very cool and thanks for sharing!

#9 4 years ago

Have stern turn it into Rush

I don’t mean your game personally, just wanna see a new layout out there

#10 4 years ago

I am so glad you got this. Fantastic. You need to keep this game yourself and play it. A) KEEP IT AS IS!!!

I have the whitewood for Gamatron and Andromeda. Just let as many people who can enjoy it at shows do that. I take my games to TPF for others to enjoy. Last year I took Steve Kirk's Personnel Gamatron and the whitewood and my Whitewood Andromeda.

Don't give this to some museum, just make sure that if something happens to you a pinball person can get this back into circulation. That is what I have for my games where I only have 1.

I cannot wait to see this at some point.

Is the game running? Or can you get it running ?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

The Previous owner put a TON and I mean a ton of time in this thing. All New Light Sockets, Reproed the backglass, (have the original and the remake) new rectifier board, new driver, new targets, LED's, even rebuilt the damaged cabinet and repainted. Went through and documented each dip switch to figure out the settings. All it needs now is some new rubbers really. I don't want to speculate how many hours and cost, but it's a hell of a lot more than 20 minutes.

So you are the second owner since it was "discovered" a couple years back?

#12 4 years ago

I would keep it as is and enjoy it. Looks like a cool piece!

#13 4 years ago

Keep it as is and bring to shows if possible. If you could bring it to Expo - that would rock.

#14 4 years ago

In two years nobody has bothered to change the rubber on it yet? Would take like 30 minutes!

#15 4 years ago

Good to see a piece of history saved.!! Perhaps it will visit to PATZ 2020??

#16 4 years ago

Awesome. I’m glad you ended up with this Matt!

I had played it shortly after the previous owner got it working. And it looks way better now. He put in a bunch of work.

How about bringing it to PATZ as part of a Classic Stern row this year?

#17 4 years ago

Dude.....what a way to start the year! Congrats!!

As others have said, keep it as is, play it and enjoy it, that’s what it was meant for.

I also hope you bring it to shows. I’d love to see it and play a few games on it.

#18 4 years ago

Congratulations!

#19 4 years ago

Looks very nice, but for some reason I thought the wood would look whiter than that.

#20 4 years ago

Nice find. Keep as is

#21 4 years ago

So does this actually have it's own laser lord correct code?

#22 4 years ago

Happy to see this survived and got a happy ending overall. The backstory on this actual machine sucks.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Happy to see this survived and got a happy ending overall. The backstory on this actual machine sucks.

What's the backstory?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What's the backstory?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lazer-lord#post-2363982

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Remember when vid was bragging he could get it working in 20 minutes? Was he right?

It was 30! I almost miss him sometimes

Quoted from vid1900:

I have repair certification from Bally itself, and never did the instructors say to remove the game from it's location and repair it in a lab or level 100 clean room.
They said "No game should require more than 30 minutes to restore to full operation", and they were not joking.

#25 4 years ago

More pictures please! We all saw that cabinet as it was found originally.

#26 4 years ago

To answer a few questions:

It is in a "Viper Cabinet" - previous owner rebuilt and repainted the cabinet - as the back part was rotted out. He did a great job and it looks awesome.

The code works and plays! One bug in the software regarding the extra ball. (would love to have someone fix this) Otherwise, it plays and has sound and scores and all of that good stuff!

The Rubbers will be changed (DUH) - previous owner spent HOURS and HOURS fixing everything else. This game literally has new light sockets for every bulb, new rectifier board, LED's, rebuilt cabinet and he even went through every dipswitch to figure out what did what AND even reproduced the backglass and sealed the original.

Mechanics underneath are typical stuff of the time. The Flippers are strong and make the shots easily!

Chance it will come to PATZ this year and maybe elsewhere!

I'd be glad to put up some more pictures. If you've seen a viper cabinet, you've seen this one. (I also own viper, which is hard as hell! LOL)

#27 4 years ago

So how do you like the layout?

#28 4 years ago

Glad it ended up with someone who appreciates it.

#29 4 years ago

Chance it will come to PATZ this year

Yes, please!

#30 4 years ago

so what is the story of where it came from/how you acquired it?

also, check this thread for when the 1/1 production was made.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-does-exist-lazer-lord

I guess you have the 1 proto/whitewood.
Other guy has the 1 with art?

tell us more please.

#31 4 years ago

Yours looks much less like QS compared to the one image from the old thread. The one with art appears to be QS. The whitewood is much different.
LLOrd (resized).jpgLLOrd (resized).jpgLLord WW (resized).jpgLLord WW (resized).jpg

edit: just realized most is covered in the previous threads

#32 4 years ago

Sweet find!

#33 4 years ago

What will it's future hold? TBD!
A) Keep As Is and don't touch it
B) Make Artwork (plastics/maybe playfield)
C) Just Play the thing and have fun
D) Sell to Museum or others organization
BTW - It works great with only only little bug in the software involving the extra ball. Plays very fast. Great Sounds.
Might be the first game with 4 Ball Multi-ball? I know Centaur Had 5 and lots of others had 3.
As a Classic Stern Guy, I'm pretty happy
[quoted image]

So this is the whitewood from igo4rams ?
I saw his last update to his blog was him rebuilding the cabinet in November. I’m surprised he sold it after all the drama with folks fighting for this game.

So just for anyone who hasn’t read the other 3 threads: the existing full art lazerlord is the Quicksilver clone. This whitewood is the only unique custom designed Lazerlord that exists. It was discovered in Chicago a little over 2 years ago now.
There were some near mythical ROMs that were on the IPDB and somehow those ROMs were designed for this game that,
at this point we know, appears one of a kind.

Basically a one off whitewood designed by legendary Joe Joos Jr right when Stern closed up their pinball division.

I saw someone claim that Orbitor 1 and Iron Maiden caused Stern to close up shop. That’s not true, Gary indicated in an old interview that 4K orders existed for Orbitor 1, it was a HOT GAME everyone wanted, but Stern was too far in the hole and production costs of Orbitor were prohibitive so they canceled production even though they could have sold a ton more, it wouldn’t have been enough to bail them out.

#34 4 years ago

Pretty Much sums is at all up.

Joe Joos name is on the playfield under the apron.

Hard to say what this game would have done if produced, but pinball was in a big downswing so I suspect it wouldn't probably wouldn't have done much better, but hard to know, as noted Orbitor 1 was a "hit" but they ran out of money.

As far as the "clone" quicksilver/lazerlord, it would be curious to know who did the art for the PF/Plastics. Obviously done later and not compatible with this whitewood, but someone *did* do an art package for that version.

We also know Stern tried "Cue" at this point as well but I guess it didn't test well and was never built beyond a few. I know at least one of those exists as well somewhere.

Interesting time for sure!

As noted, this game is basically finished and totally playable, just no PF artwork.

What would really be cool is to get the two LazerLords together at some point.

#35 4 years ago

Pretty Much sums is at all up.
Joe Joos name is on the playfield under the apron.
Hard to say what this game would have done if produced, but pinball was in a big downswing so I suspect it wouldn't probably wouldn't have done much better, but hard to know, as noted Orbitor 1 was a "hit" but they ran out of money.
As far as the "clone" quicksilver/lazerlord, it would be curious to know who did the art for the PF/Plastics. Obviously done later and not compatible with this whitewood, but someone *did* do an art package for that version.
We also know Stern tried "Cue" at this point as well but I guess it didn't test well and was never built beyond a few. I know at least one of those exists as well somewhere.
Interesting time for sure!
As noted, this game is basically finished and totally playable, just no PF artwork.
What would really be cool is to get the two LazerLords together at some point.

Sounds like you believe that the Lazerlord with Artwork is just a reskinned QS? From reading through the other threads (and after seeing Derek attempting to sell a sanded down QS as a whitewood) it seems entirely plausible that is the case.

Curious what is the condition of you backglass and is it the original? In one of the other threads there were pics of it badly flaking. I assume the art LL was a reproduction so wonder if you now have a reproduction glass also?

#36 4 years ago

Lazer Lord and Quicksilver are not identical, I get to see them side by side. They are very similar, but the lower target bank is at a slightly different angle on Lazer Lord...... that's about the only difference though.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Curious what is the condition of your backglass and is it the original? I wonder if you now have a reproduction glass also?

To answer a few questions: The previous owner reproduced the backglass and sealed the original.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Lazer Lord and Quicksilver are not identical, I get to see them side by side. They are very similar, but the lower target bank is at a slightly different angle on Lazer Lord...... that's about the only difference though.

I want to see it.

#39 4 years ago

Is there a video of the whitewood? Anywhere?

#40 4 years ago

Most of the info is here: https://lazerlord.blogspot.com

There was video posted:

It just showed the initial power on, and some of the switches. I don’t think video of it “playing” has ever been posted

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Most of the info is here: https://lazerlord.blogspot.com
There was video posted:

It just showed the initial power on, and some of the switches. I don’t think video of it “playing” has ever been posted

Yep, I followed his blog. A gameplay video is what I’d like to see.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yep, I followed his blog. A gameplay video is what I’d like to see.

Ah well initially you said

Quoted from dothedoo:

Is there a video of the whitewood? Anywhere?

And what I posted is the only know video of the whitewood. Hopefully this new owner posts that gameplay video. From my understanding it cannot play “right” because the code was never completed.

#43 4 years ago

That’s the only video I know of too. I should have been more clear about wanting to see a gameplay video.

#44 4 years ago

I will post a video of the gameplay soon. The Game code is Finished (more or less) as best I can tell with just a few bugs. So yes, it does play, score, function and start and end the games complete with match routine and full sounds. There is no sound when you credit it up oddly. As as mentioned, there is a bug in the extra ball but otherwise it seems totally functional and no issues that I've noticed.

I'm going to get some new rubbers on it and repair the left slingshot (It's dead, coil is bad oddly) and I'll get a video up for everyone to see. The Game is pretty fun actually. The Trick is you have to lock 3 balls and then you can release 1,2 or 3 depending on what you're able to accomplish!

#45 4 years ago

This was produced around 1979/1980 by Steve Kirk. Evidence this was the original game not F2k. Production Gamatron was 1985. Would be good to get these together sometime. Interesting to see the same inserts as Steve Kirk said this white wood was produced at Stern NOT PinStar.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=984&picno=37305

image-6 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpg
#46 4 years ago

I drink coffee every day out of my Lazer Lord mug

20200115_222530 (resized).jpg20200115_222530 (resized).jpg
#47 4 years ago
20200115_222358 (resized).jpg20200115_222358 (resized).jpg
#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So many questions..

That we "DO NOT" what answers for...........

#50 4 years ago

Either you're taking that machine to an "Eyes Wide Shut" party...or you're waiting for the party to come to you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-classic-stern-year-to-me?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.