7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

Just reminding people that Pac-Man was first tested in an arcade in Japan 36 years ago today. Yet another reminder that I'm getting older. Anyone wanna share memories/stories involving that little dot gobbling freak?

#2 7 years ago

It ate a lot of my quarters! Still love Pac-Man!

#3 7 years ago

Was reading they sold 100,000 upright machines in the US alone and worldwide (with bootlegs) was like 250,000 machines.

#4 7 years ago

Some might say that the Pac Man craze was the beginning of the demise of pinball as far as arcades go. Perhaps not an event to celebrate here on Pinside!

We certainly had a ton of PacMan cabinets back then. And its was a bit amazing how many different "kits" we installed by Midway to try to keep them earning. Nothing did as well until Ms Pac Man came along. Midway knew its strength and didn't offer Ms in a kit. We had to buy a new cabinet to get them. And they couldn't build them fast enough so the distributors were limited as to the number they received and they obviously played favorites when it came to who they would sell to first.

So, along came the bootleg chip kitting to convert regular Pac Man boards over to Ms Pac.

#5 7 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_game#List_of_highest-grossing_arcade_video_games

looks like Space Invaders has earned more. I guess it pays to be first.

#6 7 years ago

"Some might say that the Pac Man craze was the beginning of the demise of pinball as far as arcades go. Perhaps not an event to celebrate here on Pinside! "

Thought about that but considering it sufficent representation (Mr. & Mrs Pac-Man, Baby Pac-Man) I thought it was worthy of attention.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/happy-birthday-pac-man-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.