Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3AJ39_AW01.JPG
    image-663.jpg
    image-588.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Over the years, I've been frustrated more than once when I needed a specific resistor, and couldn't find it locally. I buy lots of resistors, but from time to time, I'll get a board in that someone has robbed parts off of, or something is burnt up that I've never faced before.

Radio shack has some. They have assortments, but they aren't labeled well. You can read color codes and figure out each value, but it's a pain in the butt to find the right value.

When I know I need a specific value, I order 25-100 of that value from GPE, Big Daddy, Mouser, etc. But, that does nothing for the time you need a unique value, and don't have it! So, you place an order for just that value resistor, and the shipping is often more than the resistors.

So, I was thinking, I'll just order 25 of each value from somewhere, and I'll never have this problem again. But then I thought, how do I organize them all?

I need one more container of parts in my shop like I need water in my shoes!

While googling for good ways to organize resistors, I found this:

image-663.jpgimage-663.jpgimage-588.jpgimage-588.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Every standard 1/4 watt value up to 1M for about 20 bucks. 10 of each value. 10 isn't much of a supply, but as I use them, I can order 100 of each size I use.

The file cabinet style drawer is handy.

#2 9 years ago

Nice find.

Works out to be about $0.013 per resistor.

Course, when I went to check out the site, it was "offline for maintenance". Sigh. Guess I'll have to try again later.

#3 9 years ago

nice. Are they standard 3 color resistors? A friend of mine found a similar purchase on ebay for resistors and caps, but the resistors were 4 color bands (plus a 5th for tolerance) so all of the bands are a different standard than what I was used to.

#4 9 years ago

I've always considered getting some of these kits from China:
    http://smart-prototyping.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_70_126
    but haven't bit the bullet yet due to shipping time / costs.

#5 9 years ago

I've been using Jameco kits since 2004 and they're a great starting point. They also come in high quality cabinets with drawer labels.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c142/P32.pdf

#6 9 years ago

The probegeek.com site still appears to be offline. Wonder what's going on

#7 9 years ago

This just happened to me a few days ago and I ended up putting together an entire $50 GPE order based around the fact I didn't have any 68 ohm resistors. I'll definitely be picking one of these up. Thanks for the tip, John!

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The probegeek.com site still appears to be offline. Wonder what's going on

John must have broke it

#9 9 years ago

Wow, I really like that box. I've always hated using big parts storage containers because I had like 5 resistors in some values, and it seemed like a waste to take up an entire drawer in a storage unit like this:

3AJ39_AW01.JPG3AJ39_AW01.JPG
    #10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wow, I really like that box. I've always hated using big parts storage containers because I had like 5 resistors in some values, and it seemed like a waste to take up an entire drawer in a storage unit like this

Ditto. The parts drawers take up a lot of space, and I liked the idea of a single box that the OP posted photos of. I'm quickly running out of room in my workshop area, and have been trying to keep things as condensed as possible. I was hoping to pick up a box, but as indy5mike says, John must've broken the site

#11 9 years ago

It's got me thinking about something like this:

http://www.columbiasportscard.com/Shoe-Storage-Box-1600-Ct_p_19786.html

2"x3" bags would stand up nicely on each side like baseball cards would, but I'm not near a resistor to measure. Are uncut ones short enough to fit in a 3" baggie?

http://www.amazon.com/Beadaholique-Count-Resealable-Zipper-3-Inch/dp/B00AFRWKRO/ref=pd_tcs_compl_hi_2

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

nice. Are they standard 3 color resistors? A friend of mine found a similar purchase on ebay for resistors and caps, but the resistors were 4 color bands (plus a 5th for tolerance) so all of the bands are a different standard than what I was used to.

These are 1% metal film resistors, so they use 4 color bands and a tolerance band. Yeah, that is a pain in the behind. Perhaps there's a place to get a similar assortment in carbon film.. I'll look around.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Wow, I really like that box. I've always hated using big parts storage containers because I had like 5 resistors in some values, and it seemed like a waste to take up an entire drawer in a storage unit like this:

The Trick is to group resistors by "decade". i.e. everything y * 10 to the x in a drawer (each one in their own little bag, or subdivided.

i.e. you would have 3.3, 33, 330, 3.3K, 33K etc in one drawer. Same for 4.7, 47, 470 ...... Using E12 series, you only need 12 drawers.

You can use a dedicated drawer each for especially popular values, like 330, 470, 1K, 10K etc.

Same can be done for caps.

#15 9 years ago

I see a 1/2 watt assortment on ebay:

ebay.com link: 50 Values Total 500pcs 10pcs Each 1 1 2W Metal Film Resistor Assorted Kit

I generally go through more half watters than quarter watters.

#16 9 years ago

Site's still offline for maintenance, BTW.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Little_Brutus:

The Trick is to group resistors by "decade". i.e. everything y * 10 to the x in a drawer (each one in their own little bag, or subdivided.

Excellent tip!

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Radio shack has some. They have assortments, but they aren't labeled well. You can read color codes and figure out each value, but it's a pain in the butt to find the right value.

If you ever get one of those giant assortments and they are not labeled, just read each strand with your meter, and write the value on the tape.

Saves you tons of time if you don't know your resistor color codes.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you ever get one of those giant assortments and they are not labeled, just read each strand with your meter, and write the value on the tape.
    Saves you tons of time if you don't know your resistor color codes.

I've been trying to force myself to learn

Really is a valuable skill.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I've been trying to force myself to learn

Really is a valuable skill.

bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well

#21 9 years ago

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls But Violet Generally Wins

- or -

Bad Boys R@pe Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly (sorry if this offends...)

#22 9 years ago

What are the measurements on the op box? Looks like it may be a single card style box that you can get at any card/comic book store. Of course then you need to get some small baggies, and a label maker, to mark everything, that's what's nice about the kit, It's all done for you.

#23 9 years ago

Ok here is a quick dumb question. What is the difference between the metal film, and carbon film resistors? Is it only how they are made?

#24 9 years ago

It's easy. black brown rainbow gray white; with rainbow being, red orange yellow green blue purple.

This matches Williams wiring for their controlled lamps, switches and just about everything else. Only they start with brown and use the black for redundant colors i.e. black stripe on red wire in place of red stripe on red wire.

#25 9 years ago

The 1/4W assortment is on sale for $8.99 shipped:

ebay.com link: ebay.com

#26 9 years ago

There are a few sets on Amazon. I think this is the one I have. It has had what I needed so far.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E9Z0OCG

#27 9 years ago

The Amazon kit only has 16 different values. With 145 values, the one on eBay is pretty incredible bang for your buck.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

The Amazon kit only has 16 different values. With 145 values, the one on eBay is pretty incredible bang for your buck.

This is true! Might need to get one of those.

#29 9 years ago

Wait, what is the difference between the two eBay listings? One shows as $188 and the other $8.99... is the box the difference? Not sure if cardboard is worth $180!

ebay.com link: 145 Values Total 1450pcs 1 1 4W Metal Film Resistor Assortment Box Kit 1009

ebay.com link: 1450pcs 145Value 10pcs Each 1 1 4W Metal Film Resistor Assortment Kit

#30 9 years ago

Yeah, looks like a misplaced decimal point. You'd need a steamer trunk to store $188 in 1/4W resistors.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

The 1/4W assortment is on sale for $8.99 shipped:
    ebay.com link

just ordered two one for me and one for a buddy.... thanks for this thread

#32 9 years ago

I guess the sale's over... I just went to buy one and they're $14 now.

#33 9 years ago

Here is the correct priced item in the box: ebay.com link: itm

Thanks John for the idea!

2 months later
    #34 9 years ago

In case anyone was wondering, the 145 value kits are all back in stock. I just happened to check today when looking for parts/supplies.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

In case anyone was wondering, the 145 value kits are all back in stock. I just happened to check today when looking for parts/supplies.

Thanks for the heads up, I grabbed one. I've already got plenty of resistors, but I really like the sleeve box and baggies.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks for the heads up, I grabbed one. I've already got plenty of resistors, but I really like the sleeve box and baggies.

Yep, me too--it's a nice and tidy arrangement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/handy-purchase-resistors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.