(Topic ID: 58218)

Happy birthday to Wayne Neyens - a truly GREAT pinball designer!

By Tuna_Delight

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_2026 (resized).JPG
    Gottlieb Rockettes (resized).jpg
    Oklahoma  (resized).jpg
    DSCN5488 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1320 (resized).JPG
    Oklahoma2.jpg
    Oklahoma1.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Wayne Neyens, the man who designed so many great pinball games is now 95! (Thanks to Glen Peters for the reminder!)

For those who really appreciate classic Gottlieb EM games and haven't listened to it before, I highly recommend Clay Harrell's TOPcast interview with Mr. Neyens:

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_30.mp3

- Tim

#2 5 years ago

Happy Birthday Wayne! May you have many more!

Enjoy the day!

Thanks for my Gottlieb "Spirit of 76".

Ken

#3 5 years ago

Anyone who cracks the 95 mark deserves an applause!!

#4 5 years ago

Way to go Wayne !

1 year later
    #5 3 years ago

Wayne is 97 today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mr. Neyens!

And thanks once again to Glen Peters and his reminder post on RGP today!

#6 3 years ago

Happy Birthday yet once again Wayne!

97 years of pinball...........simply amazing!

Keep playing EM pinball as it will keep you young at heart!

Ken

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Wayne is 97 today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mr. Neyens!
    And thanks once again to Glen Peters and his reminder post on RGP today!

You beat my correction by 7 minutes! : )

#8 3 years ago

SweetHearts and Cover Girl
    some of my Neyens design favs

#9 3 years ago

Happy birthday to the man who invented the spoon switch (for pop bumpers) and also gave us the roto-target.

#10 3 years ago

His TopCast interview truly is the best by a long shot. Sounds like a true gentleman who was lucky enough to spend the majority of his working life doing something he really enjoyed. That comes across in spades when you listen to that interview. As Tuna_Delight said above/a few years back, if you haven't listed to the interview yet, do yourself a favor, especially if you like Gottlieb EM's.

#11 3 years ago

Wayne is a wonderful gentleman who designed so many of our favorite EM pins. God bless him, and I hope he enjoys many more birthdays.

#12 3 years ago

I was lucky enough to meet him and his wife at 2010 EXPO and got pictures. Classic nice guy who designed most of my favorite games - day in and day out for several years. Happy Birthday Wayne.

#13 3 years ago

Happy Birthday. His designs are unlikely to be surpassed - so many classics

#14 3 years ago

I'm lucky to have his signature on the playfield of my Oklahoma. (It was signed two owners before me)

Oklahoma1.jpg

Oklahoma2.jpg

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

I'm lucky to have his signature on the playfield of my Oklahoma. (It was signed two owners before me)

Oklahoma1.jpg Oklahoma2.jpg

Nice touch........

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldcarz:

Oklahoma1.jpg Oklahoma2.jpg

VERY cool! And cool game too (tried and failed to buy one once).

1 year later
    #17 2 years ago

Here's an insider's tip: This year's PPE in Alameda will feature EVERY Wayne Neyens woodrail! AND he might be there to see it!
    He be 98 now!

8 months later
    #18 2 years ago

Caught up with Michael Shalloub today (author of the Pinball Compendium series) who during my visit made a telephone call to Wayne Neyens. To my surprise during the call Michael handed me the phone & I had the privilege & honour to have a short conversation with Wayne during which I had the opportunity to personally convey my deep seated appreciation & recognition for his pivotal & highly respected role in the evolution of pinball history. Wayne mentioned he will be 99 on the 29 July, is pretty healthy & continues to drive-what a wonderful, brilliant & humble man!

#19 2 years ago

If you haven't already, download and listen to Clay Harrell interview Wayne, it's a fantastic interview. You really get a sense of just how humble he is. A great way to spend a few hours.

#20 2 years ago

Also he designed the first middle-pop... All-Star Basketball along with Marble Queen, Hawaiian Beauty, and a few others.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

If you haven't already, download and listen to Clay Harrell interview Wayne, it's a fantastic interview. You really get a sense of just how humble he is. A great way to spend a few hours.

He did a recent interview with Nick Baldridge on bingopodcast.

#22 2 years ago

Thanks jrpinball - Wayne was a wonderful interview. He has lead a fascinating life - growing up in the 1930s in Chicago, he has some fantastic stories about the early years of the industry.

He is truly a remarkable man, and I am honored that I had the opportunity to speak with him. I have listened to Clay's interview several times (http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=30).

My interview has a few great new stories (http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/episode-392-interview-with-wayne-neyens-01-18-2017), and I am very excited for the next issue of Pinball Magazine, which is supposed to be a game-by-game retrospective on Wayne Neyens as well!

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Thanks jrpinball - Wayne was a wonderful interview. He has lead a fascinating life - growing up in the 1930s in Chicago, he has some fantastic stories about the early years of the industry.
    He is truly a remarkable man, and I am honored that I had the opportunity to speak with him. I have listened to Clay's interview several times (http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=30).
    My interview has a few great new stories (http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/episode-392-interview-with-wayne-neyens-01-18-2017), and I am very excited for the next issue of Pinball Magazine, which is supposed to be a game-by-game retrospective on Wayne Neyens as well!

Oh wow looking forward to listening to and reading these. Thanks for posting this.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

I listened to it last night.
    Love these interviews with surviving pinball greats.

2 months later
    #25 1 year ago

Happy Birthday Wayne !!

IMG_1320 (resized).JPG

#26 1 year ago

is that 98 or 99 or 100?

and it may be a bit early.

#27 1 year ago

Happy birthday Wayne. You designed a couple real masterpieces here. Especially the Frontiersman. Thank you. I can only imagine how many nickels it took in back in the day. And still does.

DSCN5488 (resized).JPG

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

is that 98 or 99 or 100?
    and it may be a bit early.

Wayne will turn 99 July 29th 2017. Pinball Magazine is collecting birthday wishes for Wayne, will group these in a document and send that to him on the 29th.

#29 1 year ago

Happy birthday here too! Encountered many of his lovely games on the tour!

#30 1 year ago

Ninety nine!!! God bless! Happy Birthday, Wayne!!!

#31 1 year ago

Happy Birthday Wayne,

Who would have thought in the year 2017, people would be playing your games in their living rooms!

I have a row of 10 of your games, starting with The 4 Horsemen 1950 and ending with Ace High 1957. Of the games I have, I think your best design would be Marble Queen 1953 - a player's delight.

Or maybe Diamond Lill 1955 with it's stunning light show and inner loop. A game before it's time. Or even Sweet Add A Line with it's 26 credit jackpot.

Your games won't be forgotten, so many varied designs, with plenty of hooks for players to become enticed by the various rewards on offer. The era of the 'multiple ways to win' was fantastic and playing those games in the 1950's must have been an addictive experience.

Have a great day.

#32 1 year ago

Does anyone have an address where I can write to Mr. Neyens? PM if you can help me send a letter to this wonderful designer!

#33 1 year ago

Happy birthday yet once again Wayne! So is Wayne the last of the EM designers around? Something tells me yes being 99 years old...........

#34 1 year ago

em-pinman some of the transitional guys are still here - Jim Patla, John Osborne, and Greg Kmiec.

I believe Wayne Neyens is the oldest living credited pinball designer.

A Very Happy 99th Birthday, Wayne!

#35 1 year ago

Happy 99th birthday Mr. Neyens - you are a true GIANT among pinball designers!

THANK YOU for the many, many fantastic games that you have created! They have brought joy to countless folks throughout the world and will continue to do so far into the future.

#36 1 year ago

Happy Birthday Wayne! Thanks for Cover Girl and Rack-A-Ball plus many, many others. But especially Rack-A-Ball. I've only racked up all 12 balls 3 times in over 50 years of playing the game, on the street and in my home. Such a great design that it was used two more times. Bowling Queen and Mibs. Genius!

#37 1 year ago

Happy Birthday Wayne. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions. I proudly show your signature on two of my games - Oklahoma and Rockettes. Best wishes!

Oklahoma (resized).jpg

Gottlieb Rockettes (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago

Happy birthday sir. Thank you for entertaining millions of people over the years. You're a giant in the industry

#39 1 year ago

Happy Birthday Mr. Neyens!

I have eight of your games sir, and all are keepers and played regularly. Thank you for them!

Quintette
    Criss Cross (my avatar pic)
    Sittin' Pretty
    HI-DIVER
    Wagon Train
    Dancing Dolls
    World Fair
    Buckaroo

#40 1 year ago

We love you Wayne! May you continue to be blessed with good health and longevity. Your designs are the best ever. You have a legacy that will outlive all of us. I know you probably never dreamed you would have such a following back when you were just going to work every day. What you created years ago is still entertaining us to this day. We love our EM games that came to be through you and the other legendary designers of the past. Happy, happy, happy birthday!!!!!

#41 1 year ago

Have a happy birthday, Wayne!

I'm working on a 'Sittin' Pretty' right now and can't wait to get her playing!

Also have 'Straight Shooter' which is excellent. My 'Joker' needs work.

Used to own 'Rocket Ship' (pretty), 'Guys Dolls' (odd) and 'Quintette' (tough!).

But I have to say that 'K. C. Jones' is one of my favorite woodrails. Made sure it played great when a pinball league visited a couple weeks ago. Love it.

So many great pinball designs, thanks!

100_2026 (resized).JPG

#42 1 year ago

So nice to be able to speak with you a few months back. You are a legend & an extraordinary individual. A para which I think really is you goes 'in life be judged not what you do but what you leave'. On that score Wayne you have created a wonderful legacy. Take care

#43 1 year ago

Happy birthday, Wayne!

Thought I'd wait and do this on the actual day, just for the novelty.

#44 1 year ago

My brother was working at PBR today. He just phoned me and told me that he and Steve phoned Wayne, and had a nice conversation with him. He's doing well, and is celebrating his birthday with his daughter, or daughters (not sure if he has more than one). For ninety-nine, he's still pretty sharp. He mentioned something about pulling out the schematic for "Queen of Hearts" and reworking some of the circuits! God bless him!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 159.00
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.00
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside